Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi – 01 »

Yozakura Quartet – 01

OP Sequence:

Yozakura Quartet   OP   01 Yozakura Quartet   OP   02 Yozakura Quartet   OP   03

OP: “JUST TUNE” by savage genius
Watch the OP!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Show Streaming ▼

Yozakura Quartet   01   01 Yozakura Quartet   01   02 Yozakura Quartet   01   03
Yozakura Quartet   01   04 Yozakura Quartet   01   05 Yozakura Quartet   01   06
Yozakura Quartet   01   07 Yozakura Quartet   01   08 Yozakura Quartet   01   09
Yozakura Quartet   01   10 Yozakura Quartet   01   11 Yozakura Quartet   01   12
Yozakura Quartet   01   13 Yozakura Quartet   01   14 Yozakura Quartet   01   15
Yozakura Quartet   01   16 Yozakura Quartet   01   17 Yozakura Quartet   01   18
Yozakura Quartet   01   19 Yozakura Quartet   01   20 Yozakura Quartet   01   21
Yozakura Quartet   01   22 Yozakura Quartet   01   23 Yozakura Quartet   01   24
Yozakura Quartet   01   25 Yozakura Quartet   01   26 Yozakura Quartet   01   27
Yozakura Quartet   01   28 Yozakura Quartet   01   29 Yozakura Quartet   01   30
Yozakura Quartet   01   31 Yozakura Quartet   01   32 Yozakura Quartet   01   33
Yozakura Quartet   01   34 Yozakura Quartet   01   35 Yozakura Quartet   01   36

ED Sequence:

Yozakura Quartet   ED   01 Yozakura Quartet   ED   02 Yozakura Quartet   ED   03

ED: “Nagareboshi” 「ナガレボシ」 by ROUND TABLE featuring Nino
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Show Streaming ▼

「サクラサク」 (Sakura Saku)
“Sakura Blooms”

First Glance:
Youkai vs. youkai battles take place in the cohabited human/youkai town of Sakurashinmachi on Thursdays in Yozakura Quartet. Adapted from the manga of the same name, the series revolves around a group of youkai teenagers that maintain order in their town by fighting against other youkai who threaten their peacefully coexistence with humans. In a small company led by Hiizumi Akina (Kaji Yuuki), the superhuman strength mayor Yarizakura Hime (Fukuen Misato), mind-reader Nanami Ao (Fujita Saki), and kotodama conjurer Isone Kotoha (Sawashiro Miyuki) maintain order in the town, but also perform the odd job here and there. While it’s easy to make the comparson to Rental Magica with Akina being the “somewhat unreliable yet key president character” akin to Itsuki Iba (much like Omni mentioned in his Fall Preview), I actually find that the similarities tend to end there. Granted the supernatural premise remains, but instead of an Astral magician dispatch service, we have an interesting setting in Sakurashinmachi where half the inhabitants are human and the other half are youkai. With that said, I liked Rental Magica quite a bit, so having a something along the same lines is appealing to me. My only complaint at the moment is that the first broadcast is in 4:3 instead of 16:9 when the series was clearly produced in widescreen, much like in To LOVE-Ru‘s case before.

On the topic of production, Yozakura Quartet’s animation was done by Nomad, the studio that brought us Rozen Maiden and sola, two series I enjoyed a fair bit. As such, I find that the visuals look good, but don’t particular stand out by any means. Matsuo Kou leads the production as the director, with the aforementioned Rozen Maiden and recent kurenai under his belt, which will hopefully translate into a well structured series. For a first episode though, the characters are what caught my eye the most, as there’s something about Hime’s personality and long flowing scarf that appeals to me. She’s rather serious for the most part, but has a goofy side that comes across well thanks to Fukuen Misato. (I guess even with health reasons, it would be dumb to turn down starring roles.) This is also one of the few series featuring Sawashiro Miyuki this season, so her playful yet somewhat psychotic portrayal of Kotoha is fun to watch as well. Music-wise, I really like the opening song and have been listening to it over and over again, but I admittedly haven’t heard anything from savage genius before. As for the opening sequence, it’s reminiscent of the funky style used in kurenai‘s OP, whereas the constantly changing color palettes of the ending sequence is something new to me. The ending song is performed by the usual “ROUND TABLE featuring Nino” duo, whose songs from Chobits and ARIA I absolutely loved, with “Nagareboshi” being no different.

