Watashi ga Motenai no wa dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! – 02 »

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! – 01

OP Sequence

Watamote   OP1   01 Watamote   OP1   02 Watamote   OP1   03
Watamote   OP1   04 Watamote   OP1   05 Watamote   OP1   06

OP: 「私がモテないのはどう考えてもお前らが悪い!」 (No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Not Popular!) by (Konomi Suzuki and Kiba of Akiba)

Watamote   01   01 Watamote   01   02 Watamote   01   03
Watamote   01   04 Watamote   01   05 Watamote   01   06
Watamote   01   07 Watamote   01   08 Watamote   01   09
Watamote   01   10 Watamote   01   11 Watamote   01   12
Watamote   01   13 Watamote   01   14 Watamote   01   15
Watamote   01   16 Watamote   01   17 Watamote   01   18
Watamote   01   19 Watamote   01   20 Watamote   01   21
Watamote   01   22 Watamote   01   23 Watamote   01   24
Watamote   01   25 Watamote   01   26 Watamote   01   27
Watamote   01   28 Watamote   01   29 Watamote   01   30
Watamote   01   31 Watamote   01   32 Watamote   01   33
Watamote   01   34 Watamote   01   35 Watamote   01   36
Watamote   01   37 Watamote   01   38 Watamote   01   39

「モテないし、ちょっとイメチェンするわ」 (Motenaishi, Chotto Imechen suru wa)
“Since I’m Not Popular, I’ll Change My Image a Bit”

That definitely goes down as an experience…

I had some idea of what to expect from Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!, both by reputation and from having read bits and pieces of the manga (which is always displayed prominently in seemingly every bookstore manga section in Japan). But still, those don’t really prepare you for the experience of seeing it play out on screen. I’d still consider myself a new viewer in the sense that my reactions can’t be taken as indicative of what loyal manga readers think of the job Oonuma Shin did with their beloved series.

This is a strange sort of comedy to say the least. In fact (though perhaps this is not so unusual for comedies) it may very well be the saddest anime I’ve seen this year. There are obvious comedic elements to Watamote, starting with the often hilarious sight gags and the fact that it may be one of the least politically correct shows you’ll see. But the overriding gut-level reaction from me is that this is more tragic than most tragedies, because hidden underneath the absurdity is a scenario that’s eerily and uncannily close to a very sad reality for many adolescents. Even the aforementioned sight gags are at the expense of the main character, and usually highlight a moment of extreme discomfort for her (which is almost every moment, truth be told).

Watamote is very much the world as seen through the eyes of Kuroki Tomoko (Izumi Kitta). It’s a scary, claustrophobic place, in which most of the people have no faces (they’re just not important enough to Tomoko for her to notice). Tomoko is, simply put, one of the biggest losers you’ll ever see. She not only has no friends, but hasn’t had a conversation with anyone in her high school for three months. She’s addicted to otome games and because of her dexterity with virtual bishounen had convenced herself that high school would be her great blossoming, building on the six glorious times a boy spoke to her in middle school. She has to blackmail her little brother Tomoki (Nakamura Yuuichi) by threatening suicide in order to force him to converse with her for practice. In short – Tomoko may not be a hikikomori, but she may as well be for all her lack of social interaction.

Make no mistake, there are laughs here. When Tomoko experimentally tweaks her look to impress her brother, or disguises herself in a "WcDonald’s" bathroom to avoid being recognized (and pitied) by classmates, or throws up after looking at herself in a mirror for too long I laughed – the visuals are very funny. But this all hits uncomfortably close to reality. Tomoko isn’t a hikikomori, and she’s not being bullied. And what she wants is very reasonable and normal – to have friends, and to be looked at by guys, and to go out on a date, and to be cute. But her life is a complete disaster, a kind of self-contained and self-perpetuating hell – and it’s almost worse because for the most part, her classmates (and brother and teachers) aren’t overtly mean to her. They just ignore her, and she shrinks further and further inside her own neurotic and delusional shell.

