Claymore – 13 »« D.Gray-man – 37

Random Musings – Claymore Edition

With all the clamor over Claymore I’ve been hearing and reading about in these past few weeks, I finally got enough free time to pick up the manga again and see why everyone seemed to like it so much. I had watched the first episode of the anime a while back, and at the time, it didn’t seem good enough to warrant me dropping D.Gray-man or DEATH NOTE. After blazing through the first 7 volumes of the manga in a few hours, I think I’ve finally started to understand what everyone is talking about. I felt that the beginning of the story wasn’t great, but it really got good once the Teresa arc started, and the rest of it just kept me reading. It also, of course, got me very interested in the anime.

In many ways, I think Claymore is the quintessential shounen-style show based on the principles of friendship, effort, and victory that series from Weekly Shounen Jump are known for (before anyone asks, yes, I do realize that Claymore originally started in Monthly Shounen Jump). Jaalin likes to think of it as a supercharged version of Bleach. Now that’s in no way a bad thing since these types of series are very entertaining to read and watch, and Claymore adds a distinctively darker and more violent feel. In fact, I was quite surprised at how freely limbs get chopped off and people lose their heads – it makes the violence in Bleach look quite tame in comparison.

For those of you who don’t care about anything I just said and want me to get to the point: Yes, this does mean I am going to be blogging Claymore. I’ll be replacing D.Gray-man in the schedule with it on Tuesdays for all of summer season until Claymore ends. Truthfully, if D.Gray-man hadn’t become a chore to watch and blog due it being stuck in anime-original mode while the manga had such an awesome story going, then I wouldn’t have even considered doing this. But the fact is that it did become like that for me, so this wasn’t too hard a decision to make once I got hooked on the Claymore story. I’ll be starting on Tuesday with episode 13, and I look forward to Ophelia’s upcoming battle with Clare.

June 24, 2007 at 11:02 pm
  • June 24, 2007 at 11:05 pmsealouse

Yes yes yes. Thank you.

• June 24, 2007 at 11:08 pmSlade

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• June 24, 2007 at 11:09 pmYhamm

Good choice!
    I’ll gladly read you review on claymore, and also a good choice to “drop” d.gray man :p

• June 24, 2007 at 11:13 pmGStrike-

• June 24, 2007 at 11:14 pmSlade

actually a thought came after the victory dance…

I kinda lost sight of claymore in the first few episodes, just thought it wasn’t really going anywhere story wise. Then perchance I picked up again in the middle of the Teresa arc and my jaw dropped. I think I and many others had the same reaction if they refound Claymore in which where the hell did this “interesting” story come from…?

After the slashers, I got really intrigued and dived into the manga in one night. It’s what Bleach and Naruto have been lacking as far as shounen’s go: an interesting and cohesive story.

The manga thus far makes me feel like even if the lead character’s “goal” is solved, the world and all it’s problems are far from over. I’m loving how refreshing the road blocks and detours they face, unlike Bleach where it’s like deja vu again. Even Naruto has fallen into that spiral where the end doesn’t feel close. At least with this, it seems like there is an end in sight, it’s just it’s complicated but progressing.

• June 24, 2007 at 11:17 pmSand

finally.yahhhhh=)=)=)
    Is good to hear that you are blogging Claymore.

• June 24, 2007 at 11:20 pmRingtails

42 thumbs up!

• June 24, 2007 at 11:29 pmNaakay

Looking forward to seeing your reactions to the future part of this rather awesome series =).

• June 24, 2007 at 11:29 pmmonkey sanchez

I’m sooooo happy that you enjoy Claymore and very glad that you will be taking your time to post it. because i will take my time to read it…

but about D.Gray-man I guess I can’t say anything seens whatever I say is not going
    to change your mind….

Can’t wait to read your review on Claymore

• June 24, 2007 at 11:37 pmpokkai

yay.. thats good.. i started reading the manga (up to vol. 11) after ep. 9 cause it was so entertaining. now it’ll be easy for me to return to the anime since youre blogging it. :D

• June 24, 2007 at 11:42 pmyeah

this is great news to me

• June 24, 2007 at 11:43 pmBatt!tz

yayyyyyyy omni :D

• June 24, 2007 at 11:43 pmAllen Walker

Please Don’t “drop” D.Gray Man =(

• June 24, 2007 at 11:44 pmpokkai

yay… thats good… i was watching the anime and it was soo addicitive i had to read the manga. now im at vol. 11 and dont feel like reading anymore cause studying for exams made me lose interest so it’ll be easy for me to get back into the anime since youre blogging it! thanks.

