Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince – 11 »« Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince – 09

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince – 10

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   01 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   02 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   03
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   04 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   05 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   06
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   07 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   08 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   09
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   10 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   11 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   12
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   13 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   14 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   15
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   16 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   17 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   18
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   19 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   20 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   21
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   22 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   23 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   24
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   25 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   26 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   27
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   28 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   29 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   30
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   31 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   32 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   33
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   34 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   35 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   36

「狩るもの、狩られるもの」 (Karu mono , kara rerumono)

“The Hunter and the Hunted”

Not for the first time, Majestic Prince has surprised me in its ability to present considerable information dump in a way that is not only intriguing, but also somewhat decipherable. The latest episode continues to flesh out its world-building effort and I was frankly quite amazed at how many questions were elucidated in a mere twenty minutes. The formal introduction of the Wulgaru defectors, Teoria (Itou Shizuka) and Daneel (Suzuki Chihiro), came with both answers and new mysteries, but it seems like our suspicion is just about correct – the humans and Wulgaru did originate from the same gene pool, and that’s the reason why their appearances look very much alike. Aptly pointed out by Commander Simon, the Wulgaru’s gene-hunting activities can best be explained by an analogy with the venture of fishery. In this instance, their genes – as opposed to juvenile fishes – were distributed across the universe in the hope that one day, the evolved beings of Wulgaru’s genetic origins could be harvested as supplements – one which could enhance their own exhausting vitality.

There’s certainly no clear-cut answer as to whether the Wulgaru is in the right or wrong, and the debate over here, to some extent, is akin to the one Urobuchi Gen raised in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. On the one hand, the Wulgaru are simply pursuing what they deemed as the best route for survival and their current endeavors no different from reaping the harvest of a successful experimental project – after all, without the Wulgaru, there will be no humans! On the other hand, there’s the question surrounding the basic rights of an evolved sentient being – one that possesses a consciousness at a similar level – and whether the superior alien race should have the prerogative to rob them of their future. Clearly, Teoria has sided with the latter, but the consequence of her action is one that could lead to the extinction of her own people and no matter how you put it, that’s an extremely costly price to pay – an outcome that I suspect, she’s fully aware of!

Of course, it’s not just the viewers who are confounded, the latest bombshell has also presented a fascinating dilemma for Team Rabbit. I don’t think there’s any question that the Zannen 5 is struggling through an identity crisis of their own and they definitely have every right to question the intent of the higher-ups in charge. What is their role in this war and are they nothing more lab rats or in this case, rabbits to the humans – those are just some of the issues at hand that understandably give cause for concern and the introduction of a looming “love pentagon” is only going to complicate matters further. I am especially intrigued by the enigmatic connection between Izuru and Teoria, and as it turns out, the Wulgaru noblewoman is an old friend of Izuru’s and it seems like the both of them shared a bond that is reasonably familiar in the past. It’s not at all clear what the exact nature of their relationship is, but the pronounced impact that such a revelation had on Izuru is more than conspicuous – the love-struck adolescent could barely conceal the amusement from his face. Needless to say, I have yet to write off Kei as a potential love interest for Izuru, but what comes next for the romantic subplot is, indeed, hard to call and I suspect there’s going to be waves of drama and commotion before all the facts are finally buttoned down.

Then there’s the question besieging Teoria’s relation to Jiart and what it means to the present war. As Kei pertinently adverted to, both Jiart and Teoria looked suspiciously resembling and the fact that Teoria refused to divulge more information about the prince indicates a certain secret that she intends to hide. Speaking of Jiart, the ace pilot of the Wulgaru has indeed, indentified Izuru as his prey and it’s not just the pilot of Red 5 who has been targeted, every single one of the Zannen 5 has been recognized as a superior mark by the roundtable of Wulgaru generals. There’s probably more action to come on that score and as the massive information unload draws to a close, I expect the drama and suspense to pick up in the next few weeks – and the sighting of a Wulgaru craft on Mars, no question, points to that direction!

