Blood Lad – 03 »« Blood Lad – 01

Blood Lad   02   19 Blood Lad   02   20 Blood Lad   02   21
Blood Lad   02   22 Blood Lad   02   23 Blood Lad   02   24
Blood Lad   02   25 Blood Lad   02   26 Blood Lad   02   27
Blood Lad   02   28 Blood Lad   02   29 Blood Lad   02   30
Blood Lad   02   31 Blood Lad   02   32 Blood Lad   02   33
Blood Lad   02   34 Blood Lad   02   35 Blood Lad   02   36

「ただいまは言わない」 (Tadaima wa Iwanai)
“Back Home, But Not Really”

Why yes, I would love a pair of demon panties from Uniqlo Oniqlo. Come to me ~

I love the references in this show to pop culture these days. I usually have a hard time picking up on references to other shows (because I haven’t seen everything) or even to Japanese culture (which I probably wouldn’t understand), but not in Blood Lad. It makes the show that much more enjoyable to watch when you understand the spoofs they’re trying to make, although it definitely doesn’t deter you from watching if you don’t. This definitely widens the audience that the anime appeals to and I can start to see why so many people like it (one of the reasons anyway).

Jumping back into the human world, it looks like nothing has changed in Fuyumi’s room except that it fails to live up to Staz’s expectations of what a student is like. Not everyone can have figurines, manga and posters everywhere (and plus, that stuff is expensive)! Vampire spit as a form of control? That’s also new… I’ve never seen that played out before, although it seems like vampires in fiction all have strange supernatural powers over humans. It must be all that charm. Not to mention that he can walk out in daylight (that was explained in the last episode), but being so pale, doesn’t he burn easily? I must be thinking of True Blood‘s version of sizzling vampires. I love how they take the image of what everything thinks of a vampire and basically just trashed it in the garbage. Staz is like a regular human – except with fangs, a spit-spray and the power to control other demons with his eyes.

I’ve seen a lot of blood-sucking scenes in the past 5 (give or take) years of my life but I’d have to say that this one was a little lackluster. They’re supposed to be sensual and/or romantic, maybe even a little awkward but this one just didn’t cut it for me. I was half expecting it to end up as a spoof too, but all we saw was a knocked out Fuyumi. Poor girl. Staz on the other hand, is quite a good guy. All things considering, he doesn’t give off the typical bad-ass vampire vibes that I would expect out of a male protagonist so I’m glad that he doesn’t fit that stereotype. It didn’t come off as a surprise to me when he didn’t feel any attachments to all the teenage girls running around him. One would expect that he would be in heaven having so many humans surround him, but it just goes to show that he’s not a typical vampire and Fuyumi isn’t just another “human”. I hope it’s not because of some pre-destined reason that Staz is only attracted to Fuyumi. As romantic as that is, I don’t think it really suits the tone of this show.

Hydra Bell (Sarah Emi Bridcut) is another interesting character that makes her debut. She’s seemingly the owner of the portal that transports demons and humans to each other’s worlds, but she has no power to move it now. She reveals that it’s because a stronger demon has set it up and she’s on the hunt to find out whom so that she can marry him… which is very unexpected. I can’t say that she fits into any stereotypical character role because I’m not even sure what role she’s supposed to play… although the ED seems to reflect her as a counterpart to Fuyumi. She has no real motives other than being a teleporter who likes to seek “treasures” and albeit, annoying, she holds a lot of information that I’m sure is valuable to Staz. I hope we get to see more of Bell later on, but hopefully not as a permanent member to the duo because her personality pretty much overshadows everyone else’s. It’s hard to gauge whether or not she’s a “good” or “bad” character since she’s still a wildcard in my mind and does everything to her own accord.

So far, Blood Lad has proved to be quite enjoyable and entertaining. For the most part, everything is fairly predictable but in a refreshing way that isn’t too cliché or boring. It’s not surprising to me that there’s a werewolf somewhere in the equation, and if I had to venture a guess, he has to be the third wheel right? I never heard of a vampire and werewolf fighting over a ghost though so I’m sure that’ll bring about some new drama.

Blood Lad   02   Preview 01 Blood Lad   02   Preview 02 Blood Lad   02   Preview 03
July 15, 2013 at 11:58 am
  • July 15, 2013 at 12:22 pmAtticas

Ohsaka Ryota (the VA) where ever he goes. Uniqlo is not far behind.

• July 15, 2013 at 12:36 pmweatherleaf

Maybe it’s just me but I feel like the animation quality for episode 2 went down compared to episode 1.

• July 15, 2013 at 12:44 pmPringlesXD

That happens often with most anime, actually.

• July 15, 2013 at 3:07 pmEdios

not to the point they use looping gifts, lol

• July 15, 2013 at 3:08 pmEdios

.gif’s*

• July 15, 2013 at 2:00 pmSDFGS

a lot of producers actually do that to reel people into the series but then take animation budget cuts along the way and then blow out the rest of their budget on the last 2 eps…really only some series don’t do that, which is sad.

