Gakkou Gurashi! – 03 »« Gakkou Gurashi! – 01

Gakkou Gurashi! – 02

「おもいで」 (Omoide)
“Memories”

Before you ask anything else – yes they updated the opening sequence ever so slightly to reflect what’s going on. THAT’S DEDICATION I TELL YOU WHAT.

Ebisuzawa Kurumi

Seeing how we got only a few glimpses at her, it makes sense this week’s episode would shift the focus onto our favorite shovel wielding tsundere Kurumi. Besides showing off that cool-beauty side of her personality, she was probably one of the best characters you could have picked to really show the audience just what kind of world our girls have to deal with. Not one to let the zombies just have their way, it was nice to see someone have the urge to actually go out and take out some of the walking dead. While it would have been nice to actually see Kurumi do the deed, you have the admit that the way Lerche did it was pretty classy. Instead of filling the screen with gore, they managed to get the same point across (and more) with a short shot of Kurumi washing the tip of her shovel. If that isn’t creative storytelling, I don’t know what is.

Test of Courage

And when it comes to creative storytelling, you have to love how everything seems to work with Yuki’s view of the world. Under the guise of a simple game, the girls managed to keep Yuki close and in-control while also managing to pick up some sorely needed supplies. Something you’d think would be pretty tough to do especially with Yuki unable to accept the situation they’re all currently in. Which I think is quickly becoming one of the draws for this show – managing the expectations of what you’d expect from a zombie apocalypse while trying to work around Yuki’s condition. Now, if only they’d let Megu-nee do her job!

Looking Ahead

Ramping up the action ever so slightly, this second episode quickly got us up to speed with how dire things are. From clearing things up about where Miki came from (apparently Lerche is watching out for the manga readers!) to dropping various hints of what’s to come, I’m sure anyone who had their doubts about the show are quickly feeling more confident about picking up this fantastic show. While it remains to be seen just how far Lerche is planning on taking this, I’m sure it’ll be a fun and exciting ride along the way.

Thanks for reading the post and I hope to catch you around for the rest of the season! On a side note, please refrain from posting spoilers in the comments. Not only are you ruining someone’s experiences, but because this is an adaptation, it’s possible you could be spreading misinformation! So, please abuse that spoiler tag and if you want to talk about anything related to this anime or if you wanted to ask me something specific, shoot me a tweet @rctakaii!

Catch you next week!

July 16, 2015 at 10:26 pm
  • July 16, 2015 at 10:46 pmUnknownSoldier

Comparison of changes in the OP, courtesy of reddit:

Love when shows do stuff like this.

• July 16, 2015 at 10:57 pmXaephi

After watching episode 1, I caught up with the manga and just OMG the feels.
    This anime is so much better after reading the manga just for it being a bit more joyful.
    So far my favorite show this season, surprisingly.

• July 18, 2015 at 12:16 pmGouken

doesnt even look like their gonna follow the story

• July 16, 2015 at 11:08 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Oh boy…the OP is getting darker and worse…wonder if this is going to continuously get slightly worse every other episode or only something they’re doing now that episode one is over and the twist was revealed…

• July 17, 2015 at 4:00 amAex

Each light-hearted part of the OP relates to a reveal, so I’m guessing that that part will change when the reveal happens. This time the classroom and school-yard changed because we now know what they really look like, and I can see at least two other parts that’ll change by the end.

Doubt the song will ever change, though that would be a nice surprise for the last episode when none of the illusions are left.

• July 16, 2015 at 11:51 pmXaephi

So far, so goood. Read ahead if you’re curious about the current state the manga is in..

• July 16, 2015 at 11:56 pmTakaii

EY. EYY. EYYYYYYYYYY.

:’)

• July 17, 2015 at 12:11 amXaephi

THAT’S WHAT THE AUTHOR WANTS YOU TO THINK.

• July 17, 2015 at 12:35 amZen

About Kurumi:

• July 17, 2015 at 3:56 amAex

• July 17, 2015 at 8:46 amPsyId

Also….

