Conclusion – “Adieu, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye”

Verdant Conclusion   Huey

It is with a heavy heart that I must take my leave from Random Curiosity, the home to all of my musings, ramblings, and essays for nearly a year and a half now. Back in the olden days of fall 2011 when my blogging career here first began, I was nervous as all hell. Worries about what people would think of my writing raced through my mind as I began watching that first episode. Yet with every word, every paragraph, and every post, I discovered that although my vocabulary may not be as expansive and my sentence structure not as eloquent as some of the other writers, I still loved to write.

In every post, I hoped to have a thesis that would help readers see an episode in a different light and more importantly, appreciate it in a different way. This was my philosophy behind writing for Random Curiosity, and now that my time here is over, I hope that I have been able to accomplish this goal once in a while so that my time and yours have not been spent in vain. Even on the days when an unfinished post seemed to stare at me for hours on end, my fingers would continue their staccato rhythm and my mind kept searching for an episode’s common thread – all because I wanted to present my best work to the readers.

I cannot express enough of my gratitude that you, the readers, have actually read and even liked my thousand-word plus essays, and I especially cherish the wonderful comments you’ve left that have helped me realize what my strengths as a writer are, what my voice is. Without you, I would not have become half the writer I am today, and I will be appreciative of that for the rest of my life. In a way, I consider you all my friends, bound together by a shared love for anime and for writing. Our friendship is also why I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize for all my faults. Each week I am constantly reminded that I am one of the slowest writers on Random Curiosity, and I am very sorry for all the delays. It was only so that I could bring the readers a post that lived up to my philosophy and wouldn’t let the readers down. My apologies that I will not be able to finish my coverage of PSYCHO-PASS, and that I left Hyouka without the closure such a noteworthy series deserved. I will try to continue writing about anime on a weekly or bimonthly basis to keep honing my writing skills, but on one of the writers’ blogs instead, which you can also find through my Twitter since Random Curiosity is probably not an appropriate place to link it outright.

TL;DR – I will no longer be writing at Random Curiosity, but I will forever be thankful to the readers who read my essays, left great comments, and above all, helped me become a better writer.

January 28, 2013 at 8:00 pm
  • January 29, 2013 at 12:47 pmSeishun Otoko

It’s incredibly sad to see such a great talent leave us, but our loss is Stereoman.ei-n.com’s gain and I’m glad you’ll still be staying close to the RandomC community. I’ve enjoyed your work immensely and anyone who follows your posts knows your writing is engagingly readable and prodigiously detailed. Informed by your sensible insights across a great portfolio of anime reviews, I was especially inspired by the very well-written impressions on Nisemonogatari and the recent Nekomonogatari. I can’t think of anyone else who can frame the description of the infamous “toothbrush scene” as tastefully as you did and your excellent work is certainly one of the most authoritative account of the why, how and what of NisiOisiN’s marvelously complex saga. Even though your coverage of PSYCHO-PASS was cut short, you’ve certainly set a precedent that would be hard to follow and your comprehensive analysis that takes us brilliantly through such an opaque dystopian sci-fi will be greatly missed.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, while the slack in timeliness is not the most ideal, you’ve stayed true to your philosophy behind writing for RandomC and importantly, more than made up for it through your consistently insightful posts and insanely entertaining podcasts. It’s been a blast reading your walls of text, and I hope you’ve enjoyed the experience here as much as your readers. Best of luck and thanks again for everything!

• January 29, 2013 at 1:18 pmRockmanshii

I feel the same. The most recent example of your writing I experienced is how you managed to make Psycho Pass even deeper with your posts. I’ll really miss you Verdant.

• January 29, 2013 at 3:59 pmverdant

I’ll miss you too, and I’m very happy you really felt my PSYCHO-PASS posts helped you appreciate the show in a deeper way. Thanks for reading!

