Boku no Hero Academia – 06 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 04

Boku no Hero Academia – 05

「今 僕に出来ることを」 (Ima Boku ni Dekiru Koto wo)
“What I Can Do For Now”

When the chips are down, when he’s backed into a corner, when everything’s against him—that’s when a hero shines. Izuku is a hero.

Izuku, You’re Cool!

Excuse me for a bit of storytelling nerdery. Let’s talk about themes.

This is the kind of story that could subsist on only its larger themes. Hard work, the weakling becoming strong, triumphing over adversity—these are time-honored themes for a reason, and Boku no Hero Academia is working them to the hilt. But it also occasionally makes use of episode-specific themes, which further enhance the tale.

This time, it was other people remarking upon how cool Izuku is. First was his mom, and d’awwwww! (Also, embarrassing.) As motivation that was good enough, but the episode was bookended by these remarks, with the second one coming from All Might himself. How cool is that? His mentor was worried for him, even All Might wasn’t sure he would pass this hurdle, and he astounded even him! They’re right. Izuku is cool. And this sub-theme made the episode all the better.

Smarts and Strength

Once again, I’m enjoying this show so much because I’m not always able to anticipate how Izuku is going to surmount the challenges facing him. Contrast that to Kabaneri or Netoge, which I both really, really enjoy by the way, but which I can usually anticipate where they’re going next. (Netoge especially, as I remarked upon in my most recent post.) To me, Boku no Hero Academia is more like Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, in that it can throw enough curveballs to keep even savvy viewers guessing. Both of them are also good at piling on the tension without making it feel too unfair. The more I think of it, those two really are a lot alike.

All of which is to say, I was laboring under the assumption that he would either successfully harness his power, or burn out his arm trying for one exceptional result. It had to be the ball throw, after all—all the others were endurance or flexibility based, which aren’t suitable unless he had real control over his Quirk. Which is why All Might’s reaction that he was cool was so perfect. He didn’t depend on pure strength, but instead thought his way out of the conundrum. He used the least necessary strength to get the result he needed, and damn if that isn’t wisdom. Entire societies could learn a lesson from that. With Aizawa Shouta-sensei / Eraser Head (Suwabe Junichi) out to expel him, he threaded the needle and used his uncontrollable power without incapacitating himself. You really are cool, Izuku!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Faced with a seemingly impossible test for his unruly Quirk, Izuku takes a path even All Might didn’t expect. He’s so cool! #heroaca 05

Random thoughts:

• It turned out all right, it turned out all might. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you All Might, starting in with the dad jokes. This is how a hero fades away.
  • Izuku finally stood up to Kacchan. Damn son, you go!
  • Best girl is so friendly. Though you’re still not really speaking to her, per say, Izukucchi.
  • I feel like Izuku needs to get that nurse to help him control his power. With her around he could risk screwing up without incapacitating himself. Though he didn’t know the first day was going to be so crazy, so he probably didn’t consider doing anything like that until he got into the school. That’s lesson number one.

My first novel, Wage Slave Rebellion, is available now. (More info—now in paperback!) Sign up for my email list for a FREE sequel novella. Over at stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: Dying idols, Frictionless routines, Even if you see it coming, it can still work, and Batman does not kill. Superman does not kill.

May 1, 2016 at 8:27 pm
  • May 1, 2016 at 8:35 pmSilivious

Well, it’s not like that nurse can keep healing him forever, lol. All she does is accelerate the bodies natural healing process, and that can only go so far, so the more he uses it without control, the more damage he deals permanently to himself. =(

• May 1, 2016 at 10:25 pmStilts

Good point. Would still be nice to have her on hand when he’s trying it out, but mostly it’d be nice if he could not use it too much until he’s got the feeling down (and trained up as a vessel).

Either way, it’s understandable he didn’t do anything but what he did in the run up to the first day, since Eraser Head-sensei’s teaching methods are unexpected.

• May 1, 2016 at 8:49 pmstarss

Well wouldja look at that. The HERO thinks his biggest fan is “so cool”! That brings good feelings.

