Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren – 06 »« Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren – 04

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren – 05

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   01 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   02 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   03
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   04 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   05 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   06
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   07 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   08 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   09
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   10 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   11 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   12
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   13 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   14 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   15
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   16 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   17 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   18
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   19 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   20 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   21
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   22 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   23 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   24
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   25 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   26 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   27
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   28 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   29 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   30
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   31 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   32 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   33
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   34 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   35 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   36
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   37 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   38 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   39
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   40 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   41 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   42
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   43 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   44 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren   05   45

「幻想の…昼寝迷宮(シエスタラビリンス)」 (Gensou no… Hirune Nuikyou (Siesuta Rabirinsu))
“The Illusive… Siesta Labyrinth”

Since the start of the second season, I’ve felt bad for Kumin and Isshiki. It felt like they were relegated into the obscure space of bad jokes and running gags! But in typical Kyoani fashion they gave us an amazing episode that focused on our favorite napping senpai.

Yes, napping competitions are real.

The moment someone mentioned an official napping competition held in Spain called a “Siesta Championship”, I was really to call bullshit. But lo and behold, a quick google search leads to pages from both Discovery and the BBC that documented the event. While the judging criteria had a slightly different ring to it in English — more specifically the “Napping Posture” part was actually stated as “Most original napping position”, I’m still in awe that there was a real competition with a real prize of 1,000 Euros for someone who could essentially out sleep his competition.

Kumin-senpai, when did you become so cool?

In a show that has “chuunibyou” in its title, being the normal person usually doesn’t work in your favor. With everyone vanishing reality with awesome CG filled fight scenes and couples like Rikka and Yuuta or Dekomori and Nibutani stealing any of the spotlight that’s left, there’s been very little room for Kumin to do much besides nap.

Don’t get me wrong though, I know that she has the potential to be one of those sleeper characters who do something amazing when you least expect it. Which is precisely why I was shocked (in a good way) when Kumin snatched the opportunity to blow us away in a fashion that only she could do. Unhindered by a past filled with embarrassing memories and drawing upon the passion for the friendships of those around her, I felt shivers go up my back as I watched her obliterate the one person who was standing in between her and her precious Far Eastern Magic Nap Society of Summer.

Other Little Thoughts

I thought it was brilliant how Kumin and the others used the one thing they had going for them to beat an expertly trained team of nappers — their chuunibyou skills. Not only is the idea of shared dreams theoretically possible but what better place is there for someone to unleash their chuunibyou then in a dream? As cliché as it may have been, I just loved how what happened in the battle affected everyone in real life. I’m not sure what it was, but watching the effects of the dream world materialize in the real one just felt so right.

After bringing back a character that I thought was long gone, I have to applaud Kyoani for doing the impossible. And while I’d love to see Isshiki get some love, I don’t see it happening anytime soon. If anything, I’m really hoping we get to see more of Sophia / Shichimiya soon. Not only does she seem to like randomly appearing but that extra dynamic she brings to the table (*cough* deredere Rikka *cough*) is something I would love to see more of.

February 6, 2014 at 4:35 pm
  • February 6, 2014 at 4:43 pmMasterDragonKnight

My goodness, Shichimiya is absolutely adorable!

Nose kiss all around.

• February 6, 2014 at 4:48 pmstarss

- _____ -

Iiiiiiiiiii hhhhhhhATE you, Crunchyroll…….

• February 6, 2014 at 4:49 pmSK

I think Sophia needs to add “ninja” to her chuunibyou persona, popping up outta nowhere to incite Rikka’s jealousy.

• February 6, 2014 at 4:54 pmPancakes

Not as good as last week, but the scene of all of them practicing napping in the club room was hilarious, especially Dekomori (again) getting caught by Morisummer worrying Rikka might be doing the naughty. That and Rikka getting nailed with the elastic and pulling out Yuuta’s speech as though she found the Holy Grail.

Also calling it now, Rikka and Shichimiya are going to be sharing more girl-girl moments in the future. Eskimo kissing? Pft, that’s just foreplay. They have Yuuta’s Black Dragon yet to tame.