• January 29, 2013 at 3:58 pmverdant

I am very honored that you consider me as a great talent, and I will do my best to stay as close as I can with to the RandomC community. A writer can receive no higher praise than the compliments you’ve given me, and for that I am immensely grateful and thankful. I’m really glad you found my Monogatari and PSYCHO-PASS posts useful and inspiring, as I was always wary that the analyses I made were too far-fetched.

Your words of encouragement have definitely made my day, as I am very glad that you felt my posts more than made up for my tardiness. I have enjoyed my experience here, largely thanks to readers like you, so thank you for your kind words, for reading and commenting, and for your support!

• January 29, 2013 at 1:21 pmHighway

Best of luck to you, Verdant, and enjoy yourself in all you do.

• January 29, 2013 at 4:00 pmverdant

Thanks Highway, for reading, for commenting, and for your kind wishes.

• January 29, 2013 at 1:28 pmriii

And now the site is less appealing once more.

• January 29, 2013 at 4:01 pmverdant

Nah, I’m sure it hasn’t lost an ounce of its appeal for many readers, but I am also very flattered that you think that way. Thanks for reading =)

• January 29, 2013 at 2:54 pmxin

All the best, I will definitely miss your posts especially covering a few of my favourite series the previous year.

• January 29, 2013 at 4:03 pmverdant

Yeah, I don’t know how I lucked out and was able to cover so many amazing and fun series over the previous year. I will miss writing them, and more than that I will miss great readers like you. Thank you for everything.

• January 29, 2013 at 4:43 pmNatsu

I love you don’t leave your the best the site has to offer :(

• January 29, 2013 at 9:11 pmverdant

I’m very flattered you think I’m the best, thank you so much for reading my posts =)

• January 29, 2013 at 5:39 pmFishyface

Dear Verdant, Thank you for your posts that you have done for the last few years . They have been very enjoyable to read. I very much enjoyed your Dantalian no Shoka comments as well as your Psycho Pass, Fate/Zero. You shall be very missed and I hope your future is bright and enjoyable for the years to come. So thank you Verdant for all your work that you have given us.

• January 29, 2013 at 9:13 pmverdant

I’m very glad you enjoyed reading my posts on PSYCHO-PASS and Fate/Zero, although I’m afraid I wasn’t responsible for the Dantalian no Shoka ones. Thank you for your kind words, for your appreciation of what I have done on RandomC, and especiall for reading my posts.

• January 29, 2013 at 6:25 pmJel

I am pained to hear that you’re leaving, Verdant. You were my favorite writer since Omni, and I enjoyed your posts the most. I actually liked your posts to the point where I would make sure to watch the shows you blogged. I particularly loved reading your posts from Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Nisemonogatari. It was great having you around, and I hope to see your posts again be it here, or at another site. Let us know if you do. Best of luck with the future. Hope we cross paths once more. 8)

• January 29, 2013 at 9:15 pmverdant

Thank you so much, your compliment is one of the highest that any RandomC writer would ever want to hear, and I am extremely flattered that you think so. It brings me great happiness that you would go as as to watch the shows I blogged about, and I’d like to thank you for your kind words and for being such a wonderful and loyal reader. I’ll never forget amazing readers like you whom I have been lucky to have here on RandomC.

• January 29, 2013 at 7:48 pmgrey

Wow! It’s exam time for me, so I haven’t checked on RC in a few days. And I come back to this awful news. Ultimate sad face. 8(

Verdant, thank you very much for your work here on RC. Your posts have been some of the most insightful analysis about anime I’ve ever read, so it’s quite disappointing that such a strong interpreter/writer is leaving the crew. RC is a little less stronger without you here!
    I’ll also miss your voice in future postcasts. /cries

• January 29, 2013 at 9:18 pmverdant

Sorry to put a damper on your exam time like this! Thank you very much for reading, and especially for your compliments. It means a lot to me knowing I was appreciated here. Your kind words won’t ever be forgotten =)

• January 29, 2013 at 7:59 pmDorian

Verdant, thank you for your work on Random Curiousity. Though I rarely posted on your blogs, I really enjoyed how well thought out they were and I always made sure to read the shows you blogged. Like the current Psycho and Monogatari, which convinced me to watch them.