• July 17, 2015 at 4:12 pmZen

About radio broadcaster lady:

• July 19, 2015 at 9:07 amRob

Also about Kurumi:

• July 17, 2015 at 12:15 amLonghaul

The way the eyes are drawn so naturally fit the ohsh*t expressions.

I would say that Yuki’s cowering in the library implies that she is aware, at some level, of the dangerous situation they are in. Show Spoiler ▼

• July 17, 2015 at 4:28 amAex

I know!! The details on the faces is fantastic! Kurumi killing her zombified friend and Rii realizing that Yuki was gone… chills!! XD

• July 17, 2015 at 12:15 ambakakubi

Here are some interesting things I dug up about the OP. I’ll spoiler it just in case. It’s actually pretty damn awesome. I swear, if this is intentional, then mad props for the studio and whoever’s in charge for making such a trollish OP.

And then we have this:

• July 17, 2015 at 12:54 amDwelling

I was watching the ED really closely and at the very end when Yuki wakes up the 3 girls are there, then the next scene they are not there and it ends on “sweet dreams”

• July 17, 2015 at 3:00 am15FAN

A very good review / you pointed out more things about this show which I like already ! I am a manga reader but I will say I like the story in color and motion! Not a spoiler but this get more inteesting ! I hear the writer has a lot of control over the content of the show! Which is good because he might be retelling the story in a new vision!

Thanks for reviewing this a lot of people were mislead by the lousy synospis ! It can be light but twisted l

• July 17, 2015 at 3:08 amActus

This is a surprisingly good show. I agree that the studio has done a great job in changing the scenes of the OP bit by bit.

On the other hand, I wonder why only one of them carries a weapon. Surely, having a full arsenal of tools such as baseball bats, the pruning scissors shown in the episode, etc would help a lot?

• July 17, 2015 at 3:49 amWorldwideDepp

You see, what great Pain it cause on her? If there would be not the emotional backup of the others, she would break or snap in killing Peoples, that “perhaps remember of their past”. The pain is well written, my deep respect

• July 17, 2015 at 3:54 amAex

Unless you aren’t paying attention at all you’ll have some real questions after this episode, like how Megu-nee somehow got ahead of them and was already outside the barricade, and how she keeps disappearing then reappearing. Show Spoiler ▼

I appreciated what they did with Miki, and my guess is that they’ll actually have the same series of events, except when they get to the mall it’ll show what happened the first time they were there as a flashback.

So far, really impressed with this show!

• July 19, 2015 at 8:13 pmChar

Not a manga reader but you can also notice that Yuki (pink hair) is the only one having conversation with her. The others acknowledge her only when Yuki mentions her.

At this point I’m not entirely sure myself if she’s real or not but it just shows that the script is pretty damn good.

• July 19, 2015 at 8:21 pmChar

Also, after the twist, it made me pay more attention to the details of the scenes. During the last seconds of the ED, you see Yuki waking up and sees the 3 girls smiling at her. Then it pans to the side where she is all alone…

I am so scared of the future man…Please…Don’t go there….

*sobs*

• July 17, 2015 at 4:15 amewok40k

Shovel girl best girl of season – comment from online friend….

• July 17, 2015 at 9:50 amIncognito

Your friend has good taste. (No, really.)

Maybe because Kurumi’s a twin-tailed tsundere like KinMoza‘s Aya Komichi (or–to some extent–her GochiUsa counterpart, Rize Tedeza). Or maybe because she shares the same first name as Date A Live‘s best spirit (IMO)–who is incidentally also twin-tailed in her spirit form, albeit asymmetrical. LOL.

Goddamnit, I can’t believe I’m adding another show to watch this season (besides Prison School)… It’s no I Am a Hero, but this show will have to do in the absence of anime that fall under the “zombie apocalypse” genre (although juxtapositioning it with high school slice of life is one hell of a mind screw).

Also, those who tire of “cute girls doing cute things” (or moe in general) may get a kick out of cute girls getting infected/zombiefied.

