Sword Art Online – 25 (END) »« Sword Art Online – 23

Sword Art Online – 24

Sword Art Online   24   01 Sword Art Online   24   02 Sword Art Online   24   03
Sword Art Online   24   04 Sword Art Online   24   05 Sword Art Online   24   06
Sword Art Online   24   07 Sword Art Online   24   08 Sword Art Online   24   09
Sword Art Online   24   10 Sword Art Online   24   11 Sword Art Online   24   12
Sword Art Online   24   13 Sword Art Online   24   14 Sword Art Online   24   15
Sword Art Online   24   16 Sword Art Online   24   17 Sword Art Online   24   18
Sword Art Online   24   19 Sword Art Online   24   20 Sword Art Online   24   21
Sword Art Online   24   22 Sword Art Online   24   23 Sword Art Online   24   24
Sword Art Online   24   25 Sword Art Online   24   26 Sword Art Online   24   27
Sword Art Online   24   28 Sword Art Online   24   29 Sword Art Online   24   30
Sword Art Online   24   31 Sword Art Online   24   32 Sword Art Online   24   33
Sword Art Online   24   34 Sword Art Online   24   35 Sword Art Online   24   36

「鍍金(メッキ)の勇者」 (Mekki no Yuusha)
“The Gilded Hero”

I’ve taken two main things away from this episode. The first is that Sugou is hilarious. I have no idea if this was intentional, but the guy is Class-A comedy villain material! By this point, he’s little more than a caricature of a man, with no substance beyond being a horrible creep who has his eyes set on Asuna and vast wealth. Koyasu Takehito has a great voice at his disposal and it almost felt as though some Dio came out in today’s episode. I laughed a lot this week. I’m not even joking.

Zephyr once told me that it was worth watching Zetsuen no Tempest for the reaction faces alone. The same could probably be said of this episode of SAO. Sugou had some brilliant ones, displayed while stepping on Kirito’s face, casually spinning a giant sword and resting it on his finger, and even while licking Asuna’s tears. I… want to hate this guy (he’s meant to be the antagonist after all) but he’s just written in a way that I can’t take seriously. He’s completely out of place in a story that tries to take itself as seriously as Sword Art Online does. On the other hand, he was the major contributing factor to this episode’s entertainment value.

The second is that I have no clue what kind of writer Kawahara Reki is trying to be. Many times throughout the series, he’s shown a complete disregard for rules he himself set down in order to try and achieve some sort of effect that would be perfectly viable without needing to circumvent any of those rules. Since ALO began, we have not once seen any evidence of clothing damage (we saw it once or twice in SAO but that didn’t exactly make all that much sense either). People slice each other apart with swords and blow each other up with magic, yet not once does a piece of clothing tear or rip or show any signs of having been cut. But apparently Sugou can rip off the front of Asuna’s top. Err… okay I guess? Sure, it’s supposed to emphasise how ‘incredibly evil’ he is or something, but that doesn’t really make it any less dumb. By this point, we’ve been beaten in the face with how much of a scumbag he is so frequently that it doesn’t really do anything – if you hate Sugou, you’re probably at max hatred levels already. Perhaps, like the tasteless tentacles, it’s another vessel for fanservice. That seems plausible.

But this isn’t the real issue at hand, only a minor annoyance. ‘There’s no god in this world other than myself!’ Sugou gleefully informs everyone. This was kind of clever – a nice little irony. I like that. The problem comes afterwards. Never before in any medium have I seen a more literal iteration of deus ex machina that wasn’t intended to be satire. Kayaba Akihiko, the creator and ‘god’ of this virtual world, conveniently awakens and appears from the machine itself as a leftover echo in order to give Kirito the power to get himself out of a situation he couldn’t have escaped otherwise. This would be brilliant… if it were not meant to be taken seriously and at face value. If this were the first deus ex machina to be used in SAO I would be far more willing to consider the idea that Kawahara Reki was trying to do something clever with it – that he was purposely interpreting the plot device in a literal manner and implementing it that way. I want to believe that. But it’s not the first time. Something very similar led to the conclusion of the Sword Art Online arc. Instead of seeming clever, it comes across as a simplistic solution in order to conclude the story while simultaneously going ‘Oh, by the way, the guy who trapped everyone in a death game for over two years was a good guy really.’ Especially when Kirito starts throwing out praises for Kayaba Akihiko and having a friendly chat with him.

