Bleach 539 – Progress »« Bleach 537 – The Final Solution

Bleach 538 – The Chosen One

Bleach Manga   538   01

Things are proceeding very quickly now that Ichigo is finally aware of who he really is. It only takes four panels from him saying goodbye to his dad, to getting back into Nimaiya’s place, and picking his new zanpakutou spirit. The Asauchi don’t even attack him this time, and apparently deem him worthy enough to kneel before him. I don’t know what exactly caused them to respect him this time within a span of a day or two of beating the crap out of him, but it does make him look like a badass, despite not making complete sense. Interestingly, the Asauchi he chooses materializes into something like his hollow form. We’ll have to see what his new zanpakutou will look like and what will happen with Zangetsu, if anything. Although his old sword was broken, it seems very unlikely that it’s completely gone from Ichigo, but I have no idea what this new spirit will mean for his original shinigami and hollow powers.

In Soul Society, the other shinigami are also trying to recover. Kensei calls Hisagi over for training, and as usual it involves the “get stronger or die trying” tactic. He has flawless logic: the quincy can steal bankai’s, so he better get his ready too! Kensei also insults Tousen too, someone who Hisagi still respects a lot (somewhat irrationally), but maybe the provocation is just what he needs. Hitsgugaya has a better approach by honing his skills other than his bankai, and simply doing the best he can do, but unfortunately I don’t think it will be enough. Elsewhere, Captain Komamura is also going back to his roots, and he visits a strange cave where a giant dog is residing. By big dog, I mean at least 50 times bigger than Komamura himself. He doesn’t seem to too happy to see him, though no doubt he’ll eventually agree to help. We might be able to learn a little about Komamura’s origins and backstory, and hopefully he will be able to make himself more useful in next battle.

May 23, 2013 at 12:15 am
  • May 23, 2013 at 12:33 amHakumeiJin

Wait so the fact that there was a guy who looked like a dog/wolf is actually going to get explained? That surprised me way more than Ichigo being able to succeed in his training.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:50 amRickyMack

wait, so you’re reading a series that features gigantic malevolent spirits like hollows, magical swords, fake bodies, traveling through multiple dimensions…and the fact that they haven’t explained a dog man has been bugging you?

• May 23, 2013 at 4:38 amMistweapons

All these “features” you have said have been seen and span from chapter 1 to now. All these holders are human that posses spiriture power and Komamura is the only animal. So when i saw fist him, I was how the hell did HE became a captain. A story about his past does interest me than seen ichigo getting new powers 4 different ways in 4 panels. It’s like saying who cares if kenpachi does not have a bankai being a captain which clearly seeing him get his zanpakto’s name and bankai will be badass.

• May 24, 2013 at 1:08 amRickyMack

I never said his backstory as to how he became a captain wouldn’t be intriguing. You’re correct that he’s the sole “non human,” but I’m wondering why, in an obviously fantasy setting, would an anamorphic character would need an explanation as to how he exists. Even if he’s a rarity in sole society, it’s almost similar to questioning the existence of non human jedi. Considering how Aizen referred to the Soul King as a “thing” I wouldn’t put it past Kubo that the Soul King is also a non human.

• May 23, 2013 at 11:26 amsortedevaras

Explained? Lol no, that’s not going to happen.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:40 amL002

I have to love how Bleach atmosphere always “ruins one’s cool” after when a main character announces something profound.

I am a little surprise how Mashiro is a “super vice-captain,” wikipedia labeled her a co-vice-captain. Either way, I am sure that maybe, unlike all the other women in the Soul Society, Hisagi may have some luck with Mashiro. Anyway, I am shocked that Hisagi will use a Bankai.

Ichigo, I will wonder if perhaps he will save Harribel, she always did look like the Bar Tender Onee-san. And if Ichigo will develop Quincy powers now.

• May 23, 2013 at 3:02 pmSilentCid

This is Mashiro who can’t have it any other way but to make her name look that much cooler.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:46 amWatermelon

Aaaaand Ichigo’s new bankai will be bow – quincy-like shinigami with hollow powers. Aizen will be proud.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:51 amL002

“shrug” who knows. Aizen wanted to make Ichigo stronger in the past, but he didn’t bother letting Ichigo gaining Quincy powers. Which meant that Ichigo didn’t need Quincy powers or that Aizen just didn’t know what method to use.

