Introduction – “I Prefer the Term ‘Enthusiast’”

Kairi   FrontI never so much as imagined that a casual remark could lead to the fulfillment of a dream, but here I am, still pinching myself every few minutes to make sure I’m not making it up.

My experience with anime has been a deeply personal one. I was a sheltered child whose television programming was carefully controlled in order to weed out “bad influences”, so my first true encounter with anime came one day in the eighth grade, when one of my teachers decided that it would be fun to watch the original Fullmetal Alchemist in class. Never before had I been exposed to something that mature and thought-provoking outside of books, and Hylia-be-damned, I wanted more. It wasn’t long after that I discovered the internet and its proliferation of anime.

In 2006, a year that marked a very difficult time in my life, I stumbled upon Eureka Seven. I found myself in the characters and themes in a way I never had with any other work, and suddenly the crushing depression that had driven me to some very dark places began to dissipate. The experience was so powerful that some six years later, I’m still watching E7 at every opportunity, despite having seen it over thirty times.

Last year, I accidentally found Random Curiosity. Having been so influenced by the art form of anime itself, I was struck with awe at the quality and level of discussion each writer brought to their work, and I found myself drawn to the idea of writing. That’s how my own personal blog, The Limit of Questions, was born, though it, and I by extension, are far from the ideal quality that RandomC stands for in my mind.

Kairi 2That’s why I was utterly shocked to find that my remark to Seishun last week about my dream to write here led to Stilts-senpai asking if I’d be interested in actually taking up a position. While I still have doubts as to my ability, I somehow worked up the courage to go for it, and thanks to this amazing opportunity, I’ll now be picking up coverage of Hataraku Maou-sama! and Karneval this Spring.

As to my tastes, I don’t really have any; in general terms, I will watch any genre, and I base my judgments not on content, but on thematic analysis, execution, and simply how much fun I have watching something. Here’s my MAL for reference, though I tend to score based on whims and am always horrified to find Series X scored higher than Series Y a few months later.

Apart from blogging, I’ve been translating manga on and off for years. I’m currently working on various Japanese-only releases of Eureka Seven material, though I’ve considered translating the Shin Sekai Yori novels if the official publication doesn’t happen.

In any case, I’m incredibly thankful to Divine and each and every writer here for making RandomC such a wonderful place, and I’m especially grateful to Stilts for taking the time to talk to me, encourage me, and put up with my overly flowery writing and ignorance over the last few days (I’ll give it my best, Senpai!). I know that a lot of sad changes have happened lately, but I still hope to contribute a little bit to what makes this site so great. With that being said, I’m ecstatic to be here; Random Curiosity truly is the stuff of a blogger’s dreams, and though I’m coming on board a bit late in the season, I look forward to interacting with you all from now on!

私はカイリです。よろしくお願いします!

Watashi wa Kairi desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

April 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm
  • April 9, 2013 at 10:34 amShadow74

I already want to read your next publication of Maou-sama, welcome and I hope we all get along

• April 9, 2013 at 6:57 pmKairi

Thanks, I hope you’ll enjoy it this week!

• April 9, 2013 at 11:36 amjoshspeagle

Congratulations! I’ll definitely be looking forward to your coverage on Karneval and Maou-sama, so best of luck with your RC blogging experience! :)

• April 9, 2013 at 7:05 pmKairi

Thank you very much! I hope you’ll enjoy reading coverage on both series!

• April 9, 2013 at 11:45 amcreaothceann

I just didn’t have a lot of fun with it, the comedy didn’t quite work for me.

Well, at least you should see the highlights!
    - Konata’s mother
    - Shiraishi (and the aftermath)
    - best part of the OVA

• April 9, 2013 at 7:11 pmKairi

Hmm, well I might go back one day, in that case.

• April 9, 2013 at 12:21 pmno381

Good to see new writers with new views on this site! I’m sure everyone is happy to have you!

I’m also excited to see someone’s covering Maou-sama. ;)

• April 9, 2013 at 7:14 pmKairi

Thank you, I’m really happy to be here! I hope you’ll have fun following the Hataraku posts every week!