Though I’ll miss your work, I hope you find enjoyment in whatever you do!

• January 29, 2013 at 9:22 pmverdant

Thank you for reading my work, I don’t mind if you rarely posted =) I am glad to hear you enjoyed my posts and the style in which they were written, and especially happy that I could convince you to watch PSYCHO-PASS and the Monogatari series – I’m sure all the bloggers here aspire towards being able to convince their readers to watch a show. I will definitely miss loyal readers like you very much, and thank you for the kind for your kind words.

• January 29, 2013 at 8:40 pmhoiut

Your departure leaves a gap in RC that can never be filled. Your writing has been of such remarkable quality and depth that I can’t envision your style ever being eclipsed on this blog, regardless of the talents of other writers here at RC. Those juicy bits of lucid philosophical and analytical insight you’ve treated us to will endure as some of the finest displays of talent I’ve witnessed here to date.

Best of luck in all future affairs!
    -h

• January 29, 2013 at 9:25 pmverdant

I am truly honored and flattered with your kind words, and it brings me great joy as a writer to hear my work so appreciated. I don’t think I could ever forget how lucky I feel to have such wonderful readers. I couldn’t have done it without the support and feedback from all of you who have inspired me to do what I do. Thank you for everything!

• January 29, 2013 at 8:58 pmwaystland

I usually never comment, but I feel I should. The fact that you’re responding to nearly all of these farewell comments speaks volumes about your character. If we knew nothing else about you, that would have been enough. Take care, Verdant. You will be missed.

• January 29, 2013 at 9:28 pmverdant

I’m usually not much of a commenter myself either, so that’s why I am very happy that you’ve taken the time to say goodbye to me because it feels like it means that much more. Thank you for reading my posts, and for your kind words – I will always cherish them.

• January 29, 2013 at 9:14 pmra

Thank you for all of your insightful contributions and wonderful writing all this time. I looked forward to reading your posts. I wish you all the best for your future endeavours and I hope that you will keep up with your writing! You will be greatly missed =(

• January 29, 2013 at 9:30 pmverdant

Hearing that you looked forward to reading my posts is very inspiring to me as a writer, as does knowing that you enjoyed my contributions. Thank you for reading them and especially for your kind words. I will greatly miss readers like you as well =)

• January 29, 2013 at 10:14 pmnagi

Nooo :((( I’ve always awaited your Fate/Zero posts (though I don’t always comment), they are very insightful and I definitely saw each episode in a different light so kudos to you! I really liked your writing style BECAUSE your “vocabulary is not as expansive and sentence structure not as eloquent” as the others. The weight of your posts came from your deep insights and not from lengthy and flamboyant words so don’t you ever think that you’re inferior to the other writers. (not that I have problems with the other writers here..)

If you ever want to come back as an RC writer, don’t even hesitate for a second because you’re one of the charms of this site (for me at least). Good luck to you future endeavor!

• January 30, 2013 at 2:32 amverdant

I’m glad you enjoyed my Fate/Zero posts and that my blogging philosophy actually worked. =) And it means so much to hear that you liked my writing style. I hope that in my future writing I never lose sight of what readers like you appreciated. Thank you so much for reading, and especially for the kind words that I won’t forget anytime soon.

• January 30, 2013 at 3:06 amMi-Chan

I haven’t been on this website for long, well posting that is, I was just an adept reader who wanted to read other’s perspective besides mine. Thanks for your great effort though and I wish you all the best!

Cheers, xx!!!!

• January 30, 2013 at 3:41 pmverdant

Thank you for the kind words, it means a lot considering you haven’t commented for very long. I’m also really glad you liked reading my perspectives, thanks for reading them!

