Bleach 530 – Watering the Plants »« Bleach 528 – Nothing But The Rain

Bleach 529 – Just As Planned

Bleach Manga   529   01

Lots of interesting tidbits here: Isshin was the 10th squad captain back in his Gotei 13 days, with Matsumoto and Hitsugaya as his vice-captain and third seat, respectively. It seems like their characters were basically the same back then; Isshin was overly energetic and goofy, Matsumoto still had her enormous breasts, and Hitsugaya was the serious and hard-working genius. I would place this timeframe around a century prior to Ichigo’s time, as Aizen and his cohorts are still in the initial phases of their hollowification experiments (and of course, everything is still proceeding accordingly for him). It seems inevitable that Isshin will be caught up into these events, though I do find it strange that virtually no mention of him was brought up in the Turn Back The Pendulum arc. It may be that he does not leave Soul Society with Urahara and the other vizards at this time, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

In addition, Isshin’s original name is revealed to be Shiba Isshin, and as it turns out he was actually the head of the Shiba clan, meaning he was related to Kaien, Kuukaku and Ganju. It’s not clear if Kaien is still alive at this point, but if he is, his death may be revealed to have greater significance than we previously knew. Honestly, a lot more questions were raised than answered in this chapter, though that’s understandable since Isshin’s flashback is still in the “set-up” phase. No more mention of Masaki is made either, so the events this week felt rather disconnected from last week, and I’m really hoping that everything will be tied together soon.

March 7, 2013 at 3:46 am
  • March 7, 2013 at 4:11 amrasone0104

Well… that was…. predictable…..

• March 7, 2013 at 12:01 pmSortedevaras

This flashback is going just as planned.

• March 7, 2013 at 12:45 pmLoo2

Which part is predictable, Aizen or the fact that Ichigo is from the Shiba clan which is the reason why he strongly resembles Kaien.

Young Isshin, (shivers), I was wondering what Ichigo would look like when he is an adult……don’t tell me he will look and act like his old man.

As for Aizen…….we will see something that may interest us. He was always the evil version of Itachi Uchiha.

• March 7, 2013 at 8:37 pmB_Mack

It just Hit me Kubo is the ultimate troller. one reason is all i need.
        If Ishhin is a captain at the same or around the same time As Aizen and Gin then that means
        that every body knows he was a former captain. meaning everybody is playing one big trick on Ichigo. this is slightly proven when ichigo gets his powers back during the full bringing arc.
        Why nobody says anything. im sure we will find out.

• March 8, 2013 at 9:08 amEamonX

I think it’s because Isshin’s actual surname is Shiba. But Ichigo’s surname is Kurosaki which was his mother’s surname.

Most likely Isshin fell in love with Ichigo’s mum who’s a Quincy and so had to leave Soul Society and nobody knew where he went except of course Urahara and Ishida’s dad.

Kubo is still a troll.

• March 9, 2013 at 12:07 pmneks

Kubo is not a troll.. thats just bad story telling, (at least in that matter)
      common, Ichigo is identical to Kaien , only a different hair color, and we didnt had at least ONE THOUGHT from Ganju and Kukaku about his resemblance with his deceased brother.., common Kubo give me a break..

i still will be reading Bleach… im very curious on how this is gonna end..

• March 9, 2013 at 12:08 pmneks

jm.. on a second thought… yes.. he is a troll

• March 7, 2013 at 4:11 amDdadain

Keikakudori~!

What’s distressing is… both Naruto and Bleach are nearing their FINAL climaxes… ._. How will Shounen Jump cope without their triumvirate (OP won’t end any time soon though *LOL*)

• March 7, 2013 at 10:41 amDa5id

They’ve still got Toriko, which has been running circles around Bleach for years now.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:13 amrandom_ram

“and I’m really hoping that everything will be tied together soon.” – Pray that Kubo doesn’t see this line.