I don’t know too many details about mangaka Tanigawa Nico, but I’m guessing she (I’m not even 100% sure she’s a woman) knows something about depression. I grew up with a family member who suffered from it, and the moment when Tomoko threatened to commit suicide if Tomoki didn’t converse with her for an hour a day was one of many jokes that didn’t feel like a joke, because it’s a very unpleasant and real part of living with a depressed person. Tomoki seems like a nice enough kid, guilty of nothing more than being "normal" – and popular – and it sucks for him to be caught up in his sister’s darkness when he’s clearly unequipped to deal with it. The episode is full of those sorts of authentically uncomfortable moments – sometimes I didn’t laugh, and sometimes I laughed and felt bad for laughing. There’s something in the experience of seeing Tomoko as an animated, speaking girl that makes the experience altogether more painful than the manga.

That all leads back to the question of whether Watamote works as an anime. Oonuma Shin is a bit of a hyperactive director, to the point where I often find myself annoyed (as I do sometimes with his mentor Shinbou) and the premiere here is full of his usual visual gimmickry, but because the show is effectively shot from Tomoko’s perspective it works better here than it might (so far anyway). The OP and ED (sung by Kitta) are great – visually clever and lyrically on-point. There was grumbling from some manga fans about Kitta-san’s casting but I think she’s excellent, especially in the quiet moments where Tomoko struggles to eke out a word to her teacher or a fast food cashier. Watamote is clever, dark, emotionally penetrating and often very funny – but it’s too early for me to say whether I’ll actually enjoy it. This is a dark ride, and in a sense I think it would be easier to tag along if this were played straight, rather than for laughs. But then, I’m not absolutely confident yet just how the series wants to be taken – and that’s one of many reasons I’m intensely curious to see where it goes from here.

ED Sequence

Watamote   ED1   01 Watamote   ED1   02 Watamote   ED1   03

ED: 「どう考えても私は悪くない」 (No Matter How I Look At It, It’s Not My Fault) by (Izumi Kitta)

Omake

Watamote   01   Omake 01 Watamote   01   Omake 02 Watamote   01   Omake 03
July 9, 2013 at 8:21 am
  • July 9, 2013 at 8:30 amewok40k

Kinda feeling related, my highschool life was similar, though not on same level. Spending lunch breaks in library because there was nobody to talk to. Inviting half class on birthday and nobody came. Now it is a slightly better picture, I have a few friends and some sort of semblance of social life, but still long ways off from having a girlfriend, for example.

• July 9, 2013 at 1:28 pmRakkun

inviting half of the class and NOBODY came.. that’s just… …sad :(

• July 10, 2013 at 8:39 pmJohnHayabusa

I wanna hug Tomoko so much! The poor girl needs some love!

• July 9, 2013 at 2:20 pmstarss

We’re sorry. hug

• July 9, 2013 at 4:11 pmFabio

* group hug

• July 10, 2013 at 5:47 pmSetsuna Henry

Everybody’s hug.

• July 9, 2013 at 6:21 pmvladrin

You spent lunch breaks because there was no one to talk to? or because, let’s say, you favored reading over talking to people? I think the answer is the later, so it’s better than it sounds.

Maybe you have different tastes than most of the others in your community, which is normal. Hence less topics you have to share. During high school I was one of the most social among any peers. Social enough to believing that I was achieving nothing other than talking.

From univ years I started focusing on reading profession-related topics, hence had less common things to talk about with people. I didn’t speak for too long that I developed a scare when talking to others. Now have to sell stuff, un-interest in people haven’t changed, but now I have to fake it and carry the talk.

Point is these are all different ways of living, none is better, none is worse. More importantly, never victimize yourself or make yourself vulnerable, like inviting people who couldn’t care less about you, and maybe in reality you couldn’t care less about them.

