Free! – 07 »« Free! – 04

Free   05   22 Free   05   23 Free   05   24
Free   05   25 Free   05   26 Free   05   27
Free   05   28 Free   05   29 Free   05   30
Free   05   31 Free   05   32 Free   05   33
Free   05   34 Free   05   35 Free   05   36
Free   05   37 Free   05   38 Free   05   39

「試練のオープンウォーター!」 (Shiren no Oopun Woaata)
“Trial in Open Water!”

In anime there are certain characters that leave an impression on you. Be it their personality or some strange quirk that only they have — once they’ve left that imprint on you it’s hard for anything to change it. And for me, at least this week, that character was Rei.

Let’s get one thing straight — I’ve been a fan of Rei’s character since his introduction. His quirky personality combined with his passion for always trying to understand the concepts behind things really just tickled my fancy. But when you factor in his super tsundere personality with his drive to keep up with his senpai, you have the makings of a truly lovable character. From the moment the training camp started, you could tell that Rei was having trouble keeping up with the others. But in spite of all of that, he still attempted to follow the same training regimen as everyone else. And even though his performance really highlighted just how behind he is, it really says something about his character when you watch him beat himself up for underestimating the difficulty of swimming. Which is probably why I loved how he swallowed his pride and went out on his own to make up for his inexperience. Not only did he accept that just understanding the theory behind something may not be good enough when compared to practice but isn’t it cute watching a kouhai try to make his senpai notice him?

Besides that though, everything else seemed like build up for whatever is in store for us in the coming weeks. Besides the obvious rivalry between Rin and Haru, I’m really hoping that Ama-sensei get’s an episode devoted to her. Not only am I really interested in finding out just what kind of OL she was while working in Tokyo but wouldn’t it be nice for her to show off some of those swimsuits she worked on?

Free   06   01 Free   06   02 Free   06   03
Free   06   04 Free   06   05 Free   06   06
Free   06   07 Free   06   08 Free   06   09
Free   06   10 Free   06   11 Free   06   12
Free   06   13 Free   06   14 Free   06   15
Free   06   16 Free   06   17 Free   06   18
Free   06   19 Free   06   20 Free   06   21
Free   06   22 Free   06   23 Free   06   24
Free   06   25 Free   06   26 Free   06   27
Free   06   28 Free   06   29 Free   06   30
Free   06   31 Free   06   32 Free   06   33
Free   06   34 Free   06   35 Free   06   36

「衝撃のノーブリージング!」 (Shougeki no Nooburiizingu!)
“Shocking No Breathing!”

After the first few minutes, it’s almost like you forget that Rei nearly drowned! Because as dramatic as the first few minutes were, especially when you throw in how dazed Mako became as he relived some of the worst memories of his childhood, I’m sure there was one scene that managed to grab your attention. Now, before all the Haru x Mako comments starting flying in, I just want to say that I really enjoyed for the most part how Kyoani played out the whole situation. Not only is Haru a hundred times cooler when he’s super focused but I’m sure that if any of us were thrown into the same situation, we wouldn’t hesitate to do the same.

That said, I wasn’t a huge fan of how I felt afterwards. Something about the entire thing felt a little forced and I was a little disappointed how Rei was thrust to the side to provide room for Mako and Haru to grow as characters. Add in how awkwardly timed Mako’s confession to Haru about how he just wants to swim with him felt and the whole thing felt like it was being shoved down our throats. I mean, after such a traumatic event it would make sense that the pair would grow closer naturally!

My guess though is that Kyoani was saving those feelings for Mako’s big reveal behind why he isn’t comfortable with the ocean. Now, I’m not one to question why certain things effect people the way they do but a short three minute flashback isn’t going to do much in terms of building sympathy inside of me. And during that whole scene, there was a small thought that kept bugging me — why did seeing Rei nearly drown trigger Mako’s sudden panic attack? Correct me if I’m wrong but Mako never once said he saw how the old fisherman died or rather he said that he died because of the raging sea sinking his boat. Sounds a bit fishy to me…

Don’t get me wrong though, the episode was still super fun to watch. Between the creepy rest house and ridiculous stories about sexy waterfalls there was a lot to balance out all the seriousness during the beginning of the episode. Plus, after a crazy event like this week’s you have to wonder just how insane things could get in the future. Judging from the preview though, it looks like we’re jumping straight to the competition! Which means its finally time for Rin and Haru to duke it out in the pool!