• April 9, 2013 at 12:33 pmReaper201

Another new writer for the crew, it’s always nice to see new writers. Well welcome to RC, I look forward to see you blog Maou!

• April 9, 2013 at 7:18 pmKairi

Thanks! I hope you’ll enjoy reading about it!

• April 9, 2013 at 1:32 pmverdant

Don’t come around here often anymore, but wanted to say hello and wish you the best of luck. Also, if there’s anything you need help with, let me know – I offered to help Seishun too but he denied me =P

• April 9, 2013 at 7:25 pmKairi

Hi verdant! Thanks a ton, but I think I’ll be okay for now! ^^

• April 9, 2013 at 3:07 pmPot Noodle

Greetings Kairi, and my what a flood of responses you’ve had already!

Always happy to see a new writer aboard. I don’t usually comment here much unless I find something that absolutely demands my attention, but I usually find myself dropping by most days to check out anything new. I just tend to find a nice quiet corner to sit and watch the world go by.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far by the two shows you’re picking up, so I’m looking forward to reading what your thoughts on them. If this first introductory post is anything to go by I think we’re in for a treat!

• April 9, 2013 at 7:45 pmKairi

Hello! It’s not much, it’s mostly me replying I’m afraid.

In that case, thank you so much for taking the time to drop by and say hello, I really appreciate it!

I hope you’ll enjoy the coverage on both!

• April 9, 2013 at 3:26 pmNemo

Welcome to RC! I am looking forward to reading your posts :) Your posts already seem like they will be great. Glad to see that someone is picking up Maou-sama too. Also, you had an awesome music teacher ;o

• April 9, 2013 at 7:46 pmKairi

Hello! I hope you’ll enjoy them! I did have an awesome music teacher! I just wish I remembered his name, haha.

• April 9, 2013 at 3:58 pmSeinime

Welcome, Kairi! I’m already starting to like you simply by your title name. Ganbare!

Hopefully you had a nice helping of KASUU-DOOM to help kick off Hataraku Maou-sama. :)

• April 9, 2013 at 7:49 pmKairi

Thank you! It’s a name with lots of history, though I don’t remember it all!

I did like my Katsu dooooom xD

• April 9, 2013 at 4:43 pmAsobi

And with these last two weeks suddenly I won’t be that last writer on the about page!

Welcome aboard Kairi (And Seishun as well if you see this, sorry I missed your intro post)! Hope you two enjoy your time here! I’ll get around back onto the irc someday soon and do some proper greetings then. ;)

• April 9, 2013 at 7:56 pmKairi

Haha, hello Asobi-senpai! I’m happy to be working alongside you from now on!

Thank you! I’m now attempting to figure out irc so I’ll be around! ^^

• April 9, 2013 at 5:13 pmDiyedas

Well hello there, Kairi.

I’ll just say this, from you MAL list alone I think I’m gonna like you as a blogger. I agree with a lot of the scores you made. I also see a commonality in our experiences with discovering anime. Well, kinda. Both FMA and Eureka Seven changed my life, although differently from yours. They’re still two of my favorite anime series. I’ll always be grateful for FMA introducing me to anime and Eureka Seven for inspiring me as a writer.

• April 9, 2013 at 7:58 pmKairi

Hi Diyedas! I’m glad to hear you feel similarly about FMA and E7! They’re both wonderful shows and ones I love watching even now. I’m really happy to hear they had a strong impact on you as well!

• April 9, 2013 at 5:27 pmgrey

What an awesome teacher you had!

Welcome to RC :D

• April 9, 2013 at 8:10 pmKairi

Thanks, I think so too!

• April 9, 2013 at 5:53 pminfo600

Nice to meet you see a new face here.

Just wondering, what do you think of Fullmetal Alchemist? How about FMA:B?

• April 9, 2013 at 8:11 pmKairi

It’s nice to be here! I love both FMA’s, though FMA:B has the better action. :)

• April 9, 2013 at 6:29 pmRifuloftheWest

Hello Kairi. I look forward to following your coverage of the various shows.