It’s nice how Kubo retcons how Zampakutos are made. Looking back it is a bit odd that ichigo farted his sword out. Honestly though if Bleach was completed and a new reader would read it from start to finish he’d feel it was clever.

For us and all the waiting we do, the chapters feel disjointed and deus ex machina-y.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:45 amSkins Thunderbomb

Have to admit, I snorted at the ‘farted his sword out’ part of your comment XD;

• March 7, 2013 at 4:47 amPsithief

Nice, have I created a running joke?

Ichigo was never given an Asauchi, he farted his Zanpaktou out of non-existence.

As opposed to a joke with the runs.

Speaking of, it certainly feels like the plot had a crapload of backstory to deliver.

I don’t know how ancient Japanese clans worked, but it seems like Isshin Shiba is the patriarch of a young/small house in the much larger Shiba clan. He probably doesn’t have much say in anything but can bring a disproportionate amount of shame to his clan despite that.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:29 amschwegburt

That’s what I saw too. That Isshin’s the head of a branch family of the Shiba clan. Which begs the question as to how he’s related to Kaien and the main family.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:56 amrandom_ram

Yes you did sir. Yes you did. =)

• March 7, 2013 at 4:38 pmSortedevaras

We have had bigger deus ex machina ass-pulls already and I expect we will have more before the end.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:24 amgawrshness

Ah “according to plan Aizen”…I miss you…you did not look like a butterfree nor a you were strapped in a bondage chair…you were awesome…still being missed…

• March 7, 2013 at 11:20 amanon

You think getting imprisoned isn’t part of his plan?Naive, you guys still have a lot to learn about Aizen.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:25 amjunglepenguin

Crap. See Gin in a flashback only makes me miss him more.

• March 7, 2013 at 8:08 amJello

Seriously. I still feel like we’re fresh coming off the “SUP,WE’RETHEZEROSQUAD” letdown which is only making me miss the better characters even more.

Where have they gone ;-;…

Is Rangiku still tending Gin’s wounds after Gin revealed his sword to backstab Aizen…? Ha…ha…ha ._.

PLS 2 SHOW DA GUD CHARCTRS KUBO SER

• March 7, 2013 at 8:11 amJello

And oh, not to mention that Isshin is not really living up to the HEY-I’m-Ichigo’s-Dad AKA AWESOME-FATHER-AND-EVEN-MORE-AMAZING-PLOT-TWIST-GUY … hype that Kubo gave off when he started initially revealing details on Isshin.

Sigh…

• March 7, 2013 at 4:30 amNadester

Aizen: It was planned all along to have you readers look at my flashbacks going as planned. Just as planned.

Lol. I miss this guy.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:52 amPsithief

He was the ultimate nerd villain.

Then he removed his glasses and it all went to *@!#.

• March 7, 2013 at 8:46 amAnnon

That’s what I call good character design. Subtle changes and BAM, new personality is born.

• March 7, 2013 at 11:22 amanon

The one villain I would want to see succeed.

• March 7, 2013 at 11:25 amR

He makes other villains look like a bunch of anti-heroes.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:39 amNaavi

Now this is a flashback I’m looking forward to read, even more than the main story line.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:51 amPsithief

Welcome back Prooof!

Let’s play a game! It’s called “Spot the ret-cons!”

And Prooof takes an early lead!

• March 7, 2013 at 2:58 pmGradius

There was deliberately no reference, it wasn’t a retcon. Kubo outlined every single captain even the ones not brought up in the actual chapters and drew their designs. Except for the tenth. If you saw that and didn’t realise said character was going to be important then you’re clearly not with it.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:06 amClewi

How are Matsumoto’s breasts a character trait ?

• March 7, 2013 at 8:17 amJello

A trait is a distinguishing characteristic or quality. Doesn’t mean it has to describe someone’s personality as conventional education would have you think.