• May 23, 2013 at 3:46 amNadester

LOL. Ichigo is like “Bow down bitches” to his Asauchi. It’s all a part of Aizen’s plan.
      Aizen: That’s right, continue to grow Kurosaki. Just like I’d hope you would.

• May 23, 2013 at 4:45 amLaughingMan

His new bankai will be Unlimited Bankai Works.

• May 23, 2013 at 10:57 amMagoiichi

Ichigo is the bone of his zanpakuto
        Hollow is his body and Quincy is his blood
        He has fought over a thousand enemies
        Unknown to Shinigami, Nor known to Hollows
        Have withstood pain to win various fights
        Yet, his battles will never end
        So as he prays, Unlimited Bankai Works!

• May 23, 2013 at 9:22 amIzu42

i really hope not.
      A bow would probably be a kido type and wouldn’t fit ichigo’s melee style at all, that and the fact don’t swords need to have a blade? this is a zanpakuto made for shinigami after all.

• May 23, 2013 at 10:46 amZero Hour 17

A Zanpakuto is a sword in base form, but there are a ton of examples of shikai and bankai both being different. From Unohana’s flying sting ray thing to Ikkaku’s spear and Kurotsuchi’s giant baby, poison monster thing. Though I agree a bow wouldn’t fit Ichigo at all, though it would be cool if maybe he could form the one handed bow like his mom to go with his zanpakuto

• May 23, 2013 at 9:04 pmctscloud

Plotkai at it’s finest. Thank you, Kubo.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:48 amZaku_Fan

I think the asauchi scene is similar to a teacher trying to teach Einstein the theory of relativity but with the catch that Einstein immediately covers his ears whenever he hears the word relativity.

If that Einstein can overcome his fear (rejection of his hollow half for Ichigo), there is no longer a need to teach anything.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:52 amryuuzaki

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• May 23, 2013 at 12:59 amDualash

I would suggest expanding on your thought to why you would think this way since you’re not really explaining your dissatisfaction with the chapter or the whole manga itself(I thought the chapter was okay, a little rushed with Ichigo’s development but nevertheless very intriguing)

• May 23, 2013 at 12:56 amPsithief

Seems legit.
    Those Asauchi probably had to sit through a day-long lecture about their behaviour.

I’m sure we’ll see Ichigo’s resolve waver soon enough, like it always does.

I think the remaining big question is really this:
    Can the elite quincy steal more than one bankai at a time? To be more specific, did they actually carry more than one bankai-stealing focus on them?
    I am currently doubting they can do so, but that’s just basic storyteller’s instinct – something Kubo doesn’t have. ;)

• May 23, 2013 at 1:05 amDualash

I kind of wonder now how Zangetsu would look as he is going to be forged again; having his asauchi to appear like his hollow form, its certainly going to keep me thinking about it.
    *looks at fanart of Zangetsu as a female*

• May 25, 2013 at 2:55 pmKarma

As far as I understood, Zangetsu won’t be repaired and Ichigo is receiving a (somewhat) completely new sword spirit.

• May 23, 2013 at 1:24 amstupid_niggers

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• May 23, 2013 at 2:16 amasba1991

It almost looks like he thumb-wrestled the Asauchi into submission.

• May 23, 2013 at 3:21 amgawrshness

That scene with the kneeling zanpakuto holding Ichigo’s hand kinda reminds me of God Father…

• May 23, 2013 at 4:54 amDa5id

Okay, Komamua’s past IS something I’ve been wanting to hear about for awhile, but can we PLEASE get back to fighting Quincies now?!

• May 23, 2013 at 6:39 amspikerman87

Captains want to be retrained? No it’s called learning the 90′s level Kido. If you learn 90′s level Way of Binding and 90′s level Way of Destruction it might come in handy…just saying

• May 23, 2013 at 7:34 amGermanguy

Ichigos new Sword will be a Dual Sword. Like the Hollow had the Swords on his Arms.

