Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – 04 »« Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – 02

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – 03

OP1.5 Sequence

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   OP1.5   01 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   OP1.5   02 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   OP1.5   03
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   OP1.5   04 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   OP1.5   05 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   OP1.5   06

OP: 「Last vision for last」 by 飛蘭 (Faylan)
Watch the OP!: Download, Streaming ▼

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   01 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   02 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   03
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   04 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   05 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   06
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   07 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   08 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   09
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   10 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   11 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   12
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   13 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   14 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   15
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   16 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   17 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   18
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   19 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   20 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   21
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   22 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   23 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   24
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   25 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   26 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   27
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   28 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   29 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   30
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   31 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   32 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   33
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   34 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   35 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   36
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   37 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   38 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   39

「剣姫(マスターサムライ)の正体」 (Tsurugi Hime (Masutaa Samurai) no Shoutai)
“The Sword Princess’ (Master Samurai) True Identity”

Seeing as all the female characters have yet to be introduced, I haven’t even considered comparing the ones seen thus far. However, if I were to make an early pick, Sen would be my favorite at the moment with that feisty tsundere-like attitude of hers. She makes it no secret that she’s unhappy about the child-like Jubei cuddling up next to Muneakira either, so it’s a lot of fun hearing Kotobuki Minako spout out all the pent-up jealous rage like she never could in her K-ON role. Jubei herself would be right behind Sen in my books, simply because she has that badass master samurai side of her juxtaposing the naive and playful one. The whole split personality that comes with a five million power rating is a cheap way of giving some added dimension to her character, but works well considering it provides a means to shift between the lighthearted humor and the crazy samurai action in this series. It also lets me hear more of Yuuki Aoi experimenting with the lowest, mean-sounding voice she could muster, which I haven’t gotten the least bit tired of yet. In fact, this past year of anime has pretty much put Aoi dead center on my seiyuu radar for future series, much like it has on everyone’s casting sheets as well. She’s definitely one 18 year-old seiyuu worth keeping an eye on in 2011. Though less likely, I’m hoping that fellow 18 year-old Minako starts getting some more roles too.

Story-wise, this episode delved into Jubei’s master samurai designation, and the confusion over how she doesn’t seem to possess any of the insanely powerful swordsmanship demonstrated earlier. After the quirky yet cute humor over the dinner Muneakira was forced to cook, the revelation that Sen’s been looking into the mysterious disappearances of students cast more doubt over her brother Yoshihiko. In particular, the way he just told Sen that Sanada and Matabee are behind the incidents with no basis made it pretty apparent in my eyes that he’s looking for someone else to take the blame. As if to serve as an immediate opposition to that suspicion, Jubei’s nightmare of her other self seemed to suggest that she was or is going to be at odds with Yoshihiko in the future. Either way, it put an interesting spin on Sanada’s feng shui premonition that Jubei will cast a shadow over Great Japan, seeing as the Yukimura technique used to restrain evil had absolutely no effect on her. Clearly, Jubei’s not as bad as the previous episode probably wanted us to believe. What’s more, it turns out that Muneakira is her general (i.e. master/commander), whom she needs to kiss to unleash her full powers. As such, it’s probably safe to say that the badass introduction of her character was to showcase what her master samurai self is capable of, before the story progresses onto the real antagonist, possibly the Bakufu.

While all that’s going on, the humor is as prevalent as before, and I’m really liking the samurai action/comedy mix as a result — more so than I’m probably letting off anyway. I’m also loving how I get absorbed into this whole alternate reality, which the feudal-like backdrops and dark character outlines contribute vastly towards. The fan-service on the other hand is kept nicely in check for the television broadcast, yet still provides its share of nakedness whenever Jubei switches personalities. Mmm, not a bad side effect at all. I’m definitely looking forward to this series more and more as the weeks go on.

* The first ten seconds of the opening sequence were updated for the regular broadcast, so I’ve included a copy of it above for completion sake.

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   Preview 01 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   Preview 02 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   03   Preview 03
October 20, 2010 at 12:27 am
  • October 20, 2010 at 12:32 amO.o

First!!!..Yep… I stayed up all night to say this

• October 20, 2010 at 12:48 amjrj

nice episode :)
    looking forward for more actions as the true antagonist surfaces eventually… although it is sad to think about this show being only 13 episodes… :(
    the ink spots for the win…

• October 20, 2010 at 12:53 amDuh

I don’t think I’ve heard Yuuki Aoi play a character with such a high voice as the klutzy Jubei let alone her super deep one, though it’s probably deliberate to make the transition between the two all the more contrasting. I was pretty blown back to find her playing Jubei as I looked over the cast list a few weeks back as I didn’t recognise her at all.

She’s definitely one seiyuu to watch out for, I’ve been impressed by her work ever since I first heard her in Kure-nai, where she completely stole the show.

• October 20, 2010 at 1:24 amFlamingYu

uhh, what are they suppose to be fighting now?
    Now that Jubei seems, semi-evil or pure good.

possibly the Bakufu.
    Oh wow…

And this “Master Samurai” power makes other girls without “it”, useless.

• October 20, 2010 at 9:43 amLee

Based on the opening sequence and the airplane battle of the first episode, doesn’t anyone else get the feeling that every one of the girls is going to make a pact with a general and become a master samurai sooner or later?

• October 20, 2010 at 4:54 pmZnail

It’s fairly obvious who that general will be too as all the girls are at least somewhat interested in him.

