Bleach – 273 »« Bleach – 271

Bleach – 272

Summary:
Renji, Chad and Rukia are still struggling against Rudobon and his endless army of underlings. Their combined attack fails to hit him, but Rukia finally manages to freeze his branches while he is talking. Yammy then suddenly shows up, smashing the frozen Rudobon. Back on the roof of Las Noches, Hollow Ichigo’s cero destroys most of Ulquiorra’s body. When he tries to deal the final blow, Ishida tries to stop him; however, Ichigo throws his sword through Ishida’s abdomen, apparently single-mindedly focused on protecting Inoue. During this time, Ulquiorra partially regenerates, and cuts off one of Ichigo’s horns, causing his hollow form to disintegrate. Back to normal, Ichigo asks him to cut off his arm and leg so they can finish the fight fairly, but because Ulquiorra’s organs are unable to regenerate, he starts to fade away. Ichigo refuses to finish him off and Ulquiorra again wonders about what the human “heart” is. He reaches out to Inoue, but before she can touch his hand, he turns to dust and is blown away by the wind.

Impressions:
Well, it looks like even Ichigo’s overpowered hollow form has an Achilles’ heel. Ulquiorra seems to know this was his weak spot, since he hit there instead of at the neck (or maybe he was just lucky). Either way, I give props to Ulquiorra for still being able to use Sonido and land a hit in after taking a super cero to the face. I still think he’s stronger than his rank indicates, but unfortunately now he’s dead. Oh well, at least he died standing. It’s a real shame he’s gone, since he was a very interesting character. I’m not ruling out the possibility of a miraculous return though =). As for Ichigo, his no-bullshit, single-goal mode was quite refreshing. As some people pointed out last week, his skin did indeed turn pure white, which reverted back after his hollow form crumbled. On a side note, this also brings up the question of why his hollow hole was filled (high speed regeneration as Ulquiorra pointed out), but his horn couldn’t be repaired. If the regeneration powers were part of his super hollow abilities (and I assume they were), why couldn’t his horns be repaired? I suppose it’s possible his hollow form used the last of its power to heal him, before disappearing.

All in all, the final scene was about as emotional as Bleach can get (though admittedly a bit cheesy). I don’t really think Ichigo should have asked Ulquiorra to cut off his arm and leg (all’s fair in war, even if war itself is not imo), it’s understandable he would want to prove that it wasn’t his consciousness in the hollow, since it was this same form which threw a sword into his friend’s stomach. And as for Inoue, she finally breaks down and wonders why she is so useless even after training hard. Although I have mentioned I found Inoue rather annoying, I felt sympathetic towards her here, since I can imagine how much it sucks to be the dead weight among your friends even after trying your best. And finally, Ulquiorra’s monologue on the heart brings up the fact that even we don’t really understand what the human “heart” or “soul” is (e.g. goodness or emotions).

Inside Las Noches, Rukia finally lands a hit in on Rudobon finally overcoming the 3 vs infinity disadvantage (though technically it’s 3 vs 1). Unfortunately they get their kill promptly stolen by Yammy. Bad luck for them; it won’t be an easy job fighting him.

May 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm
  • May 26, 2010 at 6:50 pmGiostz

Cant wait to watch

• May 26, 2010 at 6:57 pmlaur

“Unfortunately they get their kill promptly get their kill stolen by Yammy”
    tyyyypppoooooo. =]
    and i loved the part where ichigo was like “will save…will save…” he’s so cool in that hollow form!

• May 26, 2010 at 8:40 pmProoof

fixed

• May 26, 2010 at 8:47 pmlaur

yay. thanks Prooof. you’re awesome

• May 26, 2010 at 7:00 pmamado

the preview

anyway ichigo was foolish, you dont let the enemy cut your arm because you cut his, you win a battle by gaining advantage and not being even especially since ulquira’s release already defeated his bankai/hollow mask form.

• May 26, 2010 at 7:04 pmamado

I think they got too focused in the animation that they forgot to add cool background music to add more drama and excitement on the episodes which made me enjoy this ep less than before when the animation wasnt ‘great’.

oh before I forget, a bit of spoiler for next chapter(isshin unleashes a familiar move)Show Spoiler ▼

• May 26, 2010 at 7:25 pmconyo985

LOL! Bishonen Ichigo? http://randomc.net/image/Bleach/Bleach%20-%20272%20-%20Large%2021.jpg
    All joking aside this episode was just overly dramatic for me. The monologue was cringe worthy the show is getting more pretentious every episode.

