Bleach 537 – The Final Solution »« Bleach 534, 535 – How I Met Your Mother

Bleach 536 – June Truth

Bleach Manga   536   01

The levity of the situation seemed to drop pretty quickly once Isshin arrived inside Masaki to save her from the giant floating hollow head. I’m pretty sure those two people were a match made in heaven. It wasn’t too surprising seeing Masaki’s enthusiasm at meeting Isshin again, since it was clear that she was worrying about him from before, but it was hilarious seeing her completely disregard the fact that she was butt-naked, for example flashing her boobs inadvertently (or maybe purposely) while asking for his name. She’s definitely not a shy one; ecchi is pretty subdued for the most part in Bleach, and their interactions are great to watch. Sadly, things aren’t great for Ryuuken as he has to break off his relationship with Masaki and leave her in the care of Isshin. However, I do see the potential of him getting together with Katagiri, and maybe she will end up being Ishida’s mother as well.

This concludes much of Ichigo’s background story, as it explains why he is both shinigami and quincy, and also where he got his inner hollow from. After the hollow surfaced in Ichigo, the link between it and Isshin broke, and he received his powers back. Of course there are still other questions to be answered, like whether Ichigo’s sisters also have the hollow inside of them. Unless they aren’t blood-related, I think they should be quincy/shinigami at least, though they haven’t realized the full extent of their abilities yet. Finally, there’s the big mystery of how Masaki actually died. Isshin makes it clear that the whole story with Grand Fisher was not true, but what actually happens is still up in the air. It could be Aizen, one of the quincies/shinigami, hollow Ichigo, or anybody else really, but this is likely to have big implications. Regardless of what it was though, based off what we know of their relationship from the very early chapters of Bleach to the current flashback, Isshin must have been no less than devastated when their family lost her.

May 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm
  • May 11, 2013 at 10:12 pmCamora

I don’t usually say stuff like this but that one frame with Masaki as the center of the universe with Isshin and all the planets and stuff was adorable.

• May 11, 2013 at 11:31 pmL002

Yes, that is so Orihime, along with Ichigo and Uryu.

I am actually surprised that Isshin ….. well didn’t had a nose bleed when he first saw his wife naked. That is more of a reaction I would see from Ichigo. Is this really Ichigo’s idiot father? The same guy that makes perverted jokes with his daughters and makes failed assassination attempts on Ichigo.

This is Isshin in his youth. ‘cringe’ ……Will Ichigo grow up to be like that?

• May 11, 2013 at 10:15 pmK

I can’t believe I’m saying this but…. a lot of the stuff covered from the last flash back arc actually made a lot of sense. That said I’m actually looking forward to bleach every week I just hope Kubo doesn’t do anything stupid when he’s finally made his series a decent read once more.

• May 11, 2013 at 11:22 pmsortedevaras

Haha you must be new.

• May 11, 2013 at 10:23 pm4238428243

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• May 11, 2013 at 10:23 pmgawrshness

Wait a minute man how can it not be the Grand Fisher? We had all that drama in the story in the beginning…like Ichigo losing his cool fighting Grand Fisher and wounding him and later on how Isshin spoke about avenging his wife after slicing the Grand Fisher in half and stuff…Come on even Kubo won’t nullify the facts he has established before…

• May 11, 2013 at 10:39 pmNadester

Leave it to Aizen to explain things that Kubo can’t. I think Kubo is sill caught in Aizen’s Shikai. Just as planned :P

• May 11, 2013 at 10:40 pmNadester

*still

• May 11, 2013 at 11:04 pmWildKaiser

IIRC, wasn’t it only Ichigo who thought that Grand Fisher killed his mum? That and it’s really weird how Grand Fisher could actually kill Masaki since she’s pretty powerful.

In other news, Masaki is awesome! Love her design and personality. (And that body.. guhehe)

• May 12, 2013 at 1:21 amgawrshness

after a bit of thinking I remember Kubo just adds stuff as he goes on. If Aizen was behind Masaki dying right from the beginning Isshin would have been a lot more pissed off when he fought Aizen in FKT but that wasn’t even alluded to back then.

• May 12, 2013 at 3:06 amanon

It’s possible she lost her Quincy powers just as Isshin lost his Shinigami powers.

• May 12, 2013 at 12:39 amZero Hour 17

Well maybe Grand Fisher killed her, but she seems way to powerful for that, so I’m thinking there is more to it than that. Let’s just hope it wasn’t Ichigo’s hollow form as a kid that killed her

• May 12, 2013 at 1:17 amgawrshness

that’d be pretty nasty…and will likely result in a few chapters of Ichigo depression that will slow the story pacing to a crawl

• May 11, 2013 at 10:24 pmDa5id

Guys, I know this is a long shot…

…but I think that maid might be Uryu’s mom.

• May 11, 2013 at 10:33 pmNadester

██████░░░▀████▀░▀░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀█████████▄
      ██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄████████████
      ██████░░▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄░░░██████████████
      ██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▀░░▄███████████████
      ███████▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀░░░▄▀▄███████████████

• May 12, 2013 at 2:30 amAzureNova

Pretty sure that was just an obvious joke, haha.

