Boku no Hero Academia – 40 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 38 (END)

Boku no Hero Academia – 39

OP Sequence

OP4: 「ODD FUTURE」 by UVERworld

「ゲーム・スタート」 (Geemu Sutaato)
“Game Start”

This episode was mostly a recap, or more a reminder of the high points of the first two seasons. It didn’t go through sequence by sequence, nor did it even go in order, it just hit all the major plot points or character moments to remind us that they happened. If you haven’t seen HeroAca before, this wouldn’t be a substitute, but for those (wise, intelligent, beautiful) people who already have, it’s just a quick reminder. Hit the big notes to trigger our memories. Done!

As far as actual new content, it basically amount to two gags and the swimming content. Not that the gags were bad! I laughed out loud more than I have at some actual comedies, not the least because, though Kaminari and Mineta were disappointed, we were not. Hah! (And for the other half of the human population, also not disappointed.) The competition was mostly an excuse to bring up more reminders of the previous seasons, but I did get a chortle out of Izuku being the only one who actually swam. About the only thing I can poke fun at from the episode proper were the long, shounen glances between Izuku, Iida, and Shouto, and the implied telepathy that was going on.

Other than that, the OP and ED are good. I like the OP more myself, since the music fits the tone of the series better, but I think the ED actually has better visuals (even if the music seems a mismatch). Good stuff! The real action, though, will begin next week.

Random thoughts:

• Loved how Izuku’s quirk is just called “Super Power.” At least the secret is being somewhat kept.
  • Does Iida-kun rust?

My SECOND novel, Freelance Heroics, is available now! (Now in print!) (Also available: Firesign #1 Wage Slave Rebellion.) Sign up for my email list for updates. At stephenwgee.com, the latest post: Book 3 Progress Report.

ED Sequence

ED5: 「アップデート」 (Update) by miwa

April 7, 2018 at 8:33 pm
  • April 7, 2018 at 8:55 pmOne Pinch Man

• April 7, 2018 at 8:58 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

Rating from left to right.

3-2-6-5-4-1

She’s practically in all hentai doujins and we don’t even notice.

• April 7, 2018 at 9:48 pmchimp

Well if we’re rating:
      1-2-3-5-4-6

No joke, invisible girl is duking it out with froggie on my Waifu list. She certainly filling out that swimsuit. Go ahead, judge me!

• April 8, 2018 at 4:35 pmjhpace1

Creation Girl for the win.

• April 7, 2018 at 9:13 pmTFL

I feel like the op might have low key dropped fuel for one of the biggest theories about Dabi.
    Also found it slightly weird that 5% Full cowl Izuku could beat Izuku while swimming, when Iida was not only “running” abivr the water and activated Recipro burst, but that is a nitpick and honestly it is meant to be just mindless fun so oh well

• April 8, 2018 at 4:57 pmStilts

To be fair, Iida was having to balance really carefully too, which I’m sure slowed him down. If he was just running though, Izuku woulda been smoked.

• April 7, 2018 at 9:20 pmzztop

25 eps confirmed for Academia S3.

Academia’s also getting a full length movie with an original story, The 2 Heroes. Premiers this 3rd August 2018 in Japan.

(Unless immediate foreign release is confirmed, expect an unofficial 2019 release on the internet.)

• April 7, 2018 at 9:23 pmhjerry

This was bad. Even as recap episodes go, this was bad. Crap like this should really be an episode 0, or episode .5. Don’t make it episode 1, and just waste everyone’s time, when they’re tuning in to see new stuff. Have to say that I hated the new OP too, so I’ll be skipping that each week. This started on real low note for me, not awful, just pointless and forgettable, especially when I’ve developed such high standards for this show.

Looking forward to next week, when hopefully things look to get back on track.

• April 8, 2018 at 12:37 amKabble

You’ll be fine this was popping.
      The only reason anyone is upset is because they wanted to be thrown right back into anything, not because the recap was bad.
      We all know the rest of the season is about to be super hot fire nonstop.
      One recap won’t kill you, surely not as episode 1/25

• April 8, 2018 at 12:50 pmhjerry

I’m not upset. It was just a waste of time, and for the record, yes, yes this recap was bad, and I’m not alone in thinking that. Aizawa listing off every single hero in the class and their quirks off of a sheet was painful. I actually got a little excited when he got to class B, as that would have at least been something somewhat different, but to no avail. It was just a poorly executed, lazy recap, plain and simple.

