Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou – 01 »« Maken-Ki! – 01

Mashiro-iro Symphony – 02

「きょぜつ色のクッキング」 (Kyozetsu-iro no Kukkingu)
“Rejection-Colored Cooking”

Two episodes later, I’m not so much impressed by Manglobe’s adaptation of Mashiro-iro Symphony as I am intrigued by how it has all the makings of just another high school romantic comedy, yet always seems to stop a step short of actually becoming one. It’s very odd I must say, because as soon as it looks like things are going to fall into an overused trope, the characters prevent that from happening. It feels like there are abnormally long pauses in anticipation of moments that never come, as the progression breaks off in an unexpectedly civil manner shortly after.

The most prevalent case is with Airi, who’s very much like a typical tsundere except for the amount of restraint she’s shown when Shingo inadvertently walked in on her in the washroom, buried his head into her chest, and took a peek at her underwear. If this were any other show, Shingo would’ve been flying across the room or bruised and battered beyond recognition in at least one of those three cases if not them all. The fact that he got away unscathed with only his reputation tarnished a bit is like getting away with murder as far as romantic comedies are concerned. Heck, it’s even worse than that as he’s increasing his number of encounters with Airi, which Kami nomi’s Keima will tell us is fundamental to winning over an eroge dating sim girl. When I take that into account, it’s pretty easy to see that the stuff Shingo gets away with here is absolutely criminal. Criminal I tell ya!

Now what amazes me is that I don’t particularly mind how the “laws of anime” are broken here. I don’t find it all that unbelievable that a diligent model student like Airi wouldn’t resort to violence. After all, she’s proven to be a lot stricter than her easygoing mother Ranka (and her psychotic Yuri-like laugh), plus her first meeting with Shingo was on very good terms. What’s more, Airi’s friends with Sakuno, who probably wouldn’t take well to any unnecessary abuse to her beloved stepbrother, and Kagamidai didn’t just send random students to Yuijo to poorly represent the school. (Hayata is the student council president for example.) Objectively speaking, there’s plenty of reason to believe that Airi wouldn’t lash out at every opportunity, yet at the same time, I’m completely astonished by the fact that she actually doesn’t. I’ve grown so accustomed to seeing how those scenarios play out (read: brainwashed) that it’s downright strange when they turn out rather normally. The same goes for the “special curriculum” cooking class, where all the guys were helpful with both preparing the chestnut rice and eating all the excess that Ange made so that their class wouldn’t get in trouble. It’s all so civil — TOO civil.

In any case, I am curious to see where things are headed now that Miu has formally introduced herself (with Pannya) and Shingo/Airi have been nominated as class representatives. I’m pretty set on watching this series just to see if it continues to avoid all the typical anime tropes (which are arguably the medium’s pitfalls too).

October 13, 2011 at 1:00 am
  • October 13, 2011 at 1:14 amClick

Manglobe’s really doing a great job here with the art and animation. Anyways, the whole premise feels a bit generic… and kind of not generic at all ya’ know? Somehow it feels like the series is just purposely dodging the usual tropes and not giving anything back in return which ain’t really bad, but the end result isn’t too great either.

• October 13, 2011 at 1:16 amZen

Basically it’s nothing groundbreaking, but it just enough innovation thrown in to make things feel (somewhat) fresh(er), while staying true to itself/the genre (or more cynically, risk-averse animators sticking with “what works”- i.e. “what’s boring”).

• October 13, 2011 at 1:29 amoliviaven

I absolutely love the art and animation ^^
    After watching Kyoukai Senjo, I keep imagining Toori’s face whenever Shingo
    gets into trouble = =

If its another show eh??? (Ichika and Houki…….heads be rolling)

oh and

@Divine Wasn’t Ranka her sister???

• October 13, 2011 at 1:42 amDivine

Nope, mother, which is why I loved how Ranka asked Airi if she was on her period in the first episode.

• October 13, 2011 at 2:03 amKurisu Vi Britannia

Will you girls form a contract with me and become Mahou Shoujo?

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Incubator, He Will Get You.

• October 13, 2011 at 2:37 amCroos

lol lol

• October 13, 2011 at 3:17 amCybersteel

It can’t even talk. All it says is Uryuu! Uryuu!

• October 13, 2011 at 4:08 amKurisu Vi Britannia

For now. For now…….

• October 13, 2011 at 3:42 pmstaticology

• October 14, 2011 at 7:26 amdeafvader

Guess Dvine did not talk about her cause like ang the maid she is not of any real interest or importance. And this is not really in Divine’s weekly blogging list.

• October 14, 2011 at 3:23 pmSilver

You mean Sana?

If I remember correctly, she is of important to the whole school merging thing so she will get her own stuff later on I’m assuming.

• October 15, 2011 at 8:30 amAllnighter

Oh man, the Kyuubi harem is constantly growing. I can already see the girls transforming into magic outfits….

• October 13, 2011 at 2:53 amYuno

as of right now, i think this is good compared to maji de and horizon. the two is interesting but kind of random. i think ill give this anime a try.

• October 13, 2011 at 2:55 amx

This was surprisingly more entertaining than I thought possible. It is yet another VN adaptation after all, not a very notable VN either. Love the Manglobe art as usual.

• October 13, 2011 at 3:13 amCybersteel

Feels really normal and more refreshing then most VN adaptation.

• October 13, 2011 at 4:28 amChaos2Frozen

I don’t find Shingo to be an entertaining character to follow- It’s not that he’s bad per say, but rather he just doesn’t give good reactions to make things interesting ^^

btw Divine, are you guys also going to cover at least the second episodes of all the shows that aren’t covered by anyone in your Fall schedule?