AND EVEN SO! How is that not a trait 8D…It’s like denying fields of lush green grass waiting to be frolicked.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:27 amAnonymous

And I was just about to come in swearing at why the f*** Aizen refuses to die yet again after so many years.

No, please, Aizen, GTFO of our sights already, dead or alive in either past, present or future.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:43 amGer

This did NOT happen during the Pendulum period. It happened a couple of years after Rukia, Renji, Hinamori and Kira joined the Shinigami Academy, and it’s pretty clear when you compare it to the chapter with those four’s flashback, for many reasons:
    1) Hitsugaya joined the Academy at least a year after Hinamori, because when he was still at Rukongai during her first year.
    2) Hitsugaya graduated after only a year, which also explains why Rangiku looks exactly the same as in Hitsugaya’s flashback chapter. It also means that it’s likely that Rukia & co. are still at the Academy, which explains why Rukia didn’t know Isshin was a former captain.
    3) Gin is already captain of the 3rd Division, which is further proof of why this happened after Rukia & co. joined the Academy: back then, he was lieutenant of Division 5, under Aizen.
    It’s extremely likely, then, that this happened a little while before Rukia joined Division 13, under Ukitake and Kaien and Renji, Hinamori, and Kira joined Division 5, under Aizen (although some of those three may have already finished school because they were in the elite class).

• March 7, 2013 at 5:58 amDeazy

I also get the feeling this happened AFTER Shinji and crew were hollowified. The way Aizen talked to them, it seems like he doesn’t know where they were, which only would have been true if they had already all escaped to the real world.

• March 7, 2013 at 6:14 amGer

It DEFINITELY happened after that, the Hollowfication incident was about 100 years ago, when Aizen and Gin where Shinji’s lieutenant and 3rd seat. An estimated date for this flashback might be between 15 to 30 years before Ichigo became a Shinigami.

• March 7, 2013 at 4:42 pmProoof

Yea I think I may have gotten the time frames mixed up.

• March 7, 2013 at 6:01 amMisa

“No more mention of Misaki is made either…” Ichigo’s mother is named Masaki, not Misaki :3

• March 7, 2013 at 6:12 amKama

Oh goodie, It’s Aizen. And here I was hoping we’d never see his obnoxious face again. Nice work Kubo, “Just as planned” indeed.

• March 7, 2013 at 7:00 amspikerman87

I remember when Ganju tried to stall Byakuya way back when they were trying to rescue Rukia. When Ganju mentioned he was from the “Shiba” clan Byakuya seemed to dislike them. I doubt that will come up again, but that’s all I really know about the Shiba clan.

I think this is the first chapter in a very long time that was paced correctly. It didn’t feel rushed, and it didn’t feel like it was dragging. I’m more invested in what happened to Isshin than the current events. I think I miss spending time with the 13 Divisions and seeing them interact with one another when times aren’t so dark. So far with the Quincy battles the characters have been glanced over or just not there.

And whenever I see Aizen’s face I see the Troll face.

• March 7, 2013 at 7:34 amDamrod

Watching matsumoto behave like that was kinda weird, chasing her captain around so that he would do his work. Reminds me of Nanao, although matsumoto is still too playful in comparison ^_^”

• March 7, 2013 at 7:45 amASdae

No, Proof, YOU’RE WRONG… It can’t be set a century ago…

A century ago there was no Captain in Squad 10… And Isshin is about to know Masaki… If what you said was true, Masaki would have been more than a hundred years old, which is impossible…

Remember that, when the Vizards were converted it was a century ago, and Gin was still a Child and not even a Lieutenant yet… not even Aizen was a Captain yet… In this last chapter Gin, Aizen, and apparently Tosen were Captains…

• March 7, 2013 at 8:25 amPuppetMaster55

Isshin had his powers sealed away for about 20 years, as stated back when he purified Grand Fisher, so this flashback is at least two decades in the past.