I’m not even going to talk about the way Kirito went about finishing off Sugou in the most gruesome fashion imaginable. It felt like a childish realisation of the desire for revenge on an overplayed villain. I’m going to pretend it was artistic license on the behalf of the animators and not featured in the light novel along with incredibly detailed descriptions (it was).

tl;dr: @MoombaDS – Sugou is a funny guy. He’d be great at parties! #SAO

Random thoughts:

• Sugou is evidently versed in the commands required to operate the system. Remind me, why was he using physical keypads again?
  • The reunion between Asuna and Kirito was actually handled fairly well in terms of directing. It was pretty cool at first.
  • Gravity magic seems like a very bad idea in a game where most of the combat is supposed to be airborne. Especially if there’s fall damage.
  • I also found the last few moments rather effective – I’ve said it before, but I always like it when the ED starts with the episode still playing. When done correctly it can be pretty damn awesome.

Full-length images: 07, 10, 12, 13, 17, 24, 32, 34.

Sword Art Online   24   Preview 01

End Card

Sword Art Online   24   End Card
December 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm
  • December 15, 2012 at 2:33 pmMasterDragonKnight

Kirito: How about a magic trick? I’m going to make this Fairy King…disappear!

• December 15, 2012 at 11:23 pmTerrorhunt

That’s not a magic trick! I saw you put a sword through his head. This is lame!

*Cookies to anyone who get the reference

• December 16, 2012 at 2:03 pmSuppa Tenko

Dude, what happened to your rule?
        Didn’t kill him. *wink*

• December 17, 2012 at 4:04 pmDragoZERO

HISHE Dark Knight!

As for SAO, yeah… it could have been handled better, but the arc was “concluded” nicely.

• December 17, 2012 at 6:51 pmMz

cookies for DragoZERO!

• December 16, 2012 at 5:33 pmSAO

Sigh… when will villains learn??? Always execute the main character BEFORE you rape the girl

• December 15, 2012 at 2:41 pminfo600

@ Moomba: Kirito’s execution of the fairy king felt like that animators added more detail to what was written (especially the part where the king got tossed up)

Anyway, so many things added, so many taken away…

• December 15, 2012 at 4:39 pm†Croos†

@info-chii
      I think they were to commanded/ordered to draw/animate the Fairy King to suffer. I guess there ego and story was so tasty that they added it so that people can feel how the bastard will suffer. YUM!

• December 15, 2012 at 7:30 pmTheMoondoggie

It’s in-game anyway so any addition my the animators is OK.

However it’s in-game. He’s still out there and is certainly going to do trouble.

• December 15, 2012 at 11:05 pmAnonymous

At least in-game we have the pleasure of doing the following:
        1. kill him by (insert favoured method)
        2. wait for him to respawn
        3. whatever happens after he does respawn, either get on with killing him again, or hunt him down relentlessly THEN kill him again.
        4. and it goes without saying, RINSE AND F!@#!@ING REPEAT!!
        AWWW YEAH

• December 16, 2012 at 1:23 amBeckett

Umm, maybe it was just in the fansub that I watched? But Sugou specificially said that at Pain Absorption level 3 or less it starts to affect your physical body, and Kirito set it to 0 before the fight. So… not sure how that would manifest in real world terms, I doubt it could literally cut it in half, but it sure could have killed him.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:41 amCybersteel

A certain species of jellyfish stings’ neurotoxin induce so much level of pain that it can cause death to the victim.

So hopefully after Sugu got hacked to death he’ll die.

• December 18, 2012 at 5:50 pmPolke45

@Beckett

• December 18, 2012 at 5:50 pmPolke45

@Beckett

I will not spoil it but the last episode will explain what happen to him

• December 15, 2012 at 2:42 pmRocket

Thanks for writing this. I knew I wasn’t going to be happy after episode 14, so this is a beautiful way to know what happens and not have to drudge through it.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:44 pmAccess

Sugou really went all out this episode. He started out mild with his crazy antics and I had to chuckle despite the supposed seriousness of the situation, but by the time Kirito sliced him to pieces I couldn’t help but burst into laughter because of his screaming.

