« Inuyashiki – 10

Inuyashiki – 11 (END)

「地球の人たち」 (Chikyuu no Hito-tachi)
“People of Earth”

Asteroids, tales of redemption…and Donald Trump? Well I think there’s no denying Inuyashiki knows how to make the most out of a finale. Frankly I knew what was coming this week having spoiled myself a couple weeks earlier, but the results still left me smiling nonetheless. Say what you want about pacing troubles or ridiculous world-ending plot resolutions, but there’s something fun about watching all of Inuyashiki’s various pieces come together much the same way it started: with a bang. Plus we also arguably got the best impression of a President Trump responding to impending world doom, so there’s that.

I think I’m coming to love this current timeline of ours.

Final Impressions

When this season rolled around, Inuyashiki had to be the show I was most looking forward to. It was sci-fi, it had a sexagenarian lead, and came from none other than Gantz’ author. I would be hard pressed denying my excitement, and while I probably hyped it more than I should have, I’m quite content with the results.

The key for Inuyashiki is treating it as glorified popcorn entertainment. Popcorn entertainment with bite yes, but popcorn entertainment nonetheless. While the show features some remarkable development in regards to Hiro and features a surprisingly strong tale of humanity relating to Ichiro’s personal redemption, these elements are never the dominant aspect. Questions such as why Hiro was at the park in the first place, why Ichiro’s family had the sudden 180 in the last episode, or why Mari received fleshing out (but Takeshi did not) are never answered, replaced instead by shock-inducing scenes and some ingenious mass murder situations. It’s a story meant to visually awe and impress, using a set of increasingly outrageous thrills to patch over a noticeably thin framework and hide the shallow depths below. Much like the over the top summer blockbuster, thinking too hard here will only invite frustration, caring too heavily about the plot inducing annoyance. Inuyashiki is an imperfect story, but makes up for it in style.

Story issues aside, if there was a major problem with Inuyashiki it would be in animation and pacing. MAPPA has been a noticeable tear of late, but there’s no denying Inuyashiki (much like Shoukoku no Altair) has received the proverbial short end of the animating stick, using large amounts of CGI and featuring some hilarious visuals even by B-grade movie standards (and trust me, I’ve seen plenty *stares at his disaster movie collection*). The choice of CG makes sense considering the intricacy of Inuyashiki’s robots, but how it turned out will likely put off some expecting “better”, particularly for the action scenes. Moments of rushing too did not help Inuyashiki either, with certain developments barely touched on before the next big thing hit the screen. This was arguably most noticeable in the finale, but even elements such as Ichiro’s family featured throughout could have done with more screen time to help flesh out otherwise weak details. Hiro after all received significant development throughout, it would only be fair to provide Ichiro (the titular character of the show) and his family similar care and attention. Heck one additional episode likely would have been enough, if just to better buffer the change in Ichiro’s family following his mechanical reveal. Stories never need to answer every little concern (and some certainly provide too much detail), but the more they can give the better enjoyment the audience often finds.

While Inuyashiki is not the best thing since sliced bread, it arguably did the job it had to: entertain. Sure it may have been lacking in spots, but by hell was it never boring when it came to both action and catharsis, and definitely gave me the feels on a few separate occasions. The only thing holding it back is that it could have been so much more. Just a few more explanations, a little more character development, a better thought out (or paced) ending, simple additions like these potentially could have transformed this from just a good show into a great one. We probably will never know what Inuyashiki could have been with a little more elbow grease (depending on how the live action version turns out), but what we received here is more than enough to satisfy the appetite. Imperfect though it may be, Inuyashiki is at least deserving of a watch from anyone with the curiosity. One way or another, it’s a show that will not disappoint.

December 22, 2017 at 12:10 am
  • December 22, 2017 at 12:38 amReian

• December 22, 2017 at 12:39 amReian

President has spoken…

• December 22, 2017 at 12:49 amzztop

Trump had already been elected by the time Oku started his finale, despite the manga having started in Obama’s tenure.

• December 22, 2017 at 6:56 amNikki

Make Anime Great Again.

• December 22, 2017 at 5:41 pmLyfe

He’ll change his Muslim ban to include Cyborgs. ;)

• December 22, 2017 at 11:49 pmPancakes

He’s going to build that wall and make those droids pay for it.
        Not like Hiro has a problem getting the money after all :P

• December 22, 2017 at 6:02 pmornehx

I have live long enough. I even became president of this great land. I have no regrets.
      The rest of you losers can go do whatever the hell you want
      *trumps up* I mean *thumbs up*

• December 24, 2017 at 3:11 pmstarss

….

They didn’t JUST.

Hey Japan. You’re doing it wrong. You’re actually designing him to look handsome.

• December 22, 2017 at 1:13 amChris hall

• December 22, 2017 at 1:44 amtanz

>Death is what makes life precious.

So I read To Your Eternity recently that has changed my perspective on this…

But the manga really lost a lot of potential in the end. This was definitely a rushed ending…

• December 22, 2017 at 7:25 amBROOKLYN otaku

Felt the same way…. after binge reading entire manga, after watching 2nd episode i really felt No need to even watch the animated version.

