Yutaka! Yui’s little sister is moving in with Konata~
She’s a real cutie, this one! She’s voiced by Hasegawa Shizuka, the same girl that does Yukino in Nagasarete. They’re similar characters in that they’re both the youngest of all the characters, both seem quite sharp yet inexperienced, and get pushed around and overall led astray by their legal guardians. Luckily for us, Yutaka is a much cooler character, probably because she’s very much her own person and not chasing after some idiot with a tendency to bleed profusely from his nose.
Yutaka makes good with Minami, a classmate of hers who is a good 5 inches taller and a whole lot quieter. Minami is voiced by Chihara Minori, and she sounds just like Nagato Yuki, albeit a bit more talkative and a bit less… alien. Still, Yutaka and Minami look great together – hopefully there will be more of them in future episodes!
How does Konata see her little cousin? Short. Gets sick easily. Really cute. Walking, talking, moe in the flesh!
Then, the fateful meeting with Kagami and Tsukasa.
“Ohh, I’ve heard a lot about you guys!”
“Oh really, what have you heard?”
Still other Yutaka snippets:
– She’s worried about not getting any boyfriends because she’s always sick and absent from school and too childish looking… “You’re doing Great!” says Konata
– What do you do with your middle school uniform? Kagami gave hers to a neighborhood girl. Konata has hers… for cosplay reasons…
– Yui shows up and wants to treat them all to booze!
– Shadowing Konata onee-san: she makes her own lunches! she’s great at video games! she’s got a huge communications network! she can do chores and cook as well! Konata-oneesan is such a complete person… unlike Yui-neesan the drunk, Yui-neesan the vicious driver, Yui-neesan the slacker.
Other happenings (thanks mewmew!):
– Getting preyed on by college phone recruiters. Miyuki’s mom is so bored at home, she just strikes up a nice conversation with one of them…
– Some talk about the position of the smoking and nonsmoking sections relative to the bathroom in a restaurant
– The Hiiragi family sits around the TV to enjoy an episode of Japanese Millionaire. Mr. Hiiragi is quite a lucky guy, with his hot wife and four cute miko daughters. Konata’s dad is probably off somewhere playing an eroge with the exact same setup.
– Lucky Channel 14: Akira’s bipolarity at an all-time high
edit: I just noticed that Yutaka uses different ribbons in her hair – a different color for every day of the week? 😀
Another live action Shiraishi ending – this time, he sings the epic song that started it all, with an ocean twilight backdrop and a fighting game foreground. Even the button sequences are listed. Wtf is going on!!
If there’s one thing I noticed about this episode, it was how colorful it was. I’m reminded of a Momotato caption for that loli anime Uta Kata where all the girls are standing in a line, their hair colors all different, the caption reading “taste the rainbow~” – that’s all I could think of this episode, lol.
Yutaka is a great character and a welcome addition to the Izumi household – I particularly liked the scene where the four were sitting around the square table just chatting away – you can’t play mahjong with 3 people! Maybe Yutaka will fill in that 4th character role that Miyuki never seems to have time to be. Either way, she seems completely at home with the rest of the girls and fits in real nice without disturbing any of the character dynamics. Minami is a bit too much on the generic side, but Chihara Minori is voicing her, so I’ll let that one slide.
As Lucky Star enters the second half of the season, things are really starting to fall into place!