Naruto 652 – Tug of War »« Naruto 650 – Choppin’ Down That Tree

Naruto 651 – Filling the Void

Naruto Manga   651   01

All of a sudden, the polymerization is complete, and we got Sasuke and Naruto rolling through Obito with the force of nine giant Rasengans in front of him. Obito brings out his epic DNA shaped sword… and well, let’s just say it looks like he seems to come out with the short end of the stick.

With that said, it suddenly looks like the end of this fight just got a lot closer, and I’m admittedly feeling a bit eh about the choice of developments here. Because the fact is—whether you’ve liked it or not—the whole friendship element and references to past chapters have been going on for a fair amount of chapters now. As such, the sudden development in the last few chapters makes it kind of like “errrr, okay” and I’m not exactly sure whether or not I should be cheering or lamenting. As awesome as the polymerization, the nine Rasengans, and the visions of what Obito could’ve been if he continued on his path were… it just didn’t end up jibing at the end for one reason or another, and it’s just somewhat disappointing that all of Obito’s talk ends just like that—especially after the revelation of what seems to be his final weapon.

On the other hand though, it’s possible that this isn’t the end at all—rather, it could be far from over—and really, I don’t know if that’d be worse or better at this point. And ultimately, that’s just this chapter in a nutshell. It’s just a chapter (and potential resolution of the conflict in general) that could’ve been immensely awesome, but for one reason or another just falls short on the delivery and in terms of giving the feelings a resolution should. Maybe it’s partially due to my headache, maybe it’s just something that’ll grow on me later, or maybe it’s something that’ll just look better animated. Who knows. But yeah, I guess I’ll see how the next chapter develops first before saying anything else…

October 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm
  • October 16, 2013 at 3:52 pmlucjan

I’ve never seen a bigger ass pull in the history of ass pulling.

• October 16, 2013 at 6:57 pmKarmafan

I loved the whole Ninja World War arc up to the point where Sasuke shows up and is instantly forgiven (or back burnered for now) and everything they do (like this polymerization) just rings false to me.

• October 17, 2013 at 3:35 amAnanas

That’s because you dropped Fairy Tail too soon.

• October 17, 2013 at 11:11 amSouthSky

In the final attack, Naruto was like “friends, i know you’ve been useless until now, and your still useless, so come, grab a rasengan and shoot it towards Obito’s shield” it’s something xD

• October 17, 2013 at 12:43 pmKazuya

LMAO…VERY TRUE

• October 17, 2013 at 3:57 pmLaughingMan

Agreed. This is worse than the ending of InuYasha where they finally kill Naraku after over 500 chapters only to discover that the Shikon Jewel was the real bad guy all along.

• October 17, 2013 at 4:54 pmjn99y4

come on man…spoiler alert? at least warn us beforehand.

• October 21, 2013 at 2:36 pmLaughingMan

@jn99y4: The fuck are you talking about? InuYasha ended more than 5 years ago. How does that qualify as a spoiler?

• October 16, 2013 at 4:14 pmUngas123

For a second, I thought I missed a chapter.

• October 16, 2013 at 4:19 pmDisto

Tenten pls

• October 16, 2013 at 4:20 pmLastTywinFan

A DNA sword? Seriously?

• October 16, 2013 at 4:29 pmDisto

The Longinus sword

• October 16, 2013 at 8:38 pmG

Obito called it “a sword of the soul” right? That line gave me zanpakutou vibes

• October 17, 2013 at 3:36 amAnanas

Evangelion is very popular after all.

• October 16, 2013 at 4:22 pmDragoZERO

LOL at Sakura being on the double page while she stands there and watches.

• October 16, 2013 at 4:29 pmKulticose

The sword Obito pulled out reminded me of the Spear of Longinus from Evangelion.

• October 16, 2013 at 4:33 pmswordhack4

I seriously hope it’s nearing its end. I have an immense love for this series, so when it DOES go, yes, I’ll feel empty, but now I’m just exhausted. Long running anime will do this to me, and this is the the fifth or so long running series that I’ve followed from start to finish.

