Bleach 681 – Rush? »« Bleach 679 – The End

Bleach 680 – The Final Countdown

A colour page!

The Final Set-Up:

Hey! Bleach got a colour page this week! The last time Weekly Shonen Jump gave Bleach such a luxury was exactly 40 chapters ago. But it turns out there is a reason for that colour page – it’s not to announce a new anime or another mobile game, but instead counting down to the end of the series. With the current chapters titles ‘The End’ you would think that would be obvious, yet with Ichigo’s spectacular defeat it’s hard to predict how things are going to play out. At the very least we now know that the end is in sight. It may still be a far off for the time being (maybe we’ll reach that point before the year is over), but the magazine is acknowledging we’re approaching the finish line, and that’s both exciting and terrifying.

With the number of chapters purposefully shadowed in the colour page, that will leave room for speculation. But what we do know after this chapter is that Juha appears to be the only one left in the game, or at least the only one that really matters. He’s won this battle, taken Ichigo’s quincy and hollow powers, and ascended to another realm of existence. For the sake of the plot, however, he has left the door open behind him in hopes that his spot at the top will be challenged. It’s a typical set-up, but it works for a battle shonen like Bleach, so I don’t think there’s much point in harping on about it. The final battle didn’t turn out as I expected up until now, but hopefully this breather will allow Ichigo and company to prepare themselves for the real conflict that awaits.

Total loss.

The Power of Friendship!:

Down below we see that Haschwalth has pretty much defeated Ishida, who gives one last friendship inspired speech. Normally these confessions would be annoying – especially if you’re familiar with Fairy Tail – but it feels genuine when coming from Ishida. For so long he has been sheltered and this moment proves how far he’s come as a character and how much he respects the bonds he has with his friends. I’m not an Ishida fanboy by any means, but this was a strong moment for his character, and the reaction from Hascwalth was just as satisfying.

My reading of his stern response is that he thinks back to Bazz-B and how he betrayed him for his own cause. He must have been reminded of that friendship he once had, which has me interested to know if there’s some humanity still left in him. But who knows now, because Juha has absorbed Gerard and it appears Haschwalth was hit by the beam of light as well. It would be strange if this is where the end of his character, but if we’re wrapping things up that may be the case.

Haschwalth doesn’t like friendship power-ups.

Overview – What’s Next?:

The end is nigh. We don’t know the exact details, but we’re getting confirmation that there is a countdown beginning. Kubo must have an ending in mind, and with the devastation that Ichigo has just felt I’m keen to see how things play out. Juha is easily the most powerful being in the series right now – he’s practically God. I have no idea how he’ll be defeated, but I expect we’ll be getting the Greatest Hits of Bleach in the coming weeks/months in order to dethrone everyone’s common enemy.

June 30, 2016 at 5:30 am
  • June 30, 2016 at 5:52 amxxvan

You could say that Juha BLEACHED Ichigo’s soul.

Juha also seems to fan of video games since that’s literally a point of no return portal you seen at the end of rpgs.

• June 30, 2016 at 7:37 amWorldwidedepp

like in FF 13…

• June 30, 2016 at 8:03 amdean

I think FF 6 is more accurate with Kefka sitting on his god tower, while the protagonists could go around the world, train and gather their allies, while resolving their issues. I assume that this is how the nine days will come into play. Yhwach sists around doing god stuff while Ichigo and co sit around and train, which will conveniently take exactly six days.

Anyone else, who thinks that Bazz-B will appear in the next chapter and tell Haschwalth that he’s still his friend?

• June 30, 2016 at 8:14 amYanDaMan

This guy just once again ate every remaining Quincy’s powers and they died in such a lame and non-dramatic way.

Really makes you wonder why the sternritters even followed this guy in the first place, lol.

• June 30, 2016 at 8:15 amYanDaMan

And not to mention Gerard’s fight basically ended up being a huge waste of time due to this since it never even got a proper conclusion.

• June 30, 2016 at 3:55 pmL002

Well you would wonder why some of the Arrancar followed this guy. In the past, there are cases where people followed dictators and tyrants

Anyway, feel sad that Ichigo can’t hear old man Zangetsu, I think if that is what occurred.

Now the only person, that can throw a wrench to the greatest current villain is the greatest old villain, Aizen.

• June 30, 2016 at 8:23 amspikerman87

…Really?

We spent 10 chapters of characters fighting Gerard, characters using new abilities, new bankais, leaving the audience wondering how the good guys would defeat this enemy who has the power of miracles…….and you made all their work pointless? He was my favorite Quincy and that’s how you end him?! Yeah I know, I know, but you took away a very good moment for the heroes which was them actually winning against him, and achieving a victory over a very over powered enemy.

• June 30, 2016 at 8:28 amWorldwidedepp

what victory? the Victory run away, and we get to see another “train hard” from Ichigo and friends

• June 30, 2016 at 8:39 amspikerman87

Victory against Gerard. Miracle Man. The guy whose power is to die and say “But if I came back wouldn’t that be a miracle?”