Not to mention the Kayaba Ex Machina. I forgot if the explanation for his sudden appearance was given at this point in the novels or if it comes later, or if the anime simply didn’t want to bother.

That said, at least there was some noticeable music this episode. I dare say I even noticed a track that had not been used so far. I hope Kajiura didn’t burn herself out with all the overtime work she had to do!
    And for what it’s worth, I thought the Kirito/Asuna moments were well done.

One episode to go.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:44 pmgsharp

About time, I hate that Fairy King.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:42 pmRanol

Seriously ? I thought the guy completely stole the show this episode.
      He may be a stupid, one-dimensional, completely caricatural villain, but goddamn is he FUN !

• December 16, 2012 at 10:15 amSAOSukiDatta

I don’t hate him but I didn’t enjoy watching such a pathetic character. I need multidimensional characters and cleverly crafted situations…

• December 15, 2012 at 4:39 pmAnanas

Yeah, it’s not like he was created for that very purpose in the first place.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:00 pmMegas

That was even funnier than the episode.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:48 pmShrubbery

Sugou was hilarious indeed. Ever since ALO started I’m having a hard time taking the series serious. SOA was epic inho, but ALO is meh, kirito is too overpowered, even though they pretended to show he couldn’t do anything alone… well maybe that’s not the reason ALO is meh, i’m not sure. But ALO certainly doesn’t feel as good as SAO did…

• December 15, 2012 at 2:52 pmPassingBy

Makes no sense why he doesn’t try to rape Asuna before Kirito came. Retarded villain.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:19 pmKuntzy

He already explained it in an earlier episode. He’d rather her submit to him of her own will rather than have a doll.

If there’s one thing Sugou actually showed, it’s that he enjoys mentally torturing people and making them squirm (The only interesting thing about him as a villain really). He was actually more interested in bullying Asuna really.

As far as doing it before Kirito came… well, keep in mind there was really no possible way for a player to get in Yggdrasil, so why shouldn’t he have expected to have all the time in the world?

• December 15, 2012 at 4:28 pmPassingBy

What? Then he didn’t need to brainwash her. Still dumb.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:58 pmDK

@PassingBy
        Whose being dumb here.Kuntzy’s point was that Sugou didn’t ‘need’ to, but ‘wanted’ to brainwash Asuna because he enjoyed it.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:04 pmMegas

Still dumb though. He set himself up to lose.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:43 pmTheMoondoggie

@Megas

He didn’t. He didn’t expect anyone would get in his way. So there’s nothing dumb about him acting like an all high and mighty critic prat.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:50 pmKuntzy

That’s part of the mental torture. He knows she doesn’t like him at all, and he’s basically giving her a choice of submit and stay as yourself and admit that I broke you, or I brainwash you and you’ll be subject to my every whim.

Either way he’d have her consensually, and pretty much the only reason why he threatened to rape her in her hospital room was because she tried to escape twice and his patience was at an end. It was left out in the anime but he has a really bad temper.

• December 16, 2012 at 7:27 amRS456

Well obvious. He is the admin and he never expected anyone to make it all the way up there. Biggest unexpected event was Heatcliff’s virtual self was still alive and helped Kirito.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:54 pmExukvera

First Dio then this, Koyasu seems to have his share of Large Ham villains.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:55 pmSam

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:10 pmEl Huesudo II

This is SAO we’re talking about. The only thing you can do about SAO is nitpick, anyway! Oh, and listen to Kajiura’s OST.

(In b4 the inevitable downvotes.)

• December 15, 2012 at 3:12 pmSpinning

>Major deus ex machina
      >Nitpicking
      Uh-huh…

• December 15, 2012 at 3:20 pmLa-li-lu-le-lo

The thing is that this show is flawed in many ways. And pointing out those flaws is by no means nitpicking. Moomba is at least one of those people that states things how they are instead on being a fanboy and downplay all of the flaws this show has.

• December 15, 2012 at 10:54 pmDualash

Looking back at other shows, you do have to admit that this show is being nitpicked more than others, where some id duly noted, and some criticism is irrational or minor. For me, SAO isn’t perfect, but I just like the adventure as it is.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:34 amSpacyRicochet

I thoroughly enjoy Moomba’s writeups, but one thing about the nitpicking irks me. But I wonder if that’s because of a set rule he imposed upon himself or is imposed upon every writer in RC.