• May 1, 2016 at 8:58 pmyoloalchemist

That was really cool from Izuku :D
    I just love it so much when the protagonist proves those who look down on him wrong, and Izuku did it just great. A tried, true and truly satisfying plot event in an underdog story.
    I loved how he focused his power in his finger to minimize damage, though I do wonder how exactly he imagined it. Perhaps instead of an egg in a microwave, he imagined a single popcorn seed in the microwave LOL XD

Other than that, this episode showed what quirks others have, showing their powers immediately in action which I quite liked. Besides the beautiful variety, I loved that their powers can be applied to pretty much anything as long as they use them correctly, so that they work for some while not so much for others, like with Ochako scoring even lower than Izuku in the running test while scoring a pretty much unbeatable score in the ball throw, and all of that added further to the variety.

Another solid episode :)

• May 1, 2016 at 10:26 pmStilts

I agree. It was nice how they showed off all the other kid’s powers without it feeling like exposition. It was exposition tied into a real crisis for our hero. Nicely done.

• May 1, 2016 at 9:01 pmGuile

Felt like there were maybe a few too many still frames of the kids standing there as Aizawa lectured at them. I’m pretty sure I saw that exact same shot of frog girl, Ochako and the redhead at least two or three times. And I think there was a flashback in there that immediately repeated what the character had JUST said? Oh well, if you need to keep the budget for the action scenes, might as well save here.

The other kids showing off their powers was pretty fun. I like the… I dunno what he is, French? The flashy kid with the laser.

And I really liked the look of All Might’s wrecked form on the beach. His wild ragged hair, and his super baggy shirt and pants with the giant ALL MIGHT-style belt buckle looks great.

• May 1, 2016 at 9:17 pmGyabo

Apparently I missed that first preview image when I was watching it myself, so boy did I bust a gut scrolling down to that.

• May 1, 2016 at 9:23 pmsandboxgod

This show is so amazing. IT has for sure lived up to the hype so far :D

• May 1, 2016 at 9:36 pmWorldwidedepp

Learn to control their powers and known their own limits… nice

• May 1, 2016 at 9:37 pmWorldwidedepp

but do not forget the Hero “Flash” use an special suit, to withstand the air pressure when running so fast, or he would up being naked when he stop :)

• May 1, 2016 at 10:04 pmDiyedas

This adaptation keeps getting better and better.

Apparently Deku went a small percentage over Bacchan in the ball toss, he’s not gonna be happy about that.

And Ochako is the cutest. I adore her. I loved her confusion over the weird blond dude talking to her.

• May 2, 2016 at 12:08 ammongoose

Best girl is so friendly.

Naw, best girl is frog girl Tsuyu who got the afterthought intro. (Seriously, she’s cooler than she looks.)

• May 2, 2016 at 12:43 amNex

Sorry, I think you might have misspelled “Momo”.

Alternatively,

• May 2, 2016 at 2:30 pmquigonkenny

You all spelled it wrong. It’s “Ashido Mina”.

• May 2, 2016 at 11:42 amGuile

There are different best girls in different arcs. Ochako has it locked up in the first arc, then Tsuyu, then back to Ochako for the tournament arc. Then uh… Yoroyazu or whatever her name is, maybe? I dunno.

Point is, that guy knew what he was talking about when he said all the girls are best girls.

• May 2, 2016 at 1:21 amWarriorsHeart

• May 2, 2016 at 2:44 amZhinvu

Aizawa definitely reminds me of Kakashi now. Nothing wrong with that though. I’m enjoying this series. Can’t wait to see more of how Izuku beats the odds.

• May 2, 2016 at 6:51 pmscampjot

It would be amazing if their relation grew like the relation between Kakashi and his students: he started very cold, but later became a father figure.
      Looking forward to that. After all, he his their homeroom teacher…

• May 3, 2016 at 5:14 pmZhinvu

I’m also guessing that’s going to happen. Naruto and his team managed to impress Kakashi in their first meeting and then got along with him, and I see the same this happen here with Izuku and Aizawa, when Aizawa was surprisingly impressed with Izuku’s thinking. It’s still too early to say though. I haven’t read the manga so I could be wrong. As tempting as it is to read ahead, right now it’s more fun to wait.