Evidently though, there isn’t a whole lot else captivating my interest in what initially comes off as a generic looking series; therefore, I’m torn as to whether or not to follow it. It’s only slated for one season (something I tend to prefer lately) and has a strong support cast (see below), so I’m inclined to give it a couple more episodes before I decide. Thursdays is definitely not short on shows to watch though, with three more scheduled to premiere next week, so I’m going to have to juggle my priorities accordingly.

Notable Cast:
- Hiizumi Akina (比泉 秋名) : Kaji Yuuki (梶 裕貴)
- Yarizakura Hime (槍桜 ヒメ) : Fukuen Misato (福圓 美里)
- Nanami Ao (七海 アオ) : Fujita Saki (藤田 咲)
- Isone Kotoha (五十音 ことは) : Sawashiro Miyuki (沢城 みゆき)
- Hiizumi Enjin (比泉 円神) : Seki Tomokazu (関 智一)
- Kishi Kyousuke (岸 恭助) : Ono Daisuke (小野 大輔)
- Kishi Touka (岸 桃華) : Tomatsu Haruka (戸松 遥)
- Azuma Rin (東 鈴) : Matayoshi Ai (又吉 愛)
- Shinatsuhiko Yuuhi (士夏彦 雄飛) : Matsumoto Sachi (松本 さち)
- Mariabelle (マリアベル) : Tanaka Rie (田中 理恵)
- Shinatsuhiko Yae (士夏彦 八重) : Kuwatani Natsuko (桑谷 夏子)
- V Juri F (V・じゅり・F) : Ookubo Aiko (大久保 藍子)

October 3, 2008 at 4:11 am
  • October 3, 2008 at 4:16 amEri

I’ll also give this a try.

• October 3, 2008 at 4:19 amdivine

Eri:
    The trick is to give everything a try I think. :)

• October 3, 2008 at 4:44 amA Anime Loving Republican

I watching this.

• October 3, 2008 at 4:58 amPanther

I has to watch this.

• October 3, 2008 at 5:17 amHikari

The character designs really make me interested in this show. I’m definitely watching this.

• October 3, 2008 at 5:49 amChimasternmay

i like this one cause it has action, and its bright with daylight, and its not purposely darkened even in the day time stuff.

• October 3, 2008 at 6:00 amcalde

This show is made with the method of pre-scoring(recording voices before drawing pictures), just like other recent works by the directer Kou Matsuo, Red Garden and kurenai, and this time actually has some pretty good action sequences as a pre-scoring production. While pre-scoring is very good for drama-oriented anime, I guess it’s pretty hard to make action-oriented anime with that method.
    Anyway, action-wise and drama-wise, this 1st episode looks pretty promising to me.

As for the shows which already have the 1st episode broadcasted so far, Yozakura, Akane-iro and Tora-Dora appear to be the ones I will stick(at least) for a while, although we have quite a few more shows to come out this month.

• October 3, 2008 at 6:52 amSadmask

Gods damn AO

• October 3, 2008 at 7:12 amEirias

Is one season defined as 13 or 26 episodes? With Eureka Seven and the Gundams going fifty, I’m never sure.

• October 3, 2008 at 7:55 amget

hopefully it gets subbed quickly looks nice

• October 3, 2008 at 8:37 ammoondoggiebuiscuit

@divine
    Well said! You won’t know until you try. That is the nature of all hobbies.

And remember our motto:AEIOU

All of Earth Is Our Underwear ~just a random thing!~

• October 3, 2008 at 8:40 amJT

don’t think the male lead will be as weak as mentioned in the review. at least the opening song don’t look so

• October 3, 2008 at 9:57 amlinkinstreet

the mango was awesome. Kinda sad that my local Kinokuniya stocked only up to volume 3, and I still have yet to get my hand on the other volumes ;A;. and Divine, the scarf is essential to Hime’s life and her work as mayor. That’s all I can say at this time.

• October 3, 2008 at 10:31 amSilver

@ linkinstreet

Haha, yes, mangos are awesome and delicious… Lol. Just playing around. Anyway, yeah, it does look somewhat interesting so let see how it goes.

• October 3, 2008 at 1:37 pmlunchbox

i’ll give this a shot…but im still a lil iffy on this one

• October 3, 2008 at 2:55 pmmichiko

@Eirias

It depends on the series, as you might guess. It might help to be aware that a year has 52 weeks: if a series airs roughly one episode a week, then a 13 episode series would take up a quarter of the year while a 26 episode series would run for half a year.

