Boku no Hero Academia – 10 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 08

Boku no Hero Academia – 09

「いいぞガンバレ飯田くん!」 (Iizo Ganbare Iida-kun!)
“Yeah, Just Do Your Best, Iida-kun!”

Afternoon everyone! Takaii here filling in for Stilts-chan as he deals with some real life things!

Hello Class 1-A!

Compared to the past few episodes that have just been off the charts when it comes to defining the shounen genre, this week’s episode slowed things down a bit in favor of fleshing out the very diverse freshmen class of 1-A. Giving more characters than usual the opportunity to speak and show us their personalities, I have to give the show some props for managing such a large cast as well as it has.

Also, I have no doubt that everyone watching this show thought Iida was the best candidate for the job. And even though he didn’t win at first, how can you not support a guy who obviously wanted the position and voted for someone who he thought would do an even better job?

Everything Will Be All Might

That said, if I had to pick one thing that the spotlight was shining on, it would have to be All Might and his inner monologue throughout his way to work. Noticing that his powers were weaker than before and the time limit for maintaining his form steadily dropping, you could totally feel that sense of impending doom. And while doom might be a bit strong of a word to describe the situation, the fact that this scene preceded the shot of someone knocking a hole into UA’s walls (which apparently is really difficult to do) really accentuated it all.

Learning How to Be a Hero

Something I love about HeroAca is the way the show handles the whole idea of heroes. With a strong emphasis on how powers are ambiguous and can be used for either good or bad, I loved Thirteen’s speech about how important it is for heroes to understand just it means to use their quirks. Highlighting that his power has the ability to be extremely deadly if used carelessly, I loved how he managed to express such a grave and uncomfortable topic in such an upbeat and positive manner.

Looking Ahead

After a rather relaxing episode, it looks like things are about to get kicked back into full swing next week. You have a ton of villains descending upon class 1-A and All Might is out of commission since he got caught up with hero work, it looks like the only way everyone’s going to get out of this one is to fight their way through. In any case, I’ll catch you guys in the comments when Stilts-chan should be back with his usual witty banter!

May 31, 2016 at 2:30 pm
  • May 31, 2016 at 3:46 pmWarriorsHeart

• May 31, 2016 at 4:21 pmWanderer

You know, after hearing No. 13′s little speech to the kids, I actually would have been fine with just seeing them learn about performing rescues in these environments. Yeah, I know that villains showing up is more interesting, but you can’t say that Thirteen didn’t make the whole idea sound rather cool.

• May 31, 2016 at 5:26 pmSekai

I was genuinely disappointed that the villains turned up. Not because it’s bad for the narrative, but simply because Thirteen made the training sound really interesting! Here’s to hoping we revisit the USJ properly at some point!

• May 31, 2016 at 7:37 pmThe Walker

The show may still give us that scenario, or something similar. If these kids decide to join the fray (and we know they will) They will have to learn how to team fight on the fly. How can they position themselves and use their abilities in an actual threat situation and not get in each others’ way.

• May 31, 2016 at 8:59 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, it would have been interesting to see, say, how Bakugo would use his Quirk in a way that could rescue people rather than simply blowing stuff up in a more destructive manner (we saw he did know he could use it in other ways like using it to propel himself in various directions). Like most likely using it on a much smaller scale to clear rubble or something.

• May 31, 2016 at 5:02 pmscampjot

I absolutely love how Mina is always interrupting Yuuga, despite being on the same team. It’s not the most polite thing, but I find it hilarious, because it doesn’t seem to be on purpose! :P

• May 31, 2016 at 10:13 pmTakaii

You and me both man. I already loved her design but I LOVE IT when she interrupts Yuuga.

• May 31, 2016 at 10:29 pmWanderer

Mina’s design is beautiful (she wins “loveliest girl” hands down, in my opinion), and any time she speaks up she brings fun into the conversation. I’m sure she’s not trying to interrupt Yuuga; it’s probably more that his narcissistic comments have become so commonplace that everyone tunes them out. He’s basically just background noise.