Maybe it was the CRAP cgi?
      Maybe the shallow story?
      Coulda been that generic self sacrifice ending taste in my mouth?

Ultimatly it was totally forgetable in my opinion.

THANKS FOR COVERING THOUGH PANCAKES!

• December 22, 2017 at 11:50 pmPancakes

Glad you enjoyed it!
        The story was flawed, but I certainly enjoyed it for what it was. Not often we get stuff like this, especially sci-fi.

• December 22, 2017 at 4:04 amboingman

So was this the disappointing conclusion that so many manga readers complained about and hoped played out differently? It’s not that surprising?
    The CG was distracting when used for anything not machine, e.g. the CGI dog.
    I know that the mangaka likes to go for certain “realistic” chara designs, but I feel like some older one’s were exaggerated imo, for example his wife that didn’t look anything like her kids. Or the way he paints ppl in a bad light.
    Considering Inuyashiki as the main character of this story, the violent abuse of power by Hiro felt over the top, though in line with the mangaka’s previous works.
    A good series, worth a watch.

• December 23, 2017 at 12:08 amPancakes

I think the discrepancy between Ichiro and Hiro is mostly down to the difference in focus on both. Hiro received an oversized portion of time compared to Ichiro, and in spots really felt more like the main character than Ichiro. If Ichiro had similar development (particularly in making him a little less “pure”), maybe focusing more on his challenges with saving people, Hiro wouldn’t have been so divisive.

As mentioned Inuyashiki is easily good enough to stand on its own, it just could have been so much more with a few tweaks.

• December 22, 2017 at 4:31 amricz

Kinda disappointed with the ending…..I also forget that meteor lol

• December 22, 2017 at 11:52 pmPancakes

I can see why the author went this route, but it definitely felt like a cop-out. I’m not sure if it’s just the ending itself, or the speed it happened, might have played out better if it had been teased from the start for example.

• December 22, 2017 at 5:36 amOne Pinch Man

The ending song really enhanced the self-destruct scene. It felt more dramatic than in the manga. Not the best ending but I understand the message they want to tell to the audience.

• December 22, 2017 at 11:53 pmPancakes

Fully agreed, the soundtrack and music choice was on point throughout. Also that OP is still stuck in my head, to my chagrin lol.

• December 22, 2017 at 7:01 amChris

I liked everything about this anime except the ending. It was super until the last episode, which felt really weak for me.
    Not much the story itself, which could have been fine with both of them dying to save the earth but it wasn’t shown in a way that was emotional.
    I couldn’t care less about Mari, but the way it was shown in the previous episode you could feel Ichiro pain.
    Here instead the two main character die and I couldn’t care less, since it felt so rushed.

• December 23, 2017 at 12:02 amPancakes

Agreed, rushing was definitely the major problem, all Inuyashiki needed some additional time to give impact to a few of these developments and it would have made them hit the way they were supposed to.

• December 22, 2017 at 8:46 amDallas

Even though it appeared that the family neglected Ichiro, they still loved him. The manga fleshed out both Mari and Takeshi, but I guess since this was only 11 episodes that they had to take it out for Takeshi.

• December 23, 2017 at 12:00 amPancakes

I was wondering if Takeshi got some further development in the manga, it makes sense considering the brief focus he had here—thanks for confirming!

And yeah Ichiro’s family never stopped loving him, but the anime was hard pressed to show it at times. I mostly chalk it up to only Mari receiving any serious attention, it indicated how she still had an emotional connection to Ichiro, while the wife and Takeshi just sort of flipped a switch. More time was definitely needed to better get the feeling across.

• December 22, 2017 at 3:14 pmRenaSayers

LOL, if this final episode fails I will blame the russians. The Russians are corrupted the ending, them and Hillary.

• December 22, 2017 at 11:55 pmPancakes

Blame them for only giving us 11 episodes, it’s obviously an attempt to stop the show from revealing how to actually take down an asteroid :P

• December 23, 2017 at 8:58 amWorldwidedepp

The Budget for the right to copy “Armageddon” Action Movie ending with Bruce Willies was to expensive so they blow it up offscreen :)

• December 22, 2017 at 5:35 pmLyfe

If you haven’t watched them already, there’s a teaser trailer for the live action Inuyashiki movie that’s out April 20. Thought it was interesting that the same director behind the Gantz movies is directing this one. They weren’t too bad imo.

• December 26, 2017 at 9:47 amkoja

did they sort of censor Trump’s speech? Cause in the manga it is more…

• December 26, 2017 at 10:50 ammac65

The sad thing, for better or worse, is that
      appears how the world really sees Trump.

• December 26, 2017 at 12:28 pmLyfe

That depends on who you talk too. Conservatives love him, Liberals hate him. I find the whole toxic division between both sides a shame, but I doubt anything will ever change that. The world is more divided than ever these days.

• December 28, 2017 at 1:32 amAmonymous0

Now they need to redo Gantz now that the manga has been complete for a couple of years now

• January 4, 2018 at 6:56 amKF