As for girlfriends, you will ultimately have one who shares you interest. If your interests are not that common in your community, it will take a bit longer since purely statistically the chance to find one will be lower for the lack of common ground with most people.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:04 pmewok40k

True enough, came close to scoring otaku girlfriend already but she moved out of the country – we still keep in touch via internet
        I think it is important to stay yourself while seeking friends, without descending into “mimetism” of popular people, but some measure of conformity to your friends is needed too. A question of balance, definitely. On one extreme was Iori from Kokoro connect, conforming to the extent of forgetting her own identity, on another is Hachiman from Oregairu.
        We all tend to find our own comfort spot somewhere in between, but it may take time – and it’s exact location might vary with the person involved.

• July 10, 2013 at 10:20 amvladrin

I see your point. Makes very much sense.

• July 9, 2013 at 7:59 pmStranger

I think many of us here have experienced similarly miserable highschool years. An adopted child of visible minority in a relatively conservative and slightly xenophobic area, I dealt with exclusion from the start. Feeding an introverted personality made worse by the harsh and cruel segregation and exclusion in the social cliques of highschool.

I think- for many of us- that’s a major player of what led us to discover anime/manga in the first place.

• July 11, 2013 at 3:31 pmGeorge

I dealt with a lot of the same things as Tomoko did as well, though not to the same level. I had social problems and ended up with a rather negative personality for a period of time. Now things are better. Though I’ve got to say, I consider myself a republican, and we’re not the horrible sorts of people that we are made out to be.

• July 11, 2013 at 3:33 pmGeorge

Honestly, I’m still quite introverted. I wouldn’t even mind so much if I ended up dying alone, sad as that sounds…

• July 10, 2013 at 11:37 amHaseo

Feels like im looking at a mirror of my old self. Except she’s a girl and i had at least 1 or 2 friends back then. Im still sort of that way but don’t really care to much now. I’ve just learned to love where im at instead of acting like im somebody else that makes me uncomfortable.

• July 11, 2013 at 3:01 pmUrman

Had a similar life myself as well.. or in fact u could say that i m still living in one similar to what being shown here… :(

here are the similarities between me and Tomoko… :(
      1- No friends till highschool/college… I finally made one at university level, thank god… :)
      2- Scared of talking to people specially outside the family…
      3- Scared of being seen by classmates alone…
      4- At times Wanting to kill myself…
      5- Spending loads of time MMOs or RPGs and on social networking sites…
      6- Heartbeat goes insane whenever there are girls nearby…
      7- Yup, guess it right Still no girlfriend… ^^

From our eyes world seems like such a cruel place to live in… :(

• July 11, 2013 at 3:15 pmTaiyo

There is the reason why I don’t particularly like reading this series.

Being alone during lunch or classmates coming to your party isn’t really your fault. Perhaps you don’t really know them but I’m sure it’s not because they hate you. And I think you don’t resent them for it.

But here it is. All the bad stuff that happens to Tomoko is pretty much 100% her own fault. She is an impulsive liar and looks down on everyone. In the words of GLaDOS “Well done, here are the test results. You are a horrible person. That’s what it says: a horrible person. We weren’t even testing for that.” In fact the last straw for me in the manga was that one chapter when

I can related completely with Tomoki about how much frustration he must have felt because I did my very very best to avoid that. Luckily I didn’t have a for a sister.

She deserves pretty much everything coming towards her.

• July 11, 2013 at 3:16 pmTaiyo

My main point which I forgot to point out is that it’s not funny, that sort of comedy. Sure the expressions and stuff are funny but once it gets to its base, its core, its not funny and shouldn’t be used as source material for a comedy.

Just my opinion.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:30 amkage

Probably the biggest surprise this season. For a comedy it played up the neurotically element uncomfortably high – but I appreciated the refreshingly scathing deliver (much like Sukitte did -except that was a straight up drama). I’ll be keeping an eye on this one.

The closest “comedy” this reminds me of is NHK ni Yokoso.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:51 amkage

*neurotic

• July 9, 2013 at 8:32 amgawrshness

I like this girl already…!

