Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride – 10
「鎮護石の秘密」 (Chin go ishi no himitsu)
“The Secret of the Guardian Stone”
As we near the end of the series, it’s becoming increasingly clear that all of Hyakka Ryouran up till this point has been a prelude to the grand showdown next week. This was really the first time a larger purpose of the story has emerged, and I was frankly quite surprised at the degree to which the show weaved everything together – from Gisen’s attempt to revive Amakusa Shirou, right down to the recent appearance of the Dark Samurai. It was certainly no coincidence that the Dark Samurai knew where and who to look for at the Yagyuu dojo, and what happened to Nia in her confrontation with the Four Sword Demon is crucial in this respect. True to form, the conniving Tokugawa general had a hand in this conspiracy all along and with the latest revelations, it was finally made clear just what the Guardian Stone is – an enchanted rock hidden under the sacred Mount Fuji. The connection between the Guardian Stone and the resurrection of the Dark Samurai has been vaguely hinted at in the past, but what was not apparent previously is how the events were tied together – and indeed, the elusive nexus was not nearly as straightforward as I thought.
To my great surprise, it was the epic face-off between Juubei and Gisen back at season one that triggered the recent happenings – whether it was the weakening of Guardian Stone’s barrier or the revival of a certain vengeful spirit. The latest unveilings have, without a doubt, caused an internecine strife among the Dark Samurai, and there’s a growing sense of disaccord in their midst that has now become ever more conspicuous. Inshun and Mataemon are clearly poles apart in terms of where they stand and while Mataemon has fully embraced her mission of carnage and destruction, Inshun has thus far resisted the evil spirit’s influence and clout. Then there’s Musashi and Kojiro who exist as the wild card in this impending confrontation, and where their ultimate loyalty lies is still to be determined. Nothing matters to Musashi as much as the upcoming battle royal – that much is clear, but her obsession with Yagyuu Juubei is probably not going to sit well with Kojiro, whose affection for her comrade verges on the edge of mania. The unexpected intervention of the evil spirit has evidently confounded the difficult set of relationships further and I suspect the animosity among their own ranks will only intensify as the imminent showdown approaches.
It’s not just the Dark Samurai who were perplexed by the recent turn of events, Muneakira’s Master Samurai were also presented with a fascinating dilemma of their own. The secret behind the conception of a Samurai Bride is highly complex, to say the least, and a risky proposition like that will never make it past Muneakira’s conscience. There’s probably an easier way to get around this – maybe a consummation of love would do the trick – but as things stand, I can’t say I’m too optimistic about their chances of winning and badass-Juubei will most likely have her hands full in the forthcoming battle. What comes next for the Samurai Girls is hard to tell, but if there’s one thing that I’m remotely assured of at this point, it would be the grandiosity of the incoming showdown – and no question, I’ll be on pins and needles waiting to see how it all wraps up!
- All serious conversations must occur in the bathtub – Gisen look especially seductive when she’s dripping wet!
- Gisen is not just a master of wordplay, she exceptionally skillful with her tongue too!
- It looks like Gisen’s Evil Eye might be making a return very soon.
- “There are only six of us!” – That one had me laughing out loud, and just like Hanzou, I’ve completely forgotten about Sasuke!
- The dere dere side of Nia is too adorable for words – another addition to Juubei’s ever-expanding yuri harem?
- “Hanzou, you’re the right person to be my Samurai Bride” –The nerve of some people! I hope Sen Hime punishes her real good.
- “I’ll have that beast Muneakira all for myself” – While everyone was hard at work, Kanetsugu’s off stealing food!
- “Please refrain from taking pictures of me, it’s unsettling” – Nia’s comment was probably directed toward yours truly. Gotta stitch up those naughty pictures like a pro, only for you guys!
tl;dr: @SeishunRC – #HyakkaRyouran Samurai Bride 10: Samurai Bride, Guardian Stone, vengeful spirit and discussions that can only occur in the bathtub – the intrigue and mysteries were weaved together beautifully! #Anime