Again, not angry, just a waste of time, skipped the recap stuff, finished the episode quick, and looking forward to next week.

• April 8, 2018 at 5:25 pmKabble

‘It’s just a waste of time’
        It’s a recap, that’s such a redundant thing to say, lol.
        Recaps are intended to be wastes of time. I know it, you know it, the creators know it.
        As I said, you’ll be fine. Complaining about this is more of a waste of your time lol.
        And I guess this was a bad recap? It really just sounds like an unfortunate case of impatience, sorry lol.

• April 7, 2018 at 10:08 pmBambi

Personally love the op even though I know a lot of people feel the opposite. Haven’t heard a new UVERworld song in a while, and it’s what a real shounen op feels like to me, like reliving the Bleach days haha.

• April 8, 2018 at 12:22 amShadow074

Me too. This really good song. I know there may be better songs, but this is not bad to start the season. When everything gets serious, it would be good if they changed the song in tune to the mood. Speaking in terms of very good production.

• April 8, 2018 at 1:55 amStilts

Same here. I dunno if UVERworld is good (I’m not a music guy; I really only understand music at all if I can link it to some kind of narrative), but they always feel like shounen to me. It could not be the best, but it just feels like this kinda thing. Works for me.

• April 8, 2018 at 7:46 amyoloalchemist

Not my favorite OP of MHA, but definitely a good one. I like it too. We should always listen to it with headphones.

• April 7, 2018 at 11:29 pmTenryuuVan

The visuals on the opening were great, really wasn’t feeling the song though. Probably will grow on me as the season goes on.

• April 8, 2018 at 12:42 amKabble

That final shot in the OP of Deku standing up tall with All-Might was powerful.

• April 8, 2018 at 2:02 amWorldwidedepp

• April 8, 2018 at 2:53 amHalfDemonInuyasha

I wouldn’t complain. They’re still smoking in those pool uniforms, lol.

• April 8, 2018 at 6:05 amNaweGR

“You’re fine with anything?” – directly from the episode…

• April 8, 2018 at 2:06 amWorldwidedepp

are these Bunnys in front of the Giant female and easter egg of this group?

hehe,, you surprised how much i know things? :)

• April 8, 2018 at 4:45 amTFL

Not to give too much away but all the heroes in that picture will be appearing within the first half of this new season, including those “bunny girls.” Show Spoiler ▼

• April 8, 2018 at 10:18 amfvd

The JEAN guy in the middle

• April 8, 2018 at 3:11 amBlue

It took me a while to get used to the OP, but I quite like it now. I wasn’t a fan of it at first, and I still feel like the music is cut strangely. I’d normally expect the last five seconds where the beat ramps up to come at the mid-point of the OP and last for longer, but instead it ramps up right at the end and then trails off just as suddenly.

• April 8, 2018 at 7:44 amyoloalchemist

I bet that’s an invitation to check out the full version.

• April 8, 2018 at 6:45 amKurik

I nice little reminder episode which hit on the high points of before and setup for the real fun next week. I have something else to look forward to weekly now. Yes!

• April 8, 2018 at 7:00 amBROOKLYN otaku

Ahhhh RECAPS the bane of ANIME. that, and TRASH CGI.

• April 8, 2018 at 7:42 amyoloalchemist

I tell ya, Hagakure is the most intriguing participant in a beach episode XD

• April 8, 2018 at 9:42 amstarss

It’s getting a tad annoying that they’re separating the boys from the girls in all these activities. Then again, I gotta remember these are teenagers, and they don’t yet grasp how to effectively see past their hormones and act natural around the opposite sex. Girls always start out hanging out with other girls, same with the boys, and part of growing up is learning how to deal with your feelings.

The girls still looked FINE in those blue school swimsuits anyway! But they look great in anything.

• April 8, 2018 at 5:00 pmStilts

In this case, the “they” that’s separating them is the students themselves. They weren’t separated during the tournament, for example. The administrators don’t care, but the girls do like to hang out with just other girls once in a while (nothing wrong with that), and the boys were there to train, so it makes sense that they’d think of competing first. Of course, they coulda asked the girls if they wanted to compete too, but that’s a minor gripe imo.

• April 9, 2018 at 2:09 pmKyuubirocks

How buffed up is Deku getting. He is definitely the one whos changed the most physically out of all the others in class A.