Random tidbits:

tl;dr: @SeishunRC – #MajesticPrince 10: Did Urobuchi Gen invade Majestic Prince this week? I was quite amazed at how many questions were answered in a mere twenty minutes. #Anime

Shameless Plug: We’ve just revamped Random Curiosity’s “About This Site”. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Full-length images: 02, 11, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34.

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   Preview 01 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   Preview 02 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince   10   Preview 03
June 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm
  • June 10, 2013 at 12:48 pmTSouL

The craft on Mars might even be Teoria’s mom herself. It is reasonable to see her escape as well since she isn’t viewed highly in the Wulgaru world to say the least.

• June 11, 2013 at 2:58 amSeishun

I agree and I have a bad feeling she’s probably not alive.
      Izuru would have plenty of opportunities to comfort the girl with the broken heart :x

• June 10, 2013 at 12:55 pmTheMoondoggie

Nice infodump episode. So basically MJP is official Vandread Seed Destiny. Not that it’s a bad idea.

Episode score 8.5/10

P.S. Also, best girl is losing. http://randomc.net/image/Ginga%20Kikoutai%20Majestic%20Prince/Ginga%20Kikoutai%20Majestic%20Prince%20-%2010%20-%20Large%2019.jpg

• June 10, 2013 at 1:08 pmReddyRedWolf

The Wulgaru are pretty much what the Earthers are in Vandread who harvest human oegans from colonists.

Heh~ Jiart is humanizing his prey. Now I see comparison and contrast between GKMJP and Suisei no Gargantia.

In Gargantia two groups picked different survival strategies to outlast an ice age. One the Evolvers picked transhumanism making them space squid snails. The other the Continental Union found that route idiotic and picked making space travel possible by making colony fleets and wormhole gates. The Evolvers became the Hideauze a lifeform that is very adaptable in space at the cost of their humanity and intelligence. The Continental Union became the Galactic Alliance of Humanity a society forced to be a Social Darwinist Communist regime due to constant war with the Hideauze.

Here the Wulgaru thought themselves an evolutionary dead end.So they seeded their species throughout the galaxies so they can harvest them later. Culling the weak taking the strong in their hunts. Earth took the Augment route (Star Trek reference)so they can colonize space to cover their weaknesses. Those Augments are the Wulgaru’s prized targets. AKA Team Rabbits.

What MJP Earth did was light Transhumanism while the Evolvers in Gargantia is stupid Transhumanism. The Galactic Alliance culls the weak from their own and the strong that survive pass their genes to the next generation. Wulgaru cull the weak and harvests the strong to assimilate them to their gene pool.

• June 10, 2013 at 1:30 pmewok40k

If humans can beat their “creators” it would be a definite case of experiment gone awry…
    Reminds me the dialogue from “Shogun”
    Toranaga: Rebellion against lawful rulers is most heinous crime and sin!
    Blackthorne: Not if you win!

• June 10, 2013 at 1:45 pmTassadar

Alien craft on Mars.. Where have I seen this scene recently..? Ah, yes! Space Battleship Yamato 2199!

As a fellow sci-fi enthusiast, you should have blogged this! Seishun no baka! :( :(

• June 12, 2013 at 9:03 pmSeishun

I love Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199!!! Making five posts a week is unfortunately all I can manage at the moment, but who knows, maybe I’ll do a snapshot post of it when I find the time ;)

• June 13, 2013 at 2:53 amTassadar

+100 points! That’s more like it!

The awkward way that it is being released makes this show hard to follow and be popular, especially in western audiences. However, it is based on one of the most legendary anime and it is truly exceptional in its own right! I think a snapshot post is something it truly deserves; more people need to know about it and give it a shot!

• June 10, 2013 at 2:58 pmPringlesXD

Is this worth watching?

