Boku no Hero Academia – 25 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 23

Boku no Hero Academia – 24

「飯田くんファイト」 (Iida-kun Faito)
“Fight on, Iida”

Meddling when you don’t need to is the essence of being a hero.

This episode blazed through a lot of fights, so it’s hard to know where to focus. Though, the purpose was relatively clear: showing just how badass Todoroki and Bakugo are. First that involved making it so their soon-to-be opponents knocked out their previous opponents quickly, and then through the fights themselves. I mean, it’s not like we didn’t already know they were strong, but we needed to get to the final match, so might as well burnish their street cred along the way.

Of them, the battle I think I enjoyed the most was actually Kirishima vs Bakugo. Mostly because it’s such a foregone conclusion that he’d lose that how well he did comes out looking great. In contrast, Iida did well, but it was over so fast it didn’t feel like it, and Tokoyami had a serious mismatch, quirk-wise.

To me, the more interesting parts of the episode were less action-oriented, and more interpersonal. To wit: Shouto’s conversation with his father. That was just about the best way Shouto could have handled that. It wasn’t a confrontation, since he hasn’t yet decided whether he wants to go all-in on using his father’s quirk or not. It wasn’t emotional in the least. Instead, he merely admitted the truth: that, in the face of the challenge that Izuku represented, he simply forgot about his father. Endeavor did not matter when Shouto was faced with Izuku. No anger, no spite, none of that. Just dismissal. In that moment, the villain of Shouto’s life simply wasn’t important.

I can’t think of a better way to stick it to the old man in that moment.

Then there was Izuku’s conversation with All Might, which just about made me cry. When All Might revealed that he was originally Quirkless, my reaction was the same as Izuku’s. Heart tightened, tear ducts revved up—it hit me hard. Izuku’s flaw is self-doubt, that’s what holds him back—and trying to silence his own doubt (and live up to what he sees as other’s expectations) is most often gets him into trouble. But his kindness is the mark of a good hero—of “meddling when you don’t need to.” Seeing All Might reward that with the faith he has in Izuku is sweet medicine. Is it wish-fulfillment, wanting kindness and earnestness to be rewarded, when so often the world spits in good people’s eyes? Yes. But damn if I don’t want to live in that world even so. Give me this moment at least.

Then things escalated. While Iida-kun was fighting his match, his nii-san was off getting sliced the hell up. The Hero Killer Stain (Inoue Go) is a serious godsdamned villain, totally clashing with the youthful striving of the UA Sports Festival in a way that underscores the danger. That he seems to be teaming up with some old friends is even worse news. But great news for us in the audience, because challenge and conflict is what makes the storytelling world turn, and the Hero Killer, with his anti-All Might agenda, promises that in spades.

Random thoughts:

• Izuku got some hype from his matches, even if the crowd was badmouthing him a bit too. He’ll have to prove himself all over again next year, when he can control his quirk better. Which he’s gonna have to do, because Recovery Girl just cut off her healing services for self-inflicted wounds. STAKES RAISED.
  • D’aaawww, they have a bandage in the same spot. ADORABLE!
  • It sucks that everyone knows Tokoyami’s weakness now, but seriously, couldn’t they have straight up guessed? His quirk is called Dark SHADOW. Context clues, children.

My SECOND novel, Freelance Heroics, is available now! (Now in print!) (Also available: Firesign #1 Wage Slave Rebellion.) Sign up for my email list for exclusive content. At stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: I get it now!; Guardians of the Galaxy, Glee, & Firesign; That’s not supposed to go there . . .; and The Carcer Principle.

June 10, 2017 at 11:01 pm
  • June 10, 2017 at 11:21 pmchurroz

Playtime is over kiddos! Mr. Stain is here now, and he needs your blood! Muhahaha! XD

• June 11, 2017 at 12:41 amYojimbo

LOL I see what you did there…

• June 10, 2017 at 11:38 pmGuile

To Stain, it kinda seems like if you’re not as good a hero as All Might, then you might as well fucking die.

Kiiind of a prick, I mean, obviously… but I bet his backstory’s pretty good.

• June 10, 2017 at 11:39 pmyoloalchemist

1. http://randomc.net/image/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia%20-%2024%20-%20Large%2002.jpg
    It’s amazing how one’s idea of a serious middle finger changes with times. Todoroki for the win. I’m rooting for him against Bakugou, because his power up is so worth him going all-out against him, and because a Todoroki satisfaction is a great satisfaction for me… and of course I just want him to spite Bakugou, nishishishi.

