Gakkou Gurashi! – 02 »

Gakkou Gurashi! – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「ふ・れ・ん・ど・し・た・い」 (Fu ・ Re ・ N ・ Do ・ Shi ・ Ta ・ I) by 学園生活部 (Gakuen Seikatsubu)

「はじまり」 (Hajimari)
“Beginning”

I’ve been dying to find out how Lerche was going to handle their adaptation of Gakkou Gurashi and I loved it for the most part. While some things in the timeline and story were shifted a bit, the biggest being the sudden introduction of Naoki Miki or Mii-kun, who can fault Lerche for giving us a surprise cutesy character in the form of Taroumaru? In any case, I can totally feel the magic that the manga had and then some.

On a side note, I will be talking about some spoilerish things throughout these posts. I’ll keep them within spoiler tags so OPEN THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

School Life Club

As an introductory episode, I was surprised how much the story fleshed out all the members of the club. While the spotlight was obviously shining on Yuki and Miki, I really loved how the show managed to nail a lot of Kurumi and Yuuri’s little quirks. From Yuuri’s motherly nature (and anger) to Kurumi’s tomboyish behavior, it was fun to catch all these things from the most subtle of clues.

Also, on Taroumaru, I don’t think we have to say much more than he’s a pretty awesome dog. I mean, when was the last time you saw a dog smart enough to open a sliding door?!

Zombie Apocalypse

Waiting until the last few seconds to really show us what’s going on, it looks like things aren’t as peachy as the show wants us to believe. With the school in shambles and what are presumably zombies crawling around everywhere, I hope I wasn’t the only one who had a “what the fu…?” moment. Especially since the entire episode led us to believe that everything was just fine! While I’m sure we’ll get some kind of answer next week, I wish the show had given us a little more after dropping a huge bombshell on us.

Looking Ahead

Being one of my most anticipated shows of the season, I was super duper happy with how this first episode came out. Besides capturing all the magic that I felt while reading the first chapter of the manga, it added in its own special touch in a way that only an anime can do. Sure, I might have some gripes that things are different than the manga, but I have a feeling Lerche has a clear direction with where they’re going and these changes are going to just make the adaptation from a manga into an anime that much better.

Thanks for reading the post and I hope to catch you around for the rest of the season! On a side note, please refrain from posting spoilers in the comments. Not only are you ruining someone’s experiences, but because this is an adaptation, it’s possible you could be spreading misinformation! So, please abuse that spoiler tag and if you want to talk about anything related to this anime or if you wanted to ask me something specific, shoot me a tweet @rctakaii!

See you next week!

ED Sequence

ED: 「ハーモナイズ・クローバー」 (Haamonaizu Kurooba) by 黒崎真音 (Kurosaki Maon)

July 9, 2015 at 9:19 pm
  • July 9, 2015 at 9:31 pmJimhawk

HOLY SHIT

This episode went 0 to 100 real quick.

• July 9, 2015 at 9:43 pmTakaii

:’)

• July 12, 2015 at 11:29 amKarmafan

I did not know anything about this anime and did not read any previews. My rule is to try the 1st episode of every new show each season. While watching this I thought I was watching a cute girl slice of life anime until the end and HOLY SHIT!

• July 9, 2015 at 9:32 pmdanes256

damn they got me with this episode, didn’t think things would turn out that way. now i understand why this is categorized as horror

• July 9, 2015 at 9:43 pmTakaii

I don’t put a lot of effort into the genre tags for nothin’

• July 9, 2015 at 9:33 pmbrajt

Yay for takaii for blogging cute zombies doing cute girls! <3 Let's all hope the show leaves us with better answers than Glasslip after the last episode.

• July 9, 2015 at 9:45 pmTakaii

I doubt we’ll be left hanging :’)

• July 9, 2015 at 9:40 pmNachtwandler

I don’t think they’ll omit Miki’s backstory. Probably thgey’ll make it as a flashback

• July 9, 2015 at 9:44 pmTakaii

Hmm, makes sense.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:11 amNachtwandler

Not really. The only problem is how to make part about sending a message as a flashbakck instead of direct continuation from current story.