• July 9, 2013 at 9:23 amL002

As a 2D girl anyone would like her. Not to be crude, but I wouldn’t want to see her in real life.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:41 amstarss

She would be very uncomfortable to be around irl, but she’s oddly cute.

• July 9, 2013 at 10:49 amgawrshness

She’s like Sawako, except she didn’t have the fortune of someone reaching out to her so she needs to improve her image by herself.

• July 10, 2013 at 1:30 amL002

my older sister seems eerily similar to her, I honestly felt the author had looked at my sister’s lifestyle and made an anime where the anime girl version is in a state where she is 10 times more miserable than her.

IF Tomoko had actually lived in real life, her level of being miserable would jump a good 50 times.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:35 amvirox

That opening was unexpected.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:35 amL002

I haven’t read a chapter of the manga yet, but now after seeing the anime I feel that our heroine is going to reach a record of being the most miserable main character in the history of the anime world, making little progress whatsoever.

Imagine, a anime you watch out of pity, the power of anime.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:36 amCatsrofl

I pretty much agree with this… visual wtf’s, some laughs, feel bad about laughing or just all around uncomfortable. I wouldn’t know where they will take this show, gonna be interesting to see for sure. Oh well, atleast I liked the OP and ED with no uncomfortable feels what so ever :D

• July 9, 2013 at 8:45 amName (required)

the “darkest” anime this season.
    the story may pierce the heart of many lonely otaku (or social outcast)

• July 10, 2013 at 5:22 pmL002

Not to mention there it seems to be now very popular in Randomc, despite being just a snap shot.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:51 amKanon

Did the virtual bishounen really…From a backrub…What? The level of discomfort just went in every direction from beginning to end with this episode but I can’t say for a second that I didn’t enjoy it and am looking forward to more.

• July 9, 2013 at 2:32 pmJani

That part was actually pretty hilarious to me, that didn’t make me feel uncomfortable at all, the rest of the show however…ehhh.
      I couldn’t really get the feel of the show, like was that there for me to laugh or not? The parts I did laugh at, I immediately felt guilty for laughing after really reflecting on the situation. But when she ran into her brother and his friends my eyes instantly started to water, that was just extremely sad and depressing.

• July 9, 2013 at 4:49 pmkage

• July 9, 2013 at 8:56 amZannafar

Maybe not the best but clearly the most controversal anime of the season.
    Reactions to this seem to range from “Anime of the Century” to “Worst anime ever” with everything in between.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:56 amFabio

Anime of the year.

• July 9, 2013 at 8:57 ambelatkuro

I know what I was getting into seeing as this has some reputation for it before the anime but watching it really is a different experience. There’s a mix of pity and hilarity in seeing Tomoko’s situation. There are some parts that are funny and there are some where you just feel sorry for her. I dunno if this is intentional or not but it’s working somewhat.
    Animation wise, it seems like Silver Link isn’t skimping much on it just because they’re also doing Illya this season. The OP and ED are pretty good and there are the quirks that Oonuma is quite known for which are done well. Voice acting is also done well for Kitta Izumi. You can’t go wrong too with Nakamura Yuuichi as the brother.
    I’ll be sticking to this one as it interests me a lot.

Also, go to bed Enzo. It’s already late at night there.

• July 9, 2013 at 12:57 pmguardian enzo

Heh, it was pretty late when i finished but somehow, for this series it seems appropriate.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:02 amrh75

Which is worse? To be bullied and become withdrawn or to not have your existence acknowledged and become like Tomoko? I’ve never been bullied but have been made to feel like I didn’t exist.

There will be times that you can’t help but laugh at Tomoko’s actions as she is her own worst enemy. There will be times where you can’t help but cry and want to hug the poor girl when she goes outside her comfort zone to make friend only to fail.

Like with the manga, I will keep watching because it pulls you in.

