Mouse over screenshots for captions
Wait, this again? Oh well, no complaints. It’s time for the second annual training camp, except this time they’ve got their spry new recruit with them. The episode starts off with a little cordial meeting between Ui and Azusa – they meet up at the wacdonalds and proceed to do what girls do best – talk shit about their friends – until Ritsu shows up and starts dominating the disucssion. Then, they head over to Ui’s house. Which makes me wonder, what were they planning on doing if Ritsu hadn’t shown up? Neither Ui nor Azusa seem like the frivolous shopper type, and two girls together don’t usually go watch a movie (at least not in anime), and while they could’ve gone to karaoke, they don’t seem like the kind of girls to just let loose and blare it out. I could see a quick trip to the batting cages, with Ui clapping on while Azusa gets all serious about hitting a 40mph fastball.
At any rate, they pack up and head to the beach, this time to a newer, larger location – but still not the large place Mugi was talking about last time. No marble beef this time, but some nice beach chairs and a freakin’ yacht were sent over, which got Mugi even more riled up than the first time. Ok, another pause here – Mugi has no problem talking about how crappy her gigantic summer villa is, but then goes crazy when there’s marble beef in the fridge, or a yacht in the bay? I don’t get it. Maybe she’s not old enough to understand real estate yet. They spend the rest of the afternoon doing what anime girls do at the beach – splashing around in the water while mindlessly tossing a beach ball around, making sand boobs, and otherwise showing off their extremely well planned and well designed swimwear and hairstyles. As usual, it’s very generic fare, but as usual, no complaints from me.
For some reason, they stop frolocking and go back inside to practice. While using one of her fancy schmancy tuners, Azusa discovers that Yui has perfect pitch, which continues to build the Yui mystique. Maybe she’d be even better with an LSD-soaked bandana.
Practice goes well, but then Ritsu gets hungry, so they head off to make some food. Mmmm food. Gonna go get a volcano burrito after this.
After dinner is some dinky fireworks, and then that damn kimo dameshi (test of courage) that happens in every anime. Except there’s no guys to
rape raep reap the benefits here. Some shadowy, not all that scary figure emerges from the bushes… it’s Sawachan-sensei. Probably should’ve gone with the girls in the first place, cuz they we might’ve been able to see part 2 of that Lucky Star Initial D race. Afterwards, bath scene with too much fog, and a sensei with itchy fingers.
And finally, a late-night practice session between Yui and Azusa. More hugging opportunities!
Up next on K-ON!: Told you not to sleep with the guitar…
This was just about the most generic episode possible, which is probably a good sign of things to come. Well, we’ve yet to see a “visit Mugi’s house” episode, but we’ve seen two summer villa episodes, so maybe it won’t happen. Here’s to hoping Mori-san is the head maid. At any rate, with all the generic stuff out of the way, there should be nothing left but straight up musical performances, right? Right??!
Repeating an episode doesn’t really happen all that much in anime, does it? I mean, we’ve seen this exact episode before, except this time with a new character. But the stuff they do is like exactly the same. I mean, the episode was enjoyable, but I hope this doesn’t set a prescendent.
Some other things:
– Mugi is quickly becoming the dark horse to be the best girl here. Mio’s been played out, Yui is too one-dimensional and her guitar talent seems unnaturally tacked-on to her character, we don’t see enough of Ui, and we see too much of Azusa. From her hilarious scene last week to her clear costume superiority during their first live, I gotta say, Mugi’s come on strong! Her hairstyle this week was <3
– Fetish flashes: I kinda noticed this in the earlier episodes, but by now I’m convinced – the director is some kind of master at pleasing everybody. I’ve already mentioned the amount of delicate hands and fingers we seen in this show, and now it’s clear that there’s at least a few feet and ankle shots every episode. Having Azusa be the only one with the super tan and not anybody else, even though Ritsu and Yui arguably spent the same, and perhaps more time in the sun shows that they’re trying to play the tanned loli girl card (previously seen in Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, etc). I’m sure there’s plenty more I haven’t caught on to yet.
– Yui continues to impress with her seemingly natural ability to own at guitar. I’m not sure what to think of this – I guess I was expecting her to practice real hard (which she might have, we just haven’t seen it until this episode), but that wouldn’t really fit with her character, so it’s kinda convenient to make her some kind of Japanese schoolgirl Yngwee Malmsteen. I wouldn’t know what perfect pitch is unless it hit me in the face at 100mph, but supposedly she’s got it, so that’s cool.
– I hate cutting onions. I have really sensitive eyes, so I really hate it.
– Their kebabs are poorly made. Assuming they eat it from top to bottom with no removal of pieces, having a piece of corn in there would just screw up the whole continuation, wouldn’t it? Corn takes so much longer to eat than the rest of it, so by the time you finish with the corn, the things under it are cold. BBQology 101, take it.
– I ask again, what the hell is the point of the test of courage without guys around? There wasn’t any sexual tension or anything. I mean, I realize the whole point was to scare Mio, and to that extent it was a rousing success, but damn, so much unrealized potential here.
– Not enough sensei. Or at least, it felt very tacked-on. It’s not the first time it’s happened (she showed up late to the Christmas party and totally messed with the flow then too), so I guess it’s intentional, but it still doesn’t feel right. Which wouldn’t be a big deal in most other anime, but this is a KyoAni production. It’s all about feel with them…
3 episodes to go, and uh… I wonder what kind of crazy shit Amae Koromo is gonna pull! Can’t wait can’t wait