And I have a strong feeling they could just start the story from the next ep.

• July 9, 2015 at 9:41 pmnhelraios

Oh look cute girls doing cute thi- NOOOPEE This is not what I signed up for.

• July 9, 2015 at 9:44 pmTakaii

NOOOOOPE describes the feeling well.

• July 9, 2015 at 10:20 pmTassadar

Tbh, it gave me some Madoka vibes. In the sense that we are supposed to sign up for something completely different, and then BAM, post apocalyptic horror with zombies chewing your leg. Madoka “tricked” us kind of similar with the first witch and then with Show Spoiler ▼

• July 10, 2015 at 10:21 pmYuuna

Tip: Don’t trust pink-haired MC (Madoka,Yuuki Yuuna)

• July 9, 2015 at 9:59 pmBlablabla

I just caught up to the manga today and holy shit…I’m so emotionally attached to the characters. (Btw Kurumi is best girl~)

• July 9, 2015 at 10:02 pmBlablabla

I really hope the studio doesn’t go for an anime original ending since they introduced Mii-chan this early on (which shifts a pretty critical event)

• July 9, 2015 at 10:10 pmUnknownSoldier

I absolutely loved all the foreshadowing leading up to the end. Especially that blackboard.

• July 9, 2015 at 10:26 pmWalkingBy

There were some words on the blackboard just right before she left the classroom(9:20 kissanime)
    Some pretty intense foreshadowing.

• July 9, 2015 at 10:52 pmVincent Lancon

Wow, I just wonder if it will be a double mind f*&k and everyone else is made up too.

• July 9, 2015 at 11:22 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

If one notices in the middle of things, when they had a shot showing the school yard during Yuki’s little fantasy, you can actually see the zombies outside, slightly hunched over and such, but obviously blurred enough so you can’t actually tell they’re zombies, which would lead one to believe it was just a bunch of other students.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Yuki’s whole false reality is some sort of PTSD coping mechanism of some kind, like she saw her whole family get killed by zombies or something, thus she’s always in her own little bubble world, unable to currently accept how things are.

• July 9, 2015 at 11:50 pmHanabira.Kage

That’s what the manga and anime imply, yes, but I don’t think we’ve been told exactly what happened yet. Show Spoiler ▼

• July 10, 2015 at 12:41 amHalfDemonInuyasha

Literally just finished reading all available 35 chapters of the manga that I could find translated and **** me x_x;

• July 9, 2015 at 11:51 pmLonghaul

So.
    Much.
    Foreshadowing.

I can see why they introduced Mii so early if the should is only going to be one cour (is it?) and Show Spoiler ▼

gives us an idea of how far they are going to go.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:20 amTakaii

• July 13, 2015 at 4:30 pmdeVacto

• July 10, 2015 at 12:06 amImpel Down Hippo

OH NO YOU DIDN’T!

Yes they did. Well played, Gakkou Gurashi!

• July 10, 2015 at 12:09 amImpel Down Hippo

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop that entire episode, and whoa, it was quite the thud!

this will fill the vacancy High School of the Dead left when it ended, but will probably be so much better.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:27 amRule of Nature

Not a faithful adaptation but it’s good in its own way.

10/10 show confirmed.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:44 amMichael

It’s so different than the manga from the first episode and after the end of it was like holy **** and good thing I started reading the manga after the first episode aired and I say it isn’t your typical moe manga that has a horror and tragedy tag.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:50 amv1cious

That was fucking whacked. I’m kind of tempted to read the manga now just to see what happens next.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:56 amYuuna

Well based on myanimelist: http://myanimelist.net/anime/24765/Gakkou_Gurashi!/characters#staff
    The original creator of this manga is also the script writer of this anime so I think there may be a reason why they completely change the intro of this anime.

