Minami-ke Tadaima – 05 »« Minami-ke Tadaima – 03

Minami-ke Tadaima – 04

Minami ke Tadaima   04   01 Minami ke Tadaima   04   02 Minami ke Tadaima   04   03
Minami ke Tadaima   04   04 Minami ke Tadaima   04   05 Minami ke Tadaima   04   06
Minami ke Tadaima   04   07 Minami ke Tadaima   04   08 Minami ke Tadaima   04   09
Minami ke Tadaima   04   10 Minami ke Tadaima   04   11 Minami ke Tadaima   04   12
Minami ke Tadaima   04   13 Minami ke Tadaima   04   14 Minami ke Tadaima   04   15
Minami ke Tadaima   04   16 Minami ke Tadaima   04   17 Minami ke Tadaima   04   18
Minami ke Tadaima   04   19 Minami ke Tadaima   04   20 Minami ke Tadaima   04   21
Minami ke Tadaima   04   22 Minami ke Tadaima   04   23 Minami ke Tadaima   04   24
Minami ke Tadaima   04   25 Minami ke Tadaima   04   26 Minami ke Tadaima   04   27
Minami ke Tadaima   04   28 Minami ke Tadaima   04   29 Minami ke Tadaima   04   30
Minami ke Tadaima   04   31 Minami ke Tadaima   04   32 Minami ke Tadaima   04   33
Minami ke Tadaima   04   34 Minami ke Tadaima   04   35 Minami ke Tadaima   04   36

「この青い夏空の下で男は汗を流す」 (Kono Aoi Natsu Sora no Shita de Otoko wa Ase o Nagasu)
“The man sweats under the blue summer sky”

He’s baaaaaaaaaack…

First off, let me apologize for false advertising in last week’s post – Yoshino and Mako-chan look a lot alike in a nun’s habit. In principle I’d say that one episode in 4 is not nearly enough for Makoto/-chan (though in point of fact, he’s actually not in the manga all that much either) but I’m enjoying the rest of the series so much that it’s impossible to get too upset over it. And the long-awaited return of Hosaka (Ono Daisuke – so help me, I hear Llama-san every time Hosaka speaks now) does a lot to soften the blow.

Minami-ke’s two most memorable side characters form a sort of polar opposites chart of the male masculinity scale (with Fujioka more or less right in the middle). Hosaka, like Makoto, doesn’t actually show up all that often but again, like Makoto, those appearances tend to be memorable. It’s safe to say there’s no other character quite like Hosaka – he’s both extremely cool and a complete loser, a genius at many things but an utter baka at common sense, the guy the girls can’t deny is easy on the eyes who usually manages to freak them out completely with his random, usually harmless but often hilariously disturbing antics. Ironically the one girl most unaffected by his theatrics is the one he generally engages in them to try and woo, Haruka – though that’s largely due to Hayami (Saeko Chiba) distracting him with her trolling at every turn.

For starters this week, we have a main course – the bento Hosoka has prepared for Haruka in his latest attempt to win her heart. Thanks to Hayami those bentos never find their intended target, and Hosoka usually ends up spending the most time interacting with the two girls most freaked out by him, Maki (Takagi Reiko) and Atsuko (Ono Ryouko). The funniest part of this chapter for me, though, is Hosaka’s interaction with Natsuki (his rival in unrequited love for Haruka-sama), who’s continually skeeving off volleyball practice to cook for the family. Hosaka prepares the entire family a meal the day after Natsuki’s latest absence, delivered with the memorable (“It’s nothing any volleyball coach wouldn’t do”). Natsuki’s reactions make the scene, especially his non-explanation to the ever-clueless Hosaka about why people might misinterpret his acceptance of a giant bento from his sempai.

