Bleach 528 – Nothing But The Rain »« Bleach 526 – Dirty Little Secret

Bleach 527 – Elimination

Bleach Manga   527   01

The developments certainly are heavy this week. After seeing Unohana’s farewell monologue, I think it’s fairly certain that she will actually die (though if her body remains intact…). Kenpachi is unsurprisingly devastated by the prospect of losing her, crying out several times as he holds her. With her death however, he has managed to unlock his true power, along with one more major piece in the game: his “partner”. All the evidence points to this voice belonging to his zanpakutou, though the scene is cut off before anything is confirmed. It’s hard to imagine how ridiculously powerful he will be now that he will have the full set of abilities and I’m pretty eager to see what he does next, but it is still disappointing that we will not be seeing Unohana in action against a real enemy.

Kubo also finally returns to Nimaiya’s palace, where Ichigo and Renji’s fight has concluded after three days. In an unexpected development, Renji has actually outperformed Ichigo by far. Things are not looking up for him, and his “epic fail” has earned him an ejection from Soul Society, with zero progress on repairing Zangetsu. In a way, I sort of feel bad for him – he’s gone through so much, from receiving powers from Rukia to forcing out Zangetsu to a crash course in bankai training to all sorts of other inner battles and training. He’s even reached a final stage beyond bankai and vizard abilities, then lost and gained his abilities back. And now, after all that, the creator of the zanpakutou tells him that he’s been doing things incorrectly from the beginning and will have to start over completely. I’m sure he’ll be fine at the end of his journey, so the big question now is, who the hell is Ichigo exactly, and who were his parents?

February 21, 2013 at 1:50 am
  • February 21, 2013 at 1:55 amDa5id

Yet another captain weasels their way out of showing us how their sword works.

And Ichigo’s been kicked out of his training arc into…another training arc in the human world?

• February 21, 2013 at 3:20 amrandom_ram

Kubo: Plotkai! *Kenpachi’s sword is Kidou based* Trololol

Ichigo’s dad is a shinigami. BUT! Ichigo gets powers from people he has contact explaining his Shinigami, Vizard and Fullbring powers. Isn’t him getting powers based on people he is near kinda like quincy abilities? But how does a quincy retain the soul particles in his body if it shows that it disperses?

Theory: Quincies are like solar panels energy in and energy out. Shinigamis are like batteries energy from within goes out. So Ichigo has a Quincy mom and a Shinigami dad that’s why he can retain the powers he absorbs. What do you guys think? =)

• February 21, 2013 at 4:39 amDa5id

Well, that would complement a theory I had about Vizored masks kind of being like circuit breakers, since they’re conditioned to break when the user can no longer mentally able of holding back their inner hollow.

• February 21, 2013 at 5:48 amNatsu

….but that’s not really ichigo’s dad ichigo’s dad is naruto

• February 21, 2013 at 9:05 amMovieKeeper

Just because they have a similar hairstyle, same hair color, special abilites and are both main characters in Jump doesn’t mean they are related

• February 21, 2013 at 10:41 amSortedevaras

The whole fullbringer arc was just a long training arc . . . now this chapter proves it was meaningless since he has to go train over again anyways to learn the heart of the cards or whatever. Way to waste some time. I foresee 2 more months of training milked out of this.

• February 21, 2013 at 1:56 amSkins Thunderbomb

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT SINCE THE FIRST ARC WHEN KEN-CHAN ASKED HIS SWORD HIS NAME *v*

I can’t wait to see him use his shikai/bankai abilities. Can’t. Wait.

(As for the rest of the chapter, shit be whack yo~)

• February 21, 2013 at 2:09 amDualash

Expect a lot of Chuck Norris jokes (though I’m glad that Kenpachi will get to show his shikai, he deserves it since he has relied on brute strength from the very beginning)

• February 21, 2013 at 4:03 amSekai

His aword is always in Shikai.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:09 amSkins Thunderbomb

I can’t wait, actually.

And also – for the love of all that is holy, just because a sword is always in shikai form doesn’t mean it’s always activated. Remember when Ichigo discovered his sword’s name, it changed form, and remained in said form from then on?