• June 10, 2013 at 3:23 pmSDFSDG

-_- you’re seriously asking this now of all times…and yes, it is. I has one of the best CGI fight animations out there and the characters are all likeable (with the exception of the deuchy old commander) and the plot isn’t as simple as some might have put it off as in the beginning. Also I got to say….Izuru uses hair gel?! Rarely do we see a majority of a guy’s hair come undone in the shower in anime (kind of killing that “I was born naturally with this hair style *ahem* Yugioh *ahem* saying)

• June 10, 2013 at 4:36 pmCaptain Sunshine

Alternately, if you’re not a fan of the character designer, it’s going to get through the show having to look at it the whole time. Yes, the mech designs are unique, but a lot of mech shows tend to prioritize mech designs over story. As for the characters being likable, that’s…debatable. I can see why people like them, but a lot of their interactions just ticked me off.

There, Pringles. You now have two differing and objective views. The rest is up to you.

• June 11, 2013 at 10:10 amPringlesXD

I should have worded my question a little better, but I was in such a hurry it ended up coming a bit rude.

What I wanted to say was: “I haven’t had much time to watch anime and because of that, I am only watching a few anime this season. However, each time I saw an episode of Majestic Prince pop out on randomc I found myself intrigued, yet hestitant to watch something I don’t know if I’ll enjoy or not.” That’s why I wanted to perspective. But thanks, I guess I’ll give it a try and if I like it, I’ll pick it up!

• June 12, 2013 at 9:06 pmSeishun

Yes, absolutely yes :3

• June 12, 2013 at 10:10 pmAlex

I’m been keeping an eye on Valverde (meh), Sunsei (not bad), Hatakara (ok), Yahari (decent), MJP (awesome).

The only reason I don’t watch Shinjeki is because I already read the manga.

Personally, the only anime that I really look forward to each week this season is this series.

• June 14, 2013 at 5:15 pmPringlesXD

Thanks guys, I’ll definitely pick it up!

• June 10, 2013 at 4:20 pmx

Not dark enough to be a work of Urobuchi Gen :p.

• June 10, 2013 at 4:31 pmSetsuna Henry

Kei is so jealous.

• June 10, 2013 at 4:34 pmKira526

I’m one of your female readers! Thought I’d let you know for future reference lol. Also I have to mention how much I really like this show. I was originally drawn in by the unique character styles and what (at first) appeared to be a parody of sci-fi classics. But now I have to say I’m really impressed with the plot and the character development as the show progresses. I also really enjoy the fight/action sequences. I definitely look forward to every new episode and of course every new post. Thanks Seishun!

• June 10, 2013 at 8:06 pmJani

I am also a female reader and loved that shot of Toshikazu!

I must agree with you on the plot, character development and action scenes. I really wasn’t expecting much from this show and didn’t think I would stick around for it, but 10 episodes later and I’m still here and loving it!

• June 12, 2013 at 6:35 amSeishun

Thanks for saying such nice things – I’ve gotten a number of emails/tweets from female readers. Love you gals ;)
      I’m glad you’re enjoying MJP. The show hasn’t been gaining much traction from the mainstream audiences and that’s quite unfortunate. This little gem is a real treat :3

• June 10, 2013 at 5:40 pmflamerounin

wow! thet info dump gave gave me a sort of macross/vandread vibe to the series. and that is in a good way.

i am certainly surprised at how majestic prince is turning out to be more philosophical (or at least deeper) than i thought it would be. on that one, it can be argued that, while the wulgaru’s methods can be argued as wrong, the MJP project can be said as being no better. as kei has put it, these teenages are also being used as lab rats for a sick experiment.

and jiart is starting to become quite an interesting character now. i can see him going several routes already
    1. he ends up defecting to the humans’ side.
    2. he ascends as king (in case galkie dies) and pursues diplomatic relationships between the wulgaru and the humans in the end.
    3. or he *gasp* dies heroically for his people

teoria’s response pretty much confirms (to me at least) that she and jiart are siblings (dunno, probably of different mothers)

and i really can’t wait to see how the romantic subplot unfolds.