• July 9, 2013 at 10:25 amLibelula

Well Ive always been “normal” – not bullied nor ignored;) But Ive been a “bystander” of bullying (yes one of those ass*** that dont do anything). But its been almost 10 years now, so Im sure Id react differently now.
      Anyways what I can say is those who were ignored in my schooltime mostly became normal later on, those who were bullied were damaged psychically. So Im completely sure that bullying is far worse!!!

• July 9, 2013 at 11:12 amChimp

How about a nasty combination of both? Which what I went through back in middle and high school. My bullies seemed to acknowledge my existence and gave me hell, while the “nice” kids walked pass like I was a ghost. And I would actually try to interact with them, but nothing’s worse than getting the cold shoulder from virtually everyone. So yeah, from those experiences I had stunted social growth and if any of you know, when you get into the adult world where you forced to be social, it can be VERY STRESSFUL. Individuals that are less qualified to handle tasks rising through the ranks just because you cant make small talk with the boss and co-workers. Lacking presence can be really detrimental.

• July 9, 2013 at 12:42 pmmoridin84

Actually that think that’s regular bully, rather than inbetween.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:08 amduck

Brilliant show totally relatable very high quality and realistic theme. Must watch for people sick of this season moe crap storm.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:08 amMeldoy

Most badass opening I’ve heard in a long time.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:09 amPatsuan

Wow, it’s been a while since I saw a proper metal song for an OP in anime, I’m pleasantly surprised! It’s also very fitting thematically, what with Tomokos usual delusions and quirkiness.

I’ve known the manga for a while now, so this was one of my anticipated shows this season. Imho, the transition to animation was made well and even though I saw most of the jokes coming (those I remembered at least),they were still funny. The little unusual art/styling worked well for me as well.

I doubt it should be called best of the season but it should be pretty good :)

• July 9, 2013 at 9:18 amseablue

lol shin oonuma and his openings.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:20 amCybersteel

There is no way my little sister can be a shut-in!

Yuuichi Nakamura is voicing the brother doesn’t help either.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:42 amKai

Time for some “advice” from Tomoki to his sister then!

• July 9, 2013 at 2:38 pmUDoh

Except that, Tomoki is younger than her.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:38 amCraigs

Tomoko should make friends with Hikigaya “Batman” Hachiman

• July 9, 2013 at 10:24 amHidan

The world will not change, but you can change yourself. So how do u change ? You become the god of a new world – Hikigaya Hachiman .
      Tomoki should do what Hachiman says . Then again I think she’s extremely conscious of society , unlike Dark Knight Hachiman . Hope she’ll change as the show progresses!

• July 9, 2013 at 9:40 amAngryKoala

This is basically a female version of me, except even more awkward.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:40 amstarss

One of the most anticipated adaptations of the past year, simply because of how shocking and gut-punching the manga is! The anime so far has a more “grunge”, macabre feel than I was expecting, and I literally had no idea how this would work in a 22-minute long one-cour! But I am also interested to see how well this does.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:47 amaaaaaaaaaa

I might just be weird but i actually found this first episode to be more sad than funny. I actually teared up a bit. That was something i definitely wasn’t expecting…

• July 9, 2013 at 9:55 amCybersteel

If you find it funny then you’re probably have plenty of friends and is usually never alone. If you find it sad, it means you too are a loner.

Nico Nico Nii

• July 9, 2013 at 12:59 pmguardian enzo

Or you actually have empathy.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:56 amCybersteel

• July 9, 2013 at 10:05 amStilts

I haven’t watched the episode yet and I honestly don’t know if I will, because the manga didn’t resonate with me and “uncomfortable” humor isn’t my thing. That said, just wanted to say that it sounds like Enzo captured the essence of this show superbly. You rock, Enzocchi! ^^

• July 9, 2013 at 1:00 pmguardian enzo

Thanks, Stiltsie-tama.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:07 amName (required)

uh..
    ohh..
    i’m coming soon
    best VN dialog ever

• July 10, 2013 at 11:16 pmTomoko

cihh..

• July 9, 2013 at 12:12 pmZelos

Oh my gosh those faces. Just basing this episode on that alone, this series is going to be the Hataraku Maou-Sama of this season.