• May 12, 2013 at 11:19 amZen

Da5id gets to harp about it because he’s the first person who called it her on this site…XP

• May 11, 2013 at 11:19 pmKarides

This is it. Dun dun dun.

Ichigo killed his own mother.

• May 12, 2013 at 12:21 amImPossible

Aizen – it’s better than what I have planned.

• May 12, 2013 at 12:40 amZero Hour 17

I got the same feeling

• May 11, 2013 at 11:38 pmDrift

This idiot is only saying this because the IchiOri fandom thinks Masaki looks like Orihime therefore if Isshin and Masaki are confirmed, so is Ichigo Orihime. That’s how low they need to go in order to confirm their fandom.

• May 12, 2013 at 12:56 amKandur

Could never see the logic in that.

Isshin: genki pervert
      Masaki: genki pervert
      Ichigo: aloof loner tsundere
      Rukia: aloof loner tsundere

Duuuh.

• May 12, 2013 at 1:34 amDa5id

But…the age difference.

• May 12, 2013 at 3:51 amKandur

…is there in both cases? Yes? And?

• May 12, 2013 at 11:26 pmDa5id

But…lack of romance…or interaction during this arc.

• May 11, 2013 at 11:40 pmDrift

I never thought Bleach will be a manga where the main character’s mum’s nipples will to shown before any of the other hot female characters. Kubo is going bold with his nudity, with Rukia’s full butt and stuff recently.

That being said, is it bad that I think Kubo does his flashbacks better than he does his main plot?

• May 12, 2013 at 12:42 amZero Hour 17

This was a great chapter imo. I and alot of others always believed Ishiin lost his powers from the Final Getsuga Tenshou and because of that I thought it was weird he went a year without telling Ichigo how to reverse the effects. Didn’t see it coming that he was still suppressing the hollow after it transferred to Ichigo

• May 12, 2013 at 12:48 amLone Wanderer

Erm, I wonder how with just the ‘shell’ (gigai?) Isshin can make Masaki pregnant?

Was the ‘shell’ able to retrieve all Isshin’s DNA while he’s in spirit form (hint: atoms and reishi are different things)? From where?

And then the shell able to replicate all Isshin’s organs, tissues, etc. too (hint: the most important organ that made Ichigo exists).

Also, how on earth medical lessons for spirits (build from reishi) could benefit living humans (made of atoms)?

Lastly, are all those gigais used by the shinigamis while they’re in the living world are the same too?

Anyone?

• May 12, 2013 at 2:14 amDualash

I think that you may be overthinking in terms of the gigai relationship with Isshin’s soul (though it is understandable); I think Urahara would have designed the gigai to the reproductive organs for the shell (which then Isshin’s soul is put into the shell, though how Urahara got Isshin’s DNA inside the shell is up to Kubo to explain but maybe the gigai is like the hard copy of Isshin’s soul and Isshin’s DNA is based on Isshin’s soul, kind of like how in the mod soul arc the reishi of the shinigami were put into the reigai to make their doubles).

For the other question about the medical experience, I think soul reapers still learn about first aid and as far as I can see they do know how to bandage injuries on the job (though of course we don’t really know what kind of medical training they teach in the Sereitei…)

• May 12, 2013 at 12:57 amVivace

Masaki is heart-warmingly gorgeous.

• May 12, 2013 at 1:24 amZanyuki

No. This is going towards the Anakin Skywalker route – ergo, Ichigo is born through Masaki’s virgin birth and is the son of the Hollow/Quincy/reiatsu/etc, just like Anakin is the “son” of the Force.

• May 12, 2013 at 1:26 amDa5id

But…they’re clearly together by the end of that flashback. Why would they not do it?

• May 12, 2013 at 1:48 amAnanas

Almost nipple.

• May 12, 2013 at 2:31 amDualash

Overall, the chapter answered a lot of my questions and I love how Kubo draws Masaki’s expressions, oh how I could just imagine the hijinks in the house with two energetic parents.

But in terms of the hollow transfer to Ichigo, I think that in a way Prooof, that maybe we shouldn’t treat the hollow like a gene but kind of like a symbiote where it went from Masaki to Ichigo and not to Karin or Yuzu; though I don’t know about shinigami powers, it could be like a recessive gene or a “hit or miss” where you either have an affinity as a shinigami or you don’t (but good points to consider in terms or inheriting shinigami powers and then some)

Random thought: I wonder how Kubo will draw Masaki as grown up since Isshin will probably have a flashback with grown-up Masaki and Kubo has developed a new drawing style (compared to the earlier chapters), would Masaki look like the original or maybe more in terms of like his teenage version of Masaki?

• May 12, 2013 at 9:51 amGradius

Zangetsu and the hollow were originally one according to both of them. So Ichigo’s shinigami powers are a result of the hollow influenced either by spirit-gene-thingies or by Isshin’s soul being tied to it.

• May 12, 2013 at 5:04 amNeckzor

heh you could even say Aizen created that illusion of grand fisher to make it look such a way or even a bit altering memory to make sense of this so called plot filling business kubo is doing. No offense though, I did enjoy this background business ;p

• May 12, 2013 at 8:17 amAddon

So when Isshin got his powers back, is he constantly wearing a gigai all the time now?