• June 10, 2013 at 6:31 pmBanana Furikake

Genetics? Continuing their vitality? Easily solved. Cross breed em!

Teoria x Izuru

• June 10, 2013 at 8:27 pmReddyRedWolf

Except the Wulgaru idea of breeding is likely rape.

• June 11, 2013 at 6:12 amVaans

So it’s likely reverse rape.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:58 pmpaulrenzo

You do realize that from a Wulgaru’s perspective, that is sort of like bestiality.

• June 10, 2013 at 8:09 pmShadow74

Tamaki and Izuru have something in common: The romance puts them enthusiastic.

Kei and Asagi have something in common: They started with a disadvantage. I’d like to see them together, but the law of “opposites attract” is very strong and Asagi by the moment I see him in plan on doing nothing. Depression will be bad for his stomach.

Suruga: This has been a fun character. I hope he finds someone special. LOL XD.

• June 10, 2013 at 8:37 pmzeroomask

if the Wulgaru wanted to harvest humans as supplements to enhance their own life, then why the hell are they turning humans into burning crisps instead of you know….ABDUCTING HUMANS
    So far all we see from the Wulgaru is them blasting humans to kingdom come. Unless it was happening offscreen,at no point in the series did we see them collecting humans,dead or alive, for harvesting

• June 10, 2013 at 9:15 pmflamerounin

I think this is more like sadistic farming in a sense. It’s like they are weeding out the weak ones first until what is left are the ones they deem to be with superior genes. And then they collect those once the species is subjugated. They havent done that yet because the humans are putting a fight. Also this is not about extending their lifespan as individuals, more like extending their genetic diversty as a specie, the genes are what they pass on to the next generation. And this has also been integrated to their cultural belief down the line.

Or so i think ;)

• June 11, 2013 at 12:44 ambaseone

When I first heard Tamaki kinda like singing “I love you”, I thought she was singing Yuna Itou’s “Trust You”(the gundam 00 s2 ending song)

• June 11, 2013 at 5:02 amRisingPhoenix

I thought the same thing too. I started hearing the song the moment Tamaki said those words.

• June 11, 2013 at 9:32 amHaizaraa

Hi, (cuz you were wondering XD) I am also one of your female readers here and I faithfully follow all your Valvrave and Majestic Prince posts. Thank you for the Asagi screenshot this week! Love it! X3

To be honest, I didn’t expect to like Majestic Prince this much, but this show just keeps growing on me more and more each week! I love the cheeky character interaction; it makes the show quite refreshingly entertaining for a mecha, imho. In that same sense, Valvrave is really fun to watch too! Banzai for this season’s mecha! Thanks Seishun for the posts!

• June 12, 2013 at 7:24 pmSeishun

Thanks, I’m glad you like my posts for Valvrave and MJP :3
      It’s too bad we didn’t get a full-length spread for Izuru, I would have made one for him too ;)

• June 12, 2013 at 4:44 amFiveOVER

Hopefully we’re not trolled and Teoria is revealed to be izuru’s adopted mom. :(

• June 12, 2013 at 6:42 amSeishun

That would be like Final Fantasy VIII all over again XD

• June 12, 2013 at 5:17 pmMagoiichi

GINNNNNGA BISHOOOOOOOOOOUNEEEEN!

I liked them jealous stares Kei, but even Rin Rin gave Izuru a look lol.

This episode left me with more questions like who was Izuru before his memory wiped.

• June 12, 2013 at 7:11 pmSeishun

I wonder about that too – the worrisome glare that Rin Rin gave Izuru was quite peculiar :x
      Maybe she wants Teoria for herself :P

• June 12, 2013 at 9:04 pmMagoiichi

But she has Reika, unless Rin Rin wants a harem <3.