And in terms of retcons, I gotta admit the roundabout mention of Hollowfication experiments in Humans means that Fullbringers were likely created by Aizen. If Aizen is behind the Fullbringers, then he might’ve also been behind Ginjo apparently killing Soul Reapers and stealing their power (which makes sense, if Soul Society was getting too close to routing out Aizen’s experiments, and he needed a scapegoat).

• March 7, 2013 at 8:29 amAlcren

Not even 30 years, it’s closer to 17 or 18 years in the past. Because ichigo is the first born and he’s 16-17 during the course of the manga. And rukia did say she had been a shinigami for around 50 years when she met ichigo so that’s a mistake on kubos part. In all honesty I just read bleach on autopilot now. It’s gotten a bit boring and doesn’t interest me as much anymore which sucks considering how cool this manga was before.

• March 7, 2013 at 8:48 amMormegil

Finally. Isshin Shiba confirmed.

• March 7, 2013 at 10:34 amK C M

I guess this means that our Hero’s name should have been Shiba Ichigo instead of Kurosaki Ichigo. By the way does this mean that Ichigo is from the Shiba clan.

• March 8, 2013 at 2:08 amSortedevaras

Well if his dad is the head of the family I would say yeah.

• March 7, 2013 at 9:56 amAnanas

We’re stuck in a loop.

• March 7, 2013 at 11:10 amK C M

There are some things I would like to point out now that It has been revealed that Isshin Kurosaki was initially Isshin Shiba.
    If Ichigo Kurosaki might have been Ichigo Shiba does that mean that He is actually related to Ganju, Kuukaku , and Kaien, well that wouldn’t surprise me considering the fact that Kaien lokks like Ichigo.

• March 7, 2013 at 2:55 pmGradius

Kukkaku stated that ‘uncle’ would be disappointed they sent Ichigo to the royal dimension so it’s a fair bet her and Ganju are Ichigo’s cousins.

• March 7, 2013 at 11:41 amCelecia01

(Gasp) I knew it! Aizen was behind everything all along!

I’m sure if you look hard enough, Aizen is the cause of everything that happens in the story.

• March 7, 2013 at 3:22 pmSol Fury

He always claimed he was. So in a way it makes sense for the retcons to make it so.

• March 7, 2013 at 2:36 pmKandur

“I would place this timeframe around a century prior to Ichigo’s time”

Couldn’t have been that long ago, really.

Rukia said that she entered the Kuchiki house 40 years ago.
    Gin became a captain after that (stated in Rukia’s flashback about meeting Gin).
    Toshiru was just a kid in Rukongai when Rukia was still in the Academy (stated in Renji’s flashback after Ichigo beats him).

This seems really recent.
    Like… just a few years ago, maybe 10 or 20.

• March 7, 2013 at 2:54 pmGradius

I think ten years might be cutting it a bit short when Ichigo alone is seventeen.

• March 7, 2013 at 3:25 pmRex

PROOOF, i think you need to read up on Bleach a little again. This is AFTER Turn Back The Pendulum.
    Aizen wasnt a captian back then, he is now in this flashback. Matsumoto and Hitsugaya wasnt 2nd and 3rd seat back then, and “Shinji’s gang” is mentioned, implying they have escaped SS and are in hiding.
    It should have been obvious, but i can understand if it had been confusing at first.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:12 pmTerror of Death

guys what about the spirit king? you know the all mighty spirit that looks like a cousin to that naruto character. I’m tired of all this jumping around lol

• March 7, 2013 at 5:22 pmHutch Hutchenson

Just according to the keikaku?

• March 7, 2013 at 5:35 pmNovice

Just As planned…
    it was what Light Yagami always said…

• March 7, 2013 at 6:13 pmSleepyHof

How come Matsumoto and Hitsugaya did not recognize Isshin when they were in the human world with Ichigo? Seems odd.

• March 8, 2013 at 5:24 amQiesamuel

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they’ve never met Isshin in the human’s world, though they visited Ichigo’s house.