• July 16, 2013 at 1:47 pmGermanguy

Episode 1, are Super Candy Animation Budget. To Catch the Fans. After that you will get 2-3 Episodes to recover from the sugar shock :)

• July 15, 2013 at 1:09 pmCybersteel

Awesome pantsu battle!!!

• July 15, 2013 at 2:10 pmAnanas

As new characters get introduced, Fuyumi gets increasingly boring. The MILF can’t come soon enough.

• July 15, 2013 at 2:33 pmagr0n

I liked Bell’s introduction “Boing, boing” :D

• July 15, 2013 at 2:52 pmlol

It’s a jiggling episode for sure, both girls have big assets

• July 16, 2013 at 12:41 amMgMaster

I wonder how long until a beach or hot spring episode where they start comparing their breast size.

• July 16, 2013 at 9:27 pmHaseo

Im still mesmerized by fuyumi’s giggling breasts in opening sequence.

• July 15, 2013 at 4:14 pmsonicsenryaku

im really starting to like Sarah Emi Birdcut as a VA; I know she just started but she has been doing some pretty solid work so far; she can really own her characters

• July 22, 2013 at 7:57 amSherrisLok

I don’t like the character she voices, but I really appreciate her acting as Hydra Bell. She can go from bitchy to sugary in an instant.

• July 15, 2013 at 5:36 pmSalpsan

In regards to vampires and sunlight, Dracula could travel in sunlight. He wad just severely weakened in it. So I completely support Statz being able to endure sunlight. It’s going back to roots.

• July 15, 2013 at 5:53 pmIrenesharda

What you were talking about with vampire tropes and them throwing it away here, is not quite true. They just show them in another light. Like the sun thing has already been done before in vamp lore. A vampire’s stare is known to be hypnotizing and very controlling, and as for his saliva thing? That was simply a little more in depth explanation as to why a vampire can control whomever he bites. This show explains that it’s because, like an insect or a snake, a vampire secrets a substance through their teeth that affect their prey and causes them to be able to manipulate their minds. Staz just managed to package the stuff.

• July 15, 2013 at 7:57 pmCherrie

I don’t mean to throw out tropes and stereotypes to say that they’re right or wrong. I just used them for a comparison basis for how vampires are normally portrayed in the media today. Obviously there’s a lot of exceptions to cases and a lot of authors have their own way of explaining different supernatural phenomena. I agree with you though, the saliva thing isn’t that unusual in the grand scheme of things and it’s just the author’s way of depicting control.

• July 22, 2013 at 8:00 amSherrisLok

The saliva control thing was done in Shiki for example.

• July 15, 2013 at 6:28 pmchamelean75

Vampire + ghost + werewolf = BBC’s Being Human. :D It’s about a vampire, werewolf and ghost who rent a place together. :D

• July 15, 2013 at 6:31 pmB.I.T.W.

staz & fuyumi well full check on black curtain enter the human world which lead to fuyumi’s room where other side of black portal is stuck in.

then fuyumi bit worry give now a ghost wonder to explain yet staz spray bottle everyone to keep it all quiet so go places in human world lead to fuyumi’s school more spray to everyone.

fuyumi bit worry yet maybe she should explain how she is a ghost yet staz better not cause it cause lots of probs yet fuyumi going like vanish til staz give blood keep her going cause after seeing other human still see fuyumi as the type.

so went back home & oh meet bell the treasure hunter/dimension traveler/persno who do black curtain then make staz doing a project to have fight ogre shop owner who guarded undies & cue staz beat owner.

cause bell search for someone strong who can beat person who stole bell’s curtain & place it on fuyumi’s room.

oh turned out bell also know a book bring human back to life but sold it wesr demon area lead by wolf person.

• July 15, 2013 at 9:06 pmberrish17

LOL I Love this otaku vampire <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

• July 15, 2013 at 10:23 pmJean

At least Staz doesn’t sparkle?

• July 16, 2013 at 6:24 amCherrie

LOL! True. The sparkles hurt my eyes o_o

• July 16, 2013 at 12:35 amMgMaster

Dem legendary undies,lol.

• July 16, 2013 at 1:38 amP Ko

I’m really starting to love this series.
    I’m going to be very very sad and there’s going to be a hole left once it ends. I’m still trying to fill the hole Beelzebub left.

• July 16, 2013 at 8:15 pmSaki

It’s been briefly mentioned that the whereabouts of Fuyumi’s mother is currently unknown, and I’ll bet my 7 bucks that the mother is not a human.

Sarah Emi Bridcut also got my attention for parodying seiyuu “modes” – it’s not as powerful as say Chiwa Saito’s but her range is good. Also surprised she voiced Asuka – my favorite Mondaiji girl!

• July 16, 2013 at 8:56 pmCherrie

That’s a great point, I never thought of it that way =) Fuyumi’s family was so briefly mentioned but probably because there’s more to it than meets the eye.

• July 19, 2013 at 1:07 amHayate

speaking about Fuyumi, is it just me or her hair looks awfully similar to Bell.
        maybe its just the design mistake, and im just looking too much into it