Well anyways the show keeps on showing hints that this show is not just SOL/Moeblob anime

Man since one of the scriptwriters of the anime is also the original creator of this series, I hope they can execute the story perfectly until the end.Anyways this was one of the best 1st episodes I’ve watched so far this summer season so far(Still waiting for God Eater and Prison School).

• July 10, 2015 at 1:00 amYuuna

Yeah I repeated the “so far” in one of my lines my bad. Anyways count me in for the next ep.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:57 amZhinvu

So this is what you get when George Romero or the staff of The Walking Dead works on a moe slice of life anime with cute girls doing cute things. Count me as surprised.

• July 10, 2015 at 1:17 amWorldwideDepp

The only question for me is, what is real, and what is only “illusion” in her Mind. How many really survivors is there? from the OP only 4?

• July 10, 2015 at 2:15 amNachtwandler

• July 10, 2015 at 2:32 amWorldwideDepp

Ah, thxs. Last Preview Picture suggest me, that this Girl must go outside, Well we see her behind the Table wall.

Well, this Zombie Apocalypse and such, is not so addict for me, like for the most here. because i grow up with Resident Evil 1 and such. So, this Zombies are not that strong for me

Well, lets see

1/3 passed

• July 10, 2015 at 1:32 amhjerry

Wow, so this one certainly threw me for a loop. I had some idea of the supposed content, just based on what I had read of the series heading into this, so I was very confused by what I was watching. I also absolutely hate shows like that with a passion, so by the 15 minute mark, I was so bored that I just start skipping through (I probably would have just stopped entirely, if not for all the glowing recommendations that I had read.). After I got to the end, though. I found myself going back to look at all these little details. I still can’t stomach the episode myself, b/c like I said, I hate that stuff, but certainly found them interesting. It also didn’t really lessen the “Damn!” response that I had at the end.

I’ll certainly be watching the second episode to see where they go with this, especially since so many seem to highly recommend it. The next episode is titled “memories” so I’d guess that they’ll be covering pre-episode one stuff.

• July 10, 2015 at 1:39 amCorin

As a manga reader of this, I’m a bit on the fence. I think they overdid the delusion school scenes just a bit, and the timeline rearrangement does raise my eyebrows… but on the other hand, without any spoilers, in this one episode they express so many of the character subtleties from the manga just right. Mm.

If they keep the OP as is, though, it’ll quickly become even more of a disconnect from the actual material than the Madoka OP was. :P

• July 10, 2015 at 2:13 amkanade

The suspense is killing me.

Not sure if I should start reading the manga…

• July 10, 2015 at 2:37 amTakaii

Don’t give in! Watch the anime run first and then go to the manga afterwards!

I wish I could do that except I read the manga to preview the show for our season previews. :T

• July 10, 2015 at 2:42 amWorldwideDepp

I know how you feel Bro..aehm Takaii. This “strange things” with GATE forced me to read the first 2 Arcs to jump our Blogger aside. now, the “curiosity” is ruined, and what now hold me is that in how they animate or modify from the Manga

Thats why, i try not to read Mangas beforehand. This Google IT! generation do not like curiosity, they just use google and ruin this felling themselves

• July 10, 2015 at 9:16 pmkanade

Too late. Already read up to chapter 37 and oh boy, I wasn’t expecting such premise.

More so it looks like the anime adaptation is going in different direction and considering the author himself is working as a script writer I’m interested to see how will the story go on as.

• July 10, 2015 at 4:06 amAex

If you can handle it, hold off on the manga. I went into the first episode cold and I can tell ya, that feeling at the end of the episode hooked me. But I’ve always someone that felt suspense and impact a lot more from TV than books. I’m also not a horror or drama fan, but this? I’ll watch this until the wheels fall off, then watch some more.