The point that irks me is the continued wonderment and seeming suprise about the kind of writer Kawahara Reki is, and about the many plot holes he left. Please correct me if I’m wrong (with a source, since I can’t find confirmation either way), but didn’t he start writing this when he was 14 or 15, as his debut novel? If you accept this, then you move beyond the surprise and wonderment and chalk up the obvious flaws in the writing to his inexperience. Perhaps accepting this will result in another kind of writeup?

On the other hand, perhaps this is either a) false, in which case “Yay, writeups!” or b) well-known to Moomba, but he follows a rule where he only considers a series in a kind of vacuum. Moomba, I wouldn’t mind an answer to this, if you feel like it. :)

• December 16, 2012 at 4:29 amMoomba

@SpacyRicochet
        We only actually have rumours as to how old Kawahara Reki was when he started writing – I don’t think we’re actually sure how old he is. I’m also not sure how long after the first novel ALO was written but that info is probably out there somewhere. Either way, the thing is, I’d like to think he could’ve grown as a writer after the original story – the very first light novel, while not necessarily a masterpiece of writing, was good – it had interesting themes which it frequently used well and it built an intriguing world with a twist that was executed well. The deus ex machina at the end could be attributed to being a relatively ‘young’ writer (in terms of it being his first work), so it’s not too hard to stomach.

I would’ve liked to think he’d learned from writing that first novel – that he’d grown as a writer and stopped relying on deus ex machina to wrap up storylines (since this was the only really large flaw with that original novel). But ALO casts away most of the things that actually made SAO an entertaining story for me. There don’t appear to be any real signs of growth – in fact he seems to have gone backwards, reverting to more clichéd tropes such as the princess in a gilded cage who needs to be rescued by her prince (where Asuna was once a strong character who could stand alongside Kirito) and an extremely one-dimensional villain. Perhaps with the second novel he made the decision to begin marketing his work to a different crowd – the first novel featured no harem, whereas the second retroactively introduces one and ALO, along with future arcs, begins to introduce more and more haremites along the way. But this still wouldn’t explain why he lost sight of the good parts of the first arc.

• December 16, 2012 at 6:44 pmSuppa Tenko

Kawahara seems to have recovered quite a lot by placing Asuna as the main character of Mother’s Rosario.

After playing through Ys Seven twice, I get this very heavy Adol vibe from Kirito. They are both badasses destined to be the destined hero of whatever place they happen to be, and neither can resist going on an adventurer. Also both attracted girls like rafflesia attracts flies.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:58 amAnanas

It’s just one of the best reviews on random since the time Enzo spent on Jinrui.
      Kudos to Moomba.

• December 16, 2012 at 11:21 amAndmeuths

I’d say that Reki decided to conform to shopworn Conventions during this period. When most LN Readers claim that Reki improves as a writer, they are surely not talking about Fairy Dance, but more likely, Mother’s Rosario or Alicization. The biggest problem is that he relies very heavily on the internal monologue. Very, very heavily. And that’s where alot of the adaptation problems begin.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:57 pmdestinyflower

I laughed when Sugou summoned Excalibur since Koyasu Takehito voiced Excalibur of Soul Eater XD

• December 15, 2012 at 2:57 pmginco

I watch horriblesubs instead of waiting for gg/utw so I can quickly comment on randomc!

• December 15, 2012 at 3:06 pmgrey

lmao this post is so sarcastic. welp, there’s still two more episodes left i believe, and now they’ve adapted more than i’ve read so i’m interested in what happens next!

• December 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm12ma2y

As a fan of the light novel, I want to defend Kawahara Reki by saying a lot of game mechanics are very well explained in the novel and consistent through out every arc. I dont think I have ever wonder if something is truly out of place when I read the novel. The things that Moomba are nitpicking are mainly due to the nature of this adapted anime. Things flow differently in anime and you cant really stop to explain everything in details like in the novel. By no mean I am saying Kawahara Reki is a good writer but he have criticize himself at the end of every novel in the author’s notes. For that, I respect Kawahara Reki. Overall, I still enjoy this anime adaption. One more to go!

