Rozen Maiden – 05 »« Rozen Maiden – 03

Rozen Maiden   04   22 Rozen Maiden   04   23 Rozen Maiden   04   24
Rozen Maiden   04   25 Rozen Maiden   04   26 Rozen Maiden   04   27
Rozen Maiden   04   28 Rozen Maiden   04   29 Rozen Maiden   04   30
Rozen Maiden   04   31 Rozen Maiden   04   32 Rozen Maiden   04   33
Rozen Maiden   04   34 Rozen Maiden   04   35 Rozen Maiden   04   36

「TALE 4」

This week’s episode was surprisingly more toned down than I initially anticipated. Being locked in the N-Field, I thought Shinku and Jun would have to battle their way out, but Jun just wakes up instead. The only thing that came out of his “dream” was a completed Shinku (eyes, hair and shoes included) and as I stated last episode, he would have to wind her up. Shinku’s entrance was a lot less dramatic than the first series I watched – she was always kind of bossy and lady-like but also very outspoken. This time around, I find that Shinku has a lost a lot of her liveliness and life that made her so attractive to me in the prior seasons. I’m not sure if that’s intention or not, but she lacks a lot of the qualities that made her so cute and loveable. Instead, we see her walking around a lot. She’s curious and she still loves her tea, but she’s also not in a hurry to jump back into the Alice game. It’s weird because I’ve always imagined Shinku to be a strong character (which makes her a good candidate to become Alice), but this episode almost made me pity her. She carried around this sad look in her eyes all the time and that’s likely because she knows what’s happening in the other dimension and she’s powerless to help. She makes references to the past and reiterates what’s happening in the N-Field, but I’m not sure if that’s because she remembers, or if Holly is just telling her everything that’s happened.

Speaking of Holly and the N-Field – there’s a lot of talk about time and alternative dimensions in this episode. The only thing that pops into my mind is Steins;Gate and I’m constantly reminded of it because of the texts. Rozen Maiden may have more than 2 timelines, but for the time being, I’m glad that it’s only stuck to two – the world which Rozen Maiden dolls exist and one which they don’t. Who would’ve thought that at the ripe age of 13, Jun would’ve already decided the fate of the world? He’s changed history and created a universe for himself which doesn’t include the Rozen Maiden dolls, yet somehow they find a way to him. I would have to give my props to the Would-Jun (which is what I’m going to call him now) because of his ability to even fathom the different timelines to send Holly after his parallel self. The Unwound-Jun needs to give himself a little more credit. Just as I predicted though, Holly was the key to reviving Shinku because she had her Rosa Mystica all along.

Shinku gives a brief summary of what happened between episode 1 and 2… Hinaichigo and Souseiseki have already been eliminated, whereas Suiseiseki and Suigintou are stuck in the N-Field along with Shinku’s real self. Kirakishou has basically trapped her competition in the N-Field with her, except for Jun and Kanaria who are probably somewhere still in Wound-Jun’s timeline. Unwound-Jun’s Shinku doll also can’t maintain her form for more than a week and as she’s talking to Holly at the end, she’s aware that she has to go back into the N-Field. Unwound-Jun created this “artificial” body for her for the purpose of saving her sisters – perhaps that’s why Shinku feels so down and unlively? Shinku’s probably facing a lot of innter turmoil and her lack of a “contract” with the Unwound-Jun makes it harder for her to use any form of magic. We also see her sister watching over her at the end… the cliffhangers don’t surprise me anymore, but the sudden change of atmosphere in the episodes make my skin crawl. If there’s one thing for sure, I have to applaud the show for being able to evoke all these different emotions out of me in the span of a couple of minutes. It’s why I started watching Rozen Maiden in the first place.

My last comment would be around the growing relationship between Saitou and the Unwound-Jun. I never thought there’d be any form of romance in this series (my other show – Blood Lad was a little more predictable) but I’m actually glad that there’s still that slice-of-life component to the show. The original Rozen Maiden series has a great deal of slice-of-life episodes (and even pure fillers) that made it less serious and more around how the dolls helped Jun grow. This “remake” definitely has less of that, but the interactions between Saitou and Jun show a more realistic and mature approach to how a relationship should develop – even Shinku’s taken notice. It’s a nice touch, although I’m expecting more to come out of Saitou’s character. Next week’s episode features the introduction of another loved doll – Suigintou. I’m more interested to see if she is also a “recreation” or if she’s escaped the N-Field. We also finally introduced to her medium – Megu (and I will say no more to avoid spoilers). The show is headed in a good direction right now although I’m surprised to see that they’d focus a whole episode on Suigintou. Not that she isn’t an important character, but given the limited amount of episodes and the rest of the story to be told, I thought it’d be more centered on Jun and Shinku. We’ll have to wait and see though, the previews can be so deceiving.