Since Kenpachi’s sword is the same, it is likely that his blade will change shape once he first calls out the sword’s name, same as Ichigo, and remain that way.

So can we PLEASE STOP with the goddamned shikai arguement? :/ That’s how it works, or has been shown to work. The End. Everyone go home.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:50 amDa5id

Except that Kenpachi doesn’t have to worry about losing his powers (TWICE) like Ichigo does, so chances are that his will stay the same while in Shikai form, which is his default.

• February 21, 2013 at 7:23 amLogan

I think Oetsu is right, I’m glad ichigo has to go WAY back to his roots. When you think of it, Ichigo treats his zanpakuto in a very unorthodox way. We have never seen ichigo call out zangetsu with an incantation. Fuck, he’s never even bothered. Ichigo is a lot like zaraki, he doesn’t bother with tricks, and gimmickry. He is also stubborn and impulsive. I understand zangetsu has been in shikai for most of the universe, but when you think of it, ichigo relies on a “cheat sheet” to defeat his opponents.

What I mean by this is he goes into battle, gets the crap beat out of him, and comes back super strong (The get stronger by training effect). Reaching bankai in 3 days, hollow taking over, then hollow mask. A part that was very revealing was when he fought Ulruqiorra, ichigo died that time. And hollow ichigo refused to go down. As Orihime cries for protection, ichigo commands himself to get up and protect.

Ichigo’s ultimate purpose in his mind is to protect others, and he cares very little for himself. This is where zangetsu is in pain, this is why zangetsu broke so easily. Ichigo cares very little of himself, and he hides in fear over his past. Whatever it may be, mom being quincy, dad being shinigami. He should have been asking all these questions right after he defeated Aizen. But he never did.

When Chad has a conversation with Urahara in hueco mundo, they talk about what does ichigo really want, and in the bottom of his heart ichigo wants to protect and by any means necessary, (cheat sheet – train – power up – defeat boss). Ichigo has no love for his zanpaktou, because instead of trying to recover his shinigami powers, he went out of his way and explored with full bring. Something that has nothing ot do with his relationship zangetsu. Urahara also says while in hueco mundo, that ichigo now needs to think of himself.

So yeah, the first thing he needs to do is have a long conversation with his father, and really dig in the back story of all of his fears.
        Ichigo you can do it!

• February 21, 2013 at 3:56 pmDualash

@Sekai: Ok,but I thought Ichigo’s zanpakutou was the only one that was in shikai all the time since the other captains showed that their skikai would activate when they called its name and since Zaraki doesn’t know his zanpakutou’s name yet, it would suggest that it isn’t in shikai.

• February 21, 2013 at 6:14 pmThe Big Guy

I believe his sword is always in shikai because its hilt was broken, and thus the sword couldn’t return to its original form.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:27 pmDualash

@The Big Guy: I looked around and found out that Ichigo’s sword is always in shikai because of his immense spirtual pressure, which without proper control, leaves Ichigo’s sword in shikai.In addition, I think that Ichigo didn’t break the hilt since zangetsu transformed that way and when he first appeared with zangetsu in shikai, the Ichigo’s sword was left looking like it didn’t have a hilt :)

• February 21, 2013 at 7:33 amKarmafan

His spirit is either going to be a huge monster type or the exact opposite and its some cute thing.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:24 pmKarmafan

Would be cool if his spirit turned out to be Unohana (as a plot twist).

• February 21, 2013 at 2:06 amjunglepenguin

A good comparison of plot progression for separate groups of characters in Bleach.

So be honest, guys: Would it have been better for the whole chapter (and the subsequent chapters to come) to be about Kenpachi, or did you think the shifting of focus back to Ichigo was fine?

• February 21, 2013 at 2:19 amjunglepenguin

And I’m expecting Kenpachi’s zanpakuto to be one that tames him, rather than give him explosive strength or powers. It wouldn’t make sense if his shikai give him like 10X more reiatsu or the power to spontaneously combust things or something. I also get the feeling that it might be key in keeping Unohana alive, but that’s just my wishful thinking.

