Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – 06 »« Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – 04

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – 05

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   01 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   02 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   03
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   04 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   05 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   06
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   07 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   08 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   09
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   10 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   11 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   12
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   13 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   14 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   15
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   16 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   17 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   18
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   19 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   20 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   21
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   22 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   23 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   24
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   25 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   26 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   27
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   28 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   29 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   30
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   31 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   32 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   33
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   34 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   35 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   36
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   37 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   38 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   39

「愛の戦士、登場」 (Ai no Senshi, Toujou)
“The Warrior of Love Arrives”

It looks like we’re on a master samurai parade with the way Muneakira is locking lips left and right, but if the opening sequence is any indication of things to come, this should be the last one we see for at least the next while. Whatever the case, the introduction of Yukimura’s childhood “friend” Naoe Kanetsugu (Toyosaki Aki) made this episode an absolute riot to watch. These girls sure don’t hold back with the insults, nor the hazing-like treatment in Yukimura’s case. Ironically enough, Hanzou was the one flipping out over how shameless the talk about peeing on an earthworm and having it return the favor was, when she would probably pounce on the opportunity to be Sen’s sex slave in a heartbeat. As for Kanetsugu herself, I love the haughty and almost snobby attitude that Aki plays her with, because she really makes it sound like our warrior of love is asking for it. That of course is aptly followed up by her getting what she deserves for rubbing bust sizes into Yukimura’s face, as the latter busts her ass master samurai style. “Fushaku Shinmyou!”

On that note, the whole having a personal saying to transform into a master samurai bit makes these girls seem like magical ones. I did rather enjoy how it went off and was made fun of for what it is though, namely when Jubei was trying to find one of her own. From meal sets to other references to food, I just loved her cute antics and how she completely sidetracked everyone’s seriousness on the matter. To help balance that out to a degree, there was a bit more of Yoshihiko and Charles bringing some more relevant plot developments, even though that only really resulted in Kanetsugu’s pretty shoddy attempt at becoming a spy this time around. As someone who’s taken a real liking to how unexpectedly funny this series has turned out, I honestly wouldn’t have had it any other way. It was about time someone called out Muneakira for building up a harem even if he wasn’t making a conscious effort to, and Kanetsugu provided just that with the way she’ll speak her mind — something she tends to do whether or not anyone’s around. She’s a true failure of a spy in every sense of the word, but an absolute genius at entertaining me for a good twenty or so minutes. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more of her in future episodes.

Other than that, I got to hand it to this series for making characters’ delusions a lot funnier than what they’re fantasizing about. While I’ll admit that it was a bit awkward to hear 19 year-old Kotobuki Minako moaning in pleasure (and doing one heck of a job I might add), the actual things that go awry in those dreams and subsequently in reality are so whimsically funny that I find myself thoroughly entertained. What’s interesting is that there’s actually plot progression happening at the same time, be it how Sen’s fantasy became reality and awakened the master samurai within her, or Yukimura’s insecurity over her breast size leading to Muneakira’s headstrong way of trying to understand her feelings. In short, this is a harem series done right. The male lead isn’t terribly annoying or weak spirited and only really serves as a means for all the girls to behave “mischievously” around him. Ultimately, it’s all in good fun, though a blushing Sen and a beach episode next time might make it FUN fun… if you know what I mean. *nudge nudge*

* I prepared five full-length shots for this post, so those interested should feel free to look for them. :)

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   Preview 01 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   Preview 02 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls   05   Preview 03

November 3, 2010 at 3:16 am
  • November 3, 2010 at 3:27 amRei

Hahaha this is like Negima where kisses = power ups XD
    And ooooo full-length shots… those’ll be fun to find XD
    I don’t know why, but I’m enjoying every episode of Hyakka Ryouran heaps.

• November 3, 2010 at 3:30 amdefunkt_bots

awesome – first?

• November 3, 2010 at 3:32 amFlamingYu

Isn’t Kotobuki Minako suppose to be 19 this year?

and Sen-hime is flawless, she got no disadvantage in her MS mode?
    Beach episode next.

Muneakira…wow…lame…

• November 3, 2010 at 4:44 amDivine

Hmm, you’re right. Her birthday was this past September.

• November 3, 2010 at 3:32 amjrj

this show just keep getting funnier each episode…
    what caught my interest was though how no side effects appears when the girls transform themselves through personal sayings… but Jubei is being an exception… (guess it will take her awhile to find a key word that works…)
    If the opening is any indicator, maybe the French girl will also join the harem soon?
    Naoe reminds me of Astraea from Sora no Otoshimono…

• November 3, 2010 at 3:32 amfragb85

I loled when the crew started to casually tie themselves to the tree when Yuki started getting angry. They know what’s up.