He will be the first, that use Dual Blade Sword Style

• May 23, 2013 at 8:09 amIzu42

the first? i think your forgetting Shunsui, Jushiro and technically Yamamoto.

• May 23, 2013 at 8:11 amCybersteel

• May 23, 2013 at 8:17 amDan

both Kyoraku and Ukitake have 2 swords in shikai…
      also i liked the SAO reference xD

• May 23, 2013 at 7:37 amZen

…but it does make him look like a badass, despite not making complete sense.

That’s Kubo in top form right there. Kubo in his worst form is when the story simply doesn’t make any sense minus the badass factor (Sense is never present anyways)…XP

• May 23, 2013 at 7:54 amYanDaMan

Ichigo gona have 2 Zanpaktos eventually I bet, Zangetsu will return along with this new one. Then he can go DOUBLE BANKAI~!

• May 23, 2013 at 8:33 amCorey Lucas

Dragonball Z with swords at it’s finest. Lol. At Least got somewhat interesting, but Kubo is still a shitty writer. Stan Lee can write circles around Kubo. In fact If Joss Whedon wrote Bleach RUKIA would be the Protagonist, just like how it was intended to be. I Miss old Rukia when she was useful knowledgable, and teacher like. Also the captains and vice captains training to battle without their bankai ain’t gonna do shit for them in the long run. I find it Hilarious that with Ichigo’s great family history gave him the balls to find his zanpakuto spirit that fast. LOL. Um, i think we are forgetting the Spirit King what Happened to him anyway? Also, if Aizen comes back I hope kubo doesn’t make him even more broken. Aizen may plan ahead….but he ain’t no freakin Dr. Doom!!

• May 23, 2013 at 8:40 amEdios

so i just caught up to the manga (again), nothing was said about fullbringers, it’s like they never existed for Ichigo in the first place,, did Kubo write them off as fillers?

• May 23, 2013 at 2:27 pmSilivious

They were shown earlier, as having been saved from Rukongai or something by the Shibas.

• May 23, 2013 at 9:23 amZero Hour 17

I can’t wait for Ichigo to fight Juha again.

Ichigo, “You killed my mother”
    Juha, “But I’m your father”
    Ichigo, “Um, no you’re not”
    Juha, “let me finish! Kids these days, no respect. I was going to say Forefather”
    Ichigo, “Bankai” puts on hollow mask. Activates Quincy powers. Combines all 3.

meanwhile…

Aizen, “MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA dance puppets, dance”

• May 23, 2013 at 11:31 amBlimp

Nah, the real mastermind is Yamamoto.
      I bet he is still alive and has planned all this centuries ago (and he is Aizen’s father).

• May 24, 2013 at 5:47 amGan_HOPE326

“My name is Ichigo Montoya. You killed my mother. Prepare to die.”

• May 23, 2013 at 11:28 amsortedevaras

Oh quick cut away from Hisagi! Someone almost showed us a bankai.

• May 23, 2013 at 7:53 pmSecsuey

Man bleach would haven been a far greater manga if Kubo did other characters development and answered question like it have been on this arc, too bad it is too late now :S

• May 23, 2013 at 9:37 pmKroLeXz

Ichigo new Zan will be a Gun Sword called Lionheart

• May 24, 2013 at 1:11 amsortedevaras

He only gets Lionheart when he uses his limit break on those Quincies.

• May 23, 2013 at 9:37 pmSkyArc

I was half expecting Isshin to show up when those shinigami asked what was gonna become of the 10th squad now. Well, that’s what I wanted to happen at least.

• May 23, 2013 at 9:58 pmCamora

Yea, but I think we will see him fight against Juha. Get some good old vengeance for Masaki. I’m hoping he hulks out

• May 24, 2013 at 1:20 pmK C M

Is Tensa Zangetsu coming back or not, if not is He going to be replaced by Asauchi. TK(the author) needs to explain why if that were to be the case. Zangetsu happens to be one of my favourite characters in this show.

• May 24, 2013 at 8:23 pmjn99y4

Yeah…gotta say, I feel that Komamura is probably the worst captain in the Gotei 13