The focus stays with the high-schoolers as Hitomi visits the Minami estate for advice on how she might win the heart of Natsuki by cooking for him and becoming “more like an adult”. Kana’s suggestion for “adult cooking” – wearing nothing but an apron – is on-point but a little bold for Hitomi’s tastes. A full on blast of Hosaka weirdness surrounding “browning” ensues. After this we have the return of yet another of the first season’s gems, “Teruterubozu Chiaki”. There’s an overabundance of loli cuteness here, but not in the somewhat unsettling way of shows like Haganai – watching Chiaki, Touma, Yoshino and Uchida frolic in the rain and then hop into the bath is adorable without being exploitive. I don’t deny it’s fanservice, but it’s just damn cute (not least Chiaki with a towel on her head). The dilemma of the moment is the relentless rain (thus the Teruterubozu) that’s kept the Minami Sisters’ clothes and towels from drying, creating quite a dilemma with four grade-schoolers in the bath whose cloths are soaked. It’s Touma to the rescue – in addition to the emergency maid uniform she’s crafted the Minamis, she’s also made them emergency nun’s habits. Why? This is the wrong series for that question.

My favorite chapter of the episode, though is definitely the next – which leads us back to the ever-fascinating Hosaka. Between his Michelin 3-star cooking, inappropriate disrobing and fantasizing about Haruka to a rock-guitar soundtrack (remixed) he’s found time to make a plate – literally, as in forming it from clay and baking it in a kiln. Why? Again, see above – but apparently no other vessel was glorious enough to hold the delicacies which never reach her lips anyway. The payoff here is when Maki accidentally breaks the plate (just by holding it, seemingly) and she and Atsuko perform an increasingly desperate pantomime in the background as Hosaka waxes eloquent about his dish, finally turning up with a tea kettle and distracting poor Hosaka into forgetting that it wasn’t the plate he slaved over. It’s a classic Minami-ke moment, worthy of any in the series 4 seasons. We wrap with a very short and silly chapter about cup noodles, lacking any big punchlines but a nice send-off featuring the Minami Sisters in their natural habitat.

Minami ke Tadaima   04   Preview 01 Minami ke Tadaima   04   Preview 02 Minami ke Tadaima   04   Preview 03
January 29, 2013 at 6:31 am
  • January 29, 2013 at 7:14 amUipt

The best part of the cup of noodles is Haruka in her dress

• January 29, 2013 at 7:26 amstarss

F***** Daisuke Ono! YES!

• January 29, 2013 at 7:46 amNekomimimeido

I TOTALLY want a Hosaka vs Natsuki showdown! Also Akira vs Fujioka. I’m siding with the danshi Minami’s.

• January 29, 2013 at 7:52 amZannafar

I really like Hitomi’s voice,
    but somehow her getting angry sounds a bit weak.

• January 29, 2013 at 8:19 amLGrey

I prefer S1 Teruterubozu, though. Maybe because Chiaki is “rounder” in it ^^
    This time she looks a little bit … angelic (sans wings)?

• January 29, 2013 at 8:27 amSherylfan

lol the demon quest eyecatchers are always hilarious.

Also I’m glad there is more Hitomi this season, her angry pouty voice is just so sweet.

Damn you Hayami, that lunch was for Haruka, stop being so interfering you mischievous you. I’m just waiting for more juice gags, she’s even more cunning when drunk.

• January 29, 2013 at 9:02 amNekomimimeido

I wonder what would be Hosaka / Natsuki’s reaction upon seeing drunk Haruka-sama! Hayami, call a juice party now!

• January 29, 2013 at 8:36 amjunglepenguin

The king is back, and so is Teru Teru Chiaki. I am very happy now.

• January 29, 2013 at 8:42 amFT5Havok

Haruka onee sama!

• January 29, 2013 at 9:13 amPrimeHector

Even Haruka nee sama believes in the teru teru chiaki

• January 29, 2013 at 9:43 amSkizzit

Touma’s emergency clothing has been my favorite thing added in this series and I hope it becomes a running gag. What’s next? Cheerleader uniforms? Magical girl outfits?