• June 24, 2007 at 11:48 pmMantis

Ahh right when DGM started to get back onto the manga storyline too… Oh well.

• June 24, 2007 at 11:53 pmName goes here

I went through the same thing you did. I heard good things about both the anime and manga so I breeze through few volumes to see what’s the hype about. Lo and behold, I was hooked and pounded through the manga and now on to the anime just to see if it is as good as the manga. I stopped watching D-Grayman a while back so no loss there if there’s no blog for it.

• June 24, 2007 at 11:54 pmkeith

yeah, really…DGM sucked with the fillers, but it is returning to its original manga storyline. You should ATLEAST blog it for 2 more weeks ( til ep. 39) because thats the end of the 3rd season. Really…

But i am glad claymore is coming on RC. I wish you blogged from Ep. 1 though

• June 24, 2007 at 11:59 pmKarasuhebi

Glad you’re picking up CLAYMORE, but I’m kind of sad you’re dropping D.Gray-man. Now am I going to know when D.G goes back to the manga story so I can watch it? =(

-Karasuhebi

P.S: Weekly Shounen Jump Wikipedia link is wrong. You added an extra quotation mark at the end of it.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:03 amSaviour

+5 for announcing to blog Claymore. +3 for dropping D.Grayman. -23 for the current rankings of Claymore and Nagasarete Airantou. +1 for the new poll of Gurren Lagann. GL is an acquired taste, definitely not mine.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:07 amIori

You’re choice is right, Omni.
    I was really expecting to read your reviews about Claymore and finally we’ll get to see them.
    See you next Tuesday!

• June 25, 2007 at 12:13 amVaris

Yessssssss good to hear you are blogging this!

• June 25, 2007 at 12:15 ameluci

this really is for the better, D.Gray is alright but the manga is far better.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:25 amBlah

Claymore rulz, D gray man is getting boring

• June 25, 2007 at 12:36 amDarklord

You made the right choice!

This is probably the best show currently airing and last week’s poll supports it(even Gurren Lagann cannot catch up with it).

I too was unimpressed by the first four episodes and had dropped the show, but once by chance I just decided to watch one of the battle episodes in the Theresa arc and I was literally stunned. Amazing visuals, music and storyline!

After that I just had to read the manga to see what is going to happen afterwards and I could not resist until the end. This show is really that addictive. Even though I know what is going to happen next, I am still eager to see all the upcoming battles animated, since Madhouse is really doing an amazing job. I hope they keep it up.

I am not at all sorry about you dropping D Gray Man, since that show got boring a long time ago. It started off good but declined steadily, which is the exact opposite to Claymore.

I look forward to reading your reviews!

• June 25, 2007 at 12:38 amzetsumei

Nice! Claymore is too awesome. Especially the manga. I think that’s where most people got hook and couldn’t stop reading the manga too; When the reader reaches the Ophelia’s arc everyhing just get better and better.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:41 ambrian

Awesome news. I look forward to reading your reviews.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:44 ambanzemanga

lol. Same here, i loved the manga so much that i spent the whole day and night reading it. Too bad that the releases of the manga is monthly.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:54 amPuck

Finally!! The truth is that DGray-man anime is getting too boring thanks to the the fillers, the manga is much better.
    Good choice Omni :)

• June 25, 2007 at 1:03 amNyte-sama

Kind of a shame to drop D.Gray-Man, but I suppose the fillers just got too much.
    Though, I’m curious about what’ll happen it it ever gets back on track?

• June 25, 2007 at 1:11 amDEATH

Agreeing with everyone else, Gray-Man was get- was boring and Claymore is better. Can’t wait to read you reviews!

• June 25, 2007 at 1:29 amJenny

Hi,
    Claymore has alot more substance than some of the animes. Did you catch the latest episodes where Ophelia cuts of Claire’s legs ? That’s gory, but i like the way it turns out ! DGM is not that bad. Perhaps you should drop HAYATE and some other kiddo animes instead….
    Above is just my view…no offence intended. :p

• June 25, 2007 at 1:57 amTimoshi

imma at episode 11 :P

• June 25, 2007 at 1:57 amDavwon

Nice ^_^
    can’t wait for your blog.