• July 10, 2015 at 2:37 amHellstorm901

I honestly hope this is just a flashforward and we’ll actually get back to the start of the manga but I’m getting the feeling that that’s not going to happy which really annoy me because it just makes this a bad adaption from the get go.

As it stands a major part of the manga where lots of tension and interesting things happen has just been thrown out of the window.

• July 10, 2015 at 2:40 amTakaii

You gotta stay positive. The studios have to adapt things to appease many different people.
      Let’s believe in Lerche!

• July 10, 2015 at 4:15 amAex

I’m thinking we’ll get Show Spoiler ▼

and they’ll adapt the rest around her. It isn’t unusual for anime adaptations to gather the characters faster than the source material, and it won’t change that much.

As for Taroumaru…Show Spoiler ▼

• July 10, 2015 at 2:54 amWorldwideDepp

If i would be a Leader of this 4 Survivors, i would first gain security. Well they have do it, with this Wall of Tables. But then i would try to gain more Rooftop land. With wood plank bridges that connects them. looks like this School has Solar panels, so Energy is not a problem, as long the Sun and Battery’s are there, Looks like 1 of them can cook, 1 is the “melee” fighter

Of course, the New gained Land must also be secured from entering of the bottom floors. But someday the Food and Water resources are deplete. And they are forced to search food outside.

Is there any Hope of rescue? Because these 4 are not the last peoples on Earth or?

• July 10, 2015 at 3:00 amWorldwideDepp

This Roof on the North side of the Clock Tower, would be ideal to collect Rain Drops with help of water proof tents skins… Well, if one of the survivors has the skill to build it of course. Like a giant sinkhole, fixed on the rooftop walls.

• July 10, 2015 at 3:09 amWorldwideDepp

or Raincoats sewed together would also works, that is more reasonable for the hands of these Girls

a Tower of tables on their 4 Corners, and the Raincoats working as a sinkhole, with a small hole in the bottom and some basket to collect the Water. Perhaps it also works with condensation Water

• July 11, 2015 at 4:03 amSnooSnoo (@ShinJiwon)

First thing I would do is get rid of the crazy girl who is not of any use. In a working society sure we have the luxury to keep disabled people alive just because we can but in a zombie apocalypse? No thanks.

• July 10, 2015 at 3:54 amCrimson7

So many spoiler tags in the comments. I’m really tempted to open each one! Must… resist…

• July 10, 2015 at 4:30 amShu

Miki!?

• July 10, 2015 at 4:56 amJekoJeko

Can’t believe some people dropped this episode halfway or skipped to the end just because they wanted to see the twist. Lerche did a fantastic job with tone and pacing, so you needed to stick with it until the end to get the right effect.

More of my thoughts here: https://unnecessaryexclamationmark.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/gakkou-gurashi-01/

On a side note, Shovel Knight is Best Girl. No argument.

• July 10, 2015 at 5:27 amJeffers

i was surprised that uro-butcher is not leading this anime after i have quick/skip reading the manga.

the psychological abuse to the characters is too strong…

• July 11, 2015 at 11:57 amzeroyuki92

It’s made by Nitroplus writer. Urobuchi is from Nitroplus.

• July 10, 2015 at 6:13 amlegwkio

Bait and Switch.

• July 10, 2015 at 6:33 amHakunamatata

Ya know…After i watch this show, i would rather to….uh…
    listen to this song

Still…Let’s see what audacity gonna in to it next week…>:) XD

• July 10, 2015 at 7:04 amaeria

This anime is going to be the next Madoka, isn’t it?

• July 10, 2015 at 7:39 amGYUZ

About Megu-nee in this episode :
    (heavy spoiler)

• July 10, 2015 at 8:09 amChar

What a nice surprise!

I thought this was another moe show from the first couple of minutes (even mistook the shovel as a props of sort! LOL). Then things suddenly felt out of place during the dog chase scene when there was a split-second frame of a broken window, a barricade of chairs, cross on the garden, and the odd silhouettes at the school grounds.

