Little Busters! EX – 04 »« Little Busters! EX – 02 (OVA)

Little Busters! EX – 03 (OVA)

「リトルバスターズ!EX」 (Ritoru Basutaazu! EX)
“Little Busters! EX”

With Little Busters it always comes back to that, doesn’t it?

There’s nothing in the third (of four, seemingly) episode of Saya’s mini-arc in EX that will blow you away on first viewing. It’s breezy, silly, briskly paced and mostly entertaining, just as the first two eps were, albeit it with a few more truly bizarre moments and a weighty ending. But I confess I rather admire the way it slowly opens your eyes to the nature of what we’re watching, to the point where by the time it’s revealed officially you realize you’ve known it for a long time.

In a way, EX (to be honest I’m still holding out hope for “Kud Wafter”, the extra LitBus I really want to see most) is a stylistic hybrid between the first and second seasons. It definitely plays as lightweight fluff a good percentage of the time, but of course we can’t un-know what we now know about the secret of this world and that gives the material a little extra jolt of pathos and mystery it wouldn’t otherwise have. You can’t completely take these fluffy romcom hijinks at face value because you know nothing in Little Busters can be taken at face value – there’s always a hidden world turning away behind the false one we’re looking at.

Do Riki and Saya have good chemistry? I have no complaints – as I said in an earlier post she’s a bit too 2007-tsundere for me to totally bond with her, but I do enjoy the way she comically overreacts to everything, especially any suggestion that she and Riki are mutually attracted. Touch her foot? Be prepared to get married. And her pat response of lapsing into nonsense-speak is pretty entertaining, too. Riki is, as always, the good sport among all good sports – he plays along no matter how weird things get and finds himself falling for Saya (again) in spit of her obvious peculiarities.

I certainly don’t think it’s any coincidence that Saya guessed that the treasure was a time machine (it has the ring of wish fulfilment), though by that point it had become quite clear that she and Riki were, effectively, each inside a first-person shooter. Not is it a coincidence that the final boss, the head of the Executives of Darkness “Tokikaze Shun” is obviously Kyousuke. It seems that Saya is trapped inside her own looping world just as Riki and Rin were in the original series, though exactly how the two are connected is left to later episodes to answer.

April 19, 2014 at 5:17 am
  • April 19, 2014 at 5:42 amGermanguy

I dunno, this play in the Little Buster Universum. We see knowing faces. But for me this is not “my” Little Buster anymore. Sorry. But “Little Busters EX” has nothing to do with the Original.

• April 19, 2014 at 5:43 amGermanguy

as if they want to mix Angel Beat and Little Busters with a Crowbar

• April 19, 2014 at 7:55 amAndmeuths

Think of Ex as a testbed for Angel Beats, using the Little Busters world and characters, and you aren’t far wrong. It’s the popularity of Saya that I suspected led Jun Maeda to create a whole show on the premise of the Saya arc. We know it as Angel Beats.

• April 19, 2014 at 5:51 amGuardian Enzo

Well, it’s canon material… And it was around before AB was, so the idea of some kind of intentional fusion is literally impossible.

• April 19, 2014 at 5:57 am†Croos†

Actually Angel Beats was actually based on this Little Busters EX! . Jun Maeda, the writer of the Original(Main part) and Saya route actually like Saya very much as a character. Thus he pursue making Angel Beats based on EX!

• April 19, 2014 at 6:11 amGermanguy

Thanks for that info.

• April 19, 2014 at 6:04 amechykr

“Nothing to do with original”

Germanguy, what on earth are you smoking? Have you even played Little Busters EX? For god’s sake. Guess who wrote the scenario for Saya’s route? Maeda Jun, that’s who.

Besides LBEX predates Angel Beats. I’ve mentioned in a previous EX episode thread, Maeda most likely used Saya’s story as the blueprint for the worldview of Angel Beats.

• April 19, 2014 at 6:08 amGermanguy

I only know the Time line of the Anime appeared. I dont know the VN’s

• April 19, 2014 at 6:04 am†Croos†

I think by now people may know what the real Show Spoiler ▼

by now.

• April 19, 2014 at 6:09 amechykr

While Tokikaze Shun was not even credited in the VN credits, the anime doesn’t even attempt to hide the fact that his VA, Midorikawa Hikaru, is the same VA as that of Kyousuke, whom as we’re all aware by now since Refrain, is the “God” in charge of this ever-looping world – Aptly depicted as a video game constantly restarting from Saya’s POV.

Over the many incarnations, Riki may have his memory wiped again and again, but some of the feelings remain, hence him warming to Saya for seemingly no reason.

The remaining questions for the newcomers would be: Who is Saya? What’s her relationship to Riki? And why is she separated from the rest of the LB crew, constantly confronting Tokikaze/Kyousuke alone for some unknown reason?

(PS Saya’s gratuitous panty shots seem to have increased exponentially with each episode. lol

And w00t at LB’s first anime kiss. Not even Rin gets that privilege. )

• April 19, 2014 at 6:24 am†Croos†

Fun fact:

And w00t at LB’s first anime kiss. Not even Rin gets that privilege. )

F YEAH! Saya WINS ALL!! Show Spoiler ▼

• April 19, 2014 at 10:44 amTadashi

Saya = best girl huehue~

• April 19, 2014 at 3:08 pmShanHaxx

Saya’s predicament is more akin to that of Kurugaya’s looping world, but I won’t say anything more for fear of excessive hinting towards a possible spoiler. Also, considering we’re getting 8 episode of EX and there are 2 other heroines that need screen time, I’d say that next episode will be the last one we’re getting for Saya’s Route.

• April 19, 2014 at 5:31 pm†Croos†

I always rage in the game to always end up with this
    EVERY TIME!