P.S. Sorry for the late post everyone. I’ve been swamped at work and get home feeling super exhausted. Once the semester gets started next week though, things should be a lot more stable and I’ll get these posts out on time just like usual! If you have any complaints, please forward them to Stilts who will promptly send you some virtual whiskey to make everything better.

Free   06   Preview 01 Free   06   Preview 02 Free   06   Preview 03
August 17, 2013 at 1:12 am
  • August 17, 2013 at 1:22 amStilts

Wait a minute takkun, since when am I the one who has to deal with all your–eh, screw it, send em over. I can always use another reason to drink. Other than not being able to tease Rei-chan or comfort Makoto <3 <3 <3

P.S. That image of the stars reflecting off the water pooled at their feet…beautiful. Just a beautiful moment.

• August 17, 2013 at 4:46 amzztop

I agree. The stars reflection scene was really nice.

• August 17, 2013 at 6:28 amMasterDragonKnight

Stilts-oniichan has to properly take care of his imoutos, right? ^^

• August 17, 2013 at 11:11 amStilts

But of course!

• August 17, 2013 at 1:26 amDrift

“Now, before all the Haru x Mako comments starting flying in”

How can it not!?

This week was awesome. Not only did we nearly got to see a mouth-to-mouth we even got to see Rei-chan undy and i thank you with that screencap!

• August 17, 2013 at 1:29 ammianghuei

Ok, so the reason Makoto was scared is because the old fisherman died only 3 km out to the sea and he mentioned that that is the distance they swim almost everyday. If something like this can happen to the fisherman, it can definitely happen to them (as in him and his friends too) and that is what scares him.

Get some rest Takaii!! Great job BTW!

• August 17, 2013 at 2:20 amPerlaNemesis

I was expecting different flashback, though.
    Spoilers for High Speed! (prequel novel)

• August 17, 2013 at 6:34 amq

Oh? Oh? Was Makoto lying then? Or maybe just skipping a few things… It’d be brilliant if he were lying though :D

• August 17, 2013 at 7:54 pmchioneicedyrken

I didn’t read the novel, but I was expecting that kind of past too. Plus, the story that Makoto told didn’t involve Rin, but in episode 5, he seemed like he knew something about Makoto’s fear. And when Makoto told the story, Haru told Makoto to stop saying any further; I guess that would have been about Haru’s then?

• August 22, 2013 at 2:40 pmAshen-phoenix

After hearing the story I took Rin’s comment to mean Haruka might have told him (Rin) since they were all such close friends. Nagisa might’ve been seen as too naive/young-minded even though they’re the same age, so they didn’t tell him. *shrugs* Just my guess.

In any case, really enjoyed this episode; the heart, the terror, the embarrassing stories, and the friendships that strengthened as a result were each a joy in their own way.

• August 17, 2013 at 4:24 amtsukioniisan

Well, at least I get to see Gou on her swimsuit even for a bare second.

• August 17, 2013 at 10:23 pmgrt

oh come on, it’s a freaking one piece. she can do better than that.

• August 17, 2013 at 4:33 amzztop

Uwaaaaaa~ Tak-kun, you came back!!!!!! \(;O;\) (rushes to bearhug Tak-kun)

It is true there is no buildup that makes us, the audience, emotionally invested in the old man. However, I personally enjoyed it because of its believability. It’s able to give us some info to Makoto’s backstory without having to resort to ridiculously overdramatic plot twists as other anime (or certain J/K/C-dramas) are wont to do.

Also, pineapple + mackerel combo…( ̄□ ̄ ” )

• August 17, 2013 at 4:45 amzztop

‘(The waterfall) doesn’t count as a love story, Haru.’
    It does if you’re aquasexual like Haruka!

Also, Nagisa’s interpretation of ‘March of the Penguins’ strongly resembles something they’d pull on the Gaki no Tsukai No Laughing specials. Anyone familiar with the show?

Also, some info on upcoming Free! DVD release and bonus shorts:
    Makoto’s attempts to stop Haruka from stripping near bodies of water should make for good laughs. >_<

• August 17, 2013 at 6:29 amCTT

I flipped through High Speed!, which is like a prequel novel for this series. It might answer some of your questions about Mako’s panic attack

• August 17, 2013 at 7:23 amzztop

A link to translated summaries of the High Speed! novel:

• August 17, 2013 at 8:03 amstarss

• August 17, 2013 at 8:34 amAnonymous

That’s funny, I could’ve sworn Free was NOT on the list of Current Series in the Current Series tab on the right hand side of the home page yesterday. Anyway, glad you’re back Takaii.