The suspense keeps on building up until that big reveal at the end. Boy, I was glad that they are trying to mix things up. This show might end up as a nice series if done right.

Poor girl with the Deviruchi hat from RO; she seems so mentally broken already. lol

• July 10, 2015 at 8:40 amkl

And I thought why Mii-Kun just walk-in and shout to Yuki as if there is no one in the classroom…

• July 10, 2015 at 9:37 amAndmeuths

Gentleman, meet Moe is Suffering: The Summer Edition.

• July 10, 2015 at 3:30 pmsyncmaster793DF

it should be survive! you know

• July 10, 2015 at 5:10 pmJuan

I went into this show knowing absolutely nothing about it just that there was another show airing and I would give it a go. So the show starts out in typical fashion and then you notice that she lives in school. Strange, admitedly, but nothing we haven’t seen too often in other series so you let it go.

As the show progressed it pretty much set in my mind that it was “that” kind of show (circa Lucky Star, nichijou etc) which honestly doesn’t interest me too much and I found my attention less on the TV and more to the news site I had on my comp at the same time with glances to the TV now and then until suddenly it was a zombie apocalypse and I had to rewind the show to see what happened.

Honestly the transition was too abrupt. I know there were some lead ups to it like the cross in the ground on the roof and the long shots of the field but it was just too abrupt. Nothing anchors the viewers on what is “really” the state of things. It just jumps from moe show with moe character designs to HSOTD in literally 1 second.

As a viewer you are filled more with confusion than suprise or shock. You think WTH rather than OMG. So honestly right know I’m just confused

• July 10, 2015 at 6:12 pmWtragedy

That’s probably because you weren’t paying attention. There were many parts in this episode which hinted at there being something unnatural going on.

• July 11, 2015 at 8:09 amserbii

WHY ARE YOU ALL HAVING SPAGHETTI FOR BREAKFAST!? ISN’T THAT WEIRD!?

Also a few things I’ve seen people point out: the windows are broken when they’re chasing the dog, the weird wall of desks, the cross in the garden, the messages on the black board (one dark, the other about enjoying studying with everyone in the past tense), Mii-kun’s blatant disregard for interrupting class and nervousness, there are no lights on in the halls, no one else interacts with Megu-nee. Someone screencapped a bunch of things here

• July 10, 2015 at 6:34 pmmac65

What the hell did I just watch…

I see a good formula beginning (reminds me a little of Sora no Method
    early on, but that didn’t pan out like I expected) and there’s strong
    potential in the characters.

I know it looks like they are protecting Yuki (I hope I got the
    name right for the girl with the hat), it is, in fact, her cheerfulness
    that is protecting them from the despair and hopelessness around them.

This couldn’t be a better lead-in for the series – Hitchcock style, IMHO.

The story opens as a macro lens into her daily routine – notice all of
    the details – and the other girls around her. We see the world as she
    sees it and as her peers wish they could see it; she’s in a bubble. But
    suddenly our, as the audience, attention is pulled away from her, and
    we’re impressed with the understanding of the reasons for the things about
    her, e.g. why does she live at the school (obviously they all do – and we
    understand that). Well done!

Can’t wait to see how this unfolds…

• July 10, 2015 at 7:16 pmsealouse

That hit me like a ton of bricks. I could see it coming, but it was done so well and stuff like this really plays with your emotions hardcore.

• July 10, 2015 at 7:50 pmfoshizzel

Next to Gangsta this is the best new series ever! I’ve read the manga and was addicted, but they are changing things with a few characters which is fine I always expect changes from manga to anime adaptations.

• July 10, 2015 at 8:38 pmDave

Re Takaii’s spoiler

• July 10, 2015 at 10:42 pms_w

It’s good to see Lerche give the ol’ Urobutcher a run for his money for Biggest Badass Viewer-Bully in Anime. If the first episode is any indication, he is going to CRUSH your hearts, make you cry rivers of nerd tears, and you’ll probably enjoy the hell out of it. (I know I will! I have the Kleenex box ready!)