• July 9, 2013 at 2:57 pmEspada

IM COMING SOON!!!!

• July 9, 2013 at 3:08 pmShinji

Just felt overly bad for Tomoko. I just didn’t laugh as much as I thought I would. Then again, I’m not sure I should have. The series is meant as a (edging on dark-er)comedy but most of the time I’ve felt the need to either hug or help the poor girl. At the moment, I think this is the surprise of this anime season. I’m following this hoping Tomoko will get a bit of sunshine in her life by the end of the season.

• July 9, 2013 at 3:21 pmMgMaster

I wasn’t thinking of trying this out at all but your review made me REALLY curious,lol.This might be one of those – love it or hate it – shows.

• July 9, 2013 at 3:38 pmsealouse

This is all so strange. I’m an introvert so being ignored and invisible is quite ideal for me and I never understand why so many people seem to require company.

• July 9, 2013 at 4:45 pmGinobi666

Man…. watching this show hurts so much. Pretty much reminds me of how I was during my highschool days, but atleast mine was a bit bearable. The main difference between me and her is that i was ignored out of fear than anything else(I gave a well known bully a shattered nose amongst many other injuries).

• July 9, 2013 at 4:53 pmKien

God, I loved that Death Note esque web search scene

• July 9, 2013 at 6:01 pmstarss

The humor comes from how no one could be as twisted as her. But sadly, a lot of her thoughts and behaviors stem from real life. In high school (and sometimes, even now), I also thought others students who went out with their friends every week were idiots never to keep studying, when little did i know that they did that to grow their healthy lifestyle after graduating.

• July 9, 2013 at 6:05 pmSailor Enlil

Why do I get the feeling there’s gonna be some similarity, or at least references, between this and “Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru”?

• July 9, 2013 at 6:12 pmjames

This show is pretty on point with a lot of stuff. I’ve certainly been there (not this bad of course), so I definitely feel for her. It’s still funny though. Maybe if you’ve been emotionally scarred by social awkwardness, this show might rub you the wrong way. But if you’ve moved on and accepted that aspect of your life, I think this show is quite enjoyable.

• July 9, 2013 at 6:32 pmKayjay

I got a Welcome to NHK feel from this.

Which in my book is a good thing as I tend to like my comedies darker the better.

• July 9, 2013 at 7:08 pmB.I.T.W

tomoko is female who ready for high school give having lots experience due to playing lots high school dating game but reality kick in nobody notice her in any way.

cause she see those high school students are just blah to her so after go look in the mirror in her style she puke due looking like the Walking Dead so after i-net search for ways to be cute.

tomoko tried show her “cute” side to her brother but it was a brain bleach right now & then go ask her brother for advice & ideas so she get notice in school.

so next day she slowly talk to other peoples yet seem working well even trying to normal high school doing til arrive at wcdonald til still high school students go do makeover look got bit mention.

til her brother appear go like seriously that look cause her brother’s classmate called her stink cue crash & burn til brother arrive there always next time.

• July 9, 2013 at 10:21 pmion52

Great, I already felt like a crappy person from reading the manga, now I can feel crappier viewing it.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:08 pmPasserby

If we accept the classical schools of drama, there is in comedy, tragedy and in tragedy, comedy. Thus the symbolism of the masks. Sometimes life is so dark that you have to shoot straight for absurdity. And you must laugh, or be crushed.

While a lot of comedies are just gag, even they sometimes reveal sides of humanity that we just aren’t very comfortable with confronting. If we stare too hard at the joke perhaps we’ll realise that we are horrible for laughing. There is a tentative line between being funny because its true and being funny only because it can’t.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:10 pmPasserby

I screwed up an apostrophe! I really am horrible.

• July 10, 2013 at 1:42 amMichael

Your apostrophe error is unforgivable! Turn in your Otaku badge and your internet posting license. To gain these back you must go 10 years without posting on the WOW forums about how great Chuck Norris is in ALL CAPS.