• May 12, 2013 at 9:23 amGermanguy

In Human world, all Shinigami must wear Gigai if they want to interact with Humans. Without them they are like Spirits. Unseen for Humans like the Ghosts. But they can still harm the surroundings in Battle

• May 12, 2013 at 8:17 amjunglepenguin

Boobs.

What was this chapter about again?

• May 12, 2013 at 8:27 amKairoru

So the flashback has ended, and the next chapter will be another flashback?

• May 12, 2013 at 12:11 pmKandur

When did you fall under the illusion that the end of the flashback means that the flashback is over?

• May 12, 2013 at 10:09 amZensa

Ichigo inherited “the hollow” through Masaki – whitey – Meaning he’s sisters are safe.

• May 12, 2013 at 11:15 amZen

Theory: Normal shinigami need to imprint their internal reiryoku on Asauchi as a conduit to give it physical, weaponizable form. Quincies on the other hand are able to shape external reiryoku into physical weapons at will.

Ichigo, being both a quincy and a shinigami was born with the special internal reiryoku of the shinigami which enables them to forge zanpaktou out of Asauchi and the reiryoku-shaping abilities of a quincy. So he is able to shape his internal shinigami-reiryoku into weaponizable physical form (I.e. a zanpaktou) at will without an Asauchi by means of his quincy reiryoku shaping abilities- just like how Uryuu shapes his bow out of atmospheric spirit energy, Ichigo shapes his sword out of internal spirit energy subconsciously. Up to this point in time he’s been doing it instinctually. What he needs to learn now is to how to do it consciously and for that he’ll need to get in touch with his quincy heritage, and perhaps learn a thing or two about reiryoku shaping from Uryuu…

Please, Kubo, give us a logically coherent explanation for Ichigo’s powers…I’m asking for too much aren’t I…XP

• May 12, 2013 at 12:23 pmanon

That’s actually a good theory, you might be right.

• May 12, 2013 at 8:12 pmVsin

If this actually happens, it’ll be proof that Kubo reads RandomC :P

• May 12, 2013 at 8:20 pmZen

Lol, I doubt he actually knows English well enough to read it…XP

• May 12, 2013 at 1:27 pmstarss

I want young Misaki as my mommy! :D She’s super cool and it just breaks my heart even more that she had to die before the series began.

• May 12, 2013 at 3:46 pmriii

Oh why did you have to bring that not related crap up? It’s bad enough in Oreimo.

• May 12, 2013 at 4:54 pmspikerman87

Wow…Ichigo is going to become a lump of depression when he learns he was the one who killed his own mom. Lots of cookies to eat. Maybe they need the proper motivation to rescue Halibel?…or Ashido Kanō while we’re at it.

• May 12, 2013 at 8:18 pmrandomly

To those Orihime/Ichigo shippers (thought I can’t say I understand them): did anyone else notice the HUGE parallels between the scene when Issin saved Masaki and the scene when Ichigo saved Rukia? Masaki and Rukia are held in the EXACT same position and the Japanese line Isshin and Ichigo use to greet Masaki and Rukia is exactly the same also. I mean think about it:

Boy meets girl who saves his life.
    One of the pair loses his/her shinigami powers. (Though both Isshin and Rukia regain theirs in time.)
    Boy repays girl by later saving her as well.
    Their fates are forever tied together…

Hate to say it Ichihime fans, but I think Kubo’s being pretty clear here.

• May 12, 2013 at 11:28 pmDa5id

You know, there is a possibility he could end up with no one.

• May 13, 2013 at 2:23 amZen

I want that to happen just so that we can watch all the shippers squirm. Simply priceless…XP

• May 13, 2013 at 8:44 pmNominally

Oh, I don’t doubt that—this is Shounen Jump after all, so I actually fully expect that Ichigo will “officially” end up with no one. That said, I do think parallels like the ones I pointed out (especially the choice of the same first line and the positioning of Rukia and Masaki/the lay out of the panels) are clear enough so as to be intended by the author. I’m not saying that Kubo will ultimately have Rukia and Ichigi get married and spawn even more freakishly diverse spirit babies, but it does seem like Kubo is trying to tell his readers that he does, in fact, remember what happened 200+ chapters ago and he wants us to remember too. In a way, I actually think it helps validate these flashback sequences; it makes me feel, as a reader, that maybe Kubo did have a plan this whole time (and wasn’t just following Aizen’s).

If I came off as a shipper, that wasn’t my intention. Frankly, I was just putting this out there because it helps underscore how ridiculous some of the shipping arguments have become (ex. Orihime and Masaki are both fun so CLEARLY, Ichigo will marry the former). I think we can all agree that it’s one thing to pick up on the parallels the author (literally) draws for us, and another thing entirely to just rail on about your favorite couple.

• May 13, 2013 at 8:46 pmNominally

P.S. I’m the same person as the one who left the randomly comment, I just forgot to log in from my iPad. #firstworldproblems