Bleach 544 – Don’t Stick Your Dick In Crazy »« Bleach 542 – Two Is Better Than One

Bleach 543 – Grade A Quincy

Bleach Manga   543   01

We knew that Ishida would be with the Sternritter, but I don’t think anybody even remotely suspected that Yhwach would name him as his successor. Ishida is a newcomer and doesn’t seem all that strong, making him a less than obvious choice to be the next emperor of the quincies. Likewise, the Sternritter are also quite shocked at some random kid that they’ve never seen being picked as their next leader. It doesn’t help that Yhwach squashes the dissenting voices immediately and refuses to offer an explanation. That said though, I think he has a good reason for selecting Ishida, and his choice implies that he has insane hidden potential that only needs to be unlocked. Yhwach mentions that Ishida is the sole quincy survivor in this world, which was confusing since Ryuuken is still alive; in addition, his statement seems to imply that the Sternritter and the rest of the army are somehow different or not genuine. Even more strange is the fact that Ishida is mixed-blood (pretty sure his mother was not a pure quincy) so it’s not clear what Yhwach’s rationalization is.

The Sternritter are quite angry at this development as they expected Yhwach’s second in command Jugram Haschwalth to be next king. However despite their arguing among themselves, I doubt they’ll actually rebel, and once Ishida (who now has the letter A) displays his powers they will probably grow to respect him. He had better be ridiculously powerful; and for once hopefully he’ll be able to give Ichigo a run for his money. Ishida has been a pretty static character throughout the bulk of the series, so maybe now it’s finally his time to shine. Of course it’s still possible Ishida is acting as a double agent even if nobody else knows, but it’ll be interesting if he turns out to be the next super villain.

June 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm
  • June 26, 2013 at 4:12 pmK

you know the last few chapters are fine and all… but whatever happened to renji?

• June 26, 2013 at 4:46 pmPsithief

He’s at the next palace and Ichigo will catch up with him, of course.

• June 26, 2013 at 5:21 pmsortedevaras

Hes off training on King Kai’s planet with Tien and Chiaotzu.

• June 27, 2013 at 4:21 pmBashira

Tien and Chiaotzu are still there? Poor them, no one wished them back to life..
        Forgotten warriors, but now surely of Kai power levels. *sheds a tear*

• June 27, 2013 at 6:22 pmMoridin

Wow never have I seen 100 likes before. Bravo good sir.

• June 26, 2013 at 4:14 pmK C M

All right guys here’s the thing we know that Naruto and Sasuke are going to fight sometime but did TK(Bleache’s Author) just followed MK’s(Naruto’s Author) lead and put Ichigo and Ishida in a position where as they are going to fight in the future just like Naruto and Sasuke. I doubt but I’m seeing that kind of pattern here.

• June 26, 2013 at 6:35 pmNUE

Well if that’s the case, then MK(Naruto’s Author) is copying AT(Dragon Ball’s Author).

• June 26, 2013 at 6:57 pmsortedevaras

Ishida hasn’t been on Ichigo’s level of power since the first arc, so suddenly they have a contrived way to make him an actual threat? Bach should have just busted out his hyperbolic time chamber, or made him Majin Ishida with a big M on his forehead, it would make about as much sense.

• June 26, 2013 at 7:04 pmNUE

What are you talking about?

• June 26, 2013 at 8:12 pmsortedevaras

The person you originally replied to stated his opinion that the plot was going in a Ishida vs Ichigo direction. I disagreed with the method used by the author. It feels silly that a relatively weak character like Ishida could be magically enhanced to the same level as Ichigo.

In DBZ the contrivance of Majin power was used to make Vegeta a credible threat to a more powerful Goku. Bach powering up Ishida is the exact same thing, however it feels cheaper because it was not built up or earned. Vegeta was a very powerful character throughout the series, a worthy rival to the protagonist, while Ishida hasn’t been.

• June 26, 2013 at 9:01 pmNUE

Okay, despite that you missed the point in our conversation. I don’t think that Kubo is going to the direction that you think he is going, but I could be wrong(but if I am wrong and that’s how it went,then that will be distasteful).