Full-length images: To make up for the lack of Shinku last week =)

Rozen Maiden   04   Preview 01 Rozen Maiden   04   Preview 02 Rozen Maiden   04   Preview 03
July 26, 2013 at 9:49 am
  • July 26, 2013 at 10:17 amGhostalker

Finally! Suigintou next week XD

If only this is a 2-core series…

• July 26, 2013 at 10:17 amKurisu Vi Britannia

DESU DESU!

• July 26, 2013 at 10:32 amgawrshness

I think they made the ‘big twist’ way too early. But next EPISODE! Suigintou’s deredere side! I am going to love it!

• July 26, 2013 at 10:42 am†Croos†

Ah~ Cherrie we cross paths
    Yoroshiku~ ^_^

• July 26, 2013 at 10:46 amIslidox

Shinku should do some more slapping. Desu.

• July 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm†Croos†

• July 26, 2013 at 12:46 pmMasterDragonKnight

As creepy as Kirakishou is portrayed, for some reason I still think she is really cute.

Pictures like these help too.

• July 26, 2013 at 3:42 pmCherrie

Omg that makes her look so adorable! =3 even though she’s tearing it apart… lol

• July 27, 2013 at 11:10 pmWhee

In fact that’s one of the things I find myself questioning while watching this (also back when I read it too).
        Kirakishou’s pretty just like any other dolls and somehow shes portrayed as being so dark/dangerous :v
        iirc the only part that got me thinking “this is the antagonist!” was the hinaichigo part which the anime happened to skip… lol

• July 26, 2013 at 12:38 pmMasterDragonKnight

Hmm, so if someone makes a real Rozen Maiden in our world, then this review would not exist and we would never know about Shinku and the others. A single doll has the effect of shifting the world lines.

Except, of course, if someone has the power of the Reading Steiner.

El Psy Congroo

• July 26, 2013 at 10:38 pmc2710

Rie Tanaka’s BACK!

And to think right now I’m watching Gundam Seed HD

• July 27, 2013 at 3:59 amZen

These dolls are just adorable. Apparently the Rozen Maidens are supposed to be exquisite antiques and it made me wonder about their real world analogues, whether there were indeed craftsmen/women of bisque dolls in antiquity whose skills truly measured up to those of the fictional old man Rozen, i.e. whether the quality of their work was able to match or even exceed that of present-day artists without any of the benefits conferred by modern materials and manufacturing techniques.

And my observations seem to indicate that for the most part antique doll artisans struggled to match the quality of modern specimens. In your average sample (Of an antique bisque doll) there seems to be a present a certain uncanniness to its demeanor, one which only the most skilled of artisans (With their primitive tools) were able to shed- and many were adorned in attire far more modest than worn by the dolls in the show. By and large only the most expensive dolls I found online were able to match the canniness exhibited by samples like these (modern specimens) and the exquisiteness of the fictional Rozen Maidens’ dress- the cheapest dolls I could find that appeared to at least marginally fulfill these criteria were ones such as this $28,500 one and this $31,950 one for sale on Ruby Lane.

So perhaps there is modicum of truth to the legend considering that dolls by real-world masters such as the Frenchman Albert Marque are said to command an average premium of ~$200,000 (One assumes that there is an increase in quality comparable to the exponential price inflation). Examples of his work include specimens like this doll which seems to be worth about $150,000 and this other one that was apparently sold for $175,000.

But anyways, thought I’d just chime in on where my random curiosity took me, since it seemed kind of interesting (lol)…XP

• July 27, 2013 at 7:08 amAdinda Tiara

She’s Meg-chan? :/

• July 28, 2013 at 4:08 pmCherrie

I believe so since it looks like she’s going to be Suigintou’s medium.

• July 27, 2013 at 7:18 amEspada

Shinku your so hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

• July 27, 2013 at 10:30 amTheMoondoggie

It’s more like “the world Jun choose to” and “the world Jun choose not to” be involved with the dolls.

Don’t worry: it’s just two world from here on.

• July 27, 2013 at 3:03 pminfinite

I never thought I would be waiting week to week to watch RM. I was stupid to think this was a show just about “plastic dolls”.

• July 27, 2013 at 11:11 pmWhee

Is it just me or is Sawashiro’s voice for Shinku a bit different from what it used to be :/

• July 28, 2013 at 8:22 amName (required)

beauty + creepy = Kirakishou

• July 28, 2013 at 11:57 pmNeefer

If Jun wears contacts… why doesn’t he ever take them off or wear glasses before/after sleeping?

• July 29, 2013 at 9:07 amCherrie