• June 25, 2007 at 2:07 amYue

now theres another blog i can look forward to

• June 25, 2007 at 2:09 amBomber D Rufi

Ah well its your blog and therefore your choice, though i hope you could at least do two more weeks of DGM at least until the New ED begins. I like your high quality rips of new OP/ED when they premiere…and no one else does that. But again your choice, though i haven’t really watched Claymore.

• June 25, 2007 at 2:12 amTimoshi

im in love with Clare

• June 25, 2007 at 2:27 amYuri Rocks

Woohoo!

Thanks Omni. I was hoping that this anime would find a way to sneak back into contention for weekly blogging.

• June 25, 2007 at 2:43 amOmni

Bomber D Rufi, if you really want ED or OP rips once they air, email me and I’ll set you up.

• June 25, 2007 at 2:53 amBee

Great news, thank you Omni

• June 25, 2007 at 3:09 amFuruba

Sweet, just saw 12 this morning (at 3am ^^;), can’t wait till 13s review ^___^

• June 25, 2007 at 3:28 amAnonymooo

Claymore is basically Berserk Lite. Glad you’re enjoying the series and I look forward to its blogging.

As for the Gurren-Lagann poll? It’s ONE PIECE + MECHA – WATER. Really now, how can that be anything but absolutely amazing?

• June 25, 2007 at 3:38 amSyaoran Li

Good choise Onmi

• June 25, 2007 at 3:54 ammutio

The manga is awesome, the series isn’t that good for me in comparisson. They Claymores look cuter in the manga.
    Read the Manga until the latest Chapter 73 and waiting now patiently for the next chap.
    The story is awesome, chracters are awesome. It has been quite a long time that I was hooked by a story that much, not to speak that Claymore is my first manga since a year.

• June 25, 2007 at 4:04 amAloneinVoid

alll i can say – yahhooo.

now on the serious side: I got really disappointed on how dgayman anime was handled…Comparing to the quality of manga, dgrayman anime was total disapointment. im very glad that it is being replaced by better show

• June 25, 2007 at 4:08 amHiromotion

its a good thing u blogging claymore … now im waiting chapter 74 of claymore manga i cant wait to see miata fight wif galatea

• June 25, 2007 at 4:12 ammutio

I’m curious how they are gonna end the anime. Since the manga is far away from being over and the series will have 26? episodes. Hope they’ll wait for a second season. I remember Chrno Crusade which totaly messed up the ending cause the manga wasn’t finished by that time.

• June 25, 2007 at 4:23 amTetsuei

whoo!!!

• June 25, 2007 at 4:24 amida

OH YES! MOAR CLAYMORE!

• June 25, 2007 at 4:24 amida

OH YES! MOAR CLAYMORE! Galatea is pro. :D

• June 25, 2007 at 4:26 amRem~

Dear Omni,

Since DN is going to end, can i suggest you not to drop DGrayman =(
    Or even if you do drop it now, can i suggest u reblog once the filler end? =D

• June 25, 2007 at 5:03 amAloneinVoid

@mutio
    I guess it would be perfect to do, with Show Spoiler ▼

• June 25, 2007 at 5:34 amRefrainz

I’ll be looking forward to Tuesday’s blogging ( wednesday for me).
    After reading 72 chapters of claymore in a day or two, you realise you just read 6 years worth of material xD

• June 25, 2007 at 6:01 amShippoyasha

Let me say one thing, and it’s that while Claymore IS in a shonen magazine and sold as such, it could have easily been a seinen manga series as well.

And there’s something about the dark, twistedness of the demons that makes it pretty intriguing, IMO. And that’s a must for fantasy manga.

• June 25, 2007 at 6:58 amFreeze

Finally… D. Gray-man sucked even more then the naruto fillers, you cannot take that show seriously anymore, Claymore on the other hand is, and not only in my opionion, the best show this so far and definitly deserves your blogging

whatever, Thank you! :D

• June 25, 2007 at 7:07 amBROOKLYN otaku

DOCTOR GRAY MAN R.I.P!!!!!! read manga instead everybody!

