Boku no Hero Academia – 53 »« Boku no Hero Academia – 51

Boku no Hero Academia – 52

OP5 Sequence

OP5: 「Make my Story」 by Lenny Code Fiction

「編め必殺技」 (Ame Hissatsuwaza)
“Create Those Ultimate Moves”

First: new OP and ED! I like them both, but especially the ED, because it doesn’t have the huge tonal clash with the series the last ED had. Seriously, I jammed the pause button down every time that one came on, because it was almost always wholly inappopriate for what was happening in the series right prior. See the editorial I wrote on OPs and EDs a while back. I should probably revisit that sometime.

Into the meat of the episode. I find the whole ultimate moves thing a little silly, it’s one of the times when it’s more noticeable that HeroAca’s competing loyalties between the tropes of the superhero genre and having greater fidelity to reality than most other superhero stories are straining at each other. Simply put, it’s a little too tropey, when what pitching many of the same ideas in different ways would require less justification (and, crucially, less exposition and boring conversation). That said, the actual process of developing said ultimate moves is really fun, and when we consider it as the characters diving down into their strengths and building out their toolkit with powerful moves that will aid them in a variety of situations, it’s a thoroughly worthy exercise.

And the answer that Izuku ultimately arrives at is a satisfying one. He’s been imitating All Might so much that he’s made decisions without even realizing it, and that is indeed a set of shackles, as Gran Torino so rightly put it. The simple switch from using his fists to using his legs is a profound one, because while punches are usually better in a fist fight (they’re more reliable with fewer downsides), Izuku has long been developing into a more surgical version of All Might, more suited to leveraging his greater tactical affinity to apply his power at the right place in the right moment, as opposed to blasting his way through all opposition. He’s more of an aerial/agility hero, not a ground pounder, and this suits him better. It also reminds me of a paragraph from Conan O’Brien’s Commencement Address at Dartmouth back in 2011. Quote:

“Way back in the 1940s there was a very, very funny man named Jack Benny. He was a giant star, easily one of the greatest comedians of his generation. And a much younger man named Johnny Carson wanted very much to be Jack Benny. In some ways he was, but in many ways he wasn’t. He emulated Jack Benny, but his own quirks and mannerisms, along with a changing medium, pulled him in a different direction. And yet his failure to completely become his hero made him the funniest person of his generation. David Letterman wanted to be Johnny Carson, and was not, and as a result my generation of comedians wanted to be David Letterman. And none of us are. My peers and I have all missed that mark in a thousand different ways. But the point is this : It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique. It’s not easy, but if you accept your misfortune and handle it right, your perceived failure can become a catalyst for profound re-invention.”

That, but with superheroes.

But perhaps my favorite part of the episode was the return of Hatsume Mei. Not just because her actions and oppai were getting all sorts of reactions out of both Izuku and Ochako, though yes, heartily enjoyed. It’s also because of the way genius, in her case, is portrayed. With Hatsume Mei, it’s not necessarily that she’s good at creating gadgets. What makes her special is that she’s intensely driven, creating even in her free time, and that she’s very comfortable with failure. It’s not her skills that make her special, it’s her worldview and mental paradigms that are pivotally different, and that’s a much better map for what makes a true innovater than any seemingly inborn “genius” skill. That kind of genius may exist, but it’s frequently useless. I know people who are better writers than me, and yet I’ve written two books and they have not, because I applied and developed my skills whereas they did not—and I also know people who are worse writers than me, but have published more than two books, the latest of which are better than mine, because they have applied and developed their skills more than I have. (A state of affairs I intend to rectify, by the way.)

All of which is to say: I don’t care how naturally good someone is. That’s nice, but it’s not especially important. What matters is what you do with it, and what makes Hatsume Mei so formidable is that she does. She does and does and does, even when she perhaps shouldn’t. She will, indeed, be a formidable name in the hero ecosystem in the future, provided that ecosystem can survive the assault from the League of Villains. We shall see.

Random thoughts:

My SECOND novel, Freelance Heroics, is available now! (Now in print!) (Also available: Firesign #1 Wage Slave Rebellion.) Sign up for my email list for updates. At stephenwgee.com, the latest post: Risk Tolerance in the Creative Life.