2.http://randomc.net/image/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia%20-%2024%20-%20Large%2009.jpg
    My Hero Academia, back with the relatability. It doesn’t get any better than this for Izuku.

3.http://randomc.net/image/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia%20-%2024%20-%20Large%2015.jpg
    At one point, Bakugou kinda got Jojo-esque with his explosions, sans the “DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE….”. That would’ve been ridiculous, but I’d still would’ve welcomed it :P

4.http://randomc.net/image/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia%20-%2024%20-%20Large%2029.jpg
    Poor Dark Shadow. He too can have too much pain sometimes.

5.http://randomc.net/image/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia/Boku%20no%20Hero%20Academia%20-%2024%20-%20Large%2034.jpg
    Move aside, Shigaraki, a serious MHA villain is gonna take your spotlight. The way he talked about the heroes of their society… that sounded like a big deal. I think he’s shaping up to be the type of villain that gets the audience to wonder about the current state of affairs, and wonder if it’s really ok the way it is. The type of villain that makes it hard for us to root against. The first sign of such villain is that they take it very personal with their objective, and that sign is subtly and superbly displayed in the form of Stain’s blade. It’s blunt, not sharp. Which means he wants to give his targets a lot of pain before he offs them. And how he referenced All Might in the end… one can get an idea, but since it’s the villain’s circumstances that would take center stage, and how the heroes respond shapes the conflict going forward. I’m feeling it, he’s gonna make a great anime villain. Can’t wait.

• June 10, 2017 at 11:47 pmyoloalchemist

I don’t know what happened, but my comment said “awaiting moderation”. Maybe it’s because I stuck too many screen caps in it, but alas, this is my comment without the screen caps. Anyway.

Poor Dark Shadow. He too can have too much pain sometimes.

Move aside, Shigaraki, a serious MHA villain is gonna take your spotlight. The way he talked about the heroes of their society… that sounded like a big deal. I think he’s shaping up to be the type of villain that gets the audience to wonder about the current state of affairs, and wonder if it’s really ok the way it is. The type of villain that makes it hard for us to root against. The first sign of such villain is that they take it very personal with their objective, and that sign is subtly and superbly displayed in the form of Stain’s blade. It’s blunt, not sharp. Which means he wants to give his targets a lot of pain before he offs them. The hero setting in MHA would invite us to wonder why he does such torture instead of just dismissing him as a vile and repulsive villain. And how he referenced All Might in the end… one can get an idea, but since it’s the villain’s circumstances that would take center stage, and how the heroes respond shapes the conflict going forward. This has gotta be the greatest anime villain introduction I’ve seen in a long while. I’m feeling it, he’s gonna make a great anime villain. Can’t wait.

• June 11, 2017 at 1:40 amStilts

The more links a comment has, the more likely it is to be caught in moderation. It’s no biggie, someone will come by and approve it eventually. Not me though, I can’t be arsed.

I don’t think Stain, as we’ve seen him, will in any way be a villain that’s hard to root against. He seems utterly vile. That’s not the same as being one-dimensional, or even him not having some kind of a point; I can easily see where he’s likely coming from with the hypocrisy of the hero world. But just because a villain has some measure of a point doesn’t mean they’re hard to root against. They just make you think even as you root for them to get stomped, because heinous acts are heinous acts, and anyone who cuts people up with a notched blade because he wants it to hurt more isn’t liable to be an anti-villain. He’s probably just an asshole, and a sadist, and a murderer.

• June 11, 2017 at 2:02 amyoloalchemist

Fair enough. I was simply talking from a stand point in which the lesson he will likely teach Izuku and the other youngesters will benefit them to see the hero world from a view point they may not want to see, and to realize how to deal with it with all its machinations. Because not every reality is gonna be pretty. That’s not how the world works. But Stain is a villain at the end of the day for sure. Even if he has a point, his presence still disturbs the society and gives it a measure of despair at his actions, so sooner or later, he will have to be taken down. But I’m so psyched at his prospect as an antagonist.

• June 11, 2017 at 12:39 pmStilts

It might be just me, but I have a feeling they’da realized that the hero world isn’t all heroics and saving people in short order, if most (or all) of them haven’t realized it already. Then it’d be more about driving the point home, and making sure WE (the audience) get the message.

• June 11, 2017 at 12:19 amPurpleBomber

I find it pretty funny that just a few weeks after a point is made about Bakugo not treating Ochako like lesser competition because she’s a girl, and just one week after Midoriya got so mad at Todoroki for only using half his strength, we get both Iida and Tokoyami totally pulling punches against Shiozaki and Ashido. XD

When you’re an odds-on favorite like Bakugo or Todoroki, I guess you’re just held to different expectations than everyone else.