• June 26, 2013 at 10:33 pmK C M

@NUE
        I’m not accusing TK(Bleach’s Author) of copying MK(Naruto’s Author),I’m just merely stating a pattern of rivalry used between both authors, I guess my analogy was a little bit off point but what I’m trying to say is that we know why Naruto and Sasuke are going to fight and we also know why Son Goku and Vegeta always clashed a lot but if Ichigo and Ishida were made to fight or clash I don’t see any possible reason for that or maybe TK has a plan for both of them that we are yet to see sometime in the future.
        @sortedevaras
        Ishida may not be on Ichigo’s level but we don’t know for sure if TK has made Ishida even stronger He was before because as a Quincy Ishida’s powers has a potential to increase even more.

• July 3, 2013 at 1:53 amJason

I disagree that this is a cheap way to boost his powers. The implication was heavily made that Ishida is a pure-blooded quincy which gives him a high power potential. His father called him weak and is probably not nearly as powerful as Bach, implying that he was never using his potential. So that could in theory bring him to something like captain level. Even if not, we don’t know what the letters do. Obviously even the foot soldiers were near captain level, so who knows what it will do to him. It is a cheap power boost but almost every enemy in bleach has used something similar and it is not even original to anime, as all sorts of sci-fi/fantasy series use the exact same device to boost weaker characters for an emotional conflict. Which is probably more the point since Ichigo would never be able to kill Ishida. Also, you are assuming it will even come to a ‘real’ battle, since Ishida will most likely betray bach at some point.

• June 26, 2013 at 4:16 pmNadester

Double Agent Ishida Uryuu reporting for duty.
    My question is, what is going through Ishida’s head right now?

• June 26, 2013 at 6:59 pmsortedevaras

Orihime fanfiction.

• June 27, 2013 at 12:06 amDa5id

He better have had a huuuuuuge power upgrade, or else he’s going to get his ass beat really fast.

Seriously, what was Yhwach thinking?

• June 26, 2013 at 4:38 pmAnon

The way Zangetsu was actually Juha Bach, I think that Ishida is actually… Show Spoiler ▼

• June 26, 2013 at 4:38 pmchad28

He’s a double agent.
    “I doubt they’ll actually rebel” – One of the Quincies suggested poisoning Ishida, I think they’ll try something.

• June 26, 2013 at 4:45 pmPsithief

Why would Bach need a successor? Is he planning on dying?

• June 26, 2013 at 5:23 pmsortedevaras

Judging by how few other characters have died I would say its a unnecessary back up plan.

• June 26, 2013 at 4:47 pmRavenlord

“Yhwach mentions that Ishida is the sole quincy survivor in this world, which was confusing since Ryuuken is still alive; in addition, his statement seems to imply that the Sternritter and the rest of the army are somehow different or not genuine.”

Well, they are all kinda dead, on account of being in Hueco Mundo/Soul Society. Ishida is the only living quincy there, the rest are just souls. I wouldn’t read much more into that statement.

About Ryuuken, I think Kubo simply forgot about him – or just decided he got enough limelight during the flashback. :D

• June 26, 2013 at 4:57 pmPsithief

Ryuuken doesn’t count because he’s old and smart enough to hold a grudge against Bach. I’m guessing Bach is gambling that Uryuu is naive enough to be manipulated.

• June 26, 2013 at 5:04 pmProoof

I don’t think Kubo revealed that they are based in Hueco Mundo or Soul Society, though their environment certainly is somewhat reminiscent of Hueco Mundo. That said, you could be right in that they are all just souls.

• June 26, 2013 at 5:18 pmWW

I think that fact was just established many chapters back (Harribel’s capture, a crying Nel falling from the sky, and probably a few more things I’m forgetting…).

• June 26, 2013 at 5:29 pmsortedevaras

It was mentioned when Ichigo saved Harribel’s girls. . . a year ago.

• June 26, 2013 at 6:25 pmProoof

I stand corrected then.

• June 26, 2013 at 10:06 pmGradius

Considering that fake Juha remembered people from a thousand years back…

• June 26, 2013 at 5:13 pmdiaz

It’s so predictable that Ishida is using all this to grow stronger so he can eventually fight against them and actually win.

• June 26, 2013 at 7:09 pmReianz

@Proof, shouldn’t the chapter be 543 instead of 542?

• June 26, 2013 at 7:54 pmProoof

fixed it. thanks

• June 26, 2013 at 8:18 pmCutePoison

So Bach is Hitler and the ‘letter’ Sternritter are his SS right? Or is that just me?