That said, surely you RC writers know that RC.com has an Announcement tab, which I’m of the impression is supposed to be for moments like these when you know you’ll get bogged down by RL stuff. So please USE IT next time! So we readers know what to expect and not left hanging wondering whether you’ve dropped it.

A little communication goes a long way.

• August 17, 2013 at 9:06 amstarss

Apparently, Free! went off the list because shows that aren’t updated for like 2 weeks drop off. It’s automatic.

• August 17, 2013 at 9:19 amAnonymous

Thanks for that clarification. Was a bit concerned when one day I suddenly saw Free had vanished from the list.

• August 17, 2013 at 9:49 amTakaii

Only the big man upstairs (Divine) can post announcements. :|

• August 17, 2013 at 3:45 pmKurama

You should band together and overthrow him. Reclaim the land from his tyranny!

• August 17, 2013 at 8:41 amechykr

Seeing that map made by the old swimming club members, for a moment I thought these guys were really into World of Warcraft, with a bunch of islands on a yellow parchment with a Maelstrom in the middle of the sea to boot.

Episode 5 had plenty of Gou-chan moments, with some hinting at Ama-chan-sensei’s secret past.

As a regular swimmer (or used to be before I grew lazy), I instantly knew it was quite foolish of Rei to go swimming in the sea alone at night. Thankfully, Kyo-Ani was not the type to kill people off. (Kyo-Ani even put in a disclaimer in that scene just in case anyone was anal enough to decide to sue them. )

In a genderbent world, Rei would easily have been the diligent megane tsundere.

• August 17, 2013 at 8:45 amechykr

A bit off-topic, though it’s Kyo-Ani related. Please bear with me.

Here is the trailer for Kyo-Ani’s new series announced during Comiket for this fall.

You could almost feel as if ChuniKoi was merely a dress rehearsal for what would be some epic fight scenes. (OTOH, I totally feel sorry for FMP fans. As a Haruhi fan, I’m still waiting for season 3. )

• August 17, 2013 at 9:39 amOri

Yay this has not been dropped! I thought it was cause I saw tha it was not on the list. This series is still very entertaining.

• August 17, 2013 at 10:38 am†Croos†

I wonder who was the person who spread that FREE post was dropped?
    Takaii didn’t even said a thing that he drop it in the summer sched.

• August 17, 2013 at 11:47 amstarss

People spread the word because it WAS dropped off the list! It’s back on now.

• August 17, 2013 at 12:23 pmAnonymous

People thought it was dropped because they did not understand how the Current Series tab works and assumed as such upon seeing it disappear from the list.

• August 17, 2013 at 11:30 amKurama

At that exact moment, the earth trembled from the combined force of millions of fangirls simultaneously orgasming :D

• August 17, 2013 at 2:29 pmleatherhead333

It’s funny how this turned from a life threatening situation to a sleepover xD.

• August 17, 2013 at 4:20 pmrandom viewer

I want to know more about the secret of Iwatobi-chan version…maybe there will be a back story.
    And it’s funny how they always put Rei on the spot (Rei as in refriger-”rei”-tor – lol).
    P.S. This could be good…http://randomc.net/image/Free/Free%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2019.jpg

• August 17, 2013 at 4:33 pmTehJonel

i literally shouted “gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay” when haru was about to give mouth-to-mouth to mako.

• September 16, 2013 at 7:13 pmNagisaxRei

I don’t really see life saving actions as “gay”…

• August 17, 2013 at 6:03 pmSeishun

Kyaaaaaa!!! Makoto is so dreamy, I want to have his babies so badly – and yes, I’m straight :P

• August 17, 2013 at 6:22 pmstarss

The swim club boys make men go bi.

• August 17, 2013 at 6:28 pmSeishun

I can’t help myself. Mako chan’s too beautiful XD
        I want to grow up to be a kind onii chan like Makoto :3

• August 17, 2013 at 8:20 pmberrish17

Omg the episode at the rest house was soo cute <3
    Rei being all scared XD

Sexy waterfall….HARUKAAAAAAA ur damn adorable.

• August 22, 2013 at 2:42 pmAshen-phoenix

Can’t wait for the next episode. Free! is turning out to be way better than I thought it’d be. I knew it’d be gorgeous – Kyoani + fanservicey boys, natch – but I didn’t expect the kind of heart a lot of the eps. so far have shown or hinted at.