• November 3, 2010 at 5:03 amewok40k

Yea, I remembered Slayers scene where on sight of Lina getting insulted over bust size, the gang do get air-raid siren to warn the population and then wear shades to see resultant magical tactical nuke…

• November 3, 2010 at 3:35 amCroosboy ♂

still like Juibee’s cute voice

• November 3, 2010 at 4:22 amEuzio

gawd… hearing Kotobuki Minako moaning like that can give a nosebleed…

But this series is quite unlike wad i expected it to be initially. Thought it was gonna be like some ecchi/action fest. Turns out its more comedy than anything. Still loads of fun though~ :D

And yes, Jubei is just too cute XD

• November 3, 2010 at 5:38 amKarmafan

Any series that has Shana going at it with Yui is gonna be a “win” for me. When I saw the fall preview I figured it was gonna be just another so-so harem series. Clearly this is alot more then that. The characters are beautifully drawn with great facial expressions (especially on Yukimura and Jubei) and its just fun to watch. The script is very funny with many laugh out loud parts.

Based on the opening and what we have seen so far its not a far stretch to think that the brother is gonna be the main villian of the series and he is gathering his own harem of missing masters that will probably end up fighting Muneakira’s harem. Question will be which harem the princess will end up fighting for? Her own evil brother’s or her childhood playmate’s (that she is so in love with)?

• November 3, 2010 at 5:40 amEcchiban

I think the curse on Yukimura was never to develop HAHA! XD

• November 3, 2010 at 5:44 amjrj

as in most Kugimiya Rie characters… :D
      also most of her non-loli characters happen to die during their shows for some random reason as well…

• November 3, 2010 at 6:26 amDerPilz,

My fav character so far is Sanada….

• November 3, 2010 at 7:20 amAex

Glad Sen put that “warrior of love” chick in her place. There’s always one that blames the guy even when every girl is coming onto him. Yukimura is still my favorite though, but Sen definitely got some points here! This show is seriously the hidden love-child of Negima and Sekirei… which is awesome!!! XD

• November 3, 2010 at 7:28 amNinja Penguin

This is the first harem for a long time where -so far- I really like all the girls. I attribute this to the fact that they all seem to fill a role in the story; and despite still filling niches like loli and glasses meido, act somewhat moderately and believably.

A lot of other harems contain girls who are just there to fill out the numbers and serve no real purpose (Negima I’m looking at you), or have unbelievable behavioral problems when a partcular cliche -usually the violent tsundere- is taken too far. How often have we seen other KugiRie lolis act like irrational, selfish bitches to the male lead character?

• November 3, 2010 at 7:41 amsecret

It’s not ecchi, action (so far), or story-driven, and the comedy’s not that great…

Why does this keep happening? =_=

• November 3, 2010 at 8:38 amวง

MIKU!!!!!!!

• November 3, 2010 at 8:40 amfragb85

Also next up is a beach episode, so I’m predicting there will be a squid/octopus and tentacles. It’s happened on other ecchi animes so how can this be different?

• November 3, 2010 at 12:33 pmRockmanshii

Harem done right. Yup.Sen is honest with her feelings and don’t continue being tsundere forever.Character developmet, humor, everything is good.

• November 3, 2010 at 1:17 pmSilentmanX

1) http://randomc.net/image/Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Girls/Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Girls%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2002.jpg – Jubei is cute

2) I think I might have figured out what is the event that will take place in a later episode. The first part is Yoshihiko Tokugawa, Sen’s older brother, who will infact play a role in this entire event and will likely be responsible for it. The second part however is a possible invasion that will occure in Great Japan, because I remember correctly in the first episode were a bunch of planes(maybe the US army) suddely fying in Japanese sea territory and the samurai girls appeared and brought them down, which is a possibility that what we saw in the first episode will happen in the future. Muneakira might also appeared to play a role in this as not only the one who will bring forth more master samurai’s but also a possibility that he will rule Great Japan as the next shogunate instead of Yoshihiko

What you think?

• November 3, 2010 at 1:25 pmSuppa Tenko

I like how the main character is not useless for a harem, but all of the other girls are too slutty for my liking.

• November 3, 2010 at 1:38 pmNazarielle

I just about died when Naoe answered “imasen” to Jubei and she just accepted it.

• November 3, 2010 at 5:25 pmsarcastic_weasel

I’m amazed at how “Greater Japan” still hasn’t mastered the invention of pants, yet they seem to have mastered “rope underwear.”

Looks painful.

Out of all of them, I like Yukimura the best. It’s hard not to, though, because she seems to be the smartest one of the whole bunch. (Which isn’t saying a whole lot, but still…)

Jubei’s airhead voice is just too annoying for me. It would drive me up a wall to have to listen to that for more than 22 minutes a week. (Thankfully, I don’t.)

• November 3, 2010 at 7:48 pmJester

Yeah I couldn’t agree with you more. I think Jubei should stay in master samurai form, then she’s quite the attraction. Her cute voice is a bit too much for me to handle more than once a week.

• November 5, 2010 at 2:52 pmWilfriback