The guy who Kubo made such a powerful enemy and wrote himself into a corner realizing the good guys would never have defeated him ever so he had Juha Bach just suck him up. Resolved.

• July 2, 2016 at 6:28 amCrook

I agree, that’s been quite a frustrating bit for me as well. He was an interesting opponent because I was looking forward to how his defeat would be handled. Turns out it wasn’t gonna happen to begin with.

• July 2, 2016 at 11:31 amspikerman87

The response I’ve been getting elsewhere is that “This was planned from the beginning.” Which I guess somehow makes this ok. No it doesn’t make this ok, it just means this wasn’t a good idea in the first place. That’s basically saying Kubo decided to waste time from the beginning. That’s not a good defense and it’s the only response I’ve been getting in emails and comments. If you can tell me why any author wasting our time is defendable then I’m listening.

• June 30, 2016 at 10:30 amTarage

Only 700 more chapters!

• June 30, 2016 at 10:48 amstarss

It’s the Final Countdooooown! DA DA DAA DAAA …… DADADA DA DA…

• June 30, 2016 at 12:39 pmLaughingMan

Well shit. How the hell is Yhwach supposed to be beaten at this point?

• June 30, 2016 at 3:17 pmLyfe

Maybe a Dragon Ball style fusion with Ichigo and his father? Ahh that would be quite something..

• July 1, 2016 at 5:50 amLyfe

I hope people didn’t think I was being serious with that comment :/

• July 1, 2016 at 11:28 amKob264

Well. we´ll have to use the Master Ball, it works with Arseus. XD

• July 2, 2016 at 12:17 amElHuesudoII

In before Aizen inevitably challenges Yhwach and Yhwach cannot see any possible future in which he can win. He tries to change the outcome and still sees defeat everywhere.

I’m no longer really following this series, but if Aizen returns as a final boss I’ll laugh my ass off.

• June 30, 2016 at 3:19 pmLyfe

Given that the manga appears to have a time limit now. Aizen will now step forward.. Maybe?

• June 30, 2016 at 3:22 pmMormegil

Sure is going to be surreal when Bleach comes to an end. No Naruto and Bleach in Shonen Jump? Crazy stuff.

• June 30, 2016 at 5:15 pmthenewhorde

jump has existed long before Naruto and Bleach you know.

• June 30, 2016 at 6:05 pmSigh-chan

>I remember a time when there wasn’t even Dragonball. When the best thing to be had was Dr. Slump. Ah… good times.

You’d literally have to be 45+ years old to “remember” a time when Dragonball wasn’t in SJ. So, you’re either a liar or a gigantic creep with that preteen girl avatar.

• June 30, 2016 at 9:37 pmWorldwidedepp

@sigh-chan

Even i do remember Dr. Slump

what now?

• June 30, 2016 at 5:39 pmSoulCaster

I am predicting power-up via Fatherhood, what other purpose do Isshin and Ryūken have at this point.

Anyway, Ignoring the many issues I have with Bleach it is going to be kind of odd when this story comes to a close.

• June 30, 2016 at 7:01 pmJuan

When Bleach finally ends it’s really gonna be an end of an era for me. I was never a One Piece fan so my “Big 3″ was actually just Naruto and Bleach.

• June 30, 2016 at 9:38 pmWorldwidedepp

you missing Fairy Tale

• July 1, 2016 at 2:21 amReDeYeZer0

Fairy Tale is horrible and shouldnt even be considered as part of the Big 3. It never was in the first place lol

• July 1, 2016 at 5:50 amLyfe

Actually Fairy Tail was popular enough to relieve two anime adaptions.

• June 30, 2016 at 10:34 pmSkins Thhunderbomb

So Bleach is ending eh? Well then. Talk about an end of an era.

• July 1, 2016 at 4:28 aminfo600

Someone got skipped out with Juha grabbing the rest of the sternritter’s powers.

That was one heck of a color page BTW…

• July 1, 2016 at 3:28 pmKrillos

So Bleach is reaching its end. To be honest, I’m not that particularly sad about it, really.
    But out of curiousity, what will Kubo do once he is done with the series? Does he have any new projects in mind?

• July 2, 2016 at 12:26 pmWiley

chair-sama will save the day

in a game of rock,scissor,paper it always goes chair > god. its a fundamental law that supercedes any and all almightyness

• July 3, 2016 at 4:53 amKov

I wonder why Kubo isn’t making it clear how many remaining chapters are left. This was an extremely poor way to end Gerald and the remaining followers of Bach.

I wonder if Kubo in the future should primarily focus on art and let others write the story like what’s done for popular works such as Noblesse.

Outside of Aizen, Tokyo Ghoul:re latest chapter (83) alone destroyed the quality of story Bleach has had after the Seireitei Arc ended and the fight before the final Ulquiorra Cifer battle. That’s like 400 chapters?

After that it’s like he lost passion to write a good story as though he was limited being a Shounen instead of a Seinen.