First ep was a little different from what I expected, but it was REALLY well done. Great WTF factor to surprise people unfamiliar with the manga, and enough small twists to shake up people who have already read it.

Part of me really hopes that when it’s over, we all ask, “Madoka who?”

• July 11, 2015 at 12:16 pmRandomComment

The original writer is from the same company (Nitroplus) and afaik they’re pretty good with the dark stuff. Since the guy’s writing for the anime as well, I should expect things to be… quite fun, so to say =D

• July 10, 2015 at 11:24 pmBlahto Blahtoto

……………………………. I’m a fish……………………

• July 11, 2015 at 5:54 amDanny Zeto

I went into this one cold. No reviews, no wikis, never read the manga…nothing. COLD.

I don’t even have plans to add this show to my anime queue this season.

By the end of the episode, my reaction was, “No. No no no no no. NO! GODDAMNIT!”

Now, looks like I have to see it all the way till the (bitter?) end. And will try my best to steel myself for what’s about to come. It’s…it’s gonna be fine, right?

• July 11, 2015 at 6:31 amacupoforangejuice

Wow, the OP is seriously super misleading.

• July 11, 2015 at 7:59 amserbii

I’d read a brief series summary and kept waiting for the zombie apocalypse to begin, did not expect them to already be in the middle of it. But there were some things that were odd and plenty of hints, their club for one thing, but also little things like them having spaghetti for breakfast and the notes on the blackboard (‘I enjoyed studying with everyone’ past tense, and the more ominous one I can’t remember off the top of my head).

I’m glad it got into things quicker than Yuuki Yuuna did, I’m not sure I could make it through a second episode of dog chasing.

• July 11, 2015 at 5:37 pmShrubbery

Having next to no information up from, I went in only knowing the name being rather dark. I was expecting thing to turn dark with the hints now and then, but all light stuff made me forget about all that.

Until the final minute

I had goosebumbs and shivers everywhere for 5 minutes straight

• July 12, 2015 at 1:38 pmqwert

I’m wondering if they’re going to stick with the happy go lucky fake out OP, switch over to a new one next episode, or make it darker and darker as the series progresses.

• July 12, 2015 at 5:07 pmGouka Ryuu

Watched it this morning after seeing people on other forums talking about it. Even knowing the twist there were only a few clues for it and it still was masterfully done. I’m picking this up!

• July 12, 2015 at 9:01 pmelmaton

same here, I read about it prior to watching this. As started watching the episode, I started to get bored because it really felt like a slice of life type of show, but bamm it just hit me right at the end so badly that I wanted to cry.

• July 13, 2015 at 11:01 amewok40k

OMG… I was a bit spoiled about the series premise, but gosh that reveal did hit me like a brick…

• July 13, 2015 at 4:27 pmdeVacto

Cause the last scene i trap to the manga, and my vision not same again?
    and maybe the author want to add some spice in anime cause is somehow different

• July 13, 2015 at 4:46 pmSissy

Man, I went into this series after reading the post about it being post-zombie apocalypse and was like, is this showing it from the begin- nope, nope, nope. Oh my god. O.O On the plus side, that transition in the classroom from Yuki’s perspective to Mii-kun’s with the soft melody really cringed it. It was like, ouch. But I’m so interested now!!! XD

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that they’re all a part of Yuki’s fantasy and that it’s only her alive, it really gave me that impression. <____>

• July 16, 2015 at 11:19 amWorldwideDepp

Ep 02:

2/3 passed, and succeed in hooking is 98%

• July 17, 2015 at 6:07 pmKen

I went in without any knowledge of this show, but I was able to get the vibe that something was strange by picking up subtle hints here and there like “I almost went home” and Kurumi replied “Becareful, that’s too dangerous!”

Why would it be so dangerous to go home?