• October 20, 2010 at 1:58 amPao

I find it strange that Sen didn’t get blown away along with the rest of her clothes. lol I wanna meet the rest of the cast already. o:

• October 20, 2010 at 2:08 ambakabakashiEROGE

DAMNIT ! NOT THAT INK SPLATTERS AGAIN…

• October 20, 2010 at 3:13 amexia

Sen to me is the most annoying character out of the bunch. Beta and Jubei make a nice couple.

• October 23, 2010 at 3:56 pmwaycooler

I wanted to punch Sen in the face multiple times throughout the episode. Thankfully, Jyuubei put her in her place for me.

• October 20, 2010 at 3:54 amGhostalker

Finally a fan-service/ecchi oriented samurai show that suits my taste really well! The Fall season line-up sure is very good. This is already the 7th show I’ve picked up for this season together with Ore no Imouto, Fortune Arterial, Yosuga no Sora, Star Drive, Ika Musume, the world god only knows.

And yet their is still more series that really looks promising…what a season! :)

• October 20, 2010 at 6:08 amNinja Penguin

imho the ink splatter was a interesting novelty during the first episode. 3 episodes later I find it’s getting annoying, show me the goods already!

• October 20, 2010 at 6:39 amAlfredonm

• October 20, 2010 at 8:27 amCroosboy

I agree

• October 20, 2010 at 6:44 amarky

any word on the uncensored version, anyone?

• October 20, 2010 at 6:49 amLeonin

When will we again get a series that has female warriors “realistically” armoured?

• October 20, 2010 at 5:45 pmxcswmboy

Never, because “realistically” there are no female warriors. Bamboo Blade is probably as close as you can get.

• October 20, 2010 at 6:50 amEspada

ink

• October 20, 2010 at 7:02 amKaly

Did somebody ever noticed the name of this show is also the name of a Shinmei-Ryu technique from Negima/Love hina? XD

• October 20, 2010 at 9:45 amLee

It’s also half of the name of Usui’s technique from Rurouni Kenshin.

• October 20, 2010 at 7:27 amdietwarrior

Proving to be fun so far, although the story was a bit too much to follow for my limited scope of attention (I actually went through the previous posts in RC to catch up on who’s who). Jubei is pretty much the character I’m most interested in right now.

• October 20, 2010 at 8:29 amCroosboy

More action and slat pls. lol
    This picture is hot nice capture
    reminds me of Musubi(Sekirie) doing the same pose

• October 20, 2010 at 9:08 amewok40k

Ahem, kiss-activated power-Jubei is so haxx! And the voice her seiyuu does pull off when voicing her “action side” is simply badass.

• October 20, 2010 at 11:49 amAex

Samurai-Jubei isn’t pure evil! This is good! Sen is still a pretty fun character, even if she’s a bit too full of herself. I love how her round-about way of trying to make things better for Muneakira flew back in her face, since Moe-Jubei is way too honest for her to handle. Glad Matabei and Yukimura weren’t gone that long.

At this point, I’m thinking the great Shadow over Japan is probably Sen’s brother.

• October 20, 2010 at 1:50 pmRockmanshii

Sen is my favorite too, she’s the kind of tsundere that I like a lot.The humor actually makes me laugh, the rivalry between Hanzou and Sanada is really funny in episode 2.The story is classic but well executed. I haven’t watched this episode yet but it sounds promising.
    This show is really blowing up my expectations, which I admit were pretty low every week, people who think it’s a “shitty Queens Blade clone” or something like that should really check it out.

• October 20, 2010 at 5:43 pmxcswmboy

Just when I thought there would be a respectable male protagonist in a harem anime, Muneakira had to turn all sissy-afraid-of-boobs-and-overall-useless. Sigh…

• October 20, 2010 at 7:02 pmWorldWiz

Is anyone else confused by the timeline of the story? If I’m not mistaken, the story takes place long after the attempted invasion of Japan at the beginning of episode one, right? So then why were all of the girls in the CURRENT plot also in that PAST battle, and moreover why were they all master samurai before and not anymore? The only possible flaw I can see in my logic is that I am misinterpreting the first battle as a flashback when its supposed to a flashforward, but the exposition so far and the fact that the protagonist was sporting a digital camera seem to indicate that this does indeed take place long after that battle in episode one. Thoughts?

• October 20, 2010 at 9:58 pmAex

Far as I can tell that battle was in the past, but with the way the girls’ faces are “hidden” it’s probably gonna come out that all the girls are descendants/reincarnations of great samurai/warriors of that time, with the exception of Jubei who I’m thinking was stuck in some crazy time-space thingy since then until Muneakira “called” her out.

So yeah, if I was a betting man I’d go with the standard descendant/reincarnation theory. It’ll probably be explained later anyways.

• October 20, 2010 at 10:27 pmAex

Just adding/confirming: the plane scene with the girls was in 20th of Showa, roughly around 1946(I think), and Muneakira and Jubei first meet on the bridge in 22nd of Heisei, or 2010. The Showa and Heisei distinctions but at least a few decades between the two events by themselves, and the plane battle definitely happened first.

• October 20, 2010 at 10:28 pmAex

Bah, that was supposed to go to WorldWiz’s comment >.<

• October 23, 2010 at 12:20 amBluance

Although it doesn’t speak for the other characters in the show, Yajui Jubei is known to have a huge time span of unrecorded history, though not 60 years ^^;