Names like DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho and others come to mind in my list as well. Seriously though, I’m tired, I want this series to end. I like it more when a good series has an end somewhere in sight instead of prolonging it. It loses its taste after a time.

For this chapter, it took a few reads to understand what’s going on, but I do get it now….for the most part. The sword was straight from the ass though.

• October 16, 2013 at 7:00 pmKarmafan

You muxt be talking about Bleach that some arcs that made little to no sense and were clearly just prolonging the series (until this current arc). Most of Naruto has been focused on bringing everything we have seen and experienced to this World Wide Ninja War to the end of the series and doing so from Naruto episode 1.

• October 17, 2013 at 3:58 amAnanas

Remember when Eyeshield 21 decided to push things further than the Christmas Bowl?

• October 16, 2013 at 4:58 pmHochmeister

“You cannot defeat my divine blade of the sage of the six paths!”

seconds later: CRRRRUNCH!

Other than that I liked the chapter. Kyuubizilla was pretty darn epic, and the rookies actually got to do something. I also really liked Obito’s giant sword and shield style, but wish we could have seen a bit more of it in action. The alternate vision of Obito was really well done, deep down he knows he’s on the wrong path and that’s why his sword broke. I’m very hesitant to call it over though, he may remain in denial for a bit longer, plus Madara and Orochimaru are still out there…

• October 16, 2013 at 5:21 pmMgMaster

LOL!It’s always ransengan isn’t it?I remember a few years ago when watching the Naruto movies,I believe every single one of them ended with Naruto finishing off the main antagonist with a rasengan.Now he’s making them for his friends?:D I can’t,for the life of me,take this seriously.

• October 16, 2013 at 8:06 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, using the same things over and over again, while merely making them bigger just REALLY highlights how Naruto is such a one-trick pony, and how utterly ridiculous the fights have gotten. It especially looks worse with main opponents constantly LOSING to them all due to various hax/convenient deus ex machina/”moments of stupidity”.

It just makes it hard to truly accept the wins as a result.

• October 17, 2013 at 6:05 amTerrorhunt

Kinda like the Kamehameha, no?

• October 20, 2013 at 7:57 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

While the Kamehameha Wave is definitely a key attack in Goku’s arsenal, at least he’s shown to be able to use other things besides it.

And how many times, in DBZ anyway, has a main opponent actually lost the entire fight to the Kamehameha Wave? Believe it or not, only ONE, and that was Cell at the hands of Gohan in the final bout, not Goku.

Otherwise, it was blocked by Raditz, Vegeta survived it, Frieza survived it (before seemingly killing Goku when slipping by), Cell survived it TWICE (once by Goku point-blank, and once by Gohan before he threw up 18), wasn’t used against Buu, IIRC. Heck, Kid Buu was the only enemy in the main DBZ series that the Genki Dama/Spirit Bomb even worked on; Vegeta surviving the weakened one and Frieza surviving the gigantic one. It’s only in the non-canon OVA movies where the Genki Dama has been more successful.

• October 16, 2013 at 5:47 pmKiseki

Seems like the end for Obito,but there’s still Madara and I’m sure he got a trick or 2 left

• October 17, 2013 at 1:22 amK C M

I never saw Obito as one of the villains of this Story ever since it was revealed that Obito was actually Tobi, then I came to the realization that Naruto or Kakashi can make Him see the error of His ways and make Him give up His nefarious plans, if anything Obito was just another victim of losing a loved one just like Nagato and Gaara, the real villains of this Series is none other than Madara Uchiha and Orochimaru as for Kabuto I don’t know if He can be saved or not but I doubt and Sasuke is still a blank canvas that can be dyed any way so that’s it.

• October 16, 2013 at 5:53 pmAnnon

I hate it when fights are won by power ups among power ups. “oh my 45th power up is going to beat your 44th power up”. Makes the fights anticlimactic and kills creativity, just like bleach.