• June 25, 2007 at 7:38 amSorrows.Grave

Finally! ahaks.. i felt the same way about how d-gray man was and how interesting and appealing Claymore became.. it’s a chore to finish up d-gray man to be honest and now its great the have omni blogging claymore ^^

• June 25, 2007 at 7:48 am`excil3

Yesssssss finally blogging the claymore ^_^

• June 25, 2007 at 7:55 amShinn Agami

One more reason for me to stick around :)

• June 25, 2007 at 8:02 amNisutora

Very good choice on Claymore, it was about time if you ask me!
    Considering how good the DGM manga was, i had high hopes for the anime adaptation…

Whats with the shonen shows these days? Naruto is a shadow of its former self, Bleach is in filler-land again and DGM is a watered down version of the manga.
    Madhouse shows how a manga adaptation should be handled with Claymore and Deathnote.

• June 25, 2007 at 8:09 amMitch

EXCELLENT!!!

• June 25, 2007 at 8:12 amChucky

I Agree, Claymore is realy good, Curent up to 12th Episode,

• June 25, 2007 at 8:47 amHighman

Finally, that you are blogging this series, good series, keep up with your blogging man.

P.S.
    Wanna get high?

• June 25, 2007 at 8:49 amheero

yehey your finaly posting claymore

• June 25, 2007 at 8:53 amBROOKLYN otaku

yall making me jeolouse!i wish i could read japanese,” let alone understand it” then i could enjoy claymore manga past chap 21 scanlation

• June 25, 2007 at 8:54 amheero

YESSSS

• June 25, 2007 at 10:32 ampan-chan

Yesssss ! I’m so happy ! Good choice Omni !

• June 25, 2007 at 10:59 amcbhl

A very nice choice. I look forward to reading your posts on Claymore. ^_^

• June 25, 2007 at 11:28 amheppy

yesh!! hahas.. i love the claymore anime.. didn’t pick up the manga cos i dunno wan to spoil myself with the story.. looking forward to episode 13 entry!

• June 25, 2007 at 11:42 amAzerothia

• June 25, 2007 at 11:53 ammelchior

Way to post tons of manga spoilers and not put any under spoiler tags. I’m glad I’m up to date with the manga before reading these comments.

To the various people who did that: Don’t be assholes. Be mindful of what you post or at least how you post it.

• June 25, 2007 at 12:05 pmmutio

Also noticed that, people use spoilers!
    @AloneinVoid:

• June 25, 2007 at 12:46 pmanimeaddict

I’m glad you are going to blog Claymore.

Thank you.

• June 25, 2007 at 1:04 pmHiromotion

from my opinion i think anime will till episod 26 i will dissapoint lol even no need to annouce. i think it will release 2nd season till the manga end on 26

• June 25, 2007 at 1:40 pmreith

yay, DGM sucked anyway
    Claymore ftw!

• June 25, 2007 at 3:01 pmJayars

Omni is one of us now…

• June 25, 2007 at 3:32 pmHavikx

yay, claymore >>>> d. grayman :P :D

• June 25, 2007 at 3:32 pmdxanato

I am glad you blogging Claymore but I also should thank you. I remember reading your preview of Claymore and I got hook then. I was disappoint you weren’t blogging it. Never the less I am glad you are going to start. I agree with other about Claymore getting people hook that they went on to read the manga. Now I am can’t wait for ep12 and chapter 74.

• June 25, 2007 at 4:01 pm8ghosts

this is a great move *thumbs up*

• June 25, 2007 at 4:31 pmCuppy

this show owns! great move ;]

• June 25, 2007 at 5:22 pmSeisouhen

Well waiting for berserk and claymore chapters isn’t good for my health :P

• June 25, 2007 at 5:33 pmanimeaddict

Where do you go to read the manga?

• June 25, 2007 at 6:24 pmquigonkenny

RL has conspired to limit the time I have to watch anime recently, and I’ve got the last two or three DGM subs downloaded and haven’t watched them yet. However, the last few Claymore subs have been watched as soon as they downloaded. That should tell you all you need to know about how I feel about this decision. I still enjoy DGM, and definitely plan to catch back up soon, but of course, I haven’t had my expectations raised by reading the manga.