• February 6, 2014 at 5:04 pmkwantum0

Momotaro Dentetsu!!

I caught that reference. Best console board game ever.

• February 6, 2014 at 5:19 pmselpheed

The power of Kumin-sempai!!!

• February 6, 2014 at 5:29 pmswordhack4

“NIII HAHAHAHAHAAAAA” -Shichimiya (Sophia) I just had to do that real quick.

I swear It’s not the same without Isshiki’s fawning for Kumin. He was Yamcha’d times 10 in this season lol. Great episode regardless. It looks like they decided to focus more on the comedy this season. Still too early to say for sure, but that’s how it seems for now.

• February 6, 2014 at 5:39 pmWanderer

…I see what you did there. :P

• February 6, 2014 at 5:58 pmHireyuki

I’m a bit disappointed about Rikka’s character development though. She’s been a bit of a spoiled brat recently. I guess that’s where Shichimiya comes in. Get it together Rikka!

• February 6, 2014 at 6:11 pmXSharkNinja

Did they just reference the Holy Grail Wars from fate/stay night and fate/zero?

• February 6, 2014 at 8:44 pminanis

i missed it.. where was it?

• February 7, 2014 at 2:24 amSK

Very first scene of the episode, Rikka mentions the “Sixth Great War of Magic for the Holy Classroom”, which seems like a reference to the Holy Grail Wars.

• February 6, 2014 at 6:47 pmGiorno Giovanna

Angel Kumin, Flight Attendant Nibutani, Alice in Wonderland Rabbit Nibutani.
    So many delicious wonderful outfits.

Jealous Rikka, Serious Kumin, Teasing Satone. I want more of these.

Mai Nakahara’s appearance in Chu2 was completely unexpected, but as usual she’s the strongest character with the most impact. (Nagisa in Clannad, Rena in Higurashi, Teru in Saki, Nanami in Katanagatari.)

Wasn’t Nibutani’s goal to shut down the club to begin with?
    She seems really hung up on being able to see Dekomori day after day, despite every single one of her complaints. Even Kumin is confused.

• February 6, 2014 at 6:52 pmGiorno Giovanna

• February 6, 2014 at 8:14 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Alice in Wonderland Rabbit Nibutani was the best, lol.

• February 6, 2014 at 8:13 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

I just love how Satone just appears in the group. No show of her infiltrating or anything previously. Just there. XD

And poor Ishiki. Forever alone.

• February 6, 2014 at 8:30 pmAndmeuths

Dekomori should have been the one to defend the club – it’s precisely her gross stupidity that placed the society in a position where they have no defenders on the Council after all.

• February 6, 2014 at 9:08 pmonion warrior

Kumin is awfully irresistible~ soo kawaiii~ just sooo hngggggggg >< now im having trouble choosing her over Shinka XDDD need more screen time for her and Isshiki ^^

• February 6, 2014 at 9:09 pmGinobi47

All students have been doing the Siesta Competition since time immemorial. The biggest criteria has always been the most creative way to sleep undetected. Getting caught is instant disqualification.

• February 10, 2014 at 6:59 amHanabira.Kage

Hakuya from Mikakunin wins hands down. Everyone else just thinks he’s deep in thought or something.

• February 6, 2014 at 9:55 pmstarss

Okay.

Hands down my all time FAVORITE EPISODE YET.

Kumin was severely overdue for an episode driven by her, and this served in spades! They had a Napping Society since Season 1 and only NOW do we get an episode that actually concerns napping?!? A battle with another school in the form of A NAP-OFF. …. ….WHY do no American comedies ever take advantage of this hilarious story!?? It’s so ironic yet makes TOTALY sense with the right characters, and Kumin coaching everyone to be the best sleepers ever is Comedy Gold. Bravo. Bravo all around! I was laughing SO hard! Kumin, you shall be in my dreams tonight.

• February 6, 2014 at 10:55 pmewok40k

Sleeping your way to victory!
    Kumin-senpai <3
    The dream about the vanishment-style fight was golden in terms of animation as usual.