Hopefully you don’t do that anyway. :)

I liked the episode, and your comment about the dichotomy of tragedy/comedy is perfect. I, like most of us, feel a sense connection to her and maybe some squeamishness at things that hit a little to close to home.

I do not remember who, but someone stated that the idea that ‘most’ people are normal and only a few, a minority, are weird, strange, abnormal, is actually a fallacy. Most people have problems, idiosyncrasies and neuroses up the wazoo, we just adjust, conceal and attempt to dance like we are not a lame ant.

• July 10, 2013 at 4:00 amPasserby

Thank you! Liked the comment? Buy the book! And the DVD! Watch the play by plays, with special behind-the-scenes commentary from our production staff! Check our website!

…In all seriousness (but do check out the site): ‘normal’ is just society’s acceptable average. At some point we all, as a people, decided on what should be the ‘reasonable person’, even though probably not a single one of us is. It’s an interesting part of our group mentality, to ascribe qualities to the group incompatible with the individuals. And that’s perhaps why we all have a bit of a rebellious phase within us all.

• July 10, 2013 at 12:36 amKurama

I sort of want to go out with Tomoko, I can relate to her plight.

• July 10, 2013 at 2:35 amTomer

Nice to see a rare experiment with different styles of comedy.

Looking forward to next episode :)

• July 10, 2013 at 8:57 amhoshi

It is interesting this anime is making me remember my miserable years in elementary school and early years in high school I’m not sure if this was intended. I read the manga and honestly this should never have been advertised as a “comedy” per say because so far even in the first episode I’m left with feelings of sadness and remembering my own childhood……

• July 10, 2013 at 9:09 amVaans

• July 10, 2013 at 9:41 amSmiledie

Those guys at the end were bastards! Kuroki, I think you’re beautiful!With that out of the way, this episode was good, but very uncomfortable to watch at points and reminded me of my own high school experience (being to shy to talk, having a more popular sibling, and wondering why I didn’t have many friends). Some of the comedy worked, but to me it worked better showing the harsh reality of what probably many people’s high school experience is like. In a ways this is like an animated version of Dollhouse by Todd Solondz…

• July 10, 2013 at 10:11 amzeroyuki92

Tomoko, duck face is bad. Real bad. Ponytail with glasses is cute but no, where the f**k you read that duck face is cute???

Ehem… Anyway, this is really dark. While I arguably didn’t have any social problem in JHS or HS, university life is pretty difficult for me (well at least I still have plenty of good buddies). I even relate to some of Tomoko’s situations albeit in a much lesser extent… So, well, I think I’ll continue to watch this.

I just hope that the ending would be pretty positive and she could made some progress somewhat. Again, she + ponytail + glasses is pretty cute <3

• July 10, 2013 at 11:42 amrooserloom

this girl should try joining a club. that usually works out in anime

• July 10, 2013 at 11:54 amMagoiichi

I finally got around to watching this and something came to mind real quick after I was done watching. The manga seemed less darker, but because of the VAs and the colors, the darkness is amplified. I don’t remember where I left off in the manga, but I hope everything gets adapted.

I really like the OP and ED, but where the hell you get all those smartphones!?!

• July 10, 2013 at 5:26 pmweatherleaf

Omg this was kind of difficult to watch for me =_= I actually broke into a sweat. I was in the exact same situation as her from middle school to high school and I can say it was the worst time I ever had in my life.

• July 10, 2013 at 6:21 pmSaki

Sadly I didn’t like the first episode as much as I would’ve had. It was really painful to watch and the “funny” scenes made me uncomfortable. To me, it felt like the author just wanted Tomoko to suffer and suffer. There’s no shed of light for her at all, unlike similar shows Kimi ni Todoke or Oregairu, which I really liked.

I would’ve wanted to drop this now but I’ll probably give it the 3-episode test and see if I’ll see some shed of hope for Tomoko.

