Boku no Hero Academia – 15 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 13

Boku no Hero Academia – 14

OP2 Sequence

OP2: 「ピースサイン」 (Peace Sign) by Yonezu Kenshi

「そういうことね お茶子さん」 (Sou iu Koto ne Ochako-san)
“That’s the Idea, Ochaco-san”

It’s back it’s back IT’S BACK!!

Boku no Hero Academia is back. It’s back, it’s the same as always, and even the intro was giving me chills.

Though that was pretty much the only scene that gave the signature HeroAca feeling. Which sounds like a complaint, but it’s not! The intro and the final scene did it, but one of the elements that makes this series work so well is that it builds, and for it to do that, it needs to build on something. That’s what this episode did, provide the foundation for the U.A. sports festival arc that’s going to keep us enthralled this season.

Much of it was recap, to remind us of how we got here. Which I appreciate more and more as I get older, and more importantly, busier—I forget stuff, so the reminder is appreciated. No extra points for how the exposition was done, it was just spoken aloud, but it’s not like HeroAca needs to find an elegant way of telling every aspect of its story, i.e. weaving exposition seamlessly into the plot. It’d be appreciated! But not necessary. They got the recap out of the way, and we got to be reintroduced to the cast, so we’re back up to speed. Good!

Undoubtedly the most substantive character moment had to do with Ochako’s reasons for becoming a hero, and ya know what? I’m totally with Iida-kun here. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to earn money, especially to give your parents a better life. Though I’m also with her parents, and that she ought to pursue her own dreams—it’s a complicated dance. Ideally she’ll be able to achieve her dreams AND help her parents, but the desire to do the latter can twist the former, and maybe becoming a hero—even if she just potentially wants to help with the construction—isn’t really her dream. Time will tell, but it’s a question that has my interest.

Other than that though, this episode was the foundation of what will hopefully be Izuku’s heroic coming out party—and that of his friends and classmates too. I can’t wait, I can’t wait, I can’t wait! Each week just got a little brighter, because Boku no Hero Academia is back.

Random thoughts:

• A villainous man-child with his childish sense of omnipotence still intact. That seems an appropriate villain for 2017.
  • Reintroducing us to the cast is just an exercise in reminding me of all my ships. Though many are still developing. Outside of Ojiro and Tooru, obviously. OTP!
  • The other part that interested me is why Deku was able to control One For All that one time against Nomu. Because it was the first time he used it on a person . . . well. I feel like that’s only half the story, but we’ll see soon enough.

My SECOND novel, Freelance Heroics, is available now! (Now in print!) (Also available: Firesign #1 Wage Slave Rebellion.) Sign up for my email list for exclusive content. At stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: Guardians of the Galaxy, Glee, & Firesign; That’s not supposed to go there . . .; The Carcer Principle; and Fire, further.

ED3 Sequence

ED3: 「だから、ひとりじゃない」 (Dakara, Hitori ja nai) by Little Glee Monster

April 1, 2017 at 9:41 am
  • April 1, 2017 at 9:54 amUrahara

How to make an anime 101

• April 1, 2017 at 9:57 amNex

THE DAY HAS COME.

• April 1, 2017 at 12:20 pmGuile

SPORTS DAY.

• April 1, 2017 at 9:59 amUrahara

“A villainous man-child with his childish sense of omnipotence still intact. That seems an appropriate villain for 2017.”
    come on man ….

• April 1, 2017 at 10:03 amStilts

Nyahaha! Couldn’t resist :3

• April 1, 2017 at 11:07 amTrippwire

Stilts is savage.

• April 1, 2017 at 1:56 pmLonghaul

It says a lot about Stilts.

• April 3, 2017 at 8:44 pmvinny

how many people won’t get it ^_^

• April 1, 2017 at 10:13 amyoloalchemist

*GUSHIIIIIIIING*

I was looking forward to Uraraka’s character insight, and wow, My Hero Academia sure knows how to make its characters relatable, as I right now am in a similar position, and also sort of dilemma. It only makes me think if Horikoshi-sensei is merely being considerate in portraying as many aspects of human life as he possibly can, or maybe he just might have had a similar circumstance once upon a time. Either way, nice touch.