• July 17, 2015 at 4:23 amDvalinn

This show is getting more interesting every episode. There’s a lot of things I like about it; the subtlety when dealing with its horror-elements, the constant contrast between Yuki’s superhappy world and the harsh reality as well as the fact that it can switch between atmospheres so well. Add to that well-paced storytelling (without infodumps) and plenty of room for speculation, and you’ve got a show that I’m already excited for to follow every week. The fact that it reminds me of Sora no Woto in a lot of ways helps as well (cause I really liked that anime).

If this show keeps impressing me, it’ll be the sleeper hit of the season.

I hope they keep changing that OP too, would be a nice touch.

• July 17, 2015 at 4:27 amJeffers

the moe mind fck is getting intense and unbearable in manga… imagine the possibility of every girl except yuki turns to undead.

• July 17, 2015 at 4:29 amJekoJeko

So much symbolism! I’ve never been happier as an obsessive English student. And not only that, but so much Shovel Knight this week too! The show is perfectly letting me into two of the cast’s heads – Yuki’s while Megu-not-with-us-anymore is around, and Kurumi’s while zombies bite the dust with the best use of censorship I’ve seen this year (sucks to be you, Prison School).

More of my thoughts here: https://unnecessaryexclamationmark.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/gakkou-gurashi-02/

Even Shovel Knight has a powerful reason for having a shovel. No shallow gimmicks in this show! Now, what’s the deep meaning behind Taroumaru’s rejection of Miki?

• July 17, 2015 at 4:42 amAex

ONLY problem with the manga’s pacing is that we probably won’t get to the full answer of your Megu-nee question… unless this is 2-cour. Is this 2-cour? Someone tell me this is 2-cour!!

Damn, it isn’t…

• July 17, 2015 at 4:50 amAex

And of course by “manga” I meant “anime”… way too hyped up for this early in the morning! Is it next week yet?!?!

• July 19, 2015 at 9:14 amRob

I’m hoping it will stop at a certain point and we get a sequel when there’s enough source material, rather than an anime original ending.

• July 17, 2015 at 4:57 amNamaewoinai

I saw the new OP and…yeah i’am kinda bit oblige for it!

• July 17, 2015 at 5:25 amcryarc

Don’t put spoiler in the open please…

• July 17, 2015 at 5:36 amNamaewoinai

……OOPS!! Sorry!

• July 18, 2015 at 3:22 pmTakaii

Spoiler tagged \o

• July 17, 2015 at 5:33 amnhelraios

Dont worry Yuki, everything is going to be diejobu.

• July 17, 2015 at 9:25 amTechim

I don’t know about you guys, but I sort of noticed something this episode..
    Yuki is the only one who has active conversations with Megu-sensei,
    while the only moments that the rest of the girls (Kurumi, Rii-san & Miki) interact with the sensei,
    they seem to be talking to Megu-sensei instead of talking with Megu-sensei..

This anime has much subtlety..

• July 17, 2015 at 2:45 pmDarkesper

Oh my god, this show is actually really friggin’ awesome. I truly hope the rest of the series is as fantastic as these first two episodes have been. Was not expecting this to the the show of all shows to catch my interest.

• July 17, 2015 at 4:59 pmos

very interesting show. I am watching this.

• July 17, 2015 at 5:29 pmNipah

Not only does the opening change but also the website (gakkougurashi.com) if you open it after midnight.

• July 18, 2015 at 6:26 amlegwkio

Kurumi is not a tsundere. Yes she has twintails but she’s not a tsundere. Rather, she’s a BADASS.

• July 18, 2015 at 5:56 pmqwert

I’m so afraid of watching this show. I put off watching the first episode for almost a full week and have yet to watch this episode.

When I started reading the manga way back the first thing that came to my mind was “why is this not an anime yet and why am I not watching it right now” and now that it’s actually happening all I can think of is if they’ll radically change anything or go for an anime original ending or how it could all go wrong…

• July 18, 2015 at 10:17 pmxaephi

I’m pretty sure the anime will end with them…

• July 19, 2015 at 8:38 amAex

Doubt it. They’re only going at the pace of one chapter to one episode right now. Probably more like it’ll end with Show Spoiler ▼

• July 23, 2015 at 9:24 amWorldwideDepp