M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane – 01 »« Date A Live II – 01

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san – 01

Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   01 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   02 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   03
Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   04 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   05 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   06
Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   07 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   08 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   09
Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   10 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   11 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   12
Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   13 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   14 Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   15

「犬神さんと猫山さん」 (Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san)
“Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san”

Even though I have no intentions of picking up this show, let me say a few things about it c:

Thing One

First off, I completely forgot that this was a short anime. I totally missed the timestamp when I hit play and I remember getting thrown off with how abrupt the cuts were. Once I realized what was going on, I noticed that I wasn’t really enjoying the show at all. Trust me, I can find enjoyment in just about anything anime and when there’s cats and dogs involved there has to be something really wrong to turn me off.

Thing Two

I’ve become pretty familiar with these short-length anime episodes and something was really off about this one. Unless there was some prequel material that I needed to watch, I didn’t enjoy how the episode threw us straight into the thick of things with barely any explanations. Besides “Inugami-san is like a cat even though her name has “Inu” in it and Nekoyama-san is like a dog even though her name has “Neko” in it” I’m still not sure what I watched.

Thing Three

I hate feeling like this because I think I could love a show like this if it wasn’t a mere three minutes and thirty seconds long. Even though I loved the dirty humor that was flowing through Inugami’s head and thought that the random lick on the face was actually kind of cute, I still can’t get over how abrupt the cuts between skits feel. And boy, does it feel abrupt.

General Impressions

While I may not be covering the show, I am definitely going to keep watching. It may just be a premonition, but I have this odd feeling that the dynamic relationship between Inugami and Nekoyama is going to be fun to watch. Anyways, if you haven’t already watched it I’d say give it a shot. It’s less than five minutes and who in the world doesn’t have a spare five minutes?

End Card

Inugami san to Nekoyama san   01   End Card
April 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm
  • April 15, 2014 at 10:10 pmdytianquin

I actually fully enjoyed that they just threw us into the thick of things. I knew it was going to be a short, and with that in my mind, I found myself laughing most of the way through. I’ll definitely be keeping up with this.

• April 15, 2014 at 10:11 pmTakaii

It’s probably because I went in without knowing that :/

Still, I wish this got the full episode treatment!

• April 15, 2014 at 10:53 pmdytianquin

Yeah, expectations really change how you see something. If you went in without none, or expected the short that it is, you probably would have enjoyed it a whole lot more. Regardless, you seemed to enjoy enough to watch the next episode.

I don’t know how it will fare if it got full episodes. Does it have enough substance and material to be a 12 episode show? I haven’t read any source material, so I don’t know. It might have, but I’m simply content that we have this funny short to go to in between all the marathon anime sessions that’s going to be happening this season since I’m watching a huge chunk of the shows coming out.

• April 16, 2014 at 3:45 pmJohnHayabusa

I wish this anime has a full episode length. Nonetheless, I would love to have more yuri. Got to love the end card by Namori.

• April 15, 2014 at 11:00 pmMara

Really liked it, I just wish it had been longer :( Could easily have expanded those into a full episode.

• April 15, 2014 at 11:09 pmStilts

The cuts in this did seem awfully abrupt. It wasn’t bad, but it’s not the best short I’ve seen either, not by a long shot. It’s still kind of nice when I’ve got a few minutes to burn, so maybe, maybe.

• April 16, 2014 at 1:31 amZannafar

The cuts are not nearly as aprupt as the ones in Teekyuu, which sometimes had lines from one scene extend into the next scene (probably because there is a limit to how fast humans can talk), and Inugami-san has at least a few transitions and eye-catchers between some scenes.

But then again Teekyuu also managed to compress the content of a full 24 minute episode into 2 minutes (-30 second intro).

• April 16, 2014 at 5:58 amleatherhead333

The difference there is that was part of Teekyuu’s style. Abrupt and totally random humor. And it worked for me at least. For this show it doesn’t really have the same effect.

• April 15, 2014 at 11:14 pms_w

ANIME I LIKE, WHY U SO SHORT?

Why am I yelling that at the monitor just about every season about some short or another?

• April 16, 2014 at 12:50 amsinkingmist

Pretty yuri.

*Adds to list of anime to watch*

• April 16, 2014 at 12:55 amWanderer

TAKAII! TONARI NO SEKI-KUN IS STILL AIRING! YOU HAVE MISSED TWO EPISODES OF IT NOW BECAUSE YOU DECLARED IT OVER PREMATURELY!

Sorry, but you’ve been missing or ignoring those messages everywhere when people have been trying to let you know, so I’m hoping to reach you now before you start ignoring further posts here. Anyway, on to responses to this post.

You’ve got that completely backwards. Inugami is like a dog, but she LIKES cats. Nekoyama is like a cat, but she LIKES dogs. In short, the dog likes cats, and the cat likes dogs.

• April 16, 2014 at 2:58 amTechim

I hear a nickname for Ep14 is Shingeki no Seki-kun :p

• April 16, 2014 at 3:13 amTakaii

• April 16, 2014 at 3:15 amTakaii

I might be picking it back up, maybe.

Technically it restarts in Japan in May (something along those lines).

Again we’ll see c:

• April 16, 2014 at 3:16 amTakaii

And that whole line about cats and dogs gets so darn confusing that I’m not surprised I fudged it a bit xD

• April 16, 2014 at 8:02 amWanderer

It’s really not that hard, it just sounds complicated when trying to explain it. Inu is a doglike person who likes cats, and Neko is a catlike person who likes dogs.

Glad to see you heard about Seki-kun, and my apologies, then. I’d been trying to get your attention about it for over a week, ever since episode 14 aired, and hadn’t seen any response, so I wanted to make certain this time that I reached you.

• April 16, 2014 at 10:33 amTakaii

Much love.

• April 16, 2014 at 8:24 amYX

The animation quality if REALLY terror. Cabbage level.

• April 16, 2014 at 10:40 amReaper

Is it me or does that end card’s art style resemble yuriyuri?

• April 16, 2014 at 10:47 amhashi

For me, this was one of the best first episodes of the season. The “abrupt” cuts were perfect, as far as I was concerned. This is a more direct way of adapting a 4-koma, rather than trying to weave the strips together into a narrative. The speed was not just forced by the short length, but was right for the material. Even the animation seemed fine to me. Quite suitable. Hilarious episode.

• April 16, 2014 at 7:58 pmanontop

Now go watch Akuma no Riddle! That one is fun and needs to be cover!

• April 17, 2014 at 8:38 pmJif

5 minutes of yuri is okay too.