• July 10, 2013 at 10:17 pmsharebeastsoslow

Man, watching watamote makes me feel more awkward than watching dxd.

Anyway why isn’t anyone commenting on the “mike howling” and “speaker sounds”? Too awkward or something?

• July 11, 2013 at 10:23 pmTassadar

Why would you feel awkward from watching DxD? Don’t you like oppai? I mean, PLOT. Plot was the word I was going for! :P

• July 10, 2013 at 11:27 pmdeVacto

she must learn what definition cute are

• July 11, 2013 at 12:27 amMi-Chan

I found the back-touching game pretty disturbing -_-’ the limits people would take create weird games -.-’

I don’t know if I like the show, I can’t relate to her at all. I saw peopel put her and Hachiman in one scale, but Hachiman is different, he actually did ‘choose’ his lifestyle, of course after pretty much rejection by society, but he wasn’t some disgustingly freakish person. He was cool, composed and above all, very self-aware. This girl lives on her own fantasies. Another comparison made to Sawako, but even Sawako is very different, Sawako was just misunderstood, but she was pure and gentle, and a very well-brought-up child, I see no relation, besides the isolation part.

Besides that, I don’t know if I really like this anime – yet. I think for me, the episode mostly started when she was at McDonald’s, that was very funny, and very sad the next moment. Only the ending of the episode pulled me to watching the next episode. Maybe because I can’t relate to her, or maybe because my highschool life was effortless and I lacked the common popularity contest the girls had, I was more self-absorbed into my own realm of video games, final fantasy, book reading, animes, drawing etc. I just chose to live a certain way, and really disliked the girls that tried to be popular.

Thanks for your review, M.

• July 11, 2013 at 1:48 amTarage

The problem with Tomoko is she brings a lot of this on herself. There’s being awkward, and then there’s being down right antisocial, having an incredibly inflated ego, and looking down on everyone else.

She has issues, and while it’s both cute and sad at the start of the manga, as it drags on it becomes unreadable/unwatchable because of what a bitch she is. I have no pity for her.

• July 11, 2013 at 5:16 amAge-rat

The “having an incredibly inflated ego, and looking down on everyone else” is only superficially true. Basically she is just sugar-coating her own miserable situation to avoid getting more depressed. You can often see that she does not has an inflated ego, more contrary, she actually has a low opinion of herself and often sinks in self-deriding and self-loathing remarks/thoughts.

• July 11, 2013 at 4:58 amZhinvu

I wanted to see how Izumi Kitta would portray Tomoko, and I think she nailed it. It feels so different from her role as Cordelia Glauca in Milky Holmes, especially in this episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSqW3zNVoEM (she’s the blonde crazy one)

• July 11, 2013 at 7:00 pmRob

I like her taste in manga. Why hasn’t there been a Parasyte anime, anyway?

• July 12, 2013 at 10:06 amKeltian

I’m not sure if it’s because I myself deal with depression or that I’ve had experience dealing with a suicidal family member but the scene where she threatened suicide as blackmail pissed me off. I do not think it was ok for them to just put that in the anime and if it was in the source material, I question the mangaka’s intention. I’m guessing this series is supposed to be a dark comedy but it almost looks like the two parts are working against one another rather than balancing out. I’ll continue to watch episode 2 to see where it goes but if it still continues like this, I’ll just drop it.

• July 12, 2013 at 9:38 pmGaze of Providence

I laugh at her because we share the same pain. Jesus, the days we have seen.

• July 13, 2013 at 5:56 amThe Shizard

Have to admit this had me laughing a few times. Do hope the conversations go better next time, they made me want to punch my screen.

• July 16, 2013 at 1:14 amTassadar

I just watched episode 2 and I have to say that someone must regularly blog this. It is shaping up to be an amazing series in my opinion, with a very interesting MC and all the social situations lots of us might be able to relate with. Silver Link seems to be doing a great effort both from an adaption point as well as a standalone anime itself.
    I understand writers’s schedule might be full already; it’s a shame that this was not picked however…