• March 7, 2013 at 7:11 pmrandom viewer

There’s a trap in wait probably.

• March 7, 2013 at 7:51 pmkisagi

Yea its funny that isshin didnt help ichigo, especially since he knew aizen was the real enemy and how powerful he was. Probably he still didn’t wanna risk revealing to ichigo his heritage because it has something to do with this new enemy “the quincies”. Also uryu’s father (idk his name) knew about him, so maybe he was involved.

Also remember ichigo and uryu are about the same age, so did the “massacre” of quincies happen after uryu was born. Maybe we’ll see his mom.

• March 8, 2013 at 11:42 amrandom viewer

I don’t remember if there was any hint to the Quincy extermination in that Bound arc, but that was filler so right now I think those questions will probably be answered in the future chapters.
        I would like to see a younger version of Ryuken Ishida if there’s a flashback.

• March 7, 2013 at 7:57 pmB_Mack

If Ichigo looks like Kaien and Kaien is part of the Shiba clan and Ishhin is head of the shiba clan than this can only mean one thing……Ichigo had an older brother.

Ichigo> Kaien >Shiba Clan> Ishhin(shiba clan head) + Masaki = Ichigo
    then Ishhin + shiba clan woman = Kaien

• March 10, 2013 at 1:22 amjello

He is kiens uncle. kukaku already gave this away

• March 7, 2013 at 8:53 pmDaniel

I may be flamed to death by asking this. But isn’t bleach supposed to end soon or have i totally heard wrong?

• March 7, 2013 at 8:58 pmSortedevaras

“Soon” is subjective in this case. This is the last arc but Kubo also said it is the longest arc by far, so it could be another year or two for all we know.

• March 8, 2013 at 3:51 amAnonymous

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!! so… if isshin is a captain, why did rangiku or the others instantly recognize him if they always go to Ichigo’s house?

• March 8, 2013 at 11:42 amkwerboom

Anime or manga?

I think there was only one group meeting at Ichigo’s in the manga. I think they came in through the window instead of through the front door, which meant they wouldn’t have seen any family pictures.

If its the anime, that would mostly be filler.

• March 8, 2013 at 11:35 amK C M

What do Ichigo Kurosaki and Naruto Uzumaki have in common besides being main characters, the answer is that they both have maternal last names instead of paternal last names for instance their names should have been Ichigo Ishin(II) and Naruto Namikaze(NN) instead of Naruto Uzumaki and Ichigo Kurosaki irrespectively.

• March 8, 2013 at 11:46 amrandom viewer

• March 8, 2013 at 4:50 pmK C M

That was good, I should have pointed that out.

• March 10, 2013 at 1:24 amjello

Ichigo shiba

• March 8, 2013 at 7:34 pmbubblegunpop

Kaien and Ichigo were probably brothers or something since they resemble each other a lot. Maybe Isshin was in a relationship before he met Masaki and had him, then Ichigo came after.

• March 10, 2013 at 1:25 amjello

They are cousens. kukaku already gave this away

• March 28, 2013 at 9:28 pmLim Lynn

Bleach Episode 21 already hinted why Yuruichi brought him back to the ancestor home before launching them into Seireitei where Gontei 13 resides.

• March 28, 2013 at 9:23 pmLim Lynn

Explain why Isshin have cause Shiba family fallen after he fell in love with the main enemy Quincy and Kaien Shiba isn’t ready for the role as the head of the Shiba family. Possibility Isshin’s nearly killed in action wasn’t reported back and temporary appointment Hitsugaya Tai Chou role in 10 Division.

• March 28, 2013 at 9:31 pmLim Lynn

Juha Bach and Aizen have been telling the truth all along although their were the villains when Kurosaki Ichigo joined Gontei 13 as Shinigami representative. No beating around the bush and disguise the truth like what Shiba Isshin have done.