• December 16, 2012 at 1:18 amZero X Cent

Yes, i agree with 12ma2y as i said before the previous episode and at last the ending of SAO anime -_-

• December 15, 2012 at 3:10 pmEmD

YOUR TEARS ARE DELICIOUS

• December 16, 2012 at 12:17 amdjrubbie

Image macro’d for your convenience: http://i.imgur.com/6hxdj.gif

• December 16, 2012 at 3:02 amEmD

*M. Bison YES*

• December 16, 2012 at 3:28 amProxy

What programs did you use to make that gif? =P

• December 16, 2012 at 6:46 pmSuppa Tenko

Looked like Kirito was being NTRed with Sugou eating Asuna’s face.

• December 17, 2012 at 5:27 amdjrubbie

mplayer + imagemagick + gimp to tie it all together because I don’t know imagemagick enough.

• December 23, 2012 at 2:01 amProxy

Thanks man. =)

• December 15, 2012 at 3:12 pmInanis

about the “deus ex machina” thing .. considering something similar (AIs showing up as people) happens in laters novels (Alicization) seems more like a foreshadowing to me.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:39 pmSol

I think telegraphing is a better term here. “Telegraphing allows spectators to guess how the plot will develop in a way that removes interest in the story.”

Also,

• December 17, 2012 at 7:39 pmLi

Yeah, it’s explained a whole lot more in Alicization. SPOILER BELOW

Kayaba converted his whole soul into fluctlight at the cost of his life in order to roam about the universes to find his childhood dream, the ‘floating steel castle’. In a way, he is the first person to be successful in making soul translator. He’s not dead yet, just that his soul is currently drifting from one world – created from The Seed – to another, observing his creation.

So yeah he’s literally a god from the machine.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:16 pmdimasok

I think a lot of these issues resolve themselves naturally when you realize the show shouldn’t be watched for intellectual integrity or a plot that makes sense or ties all loose ends. Its entertaining and fun and today’s episode was just that. Let’s not niggle too much at the details…

• December 15, 2012 at 4:33 pmPassingBy

Watching women get raped is entertaining, right!

SAO is sexist. When Asuna was introduced I was expecting her to be an independent woman who doesn’t need to be saved. More than thrice, the show portrays her as nothing more than a prize to fight for. Screw character development, we have fanservice, self-inserts and wish-fulfillment.

It’s not what happens to the woman, it’s what happens to MY woman. Sexism makes me want to puke.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:30 pmanon

And watching someone get stabbed thorough their body or cut to pieces is also entertaining, right! Weren’t you bothered by that?
        This is a anime so don’t bring in ethics only when it’s convenient for you.

Being independent doesn’t mean you NEVER need to be saved by someone, even Kirito needed to be saved, more than once.And if it makes you want to puke, you might want to take anime a little more lightly.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:59 pmRinsako

Technically in Alicization its her turn to save kirito from being a vegetable for the rest of his life.

• December 17, 2012 at 1:21 pmTrident

@PassingBy
        Between the show and your comment, it’s obvious your the one being the sexist here.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:01 amColentas

I mean, why would anyone watch television for a story? How silly of us to assume that is what it was going for.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:16 pmAffy

Finish him!!
    Kirito-kun wins
    Fatality…

• December 15, 2012 at 3:17 pmPlayer

Your criticism that deus ex machina conclude the plots in both virtual worlds is one that I share. However, it’s worth mentioning that in the first arc, the conclusion was very sudden and I expected 25 more floors of epic action, whereas in this arc, Koyasu was being set up to lose anyway, and the author just took that opportunity to introduce some themes related to Kayaba Akihito.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:19 pmPlayer

Oops, I meant Sugou. Koyasu -> Sugou.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:19 pmEntrav

RAGE. RAGE. RAGE MOARRRR!!! DELICIOUS TEARRRSSSSSSSSSS

• December 15, 2012 at 3:29 pmRanol

Oh. My. God.
    This was beyond awesome.
    I lost it at the drinking tears part.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:37 pmOmega

Kayaba Akihito proved the dude wrong, there is ‘god’.