• January 30, 2013 at 4:02 amsygnl

I don’t usually comment here on RC (in fact, it’s just my second time), but the gravity of this event made me do so. I’m really sad that you’re leaving RC. I always look forward for your posts on Nisemonogatari, Psycho-Pass and (briefly on) Hyouka. I love your deep insights, going as far as trying to grasp the philosophical basis of the stories and characters. Thank you very much. Good luck and take care always!

• January 30, 2013 at 3:48 pmverdant

I’m usually not much of a commenter either so it means a great deal to me that you took the effort to leave your kind words. I am sad to be leaving as well, but I can rest easier knowing that you looked forward to my posts and loved what I was trying to accomplish with them. Thank you for everything!

• January 30, 2013 at 6:25 amtnadrev

lets boycott this site becoz divine fired verdant

• January 30, 2013 at 6:25 amAltstrike93

I felt this was so sudden… I liked your writing style. Enjoyed every of your posts in Random Curiosity… Goodbye,take care and have a good life. :)

• January 30, 2013 at 3:50 pmverdant

Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you liked my writing style and enjoyed my posts. Always did worry a bit about them, haha =) Thank you for reading!

• January 30, 2013 at 7:49 amzeroomask

This is so sad and sudden……..words cannot express how I feel about you leaving randomc.
    I always look forward to your Fate/Zero posts every day of the week during its airing because you were the only person who is just as passionate about the show as I am and share similar views on how its story was told so it was always a treat when you do a post on that show.
    Goodbye,Verdant.I wish you the best of luck

• January 30, 2013 at 3:59 pmverdant

I’m very happy you looked forward to my Fate/Zero posts and shared my views on it. Makes me feel that writing was all the more worthwhile. Thank for your kind words and for reading =)

• January 30, 2013 at 8:20 amtnadrev

• January 30, 2013 at 8:45 ampokpok

one philosopher left , now I can’t read your awesome essay ! Verdant !
    Auf wiedersehen I will say this because I expect to see you again!

• January 30, 2013 at 4:01 pmverdant

Glad you thought my essays were awesome haha! Thank you for reading and for the kind words.

• January 30, 2013 at 8:49 amHikari

Hey Verdant, thanks a lot for your hard work on RC, particularly on Psycho Pass! I really wish you could stay for till the closure of the series, since I would have never been able to appreciate the series in such mesmerizing angles without your intereting analyses. I wish you all the best :) and hopefully still drop by to share your insights! (Also looking forward to you on Stereoman’s blog!)

• January 30, 2013 at 4:04 pmverdant

Hey Hikari, thank you for the kind words. I wish I could stay to finish it off as well, since it’s probably one of the most interesting shows I have ever covered and each episode is just ripe for analysis. I’m glad I could help you appreciate the series more, even if just a little bit. Thank you for reading!

• January 30, 2013 at 2:55 pmBeepers

This is the worst news I’ve read on randomc… (T_T) and made all the more awful that it was posted on my birthday. I’ve enjoyed every one of your Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass postings and was looking forward to reading more reviews!! Thank you for all your work but is there any way you’d change your mind?

• January 30, 2013 at 4:09 pmverdant

Happy belated birthday, I’m sorry you had to read bad news like this on your special day. I am very happy that you enjoyed my Fate/Zero and PSYCHO-PASS posts, and I’d like to thank you for reading them and especially for your kind words. =)

• January 30, 2013 at 4:37 pmIcarusFW

I’ve only been visiting and lurking a short while, but I’ve found that the post by the writers on this site have been interesting, informative and insightful. It’s always a shame to see contributors leave, but if it’s to pastures greener and challenges new, then it’s for the best, and hopefully you’ll have great luck and fun experiences wherever you go.

• January 31, 2013 at 12:48 amverdant

Thank you for your well-wishes and for reading my posts.

