「お泊まりしたら仲良くなれると思った？」 (Otomari shitara Nakayoku nareru to Omotta?)
“I Thought If We Stayed Over, We Would Get Along Better?”
It’s a bouncy, fluffy, squishy sleepover.
Fluffy Friendly Antics
I don’t know if it was, but this had an anime original feeling to it, or at least like an OVA. That’s not to say that nothing of consequence happened, but almost nothing did—Nanako asked the question someone should have asked long ago, the others were tainted by Ako, and that was it. On the one hand, I enjoyed this episode—it was funny, friendly, and more than a little sexy, and I now know that I need more smug Ako in my life (poor Akane). On the other hand, this is the kind of episode that is liable to fade from memory almost immediately—it’s cotton candy rather than a succulent cake. As long as there are no pacing problems later on, I’ll probably end up remembering this one fondly, though.
Talking About Rusian
The only substantive complaint I have about this episode is how often the girls talked about Hideki. It makes sense to a large degree—he’s the only member of their group who’s missing, and he looms so large in Ako’s mind that he’s bound to come up often. They did seem to bring him up too often, though—for example, when Akane mentioned him not being able to join in on the bath event even if he had been there. The male lead can sometimes suck all the oxygen out of the room until everyone seems focused on him, which isn’t ideal. Hideki hasn’t had that problem often, but this was one time.
I did appreciate some of the talking-about-Rusian scenes, though. The bath scene, of course—which was bolstered by a non-Hideki topic when Akane indulged in some rare albeit justified oppai envy—but also the one between Akane and Kyou where Akane was worried about whether she was too harsh to Hideki most of the time. It’s sadly rare, but so enjoyable to see a boy/girl relationship in anime where both parties are intent on remaining friends, with no hint of shipping. That is to say, Hideki’s friendship is important to Akane, she likes the guy and doesn’t want to be too harsh to him, so she was worried. Friendship, d’aawww!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Fluffy sleepover episode, with lots of fanservice & talking about Rusian. Also, boobs #netoge 09
- I laughed when Kyou revealed that actually, her house doesn’t have maids, they’re all just employees cosplaying. Who do I have to bribe to see Ako in one of those outfits? Don’t ruin this for us, Akane!
- There’s a melon joke in there somewhere. Two of ’em, probably.
- What’s your favorite: Ako x Nanako yuri, or Akane x Nanako yuri? I definitely favor the latter. The Ako/Hideki OTP can’t be broken up, but another OTP would be great. Then that clears the way for Kyou x Sensei? Approved on all counts!
- Ako is the abyss that gazes back. She’s like a Lovecraftian deity of net game love. The scary thing? She almost has a point. The corruption is spreading!
- Master is still the best Apricot, but the others aren’t too shaby either.
My first novel, Wage Slave Rebellion, is available now. (More info—now in paperback!) Sign up for my email list for a FREE sequel novella. Over at stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: I love sales jobs, Good realism is character realism, Dying idols, and Frictionless routines.