• February 6, 2014 at 11:14 pmJames

Filler episode material. I know Kumin senpai should get her own spotlight, but this didn’t really do her justice :\

I almost fell asleep watching this episode…hah!

• February 7, 2014 at 2:26 amechykr

The Far Eastern Magical Nap Society of Summer have gotten so used to seeing Nibutani cosplaying in all sorts of costumes for her Theatre Club that they no longer bothered to comment on it anymore.

The FEMNSS is also surprisingly united in their collective ignorance of Isshiki, now more or less the official laughing stock of the series since his humiliation in the Student Council election last week. XD

Is it only fitting that Kumin’s rival Sui is voiced by Nakahara Mai, known for voicing dreamy and klutzy characters?

• February 7, 2014 at 9:46 amRigelin

I absolutely love the liberties KyoAni takes in their “filler?” episodes. I say filler but I can’t help but argue against it being one with the development we got from Kumin, her feelings and role in the club.

Anyways, I can’t help but truly enjoy and take great entertainment from how KyoAni takes usual anime climaxes and just inserts them into their shows. Kumin acting like the MC and unleashing an ultimate ability to take out the enemy, thus saving the club from disbandment? Did that scene not remind everyone of typical battle anime climaxes? Overall the flair, cleverness, and fun of the vanishment event was pure genius and absolutely entertaining. “Disqualified!” lmao

My other example would be episode 6 of Kyoukai no Kanata, which ends up being a more obvious filler. I think a lot of people didn’t enjoy the episode, as it was a filler, but from the start I had accepted it to be a filler and watched it as a parody. A parody of idol animes! It was ridiculously over the top, and the song and dance at the end was played out like a whole season of idol-practice had boiled down to that one moment.. “We can do this…. Because we’re Idols!”

Point is, KyoAni may not be a plot genius with heavy and amazing stories. But they do pull off a different kind of entertainment in their pacing, comedic timing, character antics and interactions, and just plainly being fun. There are exceptions of course…

• February 7, 2014 at 9:47 amMgMaster

o.O

I’m surprised so many people like Kumin-senpai. I’ve always found her to be a rather pointless character,even in S1. She’s just cute and…nope,I can’t think of anything else. At least Isshiki had some funny moments in S1 so tbh,I’d rather see more of him but we’re already at ep5 so I’d rather they don’t waste another episode on him too,everyone else is much more entertaining.

But anyway,I assume we’re mostly done with Kumin for this season and boy,am I glad for that.

• February 7, 2014 at 10:16 amShiro

yuuta seems so careless letting shichimiya does her old habit while her girlfriend is watching them if i were his girlfriend (who doesn’t have chuunibyo) i would mad at him lol. can’t blame him since they’re bestfriend and seem to had feelings to each other, though.

but yeah,

“shunjinko”

• February 8, 2014 at 9:24 amn30nl16ht

i love you shichimiya… T.T

• February 10, 2014 at 7:39 amOwaranai

Won’t be getting any votes for saying this, but Shinka and Yuuta are pretty much almost on the same wavelength. That’s probably as far as it goes though, since it’s pretty fun watching the relationship dynamics between Yuuta and Rikka. Shinka’s little displays of her character are what makes her my favorite female character in the series, though.

And Kumin is just epic this episode. Love it how the spotlight was given to a character that might seem redundant to others. She is part of the society after all, and has been having a little more time in the Vanishment World (or whatever you call it) thingy. For her male counterpart…Despite not having a big part, Isshiki never fails to bring a smile to my face whenever he appears. Ahh…the gag character!

Simply put, instead of focusing on the negatives that pop up whenever I see something, it’s probably better to focus on the positives (while not denying the negative parts) and enjoy the ride.

• February 12, 2014 at 2:01 amEnigma

Just gonna throw in my honest thought here.

I like Rikka’s reaction the most from this episode, one from NTR and one from yuri.

• February 13, 2014 at 12:41 amelior1

@takall wow just wait until you will see episode 6 i wont spoil anything but somthing that will make you happy will happy