• January 30, 2013 at 4:46 pmkumakaori

Yeesh! I almost missed this entirely were it not for the “Recent Comments” sidebar. Thank you for your efforts, Verdant. May life see you onto even more grand adventures and exploits ^-^~~

• January 31, 2013 at 12:50 amverdant

Thank you for reading my posts and especially for your kind words, kumakaori. =)

• January 31, 2013 at 2:00 amVince

A huge hit to RandomC, one of the most interesting writers nature has ever crafted. Please take good care of yourself!

• January 31, 2013 at 10:48 pmverdant

Thanks for the compliment, not sure if I really live up to it but your kind words are appreciated nonetheless!

• January 31, 2013 at 2:24 amZen

I pop onto the site after returning from the holidays and literally the first thing I see is this sad news. I’m gonna miss you Verdant, your articles were some of the most intelligent and comprehensive that this site has ever seen. The quality of your posts completely made up for any lack of timeliness; they were always worth the wait, and always a great pleasure to read. I wish there was some way that I could make you stay, but I know full well that when greater things call, the lesser must give way. So I salute you sir, you are without a doubt one of the best writers to ever grace this site; I’m pretty sure that you still hold the record for the longest-ever RC episodic post. You’re awesome, and I’m certain that you will find the utmost success in all your future endeavors…;)

• January 31, 2013 at 10:52 pmverdant

Sorry for adding to your post-holidays malaise, haha! I’m gonna miss readers like you as well, since you left some pretty great comments that were quite rewarding to read. In a way, they also inspired me to write posts in the hopes of seeing similar comments to yours. I am truly honored by your compliments and cannot thank you enough for them. They have made me feel that my time here was appreciated and won’t be easily forgotten. Thanks for reading, for commenting, and for your kind words.

• January 31, 2013 at 4:14 amNeko-tail

Thank you, verdant, for sharing your writing experience at RC. It was good to read your story. Though I do not visit RC as often as I used to these days, I enjoyed your posts and others’ responses on Fate/Zero etc. Thank you for all of your work and efforts!

• January 31, 2013 at 10:54 pmverdant

I am glad I was able to share my story with you, and it means a lot to me that you’ve taken the time to leave kind words despite not visiting RC that often nowadays. Thank you for everything!

• January 31, 2013 at 9:14 amlaaa

• January 31, 2013 at 10:54 pmverdant

And to you, thank you as well..

• January 31, 2013 at 10:07 amLadibug

Best of luck in all that you do, Verdant! Thank you for your contributions to RC, hope you’ll still lurk around as a reader and occasional opinion-giver! You will be missed here, my fellow Kiritsugu Emiya fan. :)

• January 31, 2013 at 10:56 pmverdant

Thanks for the kind words, I’ll try to lurk around although I’m not sure if all of my opinions can even fit in this tiny little comment box. =p I will miss being here as well – I mean who wouldn’t when there are wonderful readers like you to brighten my day. =)

• February 1, 2013 at 1:31 amAce

Verdant I want to point out two things:

1) I’m relatively new to RandomC, but every week I’d refresh the feed on Thursdays waiting for your philosophical pieces on Psycho-Pass. They were a true pleasure to read and as a fellow writer and anime aficionado they were truly a highlight of my week. Thank you.

2) Sadly I’ll need to go back and read up on Fate/Zero, but if this single post is any indication, you have some of the most well-behaved and thoughtful readers and commenters here on RC. And *that* is saying something.

Peace out.

• February 2, 2013 at 11:07 amverdant

Hey thanks, glad you enjoyed my posts on PSYCHO-PASS, hearing that they were a highlight for you really means a lot to me. Yeah, I really appreciate my readers and commenters here on RC, and it’s probably what I will miss the most about RC. Thanks for reading and for the kind words.

• February 1, 2013 at 7:32 amfoureyeszerosoul

Good luck and Godspeed to you on your new path in life, Verdant. *Takes of his cap and salutes Verdant*

• February 2, 2013 at 11:07 amverdant

Thanks for reading and the well-wishes.

• February 6, 2013 at 6:52 amoka

.goodbye verdant.. :) we will miss you.. oh no. zanibas is still biased

• « Older Comments