Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge – 03 »« Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge – 01

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge – 02

OP Sequence

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   OP   01 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   OP   02 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   OP   03
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   OP   04 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   OP   05 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   OP   06

OP: 「運命の檻」 (Unmei no Ori) by 愛美 (Aimi)

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   01 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   02 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   03
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   04 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   05 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   06
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   07 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   08 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   09
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   10 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   11 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   12
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   13 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   14 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   15
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   16 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   17 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   18
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   19 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   20 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   21
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   22 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   23 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   24
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   25 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   26 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   27
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   28 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   29 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   30
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   31 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   32 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   33
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   34 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   35 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   36

「―異端の肖像―」 (―Itan no Shouzo―)
“―Portrait of Heresy―”

After last week’s surprisingly eye-catching premiere, I’ve decided to pick up this series! It was always on my “To Watch” list, but we all know that I have a tendency to only watch a handful of ongoing anime. Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge (which I’ll just call Crime Edge for simplicity) will be one of the few that I’ll actually be looking forward to this season. I have high hopes for this one since it’s just the action that I need without being way too over the top striving for epicness.

Last week’s episode started off with a lot of stuff happening and not a lot of explanations. In fact, even I was slightly confused but decided to carry on with it anyway. If there’s any warning that I could give to viewers, it would be not to take the show seriously; it barely takes itself seriously. Come on – it’s about a girl with extremely long and uncuttable hair (reminds me of Rapunzel!) and the only thing that can cut it is an ancient weapon used in a Murder Game. Not only that, but it just so happens that Kiri and Iwai fall in love and I can bet that it’s meant to be a sign that love can overcome anything in the end. All in all, I am in no way bashing the show. It doesn’t take itself seriously because aside from all the blood action and killing, there’s still an aspect of comedy and the show doesn’t linger too long on technicalities. It doesn’t explain much because it is what it is. Crime Edge is overall an entertaining show. There’s a lot that goes on in an episode – lots of character insights, plot development and some explanations to fill in the gaps. That’s seriously all it needs to keep me watching for 20 mins a week and I wouldn’t expect anything more or less.

This week surprised me by the dive that they did into Yamane and Houko’s past – especially when they revealed their parents’ death. One would assume that both Yamane and Houko have Killing Goods, but apparently Yamane was the one cursed with ownership of the syringe. Not only does her appearance scream “crazy” but she is in fact so far gone that she has to use her twin sister to alleviate her desires to kill. Houko must really love her sister or simply wants to protect her from murdering others. It makes me wonder if in fact they did murder Iwai’s father as well; I wouldn’t be surprised. As quickly as their relationship and personalities are revealed though, the story’s already moved on and we’re onto the next Killing Good – a hammer from a criminal.

Essentially the story is set in motion now as described by Sumeragi Kanae (Yusa Kouji). He is the current guardian of Iwai and looks after her; although everyone calls him “Professor”. Not much is revealed about him aside from his affiliation with a group called “Gossip” whom oversee the Murder Game (and clean up the aftermath probably). His scary shadows and eyes probably mean that he’s hiding something but so far I have no reason to doubt him. We’ll have to see once future episodes start to play out.

Full-length images: 01, 02, 07, 20, 28, 29, 34.

ED Sequence

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   ED   01 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   ED   02 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   ED   03

ED: 「君と二人 」 (Kimi to Futari) by 高橋花林 x 遠藤ゆりか (Takahashi Karin x Endo Yurika)

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   Preview 01 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   Preview 02 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge   02   Preview 03
April 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm
  • April 10, 2013 at 9:55 pmblahblah0625

Now I definitely have to watch this show! Seems so interesting!!

• April 11, 2013 at 6:54 amCherrie

It’s definitely better than I expected =) I would consider it an accomplishment if I could get more people watching this show ^^

• April 10, 2013 at 9:57 pmKyosuke

Excited for the next episode! Keep it up Cherrie!