ED6 Sequence

ED6: 「ロングホープ・フィリア」 (Long Hope Philia) by Suda Masaki

July 15, 2018 at 12:12 am
  • July 15, 2018 at 1:54 amTFL

I really love what they did with Bakugo and Deku infront of All Might in the OP, not to give too much away but expect alot out of our resident trigger tempered hot blooded explosion boy

• July 15, 2018 at 2:19 amjhpace1

The best way to court Hatsume Mei would be to show her the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s series of Iron Man movies in a home theater.

I just realized, Momo Yaoyorozu could copy Midnight’s (Nemuri Kayama) costume and powers, by way of her Creation for both the suit and the gas.

It’s good the kids are learning “ultimate moves” early, but there’s a heavy registration/learning curve outlined by the teachers just to get their provisional licenses.

• July 15, 2018 at 6:58 pmRedRocket

Considering that Midnight’s original costume covered almost nothing but the most taboo parts I would say Momo and Midnight would probably fight best nude. I know authorities forced Midnight to cover most of herself so her costume is easy to tear but I do not recall it doing anything but reducing the limitation of wearing it.

• July 15, 2018 at 4:04 amTFL

Between his hood, the kicks and his reputation as a cinnamon bun, Deku is really turning into a bunny isn’t he.

I kinda want to see him work with Show Spoiler ▼

• July 15, 2018 at 6:32 amDude

The agility and speed of a rabbit, the toughness of a tank.

Rabbit! Tank! Best Match!

• July 15, 2018 at 5:23 amKurisu Vi Britannia

MY BABIES!

• July 15, 2018 at 5:23 amWanderer

For those who are wondering, it appears that Tsuyu is camouflaging herself here. Patterns of the rocks are slowly becoming visible on her body. I think they should have spent another couple seconds focusing on her, so the effect would be more apparent.

• July 15, 2018 at 12:55 pmGuile

I was wondering about that! At first I thought she was glowing, had to rewind and watch through again.

• July 15, 2018 at 12:56 pmGuile

Oh yeah, also:
        This suggests she can maybe do anything ANY kind of frog can, so… spitting blood from her eyes as a distance attack when?

• July 15, 2018 at 1:27 pmyoloalchemist

….Sorry Ochako, but that face of yours is too hard for me not to enjoy XD

I bet Katsuki is gonna be even more pissed at Izuku for “imitating” him.

And I loved everything about the new ED. It feels so appropriate after what happened in the last arc.

• July 15, 2018 at 3:06 pmsosbrigade1991

The beauty of this show is how well it utilizes its large cast of characters. Also that new Opening is lit as hell. Pumped for this new arc.

• July 15, 2018 at 4:13 pmRedRocket

I think the Super Hero world has gotten it self-traped in a, I believe the word is meta-thinking. Meta’s work for those who invented them and those closely like them but every time I have run into one in life or a game the meta is being used by a huge number of people that because they are casually copying someone else is doing worse and suffering than if they did not follow the meta. I think in the getting public support side of being a hero in this world the ultimate move makes sense as it grabs the public’s attention. But in actual ultimate moves will often get you defeated by villains who know them well. Real world fighters often have a version of one or more ultimate moves but we rarely call them that because a fighter normally needs a much larger set of moves to win as their opponent will try to counter their opponents best moves and thus the ultimate moves become non ultimate because they are failing. Ultimate moves in real fights are what works to take out opponents not at your level fast. In an example, a fighter is known for armbars and winning fights in seconds with them finally lose to a range puncher who does not let them close.
    I love Hatsume and would love it if eventually, she becomes a hero because of her sponsors saying if you really want to sell your gadgets you need to show that someone like you with a quirk of minimum combat value can be a hero. Or at least Hatsume supports a mentally and physically gifted non-quirk person into being a significant hero using her combat rigs. But I prefer Hatsume drafted to the hero class or becoming a reluctant hero later so we see a lot of her.
    It is strange there are no all gadget hero’s that we know of as Batman and Iron Man types are popular in hero comics. I suspect this was to make Deku’s story work as a quirk less person with no hope.

• July 15, 2018 at 4:23 pmstarss

I was wondering when Hatsume came back, and boy is she going to spam all the popularity votes now!