BEATLESS – 02 »« Hakyuu Houshin Engi – 01

Ryuuou no Oshigoto! – 02

「弟子のいる日常」 (Deshi no Iru Nichijou)
“A Day with The Disciples”

God I love this show – except when it tries to force the whole loli part down our throat. Please Ryuuou, you don’t have to do it to make this show great!

General Impressions

Starting things off on the more serious side, let’s dive into a short conversation about the Ryuuou himself. As the titular character of the show, I’m rather surprised just how well rounded and down to earth this guy is. Seeing how he’s a successful shogi professional who holds the highest title in the entire league, it’s been quite refreshing to see him make thoughtful and downright smart decisions. From sticking up for Ai when he had her mother about to rip his throat out to changing up his playstyle and changing his train of thought now that he had someone looking up to him, it’s a shame we don’t get more main characters like Yaichi.

The reason I brought him up though, was just to touch on how even though we’re only two episodes in, it’s clear that it’s not just Ai who’s learning from those around her. Using his post-victory scene as a prime example, it was great to see the overanalytical Yaichi see that his predictions about what would happen be wrong. That said, I can’t fault the guy for being concerned about his public appearance since he’s in such a unique position that probably draws more attention than it normally would. Perceptions aside, it was great to see Yaichi get a quick payoff for listening to his gut which hopefully in-turn leads to even more small but rewarding moments like this.

Switching gears for a second, let’s talk about the elephant in the room – all the focus the story gives to those adorable girls. A fact that in itself doesn’t really mean much, but when grouped with the term loli or lolicon turns into something a lot worse than it is. First, I don’t have an issue with how the story is handling itself. With most of the situations being pretty tame and the mere fact that Yaichi couldn’t care less about what’s going on (since nothing is going on), it’s simply younger characters getting the opportunity to interact with older ones. However, what I do have a tiny complaint about is how hard the story will try to throw Yaichi into these messy situations. With a majority of the situations being fueled by Ginko going above and beyond the call of duty to make situations worse than they need to be, I really don’t like how she always seems to leap to conclusions without even giving Yaichi a moment to explain what’s going on. Sure, you also have moments like when Ai decides to describe her training experiences using the worst wording possible, but that you could chalk up to an overenthusiastic girl trying to convince their stone-cold parents. Hopefully the story eases up on some of these shenanigans though since they’re sure to grow really old, really fast.

Overall, a pretty darn good second episode. With more characters slowly being introduced and a new mini-boss for Yaichi and Ai to overcome, I can’t wait to see just what happens when Ai takes on some higher level opponents. Anyways, I’ll catch you guys next week where we’ll hopefully get to see Ai crush some opponents while Yaichi watches with pride as his student tries to prove herself. See you then!

ED Sequence

ED: 「守りたいもののために」 (Mamoritaimono no Tameni) by 伊藤美来 (Itou Miku)

January 16, 2018 at 11:40 pm
  • January 17, 2018 at 12:03 amMister V

• January 17, 2018 at 12:38 amzztop

The lolis are just reader bait, the true meat is the shogi matches.

That said, I’d advise these writers to watch the loli use, even if they really like it, lest it starts growing into RL underage stuff. Like what happened to Rurouni Kenshin’s creator, just as he was starting a new Kenshin arc too.

• January 17, 2018 at 1:16 amBeedle

Kinda like how the parents intervened– because letting their little girl run away from home to live with some random teenager is just all sorts of bad parenting.

Which makes me wonder about the even littler Char…

Also, weekly reminder that this anime is trash and so are we!

• January 17, 2018 at 3:06 amAngelus

Even without knowing at the time that Ai’s seiyuu also played Black Bullet’s Enju, the being caught “in flagrante” by Ginko scene and the “we were at it all night” misunderstanding felt to me like they were both straight out of Black Bullet.

• January 17, 2018 at 3:08 amAngelus

Oh, I forgot to mention that Char’s seiyuu was Midori in BB too ;_;

• January 17, 2018 at 5:42 amJeffers

i hear FBI knockin on my door… this anime is dangerous… but good.

• January 17, 2018 at 6:45 amPeanutbutter

Char is dangerous. If that’s not a weapon of moe destruction I dun know what is.

• January 17, 2018 at 8:21 amDmonHiro

“you don’t have to do it to make this show great”
    I respectfully do not agree with you.

• January 17, 2018 at 3:52 pmyodad

ya the loli gig is a bit overused but this show is strangely entertaining and its one of my fav of the season so far

• January 17, 2018 at 5:56 pmRedjuice Fan

so this show is about shogi?

• January 17, 2018 at 11:56 pmSMinstrel

No, it’s about loli.

• January 18, 2018 at 12:22 amtanz

Aww, just got into this show and I guess it’s not a Hikaru No Go.

• January 19, 2018 at 3:43 amSMinstrel

Evidently not. Apparently this one is more “grounded in reality” so to speak, as in it reflects how the real-life shogi scene works more closely. Lolis like Ai can be considered late starter in the Shogi world, so while the moe-selling intention is very clear, it does not stretch believeability.

• January 18, 2018 at 9:19 pmVaans

I’m watching this for the Shogi I swear!

• January 20, 2018 at 11:38 pmTepoc

“you don’t have to do it to make this show great”

Let’s be honest, if the lolis were swapped for old male characters nobody would watch it.

• January 24, 2018 at 6:19 amMilfHunter

*FBI knocks on the door after I watch this*
    Me: Ain’t done nutin wrong.
    FBI: Oh, just wanted you to send us a Crunchyroll guest pass.
    Me: Use this, expires jan 27, 2018. 96BUGFM9Q49