• June 27, 2013 at 2:33 amCrook

Wow.
      “It’s German so it must be nazi-related.”
      10/10

• June 26, 2013 at 8:28 pmBoozerX

This arc is gonna be long.
    Lets go.

• June 26, 2013 at 9:18 pmYanDaMan

Didnt the Quincy Captain dude that Ichigo fought in Hueco Mundo mention how Ishida was actually uber powerful or something like that? It seems they know something about Ishida’s locked/hidden powers that not even Ishida knows. Maybe Ishida is with Juha Bach to try to unlock it then defect back.

• June 26, 2013 at 10:16 pmBobina

Prooof: “which was confusing since Ryuuken is still alive… Even more strange is the fact that Ishida is mixed-blood”

Kubo: “Whoops.”

• June 26, 2013 at 11:22 pmKentaiyoshimi

More like:

“Deal with it”

• June 27, 2013 at 12:11 amVivace

I wonder how will Ryuken react about this.

• June 27, 2013 at 12:54 amKingofConquerors

I got a feeling Juuha Bach will be killed sooner than later. Probably by Ishida (Who will try to rebel for his position after gaining the trust of his subordinates)

Then he’s gonna lead the strenritter against the shinigami led by Ichigo.

It’s obvious Kubo is trying to channel some Sasuke-Naruto rivalry here. He’ll probably have them fight over Orihime too.

• June 27, 2013 at 6:15 amomegadir

If Ishida is just acting as double agent, then I’ll be seriously dissapointed. It’s just to predictable, better if he have other motives to fight on sternriter side. Don’t forget what because Yahwach stoled power from Ishida mother died, it’s save to assume what Ishida want revenge for that, but at same time it too predictable (Ishida act as double agent – Ishida rebel agents Yahwach – Ishida kill/not Yahwach – insert what you like) Author alredy showed us what he can make plot and turn it upside-down in manner what few can predict. I hope it’s such case.

• June 27, 2013 at 7:13 amLogan

Anyone else see a resemblance in character with Grimmjow and Bazz-B?

• June 27, 2013 at 9:33 amYogo

Cool, Bleach got blogged before Naruto! :D

And wow, I’m happy As Nodt is still alive :).

• June 27, 2013 at 9:44 amYogo

And double-post, did anyone find the Quincy names interesting? Askin Nakk Le Vaar ftw!

• June 27, 2013 at 10:05 amShinkirou

why wouldst Yahwach make ichigo as his successor ? ichigo might be pure blood but he is hybrid between shinigami and Quincy. Plus he was first half Quincy blood able to communicate with younger Yahwach spirit which run through every Quincy blood (fake old man zangetsu or not) in the inner world. doesnt it make him closer to actual Yahwach ?

• June 29, 2013 at 7:37 amAquarian DragonSlayer

If Kubo has any sense in consistency he will use Ishida’s power-up to kill Mayuri and not set up an Ishida v.s Ichigo fight, cause that would be ridiculous.

Another point about Ryuken may be that Juha doesn’t know he is alive for some reason.

• June 29, 2013 at 6:40 pmLord Gonjin

You know, it would actually be hilarious if it turns out that Ishida really IS a double agent. Since Ishida is the leader of the Vandenreich he could just send the Quincys to Hell or something. Yhwach would get trolled badly.

• July 1, 2013 at 8:04 amLith

I dont know if I can agree with the statement Ishida hasnt been on the level of Ichigo since Arc one- since the Aizen fight pretty much everyone that participated has been pushing their limits. The Stern ritter were not especially powerful– thy were just stronger than the respective Shikai limited Shinigami they were paired with. If we take Ban-kai into consideration the ritter really aren’t that powerful unless they invokce Letze Stil( and now Vollständig ) of course( which is clearly @ or above ban-kai power release leves{ I believe it to be above} based on arc 1 Ishida’s fight where he was OP.

The next chapters are bound to be fun, we have too may strong players on the Shinigami side( Ichigo, Renji, Zeraki(w\ Shi-kai(maybe ban-kai{ if he doesnt get it ganked})!, Grimmjaw( I know no one forgot that he was still around, and HEAVILY alluded to in this last arc) etc( all of which are training without ban-kai ). Okay I need to get back to work. Ishida.. I really dont know what to make of his choice to destroy Soul Society. I hope TK doesnt half ass this ending.