• May 2, 2016 at 3:25 amWarriorsHeart

My reaction to this was the same as Midoriya’s: “Die”?

And finally, I can’t wait to see scarface do something. He’s actually my favourite character.

• May 2, 2016 at 6:18 amPrivate

Cry for more but i admit he has intelligent to solve the problem.

• May 2, 2016 at 8:32 amWorldwidedepp

This Girl can maipulate Gravity (well at last this was in the Subs). But this is not quit right

• May 2, 2016 at 11:36 amWorldwidedepp

if she could control her powers to make an Air bubble of her Gravity, then she could use it like an Shield… not some normal shield (would be boring).. No NEO (Matrix) Shield, where she can stop Gun ammo in Air… She take their Gravity, and also their Kinekt energy and voila. NEO!!

• May 3, 2016 at 12:28 amCrook

She simply released the active state of her quirk to lift the effects of reduced gravity on Izuku. Besides, the level of weight that she takes from an object isn’t necessarily absolute. If she completely removed the effects of gravity from something, that thing would immediately float away from the Earth. Instead, the series shows that some things float, while others endlessly fly away.

Tl;dr: She controls the degree of gravity on an object, rather than an on/off kind of state, if you may.

• May 2, 2016 at 8:40 amWorldwidedepp

looks like this Guy can manipulate the dense of his Light beam, for this clever use of recoil, this laser must had been very “thick” to create the greatest recoil he can. So, he already can control the “power output” of his Power

Nice idea of using his powers in his hands as an impulse jet. Also, he are a little bit Iron man… :)

he is fast, but only fast at straight lines? can he also be so fast when he must dodge stuff and such?

• May 2, 2016 at 11:45 amGuile

In order;

It looks like he showed up with some kind of power belt, that may help him regulate his power.
      Bakugou’s got the talent, even if he is a selfish jackass.
      He can curve and stuff, but I don’t think he changes direction very well once he’s in motion.

• May 4, 2016 at 1:55 pmWorldwidedepp

i had today a funny idea, to improve his curving and stuff, he should do like Claire of Claymore (also see my Avatar here), when she meets the “Lion King” :)

• May 2, 2016 at 9:00 amzleihsh

Anyone notice the death flag for All Might w/ the torch passing metaphor?

• May 2, 2016 at 3:39 pmboingman

Didn’t think about this being a death flag, but it was certainly that they came up with it, since I was already starting to wonder how two ppl with the same powers could coexist. One loses more and more of his power, while the other gets stronger.

• May 2, 2016 at 3:40 pmboingman

*interesting

• May 3, 2016 at 1:49 amExukvera

This and the fact that he coughs blood a few times in almost every episode?

• May 2, 2016 at 11:33 amFlappy

You know, when All Might mentioned that the power will slowly disappear from him, I am pretty sure this was brought up much later into the story.

• May 2, 2016 at 11:38 amWorldwidedepp

perhaps his stomach injury have an great toll on his body now. As we saw he is puking blood…

• May 2, 2016 at 11:45 amFlappy

Nah I was noting the change in the chronological order of this information.

• May 2, 2016 at 9:42 pmstarss

I think it’s no question by now that All Might is slowly dying. Even if they never outrighted stated it, it’s definitely implied.

• May 2, 2016 at 2:36 pmquigonkenny

Loved how Suwabe milked the apathetic hikki side of Aizawa-sensei to start out, but had no problem channeling one of his more “unlimited” roles when it was time to be badass…

• May 2, 2016 at 4:20 pmNikki

This, unexpectedly, became my favorite show of the season. Izuku is the coolest, and he’s a character I want to root for.

Ochaco for best girl though.

• May 3, 2016 at 2:24 amion42

Don’t get too invested with the teachers or heroes, people. They all die.

• May 3, 2016 at 9:52 amAmon

Roses are red
    My name is Dave
    This poem makes no sense
    MICROWAVE