I really don’t know what Izuku’s One For All strike against Nomu being non-debilitating can tell us or Izuku himself, and initially I was skeptical about it since it may just have been Nomu’s shock absorption giving him the illusion that his power finally worked as it’s supposed to. But since my understanding of One For All (so far at least) is that it works more like a thought process in order to control its power output, that means Izuku would have to retrace his memories of the event, what exactly his thoughts were. That could be a good start.

So Stilts, I’m really hoping you cover this season as well :)

• April 1, 2017 at 11:30 amStilts

There is a STRONG POSSIBILITY I will be the one to blog it through :3

Amen on Uraraka / similar positions. I’ve wrestled with that before, and I landed more on the “achieve your own dreams” side of things (’cause writing books isn’t a sure path to great riches, lemme tell ya), but I’m not without my second thoughts.

Nomu’s shock absorption was always a good possibility, but I feel like that woulda been cheap, and the scene was meant as a clue / sign that there’s a way forward for Izuku mastering One For All. Not that I should be getting meta with story justifications, probably, but I try not to miss the forest for the trees.

• April 1, 2017 at 10:28 amWarriorsHeart

Really looking forward to this season and little Ochako is sweet.

• April 1, 2017 at 12:20 pmGuile

On the OP, it’s kind of weird that Steel Boy (Kirishima, something like that?) got second billing after Ochako. They put him next to Bakugo which is cool since they had that moment together during last season’s finale, but why the heck did he come before Bakugo, Iida, and Deku? Maybe he’ll have an expanded part or they’re going to switch him out of the OP for someone later in the season or something.

There’s some solid framing and a little light metaphor on top, which is nice.

I kinda like how even if they do the usual ‘put the girl characters in the ED together’ thing, everybody’s fully clothed and has some good poses.

• April 1, 2017 at 12:43 pmyoukai

Invisible girl is almost naked though <_<

• April 3, 2017 at 12:52 amPayback

It’s a tasteful nude.

• April 1, 2017 at 1:48 pmChris hall

Anime is life

• April 1, 2017 at 2:45 pmTetsuuoooooooooo

Nice mostly recap episode, I really hope the pacing is alot better this season. The shows plot and characters are fantastic but the pacing really saps its energy.

• April 1, 2017 at 3:09 pmLonghaul

There are some spoilers in the scene before the OP.

• April 2, 2017 at 7:56 pmsealouse

I didn’t read your spoiler, but that’s a typical cold opening.

• April 3, 2017 at 11:01 pmquigonkenny

Then I suggest you don’t read the spoiler, unless you’re up to date on the manga. It’s minor, but it does refer to something fairly recent.

• April 3, 2017 at 11:57 pmLonghaul

For what it’s worth I am partially wrong in what I thought I saw.

• April 1, 2017 at 3:12 pmGuile

Well, and fingers crossed that they can competently manage the soon-to-be-expanding secondary cast. This episode helped nail down the Class A guys in my head (small groups, usually calling each other by name), but then by the end of the season there’ll be another class worth of kids in the background…

• April 1, 2017 at 5:55 pmLoper

That invisi-girl is permanently invisible like that or she can’t control it yet? That poor girl will have zero popularity

• April 1, 2017 at 8:51 pmNex

I wouldn’t really call this a spoiler, the author said it in bonus material pretty early on, but:

• April 3, 2017 at 11:05 pmquigonkenny

I wonder…

• April 1, 2017 at 6:28 pmzztop

25 episodes confirmed for S2, with 8 monthly Bluray releases.

• April 2, 2017 at 6:42 amStilts

Wait, really!?

\o/

WOOHOO!

• April 1, 2017 at 7:40 pmRedRocket

Yay great superhero fantasy is back with Stilts commentary.

• April 1, 2017 at 8:42 pmMormegil

Don’t know what was going on during that scene with Deku near the beginning, but damn, he looked badass! I hope we go back to that eventually, but maybe it was anime-original?

Also, please more frog girl this season.

• April 4, 2017 at 2:48 amFlappy

“why Deku was able to control One For All that one time against Nomu”

If I am not wrong wasn’t it because Nomu absorbed all the impact and thus there was no feedback back to Deku’s arm and thus not shattering his bones.

• April 5, 2017 at 7:36 pmJason

Binge watched the entire first season yesterday and thanks to a nice person over on Crunchyroll was able to watch the newest episode. I’m loving this show and I especially loved that we got to learn more about Ochaco/Ochako this episode since she’s probably my favorite of the cast. I’m interested in seeing what kind of twist the Sports Festival will have since I have yet to read the manga.