Afterall, A Creator/An Inventor known their creation/invention best than anyone else.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:40 pmkagehisa

2nd pic looks like Kirito is fucking Yui from behind lol

• December 15, 2012 at 3:43 pmgaido

Now I have something to fap fap fap.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:45 pmRanol

…Dammit, cannot unsee.
      Hell, they’re going at it so hard they’re breaking the wall.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:52 pmSol

• December 16, 2012 at 4:02 pmnolv

deeper, harder, faster…dady…

• December 17, 2012 at 4:33 pmFTL

Lol, he is banging her so hard that the wall is cracking.^^

• December 15, 2012 at 3:55 pmmoridin84

Kawahara Reki isn’t really that good a writer. You (clearly) don’t need to be good writer to make something entertaining, you’ll just find a lot of problems if you examine their work too closely.

• December 16, 2012 at 6:48 pmSuppa Tenko

A writer is one who has the ability to immerse the reader. You haven’t quite read the book so we can’t really judge his skill as a “writer” just by watching an anime.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:58 pmFrog

Second pic on this post. That looks much more questionable than it should be.

• December 15, 2012 at 3:59 pmAnza

Lol this show gets so much hate by certain people that just seem to want as much depth has .hack did, I really don’t get why people can’t just enjoy it for what it is.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:12 pmBaLdUrIaN

.hack was boring bullshit, at least SAO is fun! I just loved the execution scene.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:00 pmZnail

So, Moomba dislikes Suguo being a villain with no redeeming qualities, but also dislikes Kayaba showing that he does have some redeeming qualities? Isn’t that quite some contradiction?

• December 15, 2012 at 4:08 pmKuntzy

Just because he showed some “redeeming qualities” doesn’t mean he should be forgiven as easily as Kirito seems to have. Majority of the SAO players died simply because he was experimenting. Usually that’s some irredeemable stuff right there.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:38 pmExukvera

It’s not about forgiving the guy or not. Kayaba is dead, that was punishment enough for him. At least he could pay some of the debt by helping Kirito defeat Sugou. Looks like this Oberon’s demise was sorta foretold, like Macbeth’s instead. If he had readen more Shakespeare (or at least watched ZetsuTempest), he would know it all would bite him back sooner or later.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:05 pmKuntzy

@Exukvera(Because I’m a noob at message boards and it won’t let me reply)

Well, keep in mind I was replying to a post about why Moomba didn’t like Kayaba despite his redeeming qualities. No matter if he paid his dues by dying, it doesn’t mean that someone has to like them for that. Not to mention he didn’t like Kirito praising Kayaba. I wasn’t really discussing the character so much as pointing out that he’s still dis-likable to viewers.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:07 pmKuntzy

Haha, n/m it seems replying to myself worked. Sigh… that was an absolute blonde moment.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:29 pmboingman

I must have completely missed Kayaba dying. How did that happen? Did they tell us about it in the last ep. of the first arc?

• December 15, 2012 at 11:07 pmd-LaN

@boingman It will be in the next episode if they didn’t cut it out.

• December 16, 2012 at 4:20 amboingman

Okay, then it was at least not missing it. Though I now feel like having been spoiled, but oh well…

• December 16, 2012 at 4:20 amboingman

Okay, then it was at least not ME missing it.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:13 pmSekai

Dying once is an acceptable punishment for the murder of more than 4000 people?

• December 15, 2012 at 5:12 pmAnanas

Hating terribly written villains. I don’t see any problem.

• December 16, 2012 at 6:50 pmSuppa Tenko

The thing is Kayaba is dead, no matter how much Kirito hates him, his new virtual self wouldn’t give a damned… actually his physical self didn’t give a damned either.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:12 pmFT5Havok

Wow Sugou is so weak ! Stats level: 1

• December 15, 2012 at 4:15 pmend3rr

GOOSEBUMPS in a really good way.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:04 pmend3rr

Holy that didnt sound right, I meant Goosebumps, when the ending song played as Kirito hopped on his bike to go see Asuna in that snowy winter night.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm†Croos†

Damn Kirito!!
    You were after Asuna’s boobs all along.
    If I where you Kirito you should go to Sugu for that.

• December 16, 2012 at 6:51 pmSuppa Tenko

Kayaba decided to appear because Asuna’s delicious tits were too much for Kirito.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:35 pmcreaothceann

• December 15, 2012 at 4:45 pmMasterDragonKnight

Dat Sugu!

Please stop torturing us viewers with your figure!

• December 15, 2012 at 5:29 pmTheMoondoggie

Well she hasn’t given up yet so…

• December 15, 2012 at 5:53 pmAiras

Dat Ass!