• April 11, 2013 at 12:18 amskurai

From what i remember next episode will be awesome … crime edge murder mode lol

• April 10, 2013 at 10:22 pmZen

Pincushion arm…eerily reminiscent of something, what was it again? Oh, that’s right… heroin addiction …XP

• April 11, 2013 at 6:56 amCherrie

I’m so glad I’m not the only one that thought of drug addition when I saw that arm >_> Have you seen Requiem for a Dream? That movie traumatized me from all drugs -___-’

• April 11, 2013 at 7:29 amZen

Haven’t actually seen it but a lot of people have told me about it though. So I looked up the synopsis on Wikipedia this once (years ago) and it kinda killed my interest in seeing it because of how depressing the plot seemed- but apparently it’s great so I might just watch it anyways one of these days…as for drug use, I just don’t see the point. You get high for a few hours and then what? Hours of your day lost in stupor, hours in which a coherent mind could be utilized for more productive things- the whole instant gratification aspect of drug use is what’s always put me off about them, seems pointless and screams youthful naivete; so I’ve never so much as tried any drugs, not even weed…

• April 11, 2013 at 10:11 aminfinite

That movie should be shown to any kid wanting to try drugs. Drugs are just bad M’kay.

• April 11, 2013 at 11:27 amCherrie

@ Zen: I haven’t tried weed before either! yay! *high-five. Not that I see the appeal to drugs at all, but I’m sure a lot of people use/take them because they really do feel like it’s worth that escape or illusion for those # of hours. Also because the withdrawl symptoms are so bad that they rather be with than without it.

@infinite: I was shown that movie during Gr. 9 sex ed. class… scarred me for life o_o

• April 12, 2013 at 12:48 pmSpacyRicochet

Weed itself isn’t that bad in my opinion. And if it’s handled properly, it’s hardly a gateway drug either (we’re messing that up in The Netherlands at the moment, though).

• April 10, 2013 at 10:25 pmJustin

next time : Hammer VS scissor !!

• April 10, 2013 at 10:30 pmKen Sanders

Bloody Edge X Bloody Needle!!!!

Kiri: Severe, Crime Edge !!!

Glasses Girl: Pierce him,Bloody Needle!!!

• April 10, 2013 at 10:39 pmkatsudon

This show is surprisingly good so far, can’t wait for episode 3!

• April 10, 2013 at 10:41 pmSDFSDG

I really hope that Sephia tone will get removed during the fight scenes in the Blue Ray Release.

• April 10, 2013 at 11:13 pmMurdermajig

This episode reminded me of the Fate/ series. You got a select group of people (Authors = Masters), who acquired a weapon (Killing Goods = Servants), an Organization that watches over the people(Gossip = The Holy Church), and person in which grants any wish if killed (Iwai = Holy Grail)

• April 10, 2013 at 11:28 pmewok40k

I’m rather likely to compare this with Mirai Nikki, with the whole kill or be killed theme…
    Oh, and I wonder if anyone will show up with a stone or paper?

• April 10, 2013 at 11:33 pmMCAL

I think its a cross between Fate, Mirai Nikki and Nazo no Kanojo X.

• April 11, 2013 at 12:05 amVad Deasduade

I must say, having reading some of the manga before watching the show I’m pleased to see that the adaption is doing a fairly good job with keeping the original feel. It’s actually a bit creepier to see some of these intense moments animated and strengthened with an OST. I’m quite interested to see how the show will progress.

• April 11, 2013 at 7:15 amCherrie

It’s definitely really creepy at parts… other parts make me cringe and then there’s those “d’awwwwww” moments. If an anime can evoke that many emotions in me in 20 mins, then I think it’s worth watching ^^ I never expected there to be so much blood and crazy though.

• April 11, 2013 at 5:55 amJason Isenberg

Needle, Hammer, Scissors! (makes no sense but hey I went with the flow lol) Great anime btw, going to watch it till the end :)

• April 11, 2013 at 6:23 amKiria

This is one of my favorite shows this season, so I’m grateful you picked it up to blog!
    I got the impression that Kiri and Iwai aren’t in love just yet, as he still seems only to like her for her hair (although you could tell there was something a bit more behind the “I like you because I can cut your hair and won’t turn into a serial killer” speech. Still, I think Kiri is still mostly in love with her hair, and this could make for a very sweet aspect of the show if he learned to fall in love with her as a person.
    But of course it won’t be that simple. I’m excited to see the new crazy Authors who surface and cause problems, although I’m sure I’ll end up getting attached to some of them (like in Mirai Nikki).
    Great show and thanks again, Cherrie!

