Boku no Hero Academia – 28 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 26

Boku no Hero Academia – 27

OP3 Sequence

OP3: 「空に歌えば」 (Sora ni Utaeba) by amazarashi

「怪奇!グラントリノ現る」 (Kaiki! Guran Torino Genru)
“Bizarre! Gran Torino Appears”

Quirks are not tools.

Gran Torino (Ogata Kenichi) is a lot of fun. A good mentor is like a story shortcut, able to give their pupil exactly the lesson they need and blaze past what would otherwise be a long and bumbling path. Is that cheating? Totally, but as long as it’s used properly, I’m all for moving on past all the boring parts. A mentor can’t solve the character’s problem for them—Best Jeanist can’t take away Katsuki pride and rage, for those are obstacles Katsuki must surmount himself—but they can absolutely kick them down the road a bit faster. Which is what Gran Torino did for Izuku.

It’s obvious, in retrospect. Watching Katsuki fight is enough to make it obvious that quirks are not tools, but an extension of one’s own body. They’re not supernatural, they’re natural, which means they can be used in multifaceted ways. Thinking of them as called attacks (trope!) is limiting, because what they really do is make the quirky more effective in between the attacks, as Gran Torino did when he was bouncing off the walls. The trick is getting Izuku to realize this.

The key realization for me is that Izuku ≠ All Might. He’s a different person, which necessitates a different way of doing things. Compared to the natural Toshinori, who was able to do it normally from the start, Izuku has to learn it the hard way, but it also has to be his way. It reminds me of a quote:

“Way back in the 1940s there was a very, very funny man named Jack Benny. He was a giant star, easily one of the greatest comedians of his generation. And a much younger man named Johnny Carson wanted very much to be Jack Benny. In some ways he was, but in many ways he wasn’t. He emulated Jack Benny, but his own quirks and mannerisms, along with a changing medium, pulled him in a different direction. And yet his failure to completely become his hero made him the funniest person of his generation. David Letterman wanted to be Johnny Carson, and was not, and as a result my generation of comedians wanted to be David Letterman. And none of us are. My peers and I have all missed that mark in a thousand different ways. But the point is this: It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique. It’s not easy, but if you accept your misfortune and handle it right, your perceived failure can become a catalyst for profound re-invention.” -Conan O’Brien

Izuku is never going to be All Might. He won’t be able to do things in the same way Toshinori does, which is why they’re taught differently—Izuku through thinking, Toshinori by beating him the hell up. So the more Izuku tries to act exactly like All Might, the more he will fail. But that also means that Izuku has strengths that Toshinori does not, like analysis and prediction. Which, to me, is way more exciting. Rather than getting another All Might, Izuku will be an entirely different hero. That’s way cooler!

I liked the glimpses into what the other students were doing, especially Katsuki and the Hardening boys. Oh, and Mineta-kun, because hah! Serves you right, ya perv. Most surprising is perhaps Shouto, though, who went to his father’s agency after all. That and Stain’s rejection of the League of Villains has my interest piqued the most. Izuku will learn to control One For All better, this is all but assured. What these others do, though, is more uncertain.

Random thoughts:

• The new OP is pretty cool, but I really loved the ED. The music is cool, but it’s the sequence that gets me. It tells this awesome little alternate world story, it’s just like The Tower of Druaga OPs that I so enjoyed. I wish I could have included like 24 screencaps :X So cool!

My SECOND novel, Freelance Heroics, is available now! (Now in print!) (Also available: Firesign #1 Wage Slave Rebellion.) Sign up for my email list for exclusive content. At stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: I get it now!; Guardians of the Galaxy, Glee, & Firesign; That’s not supposed to go there . . .; and The Carcer Principle.

ED4 Sequence

ED4: 「だってアタシのヒーロー。」 (Datte Atashi no Hero.) by LiSA

July 9, 2017 at 1:43 am
  • July 9, 2017 at 1:56 amWarriorsHeart

The ending is charming, especially Prince Todoroki.

• July 9, 2017 at 9:14 amyoloalchemist

He felt like Iskander from Fate/Zero, only a bit angrier XD

• July 9, 2017 at 4:38 pmstarss

I was like “Where ALl Might??” Then they made him the power of fire inside Deku’s sword!! Genius!