• February 21, 2013 at 2:35 amDualash

I think the shift was needed because it lets us speculate to what could be Kenpachi’s zanpakutou in shikai form be (although we do know that it can’t be anything fancy because a zanpakutou reflects the wielder’s soul, so I’m guessing it going to appear simple, jagged, or really big). In addition we can also speculate to what Ichigo’s training because the person who invented zanpakutou makes a fair statement; Ichigo relied on his hollow powers most of the time and the only time Ichigo appeared to have a close connection to Zangetsu was when he performed final getsuga tensho.However, even when in the very beginning, Ichigo learned to use his hollow powers in order to defeat foes (like how the battle between Byakuya and Ichigo in the sereitei, Ichigo’s powers pushed Byakuya into a bind until Ichigo regained control)

Setting aside my rambling, I think the shift allows the readers to think and catch up with our thoughts to how Zaraki and Ichigo will develop.

• February 21, 2013 at 2:48 amCelecia01

I was just sighing throughout this entire chapter. Honestly, it felt like a massive let down. After finally getting to see Unohana’s true power, something that could kick ass against the new enemies, she dies. Kenpachi finally hearing his sword was cool, but then we find out that Ichigo has failed (despite how overpowered he has been before) his training and is kicked out of soul society so we can waste more time in the future re-visiting the previous castles while Renji continues on alone. I just felt that with this chapter, we went back a long way instead of making any progress.

On the upside, with Ichigo in the real world, maybe Uryu can finally get involved in this arc! For one about Quincies, I feel his appearance has been long overdue…seeing how he is the central character that relates mostly to this. Here’s hoping we get some Ishida developments in the near future.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:26 pmKarmafan

I cried over that too. Unohana’s death pisses me off so much. As far as Ichigo I’m not surprised at his failure considering his supposed link to Quicys (his mom).

• February 21, 2013 at 3:13 amPsithief

Ichigo was never given an Asauchi, he farted his Zanpaktou out of non-existence. It doesn’t seem unreasonable that he could not pass this test.

• February 21, 2013 at 8:14 pmCamora

I choked on my food while reading that. Bravo, sir

• February 21, 2013 at 3:19 amP Ko

I found myself in a very awkward position when reading this chapter. I should of felt sadness with the loss of Unohana but instead all my mind did was… “OMG OMG OMG KENPACHI BANKAI OMG OMG OMG!” Haha.

• February 21, 2013 at 6:35 amlemona

How did ichigo have a zanpakuto as he was ever given one in the first place, is this a plot hole??

• March 28, 2013 at 9:55 pmLim Lynn

It’s the spiritual power from Kuchiki Rukia’s Zanpakuto piece through his soul thus he became Shinigami representative in Karakura Town.

• February 21, 2013 at 3:24 amDigid

Sword – “My name is….
    Kenpachi – “Your name is – ?”
    Sword – “…End. Peon T. End”
    Kenpachi – “…” (goes and trades sword in for a battle axe) XD

• February 21, 2013 at 3:41 amigro

Sword – “My name is….”
      Kenpachi – “Your name is – ?”
      Sword – “Excalibur… Fool!”
      Kenpachi – “We’ll see who’s the fool.”

• February 21, 2013 at 3:30 amAnanas

Because Kenpachi waited all these years to learn his sword name doesn’t mean that we will.

BLEACH.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:12 amJeratucc

now THAT would be rather anticlimactic.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:40 amDa5id

Or his sword’s name actually IS Bleach.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:55 amjunglepenguin

Kubo, you son of a bleach.

• February 21, 2013 at 4:31 amsatyr

Well,considering how soul society has been seriously hit,Let’s kill The captain specialized in mass healing and apparently murder techniques,reduce even more our effective strength/defenses so a single captain can awake his sword…

Oh Zaraki,you better be way beyond everything she was…

• February 21, 2013 at 4:29 pmKarmafan

I could not have said it better. Only saving grace is if Kubo gas a apectacular plan of some kind to make up for the foolish loss.

• February 21, 2013 at 5:20 amsoursix9

Though it is disappointing that Unohana (may) be dead, she did her part and that’s what she was there for: to pass the reins to her successor. Although I do feel that it’s just more wasted character potential like Sasakibe, in the end, it’s not that big of a deal since no one should have even gotten that attached to her anyway. No one knew anything about her until now. What’s really a shame is that the Soul Society’s best healer is gone. Her combat abilities don’t really matter in the end since she was never meant to fight on the front lines anyways. But if Kenpachi is supposedly so much stronger, then maybe they won’t need such a healer anymore?