• October 17, 2013 at 3:54 amAnanas

What’s ridiculous is that this manga is getting more immature with every chapter. Remember the Zabuza arc? Or the Gaara one?

• October 18, 2013 at 9:58 amMisk

Oh good old times

• October 16, 2013 at 5:53 pmTheOrangeOne

The friendship thing was the most forced I’ve ever seen. He could have done the tail rasens by himself and literally nothing would have changed. What the hell does having some ppl you know from the same chunin test help make the rasens powerful enough to destroy his shield that both Naruto and Sasuke couldn’t even bite a crack in the thinnest kind?

• October 16, 2013 at 6:04 pmMrGMartins

It’s symbolic, really. The idea is that no matter how powerful the enemy is, as long as you have your friends and companions at your side, as long as you’re not alone, you can overcome hardships and reach greater heights. Naruto has always been about friendship and bonds so it’s just kinda natural that this would, at least in some level, be what would cause Naruto to prevail over Obito. Specially when Sasuke is with him, since that makes the message about friendship surpassing everything even stronger. In the end, that’s what it all comes to: the message.
      That said, I do have issues with how it was handled, but, alas, it can’t be helped, can it?

• October 16, 2013 at 8:17 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, A LOT has been forced to me for most of Shippuuden, IMO. It really started as early as near the end of the Kakuzu/Hidan Arc, things being more forced out and all.

The biggest reasons why this part feels forced is…

1.) How many times throughout Shippuuden has Naruto suddenly been all about fighting opponents alone? He literally went AGAINST those beliefs several times. (While Sasuke, several times, even if he didn’t choose it, ended up being the opposite too, with him only surviving most of his battles due to the intervention of others like Hebi/Taka or Obito.)

2.) Suddenly trying to bring the others into the mix as if they “matter” now when, throughout a majority of Shippuuden, they’ve been little more than background characters while Naruto and Sasuke, solo, stole the limelights. The only ones to get any real page-time was Team 10 (Shikamaru, Ino, Chouji) during the Kakuzu/Hidan Arc (I don’t really count the anime original fillers). Other than that, we’ve only had very brief panels involving them, but otherwise, they contributed next to NOTHING to the story as a whole.

However, something else that feels REALLY out-the-ass is Kakashi suddenly now being able to see through Obito’s eye by being “connected”…how could this NOT have happened before?

• October 17, 2013 at 6:10 amHochmeister

While it is derptastic, Obito saw through Kakashi’s eye when he killed Rin. It seems to only happen at times of great emotional stress.

• October 16, 2013 at 5:55 pmSin1505

So now Sasuke and Naruto get to make babies?

• October 17, 2013 at 3:50 amAnanas

Believe it.

• October 16, 2013 at 6:13 pmlivevoid

Naruto: “Yay we finally won!!!! I sure hope Madara doesn’t come and fuck it all up.”

• October 16, 2013 at 6:20 pmgawrshness

Well if you think this development was meh let’s remember Madara is still there, maybe Kishimoto is saving the true epic finale for him?

• October 17, 2013 at 1:31 amK C M

Madara? aren’t you forgetting about Orochimaru I still don’t trust that snake and if you watch Him closely He has been acting like a snake in the grass, I can’t be the only one that thinks He’s up to something and whatever it is it can’t be Good.

• October 16, 2013 at 7:24 pmichigoat

and then Madara be like, ‘Just as planned’.

• October 16, 2013 at 8:17 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Oh god, I can see it…Obito’s going to go all Nagato on us, as in BS “turning a complete 180 out of nowhere despite dedicating a HUGE chunk of his life towards his misguided goals all because he suddenly “believes in/understands” Naruto (especially after that huge flash in his mind), and largely due to being the SAME “Naruto gone wrong” foil that we’ve kept seeing for 95% of all main antagonists throughout the whole series.