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. The story about your teacher was very cool. I was reminded about during a project I had in highschool where I used a few excerpts from Akira and had subsequently generated interest in anime among some of my classmates. Anime just seems to have “that” mysterious quality =).

• April 9, 2013 at 8:13 pmKairi

Hi, I hope you’ll have fun reading them every week!

That’s wonderful! I love hearing about art affecting people’s lives. It’s what makes it such a powerful medium no matter what kind it is!

• April 9, 2013 at 10:43 pmKasai

Hey! I don’t comment often but I just wanted to say welcome to RC! And good luck! I look forward to reading your blogs. :)

• April 9, 2013 at 11:17 pmKairi

Thank you so much! I hope you’ll enjoy reading them!

• April 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm†Croos†

01000100011011110110111000100111011101000010000001101000011000010110111001100111001000000
    00000111010001101111001000000111001001100001011011100110010001101111011011010110001100100
    00100000011011010111010101100011011010000010000001101111011100100010000001100101011011000
    00000100100100100000011011010110100101100111011010000111010000100000011000110110111101110
    0111000001110100001000000111100101101111011101010010111000100000011011110111000001110011

• April 9, 2013 at 11:17 pmKairi

I’m on to you, and no, I’m not answering any more just so you can see how long I’ll keep it up. xD

• April 9, 2013 at 11:15 pmAna

Yay, I’m excited to hear what you have to say because I know you’re a Kaori Ozaki fan from your other blog, and thus have impeccable taste. Can’t wait to read your reviews!

• April 9, 2013 at 11:19 pmKairi

Hi Ana! I love Ozaki Kaori! Eureka Seven is my favorite anime, but Immortal Rain is my favorite manga. I’ve read it a zillion times too! I hope to see you around, and thanks so much for your support!

• April 11, 2013 at 5:58 amwaystland

Eureka Seven holds a special place in my heart. Looking forward to your posts!

• April 11, 2013 at 7:56 amKairi

Hello!

I’m really glad to hear you feel similarly about Eureka Seven, it’s always wonderful to find a comrade! Thank you, I sincerely hope you’ll enjoy reading them!

• April 11, 2013 at 8:09 amZen

Lol, still going for that perfect reply record, huh? In that case, I’ll help you out- you missed someone on the previous page, a user going by the name of “Meldoy” (Ctrl+F)…XP

• April 11, 2013 at 6:44 pmKairi

Maybe.. Thanks. D:

• April 11, 2013 at 11:18 pmE.

Do your best! Looking forward to your reviews, I won’t be watching those shows but I can do it if you convince me with your posts haha, I didn’t say this with bad intention though.
    Congratulations!

• April 11, 2013 at 11:29 pmKairi

Thank you so much! Love the Poketto ga Niji de Ippai avatar, by the way. :3 I’ll do my best, haha.

• April 13, 2013 at 7:12 pmDangerMouse

Congratulations!

Excited for both shows you’re covering so I’m looking forward to your reviews of the eps!

Huge fan of E7 and scifi in general. E7 was such a special show and I will always love how they fully took advantage of all of the benefits of their 50 ep run. Watching it yet again on Toonami.

• April 13, 2013 at 7:22 pmKairi

Thank you!

I’m glad to hear you’re excited, and I hope you’ll enjoy reading them. =)

It’s really a wonderful experience of a series, and though I no longer watch it dubbed, I can appreciate that it was done well and that having it on Toonami exposes more people to it. Really happy to hear from a fellow fan. =) I do E7 reviews on my blog, though I haven’t had the time to do so recently. I’m hoping to have a new one up this week, if all goes well.

• April 14, 2013 at 9:48 pmSyouke

Welcome Kairi!

Do your best and I will look forward to your writing :).

PS: I love the name Kairi!

Also, you must thanks the original creator of this website which was Omni!

• August 5, 2013 at 12:53 amulimited hosting

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help protect against content from being stolen? I’d certainly appreciate it.|

• « Older Comments