« RandomC Podcast #11: 2015 Mid-Year Retrospective

RandomC Podcast #12: The Festive Chat Show

The holiday season is upon us, so let’s get festive!

Here we are with another podcast! However, this time around we decided to focus less on the currently airing anime, and instead discuss a variety of fun topics, rounding it off with a lovely Christmas bow. So get warm and snug, grab some whisky (or chocolate milk) and listen in!

As a holiday treat, we came up with the idea of doing a somewhat festive-themed podcast, and it was up to me (Samu) to organise it all. We’ve got a different combination of writers from last time, with the returning Podfather and part-time writer on the site, Zanibas. Enzo once again hosted this 2-cour extravaganza, and Stilts made sure to bring the alcohol. However, there was some dispute about me being a bad Scotsman for daring not to love whisky – that discussion went beyond what was recorded here, but whatever your drink of choice I hope you enjoy this podcast. Whether you need some more anime for your backlog, feel like getting in the Christmas spirit with our selection of festive episodes, or just want to listen to us talk nonsense, there should be something here for you. We had fun, and I hope you do too!

Participating Writers
  Time Index
  Listen to the Episode

Download 160 kbps (56.7 MB)

December 7, 2015 at 8:43 am
  • December 7, 2015 at 1:11 pmAshton

What animes this season if there is any, that you guys would like to see a sequel of in the next couple of years?

• December 7, 2015 at 1:31 pmSamu

For me it would have to be One-Punch Man and Concrete Revolutio. I’d like to see the Monogatari series get a full adaptation (which I’m sure it will), so I’ll say that as well. Oh, and about 5 more seasons of Haikyuu!! would be good. Tbh, there’s plenty of sequel-worthy anime this season.

• December 7, 2015 at 8:48 pmGuardian Enzo

OPM definitely. And the buzz is that that Concrete Revolutio is a split cour, which would be good as that’d also be my other pick. Osomatsu-san as well (it’s getting two cours, and may get more).

• December 7, 2015 at 2:00 pmCroos

Stilts-chan! You never fail to amaze me with your busy sched.

• December 7, 2015 at 6:35 pmStilts

That’s why I put the “maso” in “masochistic randomc writer.”

Enzo provides the “chistic.” I think. This, uh, metaphor is breaking down pretty fast.

(That wasn’t even a metaphor. Gods I’m a mess.)

• December 7, 2015 at 2:47 pmAshton

haha yes I’m definitely for Haikyuu and One Punch Man. Also i wanted to ask you guys this as well but do you think we will get another season of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun or a season 3 of Seitokai Yakuindomo?

• December 7, 2015 at 6:49 pmStilts

I BADLY want another season of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, and would not mind another of Yakuindomo either, but getting them…

Well, as for second seasons, I see them as less likely than a good show getting greenlit in the first place. So if something is popular and would make a good anime, I figure that it will usually get one eventually. Say 70% chance.

But for most series, I judge a sequel to be somewhere around 20% likely, on a good day. I’m talking about your No Game No Lifes or your Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kuns. For those kinds of shows, the anime are advertising, and they (the suits) have gotta balance whatever additional boost they would get in sales versus advertising another property, which might (probably will) get a much larger boost.

tl;dr – For Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, I wouldn’t hold your breath. For shows that have already had two of more series, I judge them as more likely, but not by much—30%, maaaaybe 40% likely to get a third season. This is all outside of anomalies like the Monogatari series and Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, btw.

• December 7, 2015 at 8:34 pmOnePunch_Guy

Shokugeki no Soma also deserves a second season :(

• December 7, 2015 at 9:32 pmStilts

Agreed! I enjoyed that one a lot. I hope it does get more. Though I’m not sure if getting an original 2-cour run means it’s more or less likely to get another season. Hm.

• December 8, 2015 at 5:20 amSamu

The next issue of WSJ apparently has a “big announcement” for Shokugeki no Soma, so there’s a good chance it’ll be a S2 announcement!

• December 8, 2015 at 8:14 pmguardian enzo

Oh hell, yes.

• December 10, 2015 at 4:16 amSamu

• December 7, 2015 at 8:02 pmZen

I’ve been way to busy to comment as of late, but seeing the podcast up just as I’m getting a brief moment to breathe is a pleasant feeling. Even more so with the special topics. Thanks guys!

• December 8, 2015 at 8:26 amワンパンマン

It’s interesting that Enzo still uses his Anime-Planet profile even when he writes for MAL now.

• December 8, 2015 at 8:42 ambelatkuro

He does write for MAL now(just saw his new HxH article) but he uses Anime-Planet more for keeping track of his anime watching list. It’s more updated than his MAL account.

• December 8, 2015 at 2:51 pmSudachi

Yeah! It always makes my day when there’s a new RC podcast posted and really excited to hear your thoughts on the topics listed. If we can just get a sequel to One Punch Man the (anime)world will be in complete harmony :)

• December 8, 2015 at 3:06 pmSamu