It’s somewhat arbitrary on what exactly “one season” is. Longer series, like Eureka 7 and Gundam, might air 26 episodes and then take a break for about half a year before airing the remaining 26 episodes. With such a long break between halves of the series, it could count as a “first season” and “second season”, particularly with since long series like Gundam Wing and Blood+ had about 50-ish episodes run pretty much week-after-week without more a two week break at most. Try not to be surprised if recap episodes appear right around the episode 25-27 mark in those cases…

• October 3, 2008 at 5:50 pmexpo25kr

Even though it seems kind of cliche, I still liked the characters quite a lot so I feel like this is going to be a great series this season. :D

• October 3, 2008 at 6:02 pmvaguesomethings

Interested to see how this series goes. Just recently looked at the manga, and it has a rather different feel from the first anime episode. The first 2 vols of the manga felt more like a study of odd characters in an overall odd town with some slightly dark edges. It was a rather fun and quirky manga, I found.

Hime (or rather Mayor!) most definitely does have her goofy side – especially around food. I am looking forward to see how they do her “tsun tsun dere tsun” song.

One I’ll be keeping an eye, if not just for the fact this is the director of Kurenai at work here.

• October 3, 2008 at 10:01 pmZetsubou

definately giving this a try ;D

• October 3, 2008 at 10:48 pmGojiro88

“My only complaint at the moment is that the first broadcast is in 4:3 instead of 16:9 when the series was clearly produced in widescreen”

How can you tell? Does the broadcast give it away, or was it mentioned somewhere that it was produced in widescreen? I’m not trying to say that you’re wrong, I’m just curious as to how you deduced that, that’s all.

• October 3, 2008 at 11:32 pmdivine

Gojiro88:
    A completely valid question. I guess I should’ve been more clear about it. Much like in CLANNAD’s broadcast, the brief overlay message on the top right-hand corner indicating that there are subtitles (字幕) available is clearly cut off. You can verify this in the first few seconds of the OP video above.

• October 4, 2008 at 1:01 amcalde

I guess this show itself is a 4:3 aspect ratio production, just broadcasted with 16:9 Japanese Degital TV format.

A few things I’ve noticed.
    This town is a junction of this world and the other world(world of the dead?). Seven gigantic sakura trees probably has something to do with that. The town seems to be officially considered as a place for youkais, and highly likely given a kind of extra-territorial rights by the (human’s)government.
    Hime “the Mayor” is vertually a sheriff of the town. In order to keep her town safe, she seeks help from a group of social workers. Akina is their leader. He is not a youkai but a human, although he has supernatural power to banish youkais to the other world. Ao is a mind-reader, as a youkai named Satori. Kotoha uses kotodama, which means she can materialize things she says as a word. Kyousuke is Hime’s right hand man or a butler. Although he is not a member of “the quartet”, he joins party to assist Hime.

• October 4, 2008 at 1:01 amnozomi

Seems interesting enough, I just hope I’ll stay interested till the end. Thursday is going to be a crazy day of anime marathon, it seems. Thank you divine for listing the seiyuu, which I think is the only deciding factor why I would continue to follow this show for a little while.

• October 4, 2008 at 2:14 amdivine

calde:
    I’m fairly sure that TBS is simply broadcasting it in 4:3 when it’s actually produced in 16:9. As usual, BS-i will air the widescreen version, but unfortunately that doesn’t start until three weeks later.

• October 4, 2008 at 3:31 amsoloista

It still looks like I should stick to the manga for this version.

• October 5, 2008 at 2:10 amPutang

hmm dunno if someone posted it already but :O!

reminds me of Kamisama Kazoku or whatever it was o_o…

and I loved that series… therefore I’m gonna watch this, hopefully its as good

• October 5, 2008 at 6:05 pmshuffleair

@Putang: Woah. It does sort of remind me of Kamisama Kazoku. Well, the animation style that is.

• October 5, 2008 at 8:05 pmMike

I goner love this series.

Reasons:
    1. Similar to Rental Magica, one of my most favorite show. ^_^
    2. Kotodama just so cool and fun, not to mention her VA is the same as the one play Shinku in Rozen Maiden.
    3. When kotodama went crazy with the machine gun, doesn’t that remind u of Fist of the North Star.

• October 17, 2008 at 1:59 amPinkJelly

First glance at the title and I thought it was about music. Guess not. The characters look nicely drawn. Yep, I’m gonna try this one.