• January 29, 2013 at 10:09 amSeedStriker

While I’m hands down alright with Hosaka’s antics at any time, making Atsuko cry (and BTW, being superior to her in the kitchen) is bullying. Maybe not conscious bullying but one nonetheless. I truly like her (tall, cute girls deserve better, Japs!), and saddens me when she’s only used as comic relief…
    We need a poll for which costumes we prefer for Touma to make them.

• January 29, 2013 at 10:40 amNaiika

HOSAKA!!!! The best part of Minami-ke XD

• January 29, 2013 at 11:11 amFrau Kojiro

Hosaka positively delicious. He cooks, he has great abs, he’s insanely loyal and he’s an utter baka who is easy to manipulate, perfect boyfriend material if you ask me :3

• January 29, 2013 at 11:20 amGiorno Giovanna

Never understood why a few of the girls in the show called him creepy.
      From the very start, when he had a misunderstanding that his crush had 2 kids, his first reaction was to financially support all of them.
      Even when he personally cooked noodles and couldn’t deliver them, he climbed a nearby mountain and preached his love to the city.
      Not going to lie, he’s manly enough to go gay for.

• January 29, 2013 at 11:51 amhmong007

Gotta agree. That Hosaka is pretty gar.

• January 29, 2013 at 10:21 pmbitter

Actually, Hayami just want Hosaka for herself.

• February 1, 2013 at 8:46 pmRyner

EXACTLY! I at first think that Hayami just loves trolling the guy, but after 4 seasons and seeing her interfere with his efforts to go to Haruka is one thing. It’s a completely different matter when she gets Hosaka to cook for her and she “judges” his cooking, when all in all, I think she just wants the guy for herself lol

• January 29, 2013 at 12:23 pmStilts

“I hold within this body infinite potential.”

I love Kana. And Hosaka. I too randomly take my shirt off when the mood strikes! Though in my defense, I’ve usually been drinking. Or watching Minami-ke.

I missed this show so much :D

• January 30, 2013 at 2:31 amSeishun Otoko

You should only do that if you have dynamite abs like Hosaka XD
      Looks like it’s time to change your avatar, Stilts nii nii :3

• January 30, 2013 at 8:43 amjunglepenguin

I bet… You were drinking while watching Minami-ke. After seeing the king unbuttoning his shirt and looking as manly as Chuck Norris, you raged at your inferiority and tried to strip as well. Unfortunately, you were drunk, and couldn’t remove your T-shirt properly, so you ended up looking like Kana half in her maid uniform, except you have moobs and a beer belly, so you actually ended up looking like this belly-dancing guy: like something that no one should ever have to witness. (For the sake of your sanity, please DO NOT search for fat male belly dancers like I did. I need to go drown my eyes in mouthwash or something now.)

(Hehe, just kidding. Kinda.)

• January 29, 2013 at 1:27 pmexia

funniest episode yet.

• January 29, 2013 at 4:05 pmZhinvu

- Plate skit is my most favorite scene in this episode. Had to watch it twice. One so I could watch Hosaka’s monologue on plates. And the second time to focus on Maki and Atsuko panicking in the background. I wonder if that plate was just weakly made or Maki is just too strong to split it in half like that.

- Welcome back Teruterubouzu Chiaki. One of the big mysteries of this anime really is when the weather actually obeys her when she’s in that outfit.

• January 29, 2013 at 4:06 pmdrgnwing0

Pretty sure the plate broke in half because Hayami was flicking it in the scene before.

• January 31, 2013 at 10:25 amKyzel

Hosaka found test subjects . LOL Man, Hosaka is definitely unique. Great episode. XD. I’m calling nurse cosplay will be next!

• January 31, 2013 at 8:10 pmKaka

Hosaka is so awesome!!! He is my favorite part of Minamike XD Just can’t stop laughing every scene he is in