• June 11, 2017 at 1:35 amStilts

I don’t know that they pulled punches so much as accurately anticipated how much force they would need to win. It’s not like anyone WANTS to beat the snot out of their classmates (with the possible exception of Bakugo). If you can do it with less, that’s good.

It’s more about not underestimating anyone, and neither Iida or Tokoyami really did that. They attacked quickly and without hesitation, and if their initial gambits hadn’t worked, I’m sure they would have gone hard. They just didn’t need to, and looked all the more impressive in front of the pro heroes for it.

Though you are right that odds-on favorites get treated differently. After all, if you accurately anticipate how much force you’ll need to beat them, it’ll probably be all of it—or more than you possess.

• June 11, 2017 at 8:52 amUrahara

Bakugo should win the final match , Ice doesn’t do well into explosions , and fire may not affect him as much as it affects other people

• June 11, 2017 at 11:31 amShinobuKawaii

Something I was hoping to see, but didn’t happen, was Izuku’s mothers reaction to the fight. I may have forgotten about it, but as far as I remember she doesn’t know that he has a quirk now, right?

I figured there would be an emotional scene of some sort to show here reaction, I’m not a manga ready but I hope that something like that does happen.

As far as the final fight, I’m not a manga reader but my guess is there won’t be a finish to it. I’m guessing the baddies are going to mess everything up somehow before the finish.

• June 11, 2017 at 12:41 pmStilts

Good point. I was assuming that she’d figured out that Izuku had some kind of quirk because otherwise, how the hell is he managing in this school so far? And with the exception of the obstacle race, he’s had to lean on it in the other competitions so far. Izuku didn’t seem worried about his mother finding out, even though she knew he didn’t have one before.

I definitely want to see this scene, though. I hope it comes. (No spoilers, manga readers.)

• June 14, 2017 at 4:53 amSnippy

This was addressed in the manga in around the same timeframe, so I’m not sure if the anime skipped over it or if it will come up later. Anyway, the explanation here is that Show Spoiler ▼

• June 11, 2017 at 3:09 pmRedRocket

As far as things wrong with hero’s the only one that I can think of that would put someone into a logical killing rage is bullying as kids those without quirks by those with them. Preferences that hero’s get might get an irrational envy reaction. Being a Hero is a high-risk job having some perks if appropriate. Heavy anti-capitalistic views might drive extremism but that is an illogical approach to what should be political action and peaceful protest. The Japanise arranged marriage system abuses are there and similar to honor killings in other cultures hard for authorities to deal with because of the refusal of family members to cooperate with police. The fact that the rich and powerful often can get away with more is in our society but by it’s self-has never gotten a terrorism response. It takes poor living standards and other oppressions for the hatred of the powerful to rise to violence. But this new villain does not sound sane so I doubt there will be much empathy as the villain’s views are probably way overblown.

• June 12, 2017 at 12:51 amStilts

You said a lot of things that make sense and also don’t matter a damn, in face of yer last sentence:

There’s the answer. It ain’t logical, and humans aren’t often logical, but this guy looks like he’s totally off his rocker. Even if he has some measure of a point, his response seems disproportionate, to say the least.

• June 15, 2017 at 8:31 amGuile

Luckily for Stain, being sane isn’t really a requirement for being a Villain.

All Might nails Shigaraki as some kind of overgrown man-child, but him and the gas man still pulled together dozens of smalltimers to go attack friggin’ UA. You don’t need sanity, you just need a charisma that radiates like heat.

• June 11, 2017 at 3:41 pmBigFire

It’s nice that they show All Might’s master and previous user of One For All ahead of schedule. This appearance didn’t happen until much later in the manga.

• June 12, 2017 at 9:14 amKiritsugu

Such appearance catapulted me into thinking that maybe he is somehow connected to the Hero Killer… Maybe even the same person.
      Yeah, I have a fertile imagination, but this seemed to me like a “Checkov’s Gun” hint.

• June 12, 2017 at 7:46 pmArgon85

Stain didn’t strike me as anti-All-Might, rather it seems like he admires All-Might and disdains all the other “false” heroes.

• June 13, 2017 at 11:47 pmuraraka

I got a feeling Midoriya’s quirk from his parents are sealed and one for all might unlock it so those quirks help Midoriya compensate for one for all’s punishment towards his body just like how Goku use blue to hold out kaio-ken.

• June 16, 2017 at 8:29 amlunascha

The bad guy Mr. Stain is the scariest looking villain yet in this show.. He actually kills with a blade!