KARNEVAL – 07, 08 »« KARNEVAL – 05

Karneval   06   19 Karneval   06   20 Karneval   06   21
Karneval   06   22 Karneval   06   23 Karneval   06   24
Karneval   06   25 Karneval   06   26 Karneval   06   27
Karneval   06   28 Karneval   06   29 Karneval   06   30
Karneval   06   31 Karneval   06   32 Karneval   06   33
Karneval   06   34 Karneval   06   35 Karneval   06   36

「朝陽の翼」 (Asahi no Tsubasa)
“Wings of Morning Light”

Is it just me, or have the last two episodes of KARNEVAL been distinctly… purple?

We only have one mention of tea parties this week as the drama surrounding Yotaka’s death unfolds. Tsubame, having lost both her elder sister and her twin brother, is utterly broken, and Gareki is no better off. Nai too is struggling to understand the pain of her loss, but most of the guilt for the action seems to come from both Gareki and Yogi. Gareki, of course, feels at fault for having abandoned the twins in the first place, and though Tsubame later learns that his intentions were good, this doesn’t change the fact that he left. Yogi, however, is in the position of having to come to terms with his job and the implications of being a member of Circus. Though he’s been aware of all the people they’ve been killing after they become Varuga (beluuuuugaaaa) at the hands of Kafka, this is probably one of the first instances where he came to know the victim personally before seeing him killed before his eyes. Though Circus may call it “putting the victims to rest”, they’re essentially murdering for the sake of simplifying their problem, one they have no real alternative to fix yet.

In the meantime, a different division of Circus arrives as backup, led by the somewhat unpleasant Tsukitachi (Yusa Kouji), a seemingly cheerful man who doesn’t rub all that well with Hirato. He seems to know a bit more about Gareki’s past, mentioning that his presence on the ship he washed out from is an ironic twist of fate, whatever he means by that. What is apparent is that Tsukitachi and Haruto know much more about Kafka and Gareki’s past than they’re ready to divulge, and that Gareki may turn out to be just as valuable as Nai in the long run.

In the despair that follows, Tsubame chooses to go with Circus after declaring that she has no one left; her grandfather is in the hospital with no memory of her, her siblings are dead, and Gareki left her behind. Though essentially giving her life to become a test subject, her original intention of doing so for the sake of throwing her life away changes once she realizes that Gareki left and involved himself in shady business for the sake of paying her grandfather’s hospital bills. The man who transformed her brother may be dead, and Hirato may have been the one who struck the final blow, but her life now possesses purpose; as a test subject, she has the potential to help Circus uncover more about the Varuga than was previously known. The action may be the same, but the intention is not, and sometimes that makes a world of difference.

Full-length images: 05, 07, 20, 31.

Karneval   06   Preview 01 Karneval   06   Preview 02 Karneval   06   Preview 03
May 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm
  • May 12, 2013 at 4:19 pmMagoiichi

So i guessed right the reason Gareki left the twins, woot!The purple moon gives everybody a purple tint.

More mysteries piled ontop of other mysterious and no answers ;/ The preview is just a giant tease.

• May 12, 2013 at 4:53 pmMonks

It never caught my attention in previous episodes, but I liked the music in this episode. Particularly as Hirato released his little flying woman army to capture the Varuga, as that scene brought back memories of Final Fantasy Tactics’ soundtrack (which is one of the highest compliments I can give).

• May 12, 2013 at 5:09 pmKairi

I liked the music too! Not all the time, but some of it was very nice.

• May 12, 2013 at 7:11 pmA Dollar Member

Yeah, I agree – there’s just purple EVERYWHERE and to be honest, it’s kind of hard to see what’s going on (especially if you’ve turned down the screen brightness). Couldn’t help cheering when they came back out into the sunlight.

I think what Tsukitachi meant was that the ship Gareki was on after he was sold (explained in episode 4 or something, I believe) was sunken by Circus members.

• May 12, 2013 at 11:27 pmKairi

Yeah, I had a REALLY hard time telling apart what was happening, especially in the day time.

• May 12, 2013 at 8:23 pmchioneicedyrken

this week’s preview was so cute~ I found the episode too be pretty dragged out. I know it’s an aftermath but it feels so distinct somehow…

• May 12, 2013 at 8:30 pmSDFSDG

I really hope we see more of Tsubame because that speech of hers at the end made me cry! Though am I the only one who would like an explanation to how the Circus members have their powers?

• May 13, 2013 at 12:10 pmElly

Tsubame does show up again later in the manga, though I’m pretty sure the anime won’t make it that far. And there is an explanation coming up, actually!

• May 14, 2013 at 8:41 pmAnnami

I really liked this episode some more insight into characters , I love character development. But I have to say there are so many characters its hard to keep their names straight or even remember their names for that matter

• August 16, 2013 at 3:45 amArukiella

This episode was somewhat more interesting at the end, yet overall boring.
    I do have one questions that has been intriguing me. How can they fly up in the air?