• May 26, 2010 at 8:21 pmAznCoffee

Bishie Ichigo gets all the ladies. ;D

• May 26, 2010 at 7:37 pmcode fanboy

Say Proof, I think you should add the omake of this episode. It was pretty funny. Especially that part of the poorly drawn cartoon of Ishida.

• May 26, 2010 at 7:51 pmDa5id

Seconded.

Ishida: *iz ded*

Dad: How are you going to compensate me!??!

Isshin: Okay, you can have Ichigo when this is all over!

IshiDad: Damn right, I will!

• May 26, 2010 at 7:51 pmcode fanboy

I this the really dramatic part http://randomc.net/image/Bleach/Bleach%20-%20272%20-%20Large%2014.jpg It was interesting to hear how dedicated he was to Orihime.

• May 26, 2010 at 8:04 pmahelo

nice end to the arc i guess. some parts got way too cheesy but it wasn’t bad for a series like this.

• May 27, 2010 at 3:16 amkaineng

haha and I’m here thinking that the show of THREE espadas are MUCH BETTER than ONE espada… (ok two, can?)

• May 26, 2010 at 8:25 pmMegamiMiko

I thought it was the exploding failed Cero that took Hollow Ichigo out, not just cutting off his horn.

• May 26, 2010 at 8:37 pmProoof

that’s possible, though it makes Ulquiorra even more impressive still being able to stand in his state after taking a blast that took out super hollow Ichigo

• May 27, 2010 at 11:38 amMegamiMiko

Well he didn’t take it at point blank like Ichigo did, but yeah.

• May 26, 2010 at 8:49 pmAnon

Isn’t Ichigo a little cocky for asking to cut off his arms and legs so they can fight evenly? Ichigo my friend, you were never even on fair ground in the first place. What makes you think any part of this fight was or should be fair?

• May 26, 2010 at 8:58 pmDa5id

Not so much cocky as he is a FRIGGIN IDIOT.

• May 27, 2010 at 8:15 amEamon

If you noticed during this entire arc, Ichigo has completely lost his signature cockiness from the good ol’ days of Soul Society arc.

• May 26, 2010 at 9:15 pmKurtins

The following question is just for the guys who are reading bleach manga (since they are the only ones who could have the necessary information to answer it).

• May 26, 2010 at 10:07 pmamado

yeah and remember, he said aizen didnt know he had a 2nd resureccion so he could even be a vasto lorde

• May 26, 2010 at 10:51 pmJurkasz

No, I think Baraggan and Starrk are both stronger than Ulquiorra, even in his second release. Ulquiorra’s offensive powers are nothing more than speed and raw power, he probably couldn’t even touch those two if you think about what kind of powers they have.
      This fight was quite decieving because the way Ulquiorra pwned Ichigo gives you the impression that he is very strong (he beat the *beep* out of the main character after all), but in reality Ichigo is still much weaker than the most powerful captains. He can’t use hakuda and kidou and he’s bad at using the enormous amount of reiatsu he has. Probably this ultimate hollow form could stand on equal grounds with the likes of Kyouraku for example, but without that he’s still pretty useless.

On a sidenote I think Aizen did knew about Ulquiorra’s second release, because he just knows EVERYTHING. Peroid :D

• May 26, 2010 at 9:30 pmRika

Awesome fight in a long time. I waited so long for that fight to happen and I still can’t believe it’s over now. I’m going to miss Ulquiorra…you took my heart <3 with you too.

• May 26, 2010 at 9:50 pmquestionmark

Ichigo actually looks pretty good with his hair long.

• May 26, 2010 at 9:52 pmabe

correct me if I am wrong but when hollows are killed by shinigami don’t they just go to soul society in their original human spirit form. So Nnorita,Ulquiorra and all the other espada might just be chilling with no memory of their time as hollow. I doubt that will be touched upon in the future though. Anyway this fight didn’t let me down, Ichigo did though..”My hollow side cut your limbs off so you cut off mine.” Ichigo seriously needs to get over that mess. That hollow keeps saving his butt and he treats it like a burden. I would love to have a berserker living inside me and comes out only when I am getting my butt handed to me. Now the time has come for next few awesome battles with Stark, and Halibel. Barragan is kinda meh to me even with his badass release that is the most artistic realease of all the espada in my opinion.

• May 26, 2010 at 10:05 pmamado

your correct but only a zanpactou can purify a hollow and send it to soul society, if killed by a quincy, they turn into spirit particles and ulquiora was killed by a hollow so we dont really know if he became a plus or ashes(though I think he is ashes now).

• May 26, 2010 at 9:53 pmN

I feel bad for Inoue, too. However, if she says “KUROSAKI-KUN!!1″ one more time, I may have to hurt somebody.

