Haikyuu!! Second Season – 23 »« Haikyuu!! Second Season – 21

Haikyuu!! Second Season – 22

“The Former Coward’s Fight”

「元・根性無しの戦い」 (Moto Konjou Nashi no Tatakai)

Yamaguchi – The Underdog Story:

This will be forever known as the Yamaguchi Episode. I mean, it’s hard to talk about anything else. This was all about the fated pinch server finally finding his feet and delivering not one, not two, not three, not even four, but five points for his team! When last week ended with him urging Coach Ukai to put him on the court, I was thrilled to realise what was coming. I can remember reading this part in the manga and thinking: “YES YAMAGUCHI! YOU’RE KILLING IT!”. That’s how I imagine anime viewers watching it for the first time must have felt – like those girls in the audience who can’t help but root for the underdog of the opposing team.

While this season has focused mainly on Hinata, Tsukishima, and established more recurring characters, Yamaguchi’s time in the spotlight was always destined to occur. He may have been in the background throughout many matches, but if you think back to him being called out this time last season, it shows how much he’s improved. He tried his best in the previous game – which allowed Ennoshita to prove his worth as the next captain of the team – but this was the match where he had to deliver no matter what, and boy, he delivered. The first point came as a surprise to Seijou, which allowed Yamaguchi to feel at ease and confident in his own ability, and I’m sure it helped that his whole team was cheering him on with every ounce of pride they could muster. It feels good to win, and finally Yamaguchi was all smiles and loving the thrill of driving the team to victory. With each passing serve, the thrills only got more intense, until eventually he was caught before he could secure Karasuno’s victory. He may not have gotten the 10 points that Hinata asked for, but half of that is still enough to make him the star of the match, even if he isn’t a regular player.

Unfortunately, Karasuno did end up losing the second set. With one each, history is repeating itself and it’s time for a final showdown. The race to get that two point lead was nerve wracking, allowing other characters to take over once Yamaguchi left the court. But as much as I love Tsukishima’s smile and smarts, it does feel strange that the third years get so little focus, especially since this could be their final match. But there’s still one more set left, so we shall see who will step forward when it matters most.

Overview – What’s Next?:

Compared to last week’s blitzfest of action, adrenaline, and impressive plays, this week was much slower and instead focused on Yamaguchi’s pinch serve. I wouldn’t say it was the most exciting episode of the series, but it was definitely one of the most rewarding. Nothing beats seeing an underdog succeed when given the oppertunity to prove themselves, and Yamaguchi certainly did that this week.

Full-length images: 21.

March 6, 2016 at 11:42 am
  • March 6, 2016 at 2:29 pmgandalf8

Our baby Yams has finally spread his wings and take flight. Too bad though that Karasuno just couldn’t secure the second set to win in straight sets. Although I wouldn’t want it any other way as Hinata and Kageyama still haven’t really shown their stuff. Kageyama especially hasn’t been shown that he can overcome Oikawa as a setter, so this third set is probably gonna be an eepic finale to the season.

• March 6, 2016 at 4:56 pmLeticia

Oh well, I cried womanly tears during Yamaguchi’s momentum ;___; What an awesome episode!! Such a shame they lost the set in the end, but it was clear that everything would be decided in one last epic set, ooooh myyy gooood, I’m so excited for the next episodes, although I don’t want it to end yet ahhhhh

• March 6, 2016 at 5:29 pmPurpleBomber

I will be very disappointed if season 3 isn’t announced immediately after the final episode.

• March 6, 2016 at 5:38 pmSamu

That’s very unlikely as there’s not enough source material to for another 2-cour season. If it gets announced, expect it in a year’s time.

• March 6, 2016 at 7:31 pmAndré

Man, more people should watch this.

• March 6, 2016 at 7:40 pmCarma

The best part for me was Shimada, the guy that helped Yamaguchi with his jump serve trying to keep it cool after his first point. And can we talk about the music? It was fantastic!

And Tanaka’s speach about mental strenght, something that Baby Steps did as well, “You need to make sure you grasp this good feeling and never forget it, so you can use it later”, as a way to let your body and mind remember how to play at top level at every ocasion, something Tanaka excels at it.

I didn’t understand something about Daichi’s monologue, the phrase he says “They were supposed to be beneath us”, maybe I need to read the manga once again.

• March 6, 2016 at 8:11 pmcookiethief

That was oikawa’s/aoba josai’s dialogue. Just another way of reflecting how similar both teams are, and how desperately both 3rd yr captains want to win

• March 6, 2016 at 11:47 pmTassadar

During this I was still trying to cheer with arms in the air, while laughing out loud at those 2 trying to run in the court!

• March 7, 2016 at 4:59 amhowdoyoulikeyoureggs

Tears were flowing when Yamaguchi did those serves. I was jumping up in my seat cheering, the mood was so contagious!!

• March 7, 2016 at 6:12 pmSamu

I pretty much cheer and fistpump my way through every Haikyuu!! episode. It’s a great feeling.

• March 7, 2016 at 1:34 pmAbs

Hey Samu,

You said if it get’s announced expect it in a year. What are the chances of a third season? Is it a popular anime/manga back in Japan?

• March 7, 2016 at 6:11 pmSamu

The sales for S2 are down compared to S1, but it’s still one of the better selling anime of the season year. The franchise is still mega popular (at its peak it was higher than KnB ever was). Chances of a S3 are pretty solid, I’d say.

• March 8, 2016 at 12:38 pmAbs

Cheers Samu

Loving this show, still just behind Touch and Baby Steps in my all time sports anime list though.