Since you’re picking up the series midstream, is there any possibility of getting a recap post, getting us up to episode 13? Not that anybody hasn’t already seen them, judging by the response to this post, but just to get your take on some of what has gone before (like the Teresa Arc, hint, hint).

• June 25, 2007 at 7:01 pmterelildevil

Alright now i have a reason to come back and comment on this site, not that i didn’t before it just that there weren’t that many good shows out, anyway glad u decided to pick claymore up!!

• June 25, 2007 at 7:18 pmbob

anywere that i can actually find some claymore manga online?, by da way u started this the same day i finished the latest ep lol

• June 25, 2007 at 8:27 pmAnnabelLee

Yeeeessss!!!!

• June 25, 2007 at 8:45 pmSanjana

Thank you Omni, I’m also a fan of Claymore so I’m very happy you’ll blog it ^^
    **big hug**

• June 25, 2007 at 9:00 pmPhantomMiria

Claymore is the ish! Glad you’ve decided to blog it. It’s been my favorite manga for a long time now, and just got started watching the anime. Looking forward to your blogs :)

• June 25, 2007 at 9:17 pmNinjiKiran

Claymore was like fine wine, it took a little while for it to kick in, thats why I usually wont give up on an anime till about halfway or so in.

• June 25, 2007 at 11:11 pmpt

wow. talk alot but good in a way. ty for posting claymore cause no one want to wait that long to no what happend but if ppl read manga than it doesn’t really bother them. i wonder if u no this but y all episode came out on thursday. for example: naruto shippuuden, death note, claymore, bleach,and other that i don’t no.

• June 26, 2007 at 2:27 amlayla

omg yes yes yes this awesome i love u omni-san ^_^

• June 26, 2007 at 3:47 amBrian

finally a review on claymore! things gotten better for claymore since episode 10. in fact the fun part already begun at episode 8. i have to admit that claymore failed to give a first good impression but the story gotten better as it progressed.

• June 26, 2007 at 5:39 amTyper

YES! +1 for Omni!! D-gray Man anime looked incredibly bad. Blogging Claymore = Worlds better! ;D

Claymore manga just officially stole no.1 spot from Naruto. Naruto just doesn’t seem that good anymore. At least compared to Claymore’s greatness! :D

• June 26, 2007 at 8:36 amcoco

Hey author, i sent u email to check my review at Cococokie’s Jar, hope you read it. ;)

• June 26, 2007 at 10:23 amBROOKLYN otaku

WHOOPS, just found where to get my fix , vol 1-13 can be found at @DEMONOID, but i warn yall…it’s like eating cake before dinner

• June 26, 2007 at 12:29 pmBomber D Rufi

I e-mailed you Omni. Thanks for your offer.

• June 27, 2007 at 5:04 am41nano

I still haven’t watched it yet, but with even you watching it, i guess i should start.

• June 27, 2007 at 7:29 pmNyte-sama

oh, what a shame. Next week, D.Gray-Man is gonna get back on track with the manga, it looks like.

• June 29, 2007 at 5:38 pmStrikerK

Claymore rocks. Awesome name, sexy girls, great story… ridiculously good action. It’s deliciously drawn too. The classic sounds and vibe of Berserk, the sweet clashes of swords and the tearing of limbs. This series pulls no punches, and has the style and flair of a quality series. I hope it becomes my new weekly series for many months to come.

RIP Death Note, I f@#$($@ love you. Hello Claymore, let’s chat…

• July 3, 2007 at 5:21 pmjerry

wow d. gray-man 39 was awsome dasiya die by tikki just like the magna anyways i was just wondering if you can atleast blog like 5 more episido of d. gray-man please

ps: the new song was cool but all of it was about lenalee

• July 13, 2007 at 8:00 amTeresaHater

Many people like teresa. I hate her because she kicked little clare mercilessly. After that I never grown a liking to her her even though she changed to a better person and treat clare nicely.

I love the western awakened girl, called “rihuru”. She always show smile on her face, unlike all the other gloomy face claymores who have difficulty smiling. I hope she don’t turn into a villian.

I think the anime sucks in terms of arts. In the manga, Galatea is drop dead gorgeous, but the animator failed to draw a beautiful Galatea in the anime. Clare is the second most beautiful girl in the manga (in my opinion), and the anime also failed to draw a beautiful clare.

• Newer Comments »