Also, Kenpachi’s Zanpakuto name probably won’t be revealed until the next time he fights, so I’m not holding breath.

• February 21, 2013 at 5:25 amsoursix9

holding *my* breath. I’m stupid… -_-

• February 21, 2013 at 6:45 amDivineJimmy

Shikai’s images according to the sword dude have a manifestation of your soul imprinted on to the sword so I’m pretty sure zaraki’s shikai is going to be some kind of monster.

• February 21, 2013 at 6:55 am7godeohs

There are certain things I have given up on in Bleach. 1) Rukia will never get a bankai or perhaps never appear again 2) Orihime and Chad will never….wait, who are they again? 3) I will never be able to predict anything that happens anymore, mainly because not much of it makes sense.

Also, Bleach lore says that it takes about 10+ years to learn a bankai, but I can almost guarantee that Kenpachi will talk to his sword for about 5 minutes and that’ll be all it takes.

• March 28, 2013 at 9:58 pmLim Lynn

To achieve Bankai take thousands of years to discipline Shinigami with their Zanpakuto by doing Jinzen.

• February 21, 2013 at 7:14 amSoulji

Do u guys honestly believe Unohana is dead. Knowing Kubo, i bet Kenpachi’s ability is healing. “Now i can fight forever.”

Plot Jutsu for the win

• February 21, 2013 at 9:01 amYuki

I thought so too because it is very unlikely that Isane will suddenly get a huge powerup and jump rank into captain replacing Unohana. I mean who wants to jump into war without proper healing team as a support??
      My best guess is that his zanpaktou’s ability is either healing or got something to do with resurrecting the dead… @@

• February 21, 2013 at 10:43 amGermanguy

Perhaps that all “Kenpachi”‘s Curse. Healing your Enemy, to enjoy the Fight nonstop…

• February 21, 2013 at 8:08 amMarkBadong

My bet is that with Nimaiya’s words, Ichigo is meant to return to his roots and never become a shinigami again – perhaps referring to his quincy mother – which might mean that Ichigo is meant to become a quincy?

Oh my.

• February 21, 2013 at 10:46 amGermanguy

Well, he was an Arancar, Shinigami and Human… So, only Quincy left. Wait!! He was for a “second” someone other. How was this called the Arc, before this all Began? Where he pulled out this “Bandage Weapon”, and heard Rukia’s voice…

• February 21, 2013 at 8:39 amgawrshness

Ichigo you’re fired! Kenpachi is the main character now!

• February 21, 2013 at 9:23 amrasone0104

I’d be pretty pissed if Kubo does kill Unohana off… seriously the moment ha gained a pair first thing he does is kill of a character I actually like.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:37 amspikerman87

So I guess Ichigo’s past accomplishments of defeating the Espada, Aizen, and saving Soul Society a couple dozen times mean nothing. He failed one test, so what? I failed a lot of tests at school and college and they didn’t kick me out for one fail. Who gave this guy the authority to kick him out of Soul Society? You’ve had literally TWO chapters of screen time. Also…really? You’re going to kick out the most powerful guy you have? Are you insane? As Ichigo said: “SCREW YOU!”

• February 21, 2013 at 9:51 amCastamare

I think Kenpachi zanpakutou name will be “Gashadokuro”. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashadokuro)

From Wikipedia: “The only way a Gashadokuro can be detected before it appears is by hearing a ringing in one’s ears.”

• February 21, 2013 at 12:38 pmYanDaMan

All that hype to meet zero squad, then seeing their trainings, only to have Ichigo kicked out before he event trained with all 5 of them.

Talk about disappointing developments. Lets hope whatever Kubo has in store for Ichigo better be damn good to make up for it.

And killing Unohana is still retarded, she better survive.