• July 9, 2017 at 2:22 amUrahara

Wait , the way Tomura’s teacher is teaching him is very similar to what gran torino is doing

• July 9, 2017 at 10:26 amHanabira.Kage

Yep. That’s the point. It was made even clearer in the manga; the panel was split down the middle showing both Midoriya+Gran Torino, and the villains’ side of the events, with “Sensei”‘s line in a speech bubble right in the middle.

• July 9, 2017 at 2:04 pmCokebottle

Manga readers were pointing out parallels between the two of them since the invasion, but for some reason i’ve only seen it come up thrice with anime viewers.

• July 9, 2017 at 2:29 ambelatkuro

>My Hero Fantasia ED

Fund it please.

• July 9, 2017 at 1:38 pmStilts

Seconded

• July 9, 2017 at 4:39 pmstarss

Thirdeded.

• July 9, 2017 at 2:57 amHapop

I just binge-watched the whole series up to now in 3 days…this really feels like the next generation of great shounen anime!…and now I’m stuck waiting every week like the rest of you lol.

• July 9, 2017 at 3:12 amWorldwidedepp

Aye, Hero Academia is in my eyes better then their US counterparts.. But US are about to keep up (the Netflix series)

• July 9, 2017 at 3:07 amWorldwidedepp

In a way, our MC Hero here found the “coupling” section of a car.

The Engine is working constantly, and now he needs only some percent of its power

• July 9, 2017 at 3:10 amWorldwidedepp

arg to fast hitting Enter…
      aehm

until now, he used only the brute force of his Engine. In a way, start and stop the engine when he want to use his Quirk.

But now, his Engine is running constantly and he use some kind of coupling for the quirk force, without stop and start again

• July 9, 2017 at 4:23 amJJ

Do you mean to say the transmission? Until now he’s tried to vary the output (in this analogy that’d be the accelerator) but as he now knows it’s not sufficient to control what is a monstrously powerful engine. He has to learn to go through the gears to harness its full potential.

I appreciate your analogy by the way, I hope you don’t mind me adding to it.

• July 9, 2017 at 4:40 amWorldwidedepp

yes, Transmission. My translator tool gave me the name coupling for it. i should look for another one

• July 9, 2017 at 7:28 amAtsu

Did Izuku just used Saber’s Excalibur Move at the end of ED? LOL

• July 9, 2017 at 10:28 amHanabira.Kage

That was clearly a Stand. :p

• July 9, 2017 at 8:17 amyoloalchemist

Really felt like a great beginning of a new arc!
    I think, from now on, whenever I use my microwave oven, I’ll always be reminded of Izuku and his power, especially since the idea of microwaves helped him improve his control XD

Shouto though. That kid keeps surprising me. Now his joining his father’s agency is the result of his new found resolve.

• July 9, 2017 at 2:36 pmNitro

Judging by this pattern, all Izuku needs to gain a new understanding of his power and improve is to put various food items in microwaves. Eggs, taiyaki… what’s next?

• July 9, 2017 at 4:21 pmjhpace1

The road to greatness is longer for others, Grape-kun. And the Japanese have a long history of “assistant as menial labor”. Hang in there, you’ll get your turn.

• July 9, 2017 at 4:34 pmstarss

Gran Torino is basically Yoda with some kind of neurological disorder- he switches between happily senile and sharply serious in seconds, and sometimes the two overlap. He’s very entertaining to watch! The on-screen text indicated that his quirk functions through turbos attached to his legs and arms, making me believe they weren’t always controlled that way.

So all this time, our all-capable All Might has been a poor teacher eh? Figures his large, muscular body would take One For All much easier than Deku.

My girl Kendo is in her regular superhero suit, which is an oriental design. I wanna see her in action!

• July 9, 2017 at 7:43 pmBigFire

All Might have side kicks before, but never have to teach a newbie who haven’t gotten a professional license how to even get that far. Gran Tornio upheld his pledge to All Might’s predecessor into shaping up him up. Of course his training basically consisted of being a villain to All Might as the eventual opponent won’t be as lenient as his teachers are.

In a future arc Show Spoiler ▼

• July 12, 2017 at 3:28 pmlunascha

Oh, I like this new ending~
    It’s funny how he realized how to fully use his power from a microwave xD