GIANT KILLING – 26 (END) »« GIANT KILLING – 24

GIANT KILLING   25   25 GIANT KILLING   25   26 GIANT KILLING   25   27
GIANT KILLING   25   28 GIANT KILLING   25   29 GIANT KILLING   25   30
GIANT KILLING   25   31 GIANT KILLING   25   32 GIANT KILLING   25   33
GIANT KILLING   25   34 GIANT KILLING   25   35 GIANT KILLING   25   36
GIANT KILLING   25   37 GIANT KILLING   25   38 GIANT KILLING   25   39

「#25」

The short version of this post would be, “Wow.” Thanks to the climactic end to ETU’s biggest game that spanned seven episodes, this series sure delivered one adrenaline-pumping finish to the series. The excitement was off the scale and reminded me exactly why I picked up this show in the first place. It gave me goosebumps! The biggest surprise is that Natsuki wasn’t able to make good on the chances Gino gave him, but Sugie sure did when ETU was awarded a free kick from Hiraga hauling down Tsubaki. I still can’t believe Hiraga didn’t even get a yellow card for such a blatant play, but the fake-out from Akasaki and Gino on their set play sure made up for it. I absolutely loved the overdramatic way the tying goal played out on Osaka’s side too, because everyone was freaking out when it wasn’t Akasaki taking the free kick. “It’s Gino!” It was even better when Hiraga realized just moments before Gino sent the ball over to Sugie too, since it served as an extra kick in the face to the highly touted Gunners. What happened to all those national team representatives on the defense Osaka!? *does a victory dance*

Coming into this episode, I was really hoping that Tsubaki would score — I really did. In fact, I even had the same look of disbelief on my face when he rung it off the crossbar after receiving a pass from Murakoshi. However, after all that build up that Sera got about his struggles as a forward and never being able to score a goal despite his desperate struggle to do so, it felt only befitting that he’d score the winning goal here and pull off the biggest upset of the season. It may not have been the prettiest goal, diving head first at a rebound and sacrificing his body in the face of Terauchi’s clearing attempt, but it reiterated the fact that Sera’s a player who wasn’t blessed with the talent or the physique to be a superstar yet can still contribute within his limitations by working hard. In a way, it was almost an underdog story within an underdog story, so it was nice to see both him and the team rewarded in the best way possible — giving the undefeated Osaka Gunners their first loss of the season. While this may only be sports anime, the uproar from the crowd and just ecstatic celebration from the team was just awesome to take in. It’s a bit of a shame that Sakai didn’t have a role in this game outside of encouraging Sera when he was injured though. In lieu, reserve forward Miyano and midfielder Hotta sure filled in nicely for Akasaki and Sugie after their tying goal.

Ultimately, the most credit goes to Tatsumi and his strategy revolving around Dulfer’s hesitation to switch out Hiraga. By the time Dulfer finally caved that he had to take his captain and Hauer out, it had already become a huge mind game that him and his players had already lost to. There may not have been any sparks in the closing handshake between the two, but it wasn’t hard to sense the frustration in Dulfer’s eyes. The final group shot of ETU on the other hand was simply bad ass and had me really hoping that their eventual rematch will be animated some day. The next and final episode looks like it’s going to be a purely epilogue-type one, with the exception being Akasaki’s invitation to the Olympic team. Somehow, a lighthearted ending with a curry party feels like a good note to conclude things on.

GIANT KILLING   25   Preview 01 GIANT KILLING   25   Preview 02 GIANT KILLING   25   Preview 03
September 21, 2010 at 11:29 pm
  • September 21, 2010 at 11:42 pmBluth

Please God let there be more seasons in the future.

I want to see the continued rise of ETU, I want to see players like Tsubaki and Akasaki become a National team players, I want to see Murakoshi have his testimonial before retiring, I want to see more antics from Natsuki, I want to see ETU become a player in the race for the championship, I want more Giant Killing.

• September 21, 2010 at 11:49 pmTDRKZ

Oh man. Next episode seems… not football related.

• September 22, 2010 at 3:27 amsto

i would have been happy if the series ended with this episode! it was epic and had me smiling from ear to ear at the unexpected scorers =D

• September 22, 2010 at 7:22 amrichard

Best episode!!

I really hope there’s a second second in the near future. I’m trying not to read the manga :P

• September 23, 2010 at 6:32 pmbabawaba

The manga is either not being translated or its way behind the anime. I think its the first option though.

• September 22, 2010 at 7:53 amIsland Esper

Gosh!!! just think all the money lost in the underground gambling business this upset did. The odds could be easy 50 to 1… Those additional 4 minutes added at the end did made the difference. I hope next chapter does indeed give us some closure. There are still a couple of story arcs that could have been developed. Also the “regular” season is not over, so a second season of the quarter finals and finals will really be great to watch. Maybe a “friendly” game against the national team with the French coach!! That will make a great four part OVA … sweet

• September 22, 2010 at 4:08 pmSecsuey

this episode was just Fucking awesome, it has been a while since any anime got me this excited
    there must be a second season!

• September 22, 2010 at 4:13 pmRyuGuitarFreak

My god, let there be more Giant Killing. It’s just too awesome.

• September 22, 2010 at 4:48 pmmiden

Giant Killing was so fantastic. I’m at a loss for words how exciting this anime is! Sure kept me on the edge!

• September 23, 2010 at 4:57 pmBoozerX

The world need more sport anime.

• September 26, 2010 at 2:34 pmstatictravel

Man, that’s exactly how awesome real soccer can be, and if a sports anime can convey that, it has hit the point.
    It reminded me of Calcio Catania(my hometown serie A team, therefore my favourite one) vs Inter Milan last march: the superteam (who would go on to dominate championship, home cup and champions league) with the best coach (Josè Mourinho, which I may say could have been an inspiration for the Tatsumi character) versus the proverbial underdog of the tournament, recovering from an abysmal first leg (before coach change we were last).
    In the second half, after a wonderful first half for Catania holding off Inter’s forwards, Diego Milito scores for Inter. After that the closest thing to awesome happened; Maxi Lopez stealing the time to Inter’s defence pack, Mascara scoring a breathtaking penalty and Martinez dribbling the whole defence pack and goalie (Juliio Cesar, the best in Europe last year) to put it in the net for the final 3-1

tl; dr

search for “catania-inter 3-1″ on youtube and get the chills like i do as i’m even writing this.