• February 21, 2013 at 1:17 pmSuperpat

Boo, now the healer is dead. Yay Kenchan gets access to his full power! Boo Ichigo gets the boot… A possible YAY that the remaining “hostages” in Zero Squad’s world will get a dramatic power boost?! I think this chapter pretty much hinted on A LOT of things, the bleach community speculated on. With 1 captain (sacrificially) down, Unohana’s spot is now open. I’m curious to who will fill it… Also with Ichigo’s return to the human world, I hope everyone there will get more panel time (Ishida, Orihime, Sado-who?). The glory of Bleach began in the human world and that Aizen fiasco ended there as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Kubo gives more light to the human world and for all those characters that reside there.

• February 21, 2013 at 1:30 pmL002

” who the hell is Ichigo exactly, and who were his parents”

To be honest, I always felt Ichigo was an illegitimate child, aside from the Zampukto he literally resembles Isshin by zero. I have a feeling that maybe Ichigo’s real parents would be something worth seeing.

On the side note, I feel that Kubo is literally destroying Ichigo’s realm of common sense, I mean I am sure Orihime would easily heal Zangetsu in a flash.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:31 pmDualash

Just to note: Orihime always appeared restoring people like Grimmjow’s arm back to the original state but I don’t think she can restore objects like the zanpakutou.

• February 21, 2013 at 1:53 pmAizen

That is not the voice Kenpachi Zaraki’s Zanpakutou… It is mine. It was just as planned, Soul Society has lost another powerful captain, this time by the hands of their own…

• February 21, 2013 at 3:58 pmZen

I think on of the most plausible conclusions that could be derived from this chapter is that Zangetsu was probably never an Asauchi to begin with. Remember that arrancars have zanpaktous too, and that the origin of their swords is not same as that of shinigami- their swords are literally the sealed state of their own power. Perhaps Zangetsu’s nature is more akin to that of an arrancar’s blade in that its origins were a natural extension of Ichigo’s power, rather than being an artificially forged weapon, as all normal Shinigami Asauchis are…

• February 21, 2013 at 5:40 pmCantWait7Days

I want see Ichigo build ground up with Kenpachi as his training partner. Then they can train for the rest of 2013.

• February 21, 2013 at 8:37 pmjunglepenguin

For a whole year? Boring. Unless, of course, Kenpachi slaps hollow Ichigo back into existence.

• February 21, 2013 at 8:13 pmCamora

If Kenpachi learns bankai all they need to do is air drop him on the Vanderiech and then gtfo with all do speed

• February 21, 2013 at 9:00 pmmgross

When Juhabach went out of his way to keep Ichigo from helping Soul Society, I assumed that he was just trying to get the boy out of the way so that he could turn his attention on attempting to recruit Ishida. Now it turns out the Ichigo is somehow able to use abilities exclusive to Quincies and his mother might not be all that we originally assumed she was.

Now there are three questions that remain unanswered on Bleach: What kind of person is Ichigo? How is Misaki Kurosaki connected to the Quincies? And will Ichigo ever get Zangetsu fixed or will he have to find a new means for fighting?

• February 22, 2013 at 2:23 pmNine

Well at least Ichigo took a shower and ate some of the best food he can get before going back to his home.

• February 26, 2013 at 8:01 pmZako Ratencho

Is it possible that ichigo doesnt have a Zanpukto anymore since he lost it from the fight with Azen, but when regaining he powers back He himself became Zengetsu and his sword is only as strong as his mind state, when his sword broke he was completely confused and his inner world wasnt stable therefore his sword broke. Lets go back to when he was having his inner coflict when he lost his Fullbring powers. ichigo bound by chains, could it symbolize him not having spiritual power? a chain broke, could this mean his will brought back or awoken a small amount of power? Got stabbed, chains broke, with the intoduction of spiritual power from Rukia ichigo was released from his inner chains allowing him to become a soul reaper. therefore he doesnt have a Zanpukto because he IS his Zanpukto, and why he failed is because he doesnt have a second “inner self” his is the inner self.

• March 28, 2013 at 10:04 pmLim Lynn

Maybe that explain why Kurosaki Ichigo’s borrowed a copy incomplete Zanpakuto from Kuchiki Rukia can’t be fix until and unless he own a Asauchi from the beginning. Thus, we might see he might hopefully begin the journey of being a Quincy. Fate and destiny is harsh to Kurosaki Ichigo who can’t dream on being a Shinigami.