• April 11, 2013 at 7:19 amCherrie

Glad you’re following! I wasn’t expecting to pick this up – but since I’m not doing Aku no Hana anymore, I thought I’d do Crime Edge ^^
      I agree, he’s definitely not in love with “her” yet necessarily. The hair aspect doesn’t weird me out though; I think I’m pretty amune to the awkwardness. I’d love to see them fall in love for real as the series plays out though.
      Surprisingly I was also really attached to characters in Mirai Nikki. I think some individuals were actually good people but thrown into bad situations T_T

• April 11, 2013 at 9:11 amewok40k

Tell me about it… some Mirai Nikki adversaries were really memorable (tragically involved cop? cosplaying terrorist?), and , arguably , likeable…

• April 11, 2013 at 6:27 ampashis15

*¬* thanks!! OMG! *¬*

• April 11, 2013 at 7:37 amTingster013

And to think I used to think that it is weird when people whip out their fake lightsaber and slashes it out with each other. Now a syringe vs a pair of scissors and the sparks that appear when they clashed… What can they throw at me next? Not bashing the show, just think it is good but weird.

• April 11, 2013 at 11:29 amCherrie

It IS weird isn’t it? But somehow I just roll with it and it’s fun to watch when you don’t ask too many questions and just accept the show as it is. Somehow it all works out that way =P

• April 11, 2013 at 1:00 pmCybersteel

And here I was hoping that Crime Edge can cut through EVERYTHING even indestructible kiling goods or maybe even cut intangible objects like dreams or ideas. I guess that’d be too OP for him to have something similar to Mystic Eyes of Death Perception.

• April 11, 2013 at 2:07 pmZen

A little early to be jumping to conclusions about the limits of his power, don’t you think? It is a shounen series after all, and power ups are a staple…you might just get your wish…;)

• April 11, 2013 at 9:29 amAki-Chan

Gory , weird , mysterious , funny , tragic , kawaii , romantic , fluffy , moving ….. I don’t think I’ve come across an anime that has had all this and more all at once. Maybe across the whole anime sure , but never in a single episode….Crime Edge is fast becoming my season favorite ^^

• April 11, 2013 at 12:29 pmcopperfield

I picked it up because Iwai is so Kawaii!
    I stay because Iwai is so kawaii and the plot is interesting

• April 14, 2013 at 1:36 amAki-Chan

Iwai Kawaii :)
      I actually picked up Crime Edge for a similar reason…..I wasn’t actually planning to watch it but I was bored waiting for the anime that I HAD planned on watching to come out so i watched the first episode because i remembered Iwai’s Kawaii in the trailer….and then the episode and the plot and everything else hooked me , so i’m here to stay (for lack of a better expression)

• April 11, 2013 at 1:56 pmCybersteel

Reminds me of

• April 11, 2013 at 6:29 pmNgai

I love the touching/nuzzling they do. Like a boyfriend and girlfriend chilling together, where exchanges of feelings don’t need words… even if it is slightly fetish based. Don’t often see this kind of relationship in anime, where usually it’s all about getting embarrassed etc.

Solid 2nd episode. Iwaii is cute ^^

• April 12, 2013 at 1:08 amLim Lynn

Episode 2 masochist suitable for 18 and above bloody needle wound.

• April 12, 2013 at 6:25 amzengar

LOLICON IS JUSTICE!!!

• April 13, 2013 at 8:09 amThe Moondoggie

Sir, you do not love the Lolicon: you love the Loli.

Loli is love, loli is justice….

Lolis are the future XD.

• April 12, 2013 at 5:23 pmMagoiichi

I finally got around to watching this after making some progress in my backlog with Nyaruko season 1 and I still got Railgun and Index left to start watching.

I’m glad the adaptation is being faithful so far.The color switch during the battle scene was weird and I can’t tell if that was the studio’s way of censorship or attempting to add dramatic effect.

After watching Unlimited:Kyosuke Hyoubu a while back, everytime someone says Queen I image Kyosuke’s voice lol.

I can’t wait for Show Spoiler ▼

The Professor is right

• April 13, 2013 at 8:07 amThe Moondoggie

The OP is just perfect, but why am I so reminded of Asura Cryin now?

Anyway LOLfightscene. So Authors instantly get the skills of the former murderers who handled the Killing Goods? Because that’s the only explanation I can think of when the protagonists starts fencing around with THE SEVERING CRIME EDGE! like it was natural.

• April 13, 2013 at 7:36 pmsealouse

This episode was a lot more “clear cut” than the first one.

• April 19, 2013 at 8:42 amJosismyname

This show is really awesome, I really didn’t want to watch it but since ep2 I got really attached by it