And, of course, Mina is a bundle of energy and excitement who can’t restrain herself when something gets her hyped.

• June 1, 2016 at 2:30 pmGuile

It’s kinda funny, I definitely don’t remember Mina being such a big part of the group this early in the manga.

I wonder if I was just unobservant while reading the first time, or if they actually bulked up her parts a little because she’s involved in the latest arc more. Backfilling in to retroactively make her a solid secondary character.

• June 1, 2016 at 4:03 pmWanderer

They haven’t really done anything special with Mina, beyond that one anime-original scene in episode 8 with Mina, Ochako, and Tsuyu overlooking Izuku and Bakugo’s talk after school (“The fated battle between men!” There’s been mild expansion in actually attributing lines directly to her (when Izuku came back from the infirmary, the “you did a good job dodging” was just part of general chatter from the crowd, in the manga, and she didn’t repeat it there the way she did in episode 8.) but her behavior in the anime fits what I’ve seen of her character: bouncy and full of fun.

In the manga she’s a still character on a page, who only tends to show up on the side or in the background or in a quick shot, because there hasn’t been much focus on her. However, in the anime she’s in motion, and for her being in motion is attention-getting. So I wouldn’t really say that the anime’s giving her more focus, but its displaying the parts of her personality that don’t always come across well in a printed medium, and that results in her drawing more attention than she likely did in the manga.

• June 1, 2016 at 12:15 amaoba

that guy wants to wanna-be Watase Aoba

the villian “Bizon” who has grudge against and keep saying “Watase Aoba” from Buddy Complex

• June 1, 2016 at 2:27 amZhinvu

Aside from Thirteen’s lesson on Quirk use, I also found the conversation between All Might and Izuku interesting. That’s probably the first time I heard someone point out the downside to sincerity. Actually even before, I can’t believe Izuku would tell Bakugo, of all people, something about his Quirk. A secret he’d keep even from family. Glad that All Might drove the point on how important it is nobody finds out the secret of One For All, even if for Izuku talking about it is the right thing to do. On Bakugo too, I guess it’s now a little funny that 1-A practically brands him as an angry hothead less likely to be a popular hero. In a way I compare him to the Hulk for being the powerful loose cannon of the class.

Out of all the heroes we’ve seen so far too, the one I’m most intrigued with is Tooru, simply because she’s invisible. After getting introduced to her during the Trial Battles while watching succeeding episodes I now wonder if she’s in the scene or not.

• June 1, 2016 at 2:28 pmGuile

I kinda loved Izuku being baffled that the rest of 1-A talks shit about Bakugo. That has literally never happened before, presumably. In all their shared flashbacks, everyone’s always verbally sucking Bakugo’s dick.

But these are all kids who made the cut into the premier hero-ing school in the country (even Mineta, somehow), so they’re able to separate Bakugo having an awesome quirk from him being a total douchebag.

• June 2, 2016 at 12:17 amZhinvu

I did like that scene too, since it’s kind of a humbling experience for Bakugo. Not to mention getting to know some of the other heroes and how they think of him, like Tsuyu who we find out here is a straightforwardly honest girl.

• June 1, 2016 at 2:32 pmGuile

Deku geeking out will never not be adorable to me.

I am sorry to say that I thought Tsuyo’s voice was good last episode as an appropriate voice for such an oddball character, but now that she has more speaking lines it’s starting to grate more. That’s going to be a pain for the next few episodes.

• June 1, 2016 at 11:20 pmyoloalchemist

Well she is supposed to sound like a frog, so that’s the reason behind it. But I also understand why it would bother you.

• June 1, 2016 at 6:08 pmlasttiwinfan

The hands guy is very creepy, but i’m dissapointed by his name it should be more intimidating like ‘The hand of fate’ or Manos

• June 1, 2016 at 7:52 pmGuile

They should have called him For Whom The Death Tolls.

• June 1, 2016 at 9:01 pmWanderer

I doubt he has the literary background to come up with that phrasic portmanteau.

…Also he’d need a cowl. So that he can look imperious.