• May 26, 2010 at 10:19 pmInoue

KUROSAKI-KUN!!1

• May 26, 2010 at 10:21 pmlaur

HAHA! KUROSAKI-KUN!

• May 27, 2010 at 8:18 amEamon

I think she says “Kurosaki-kun” more than any other word.

And she seems to have completely lost her baloon-brain personality. Wait, is that a bad thing? lol. She was funnier when her brain was still a baloon.

• May 27, 2010 at 9:42 amProoof

I liked airhead Inoue

• May 26, 2010 at 10:26 pmamado

just so you know, chapter 405 is out on mangastream.com

• May 27, 2010 at 2:42 amMichael Chandra

@Amado: Show Spoiler ▼

• May 27, 2010 at 3:36 amamado

yeah I know that but he looked way bigger(in the manga) or maybe its just my imagination…..

• May 27, 2010 at 3:14 amkaineng

wow now that ulquiorra is dead, we could just change the ichigo-channel to hitsugaya-channel, well with a hint of yami’s release would be great…

hmm soo looking forward to next episode… xD

• May 27, 2010 at 6:48 amGrant

I know, I know. They needed to keep the scenes from the manga and it couldn’t be cut out. Demanding that his arm be cut off is still one of the stupidest moments in this manga. And sadly the only thing I really wanted drawn out, the rematch with Ulqiorra, is over. I’m not sure why they finished it with two episodes. If DBZ can make a five minute match with Frieza go for about five episodes or more they could have made probably the most anticipated fight since Grimmjow go for three eps. Whatever, criticism of length aside it was a well animated fight. But now we get to look forward to the fight with Yammy and Fake Karakura! Maybe I can just rewatch Ichigo stomping on Ulquiorra for the next few weeks instead.

• May 27, 2010 at 9:27 amMatt

Behold the power of the mullet… ;b

I love this episode, i love how they make you feel like Ichigo was the bad guy. I will miss Ulquiorra.

• May 27, 2010 at 11:53 amrasone0104

Somehow I felt sorry for Ulquiorra.
    There goes my favorite arrancar.

• May 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm12twelve

something about this episode didn’t seem right to me, and the way Orihime’s hair keeps defying gravity is weird.

• May 27, 2010 at 2:36 pmKiz

No one pointed out how they censored Ishida’s arm getting cut off into a sword threw the chest?

• May 30, 2010 at 10:11 amShad_Phoenix

Actually, both happened in the original. It wasn’t censored into anything.

Makes me wonder how they’ll explain Ishida’s lack of an arm later, or at least him not using it in important scenes. I did prefer it being broken and crippled though, it looked more brutal than just being cut off. Maybe he’ll have it amputated off-screen.

• May 27, 2010 at 3:32 pmKaine

Your right about the dead weight part, its a pretty accurate description of Orihime’s role throughout the entire series.

• May 27, 2010 at 4:07 pmPhilip

wtf he was my favorite character.

• May 28, 2010 at 1:08 amChulin

this is my favorite Chapter~ <3

• May 28, 2010 at 1:18 amAlec

ive finally started watching bleach again…ive skipped the fillers though

• May 28, 2010 at 3:42 amsto67

ulquiorra was the one good character of all the bleach villains
    i mean, he has more character development than most of the cast! i was pretty cut when he died since that means its back to the same hack and slash formula…

• May 29, 2010 at 10:00 amfullmetalmya

Loved Ulquiorra! This fight made me remember why I liked Bleach in the first place.

• May 29, 2010 at 2:03 pmTAI

• May 31, 2010 at 8:46 pmMatroid

This episode is one of my favorite “Espada moments”. “Batboy” did’t talk much, but the fact he kept trying to break Orihime’s spirit (and failed) made him the more interesting. His role is almost like the android Data in Star Trek the Next Generation.

• June 1, 2010 at 6:38 amgoukison

ichigo transformed to a super sayan 3 to beat espada #4
    i wonder how strong are the capitain facing the top 3 espada?
    mmmm….!?
    is straks realy the #1 espada?
    how powerfull will kenpachi’s shikai be?
    are the espadas vasto lords?
    if not, then where are the vasto lords?
    and let not forget about this king that aizen is trying to murder, surely he must have some type of supersayans guardians
    good stuff bleach,
    there is a lot of room for intersting developement so please no more sado and renji figths (sado realy sux ballz)

• June 2, 2010 at 12:14 pmdkpritts

I never understood why other countries make fun of America’s intelligence…until I read that.

• June 3, 2010 at 7:23 amOkazaki-san

This just came to me and even though the dramatic ending of ulquiorra was quite a good moment….Why couldn’t Orihime just use her “defying-god power” and bring him back?