「春野菜とベーコンのサンドイッチ」 (Haru Yasai to Bacon no Sandwich)
“Spring Greens and Bacon Sandwich”
In the spirit of Easter, Emiya’s bringing out the eggs. Or rather, it’s a pivotal backbone to the sandwich that he finds goes well with spring greens to ensure you prep up your seasonal veggies in a manner outside of the standard dishes they would’ve been put into before Emiya showed up to the Ryuudou Temple. As always, it was great to see a different side of the servants and masters of Stay Night, and this time around, we got to see Reikan and Issei Ryuudou relax with some sandwiches alongside Emiya’s boss Neko.
While it was nice to see Reikan and Neko catch up on lost time as old classmates from Emiya’s high school, the servants were much more fun to follow. Our two-star servant Assassin is given nuance as a refined gentleman who is taken aback from how much he enjoyed something as simple as a sandwich from Emiya. Sadly, we don’t get as much of Caster in this installment, but it was quite fun to see how her desire to cook for Souichirou influenced how many state-of-the-art appliances are in the temple’s kitchen as well as how she does her part to spruce up the temple and the reaction she has towards Assassin’s request for more sandwiches.
And because these episodes are short and I enjoy copying the subtitles, here’s a breakdown of this month’s recipe for:
Emiya’s Spring Greens and Bacon Sandwich
1. Make two different sauces:
– Mustard butter spread: Mix Japanese mustard and butter together.
– Sandwich sauce: Mix together mayo, whole grain mustard, honey, and course ground black pepper.
2. Boil your Spring Greens stalk-first since those are tougher to soften.
3. Once they’re done boiling, cool them off in ice water and thoroughly drain them of water.
4. Make scrambled eggs (Everyone has their own trick to them whether it’s your standard diner variant or the classic custard-esque version that Gordon Ramsay’s popular video touches on, but in layman’s terms, you pan-fry whisked eggs).
5. Fry up some bacon in oil and pat them dry once they get crispy to your liking (Emiya does low-medium heat)
6. Stack them all on the bread by the order of: Bread, Mustard Spread, Bacon, Spring Greens, Sandwich Sauce, Scrambled Egg, Bread
7. Weigh down the finished sandwiches with something light to flatten them for 5-10 minutes.
8. Slice your sandwiches and serve them to your servant-of-choice.