• October 13, 2011 at 9:42 amDivine

No I’m not. If you haven’t seen a post on it by now, odds are I won’t be saying anything about the second episode.

• October 13, 2011 at 4:49 amcutemi2

I love this anime soooooo muuuucccchhhh…. i hope you’ve continued blogging this anime by chance….

• October 13, 2011 at 5:59 amEuzio

Pretty spot on with the review Divine. I was thinking the same thing with the whole scenario of how everything feels rather generic for a series like this but yet somehow still doesn’t. Especially in the incidents with Airi. I was already prepping myself to see Shingo getting leveled after he inadvertently did all those things to Airi XD. The fact none of it happened made it feel kinda weird but rather refreshing too. I am rather partial to Tsunderes so Airi is already a winner in my book, but if they had actually followed through with the whole hammering of main protagonist thing i don’t think i woulda liked her as much.

Animation wise, its really superb considering the genre for this series. If they can keep this up all the way, i would say it will be the best animation for a series of this genre that i’ve ever watched.

PS: Really starting to like the OP song too :D

• October 13, 2011 at 6:13 amChiisai

I still haven’t gotten around to watching this anime yet, but from what I’ve read, It actually seems kinda interesting! And I have somewhat fallen in love with the artstyle too haha. XD

And as the poster above me said, I’m really liking the OP! :D

• October 13, 2011 at 6:23 amraindeth

Thanks for blogging please don’t stop with this show. I am really interested in this show so keep the posts coming. Thanks

• October 13, 2011 at 6:46 amAndré

The first episode was kind of boring, but this one was good.

I now I know what is that creature. It’s a cat. LOL.

• October 13, 2011 at 7:36 amOwaranai

The OP is growing on me rapidly, and only after two episodes!

one good sign of things to come, and this feeling that it treads a good line between being cliche and yet fresh keeps coming. Now THIS is the kind of romcom I like instead of the beat-me-ups. Here’s hoping they won’t ever fall into that generic category.

• October 13, 2011 at 8:35 amhaseo0408

This show is catching my interest faster than I´ve expected, the characters have really good personalities (there is something that I love about Airi and Sakuno) and the the development of the story is good, at leas it doesn´t fall in any cliches I know of. Please keep blogging this show Divine, I´d love to know your analysis of this turns out. BTW, that thing that looks like a cat keeps reminding me of Kyubei from Madoka, that is just so creepy in so many levels.

• October 13, 2011 at 2:08 pmxcswmboy

I don’t see anything completely groundbreaking in this eroge turned anime. It seems similar to Fortune Arterial without the vampire setting. So, I’ll just enjoy this at face-value.

• October 13, 2011 at 6:31 pmGambler

What irks me is Airi and the outright hostility sometimes that the male students face. Getting through a high school in normal circumstances is hard as it is.

• October 13, 2011 at 7:41 pmSerapita

I still don’t know why I like this show, I just do. It feels like a really…normal life? Nothing over the top but still enjoyable nonetheless.

• October 13, 2011 at 9:28 pmlolz

Is it bad that, despite not having seen the episode and only scrolling through the screen caps (and missing the initial first cap of her) that I immediately knew Sakuno was a step sister? They all look the same >_>

• October 14, 2011 at 4:06 amLoki

I been playing the PSP version of Mashiroiro Symphony for quite some time.
    I’m very surprised at the anime cause Sana is a yuri that likes Miu & hates men like Shingo lol

• October 14, 2011 at 7:28 amdeafvader

Cutest girl + cutest animal
    Miu ftw

• October 14, 2011 at 10:55 ampedobearmatt

Another Da Capo like anime even it has the same plot of merging schools like MaKen-Ki. Stop blogging this anime and proceed blogging CubeXCursedXCurious which is better.

• October 14, 2011 at 11:33 amSilver

It’s not your blog. The author can blog whatever they want. Second, aren’t you judging the series too quick? Keep watching it until a few more episodes than judge.

On the other hand, yes it would be awesome if CubeXCursedXCurious was blogged as well but I think they’re already blogging quite a bit of stuff and probably are really busy.

• October 15, 2011 at 2:26 amEveryday Otaku

Better Idea: Blog both. They’re both good. As in upon seeing the first episode I rated both of them 10 and its holding.

• October 14, 2011 at 4:20 pmBaLdUrIaN

SHOT THAT DAMN ANIMAL DOWN! It’s obviously sick!

• October 14, 2011 at 8:26 pmacolyte

I enjoy this anime – a season could always use a light hearted romance with a light hearted comedy, not too heavy either side :)

Not too normal, not too crazy, somewhere in between? Of course, with a harem touch.

• October 14, 2011 at 9:00 pmwinn sevilla

• October 14, 2011 at 10:25 pmKazuma

Very Very well animated series, but my only problem with it is that the characters are really not that interesting or likeable and the plot really is sooo overused and generic. I really harem shows, but Im starting to get sick of these overused plot and settings.

• October 15, 2011 at 2:24 amEveryday Otaku

Keima doesn’t exactly play eroges. He plays any and ALL dating sims. Everywhere from terrible art games to mega bugged games to bishounen, or otome, you know directed towards girls lol, games.

• October 15, 2011 at 2:36 amnagi

This being an eroge adaptation, would this turn-out to be NSFW anime in the future (at par with Yosuga no Sora)?

• October 15, 2011 at 3:55 amsaviourshadow

zzz…..divine tot ur nt going to review this….

• March 10, 2012 at 4:45 pmHosea Puca

Keep up the bloging, your are doing a nice job.