• October 17, 2013 at 1:41 amK C M

Well ever since Tobi turned out to be Obito(which I still think it’s nuts, but nevermind) I won’t be surprised if Obito becomes reformed like Nagato. That’s why I preferred it if Tobi turned out to be someone else besides Obito so we wouldn’t have to see another Naruto effect of making villains repent.

• October 16, 2013 at 8:33 pmIan

I’ve been reading/hearing more than one online review asking if they’ve just read a chapter of Fairy Tail right after reading this.

Thoughts?

• October 17, 2013 at 3:56 amAnanas

At least Naruto didn’t eat some random garbage to win.

• October 18, 2013 at 10:00 amMisk

I feel Naruto has gotten to point that Fairy Tail is the one being insulted, not the other way around.

• October 16, 2013 at 8:39 pmLK

It went on long enough, it’s time to put an end.

• October 17, 2013 at 3:42 amDisto

It feels exactly like Bleach’s Arc fake Karakura to me , it both feels dragged and rushed …
      It seems really hard to make a good big scaled battle in a shounen manga isn’t it

• October 17, 2013 at 3:52 amAnanas

I’d be relieved if this was truly the end. But I know better.

• October 17, 2013 at 6:04 amzordon

soo, the kyuubi became a megazord….and it requiered 11 teenagers with attitude

• October 17, 2013 at 8:31 amGermanguy

Looks like the Time for Mandara is about to come

• October 17, 2013 at 8:36 amion52

Obito’s the most uninteresting villain I’ve seen in a long time. He’s filled with so much gloom that he’s bland. It’s like looking at Ulquiorra without his great dialogue, character and other likable traits.

• October 17, 2013 at 9:12 amMgMaster

I should read more shounen manga,this is the only one I read on a weekly-basis after I stopped watching the anime a while back.No,I’m not a big fan of them but the discussions are the most entertaining part :P

• October 17, 2013 at 3:55 pmLaughingMan

If you’re looking for a better ongoing Shonen manga series, I recommend JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure or One-Punch Man.

• October 17, 2013 at 12:57 pmrtiii

part 1 will always remain good, some of part 2 but after the kage summit thing went to shit. All naruto needs to start doing is flying and have a son and grandson to steal the spotlight from.

• October 17, 2013 at 3:52 pmLaughingMan

It’s like Kishimoto knows that there’s nothing he can do to make this series good anymore so he’s purposely trying to write the worst manga ever. Just when you think Naruto can’t get any worse, Kishimoto somehow outdoes himself and makes each chapter worse than the last. This isn’t just a trainwreck that you can’t look away from. It’s a fucking train falling down a bottomless abyss as you’re strapped into a straight-jacket with your eyes stapled open forced to look at this train falling and falling and falling and falling and falling and falling and falling…

• October 17, 2013 at 9:16 pmmarketing automotive

Precious facts. Lucky me personally I stumbled upon your website by chance, with this particular shocked the reason that coincidence didn’t took place before! I personally book marked it.

• October 18, 2013 at 2:02 amZero Hour 17

I see the same people here week in week out whining and complaining about how bad it’s gotten. Why are you here? Why are you wasting your time on something you don’t like? I hate One Piece, but you don’t see me reading it every week and going on the one piece posts complaining about how much I hate the thing I voluntarily gave my time to.

• October 18, 2013 at 10:07 amYanDaMan

If Obito finally falls, I expect Madara to pull out his trump card next episode.

• October 18, 2013 at 3:33 pmK C M

Are we still going to see Naruto and Sasuke fight to the death.

• October 19, 2013 at 3:50 amNana

Well I think it’s about to get more interesting since we have been given the hint that naruto will reveal a new form.
    Remember Nagato revealed his new form when his parents died, which tells me that naruto is about to lose someone
    Precious to him to reveal this new form. I suspect it might be octopus Bee.remeber he needs the eight tails to become
    The jinkiriki of the ten tails.

• October 19, 2013 at 11:30 amrandom viewer

I guess having more Naruto clones would defeat the purpose of the friendship-rasengan jutsu.