• December 15, 2012 at 6:35 pmAB

I can’t be the only one who thought that he’s about to grab her ass, can I?

• December 16, 2012 at 1:04 amJHN

Nope, I believe my exact thought was: “A little lower Kirito, a little lower.” XD

• December 19, 2012 at 8:09 amJello

Probably exactly what the producers were going for LOL…

I had to rewind to get the proper dose of dat ass *_*

• December 16, 2012 at 7:06 pmpeekachuu

If I were Kirito, I’d drop Asuna and go full wincest.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:45 pmAnanas

Reki Kawahara didn’t improved much at writing villains looking at the more recent Accel World.

Villain : vile person who loves doing terrible things because they’re evil, needless to be said they must be hated as much as humanly possible by depicting them in the most repulsive ways possible.

• December 15, 2012 at 4:56 pmExukvera

And it does not end.
      Further adaptations will bring further Large Ham villains

• December 15, 2012 at 5:32 pmJimmy

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:39 pmOdd

I’m curious, what does a writer need to write for you to label him/her as a good writer?

• December 15, 2012 at 5:55 pmPurple Jake

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:05 pmRinsako

He’s no better that George RR Martin.

Which is not to say he’s good, but to typify how bad of a writer he is and how easily bad writers can be popular.

Look at George RR Martin.

His writing style is so devoid of talent, that after going through his latest book, I literally threw the book into a fire, then proceeded to write my uni paper on the fall of modern literature.

Look at Tom Clancy.

He writes like an 8th grader after a recent session of soft-core pornography and MW2. I read a few of his novels when I was just going into the 4th grade, and the writing seemed simplistic.

Yet these writers, along with Rowling and Meyers, rake in millions upon millions. Popularity will never come with intelligence or skill. The mass of people who purchase these books are literally at their intellectual limits when attempting to scrawl through the unedited chicken scribble of people who call themselves “authors”.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:23 pmVsin

Ehhh, Death Gun is a reasonably decent villain because at least he’s a mystery instead of “LOOK AT ME I’M EVIL” Sugou. His works are way more interesting in the middle, unless it’s Fairy Dance in which case most of the fun is loaded into the end (everything after this Ep actually…)

Although yeah, there is a tendency to wrap up arcs with cheese and cliche. Although the cheesy cliche brought me to tears in Mother’s Rosario because it was executed properly.

• December 16, 2012 at 6:52 pmSuppa Tenko

Fairy Dance was used to purge the fantasy out of Reki’s system after writing SAO.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:04 pmRyuuzaki21

Netorare..

NETORARE..

..failed :P

• December 15, 2012 at 5:25 pmJimmy

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:46 pmOdd

I think a more appropriate question would be, why the hell are YOU spending time on this?Not only to watch the show, but also to post comments as well?

• December 15, 2012 at 5:50 pmPurple Jake

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:02 pmOdd

Because I really don’t get why people bother to bash shows they don’t like, when you can simply stop watching it and forget about it.
        And this isn’t a ‘negative comment’, Jimmy’s just bashing the writer.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:22 pmPurple Jake

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:55 pmSol

To balance out the circle-jerking.

Btw, your tears are delicious.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:36 pmTopboy

I’m so mad after episode end.They can zoom in to Sugu’s butt at the end but can’t let us as see Asuna boob (even white bar censor is fine cause In Blu-ray It would get uncensored)
    Why Why Why?

• December 20, 2012 at 11:08 pmanonymous

Are you 13 years old?

• December 15, 2012 at 5:39 pmMichael

How can I not notice that Sugu voice from Rosario + Vampire???
    I should be ashamed of myself….

• December 15, 2012 at 5:40 pmMichael

I meant Sugou. *facepalm*

• December 15, 2012 at 5:39 pmqwert

“Since ALO began, we have not once seen any evidence of clothing damage (we saw it once or twice in SAO but that didn’t exactly make all that much sense either)”

The tearable clothes could just be some extra flair Sugou added to Asuna’s outfit alone if he was planning to play around with her eventually.

Not like the magical bondage chains appearing out of thin air would be a standard ALO feature either.

• December 15, 2012 at 5:40 pmSnooSnoo

One dimensional characters are one dimensional. Only good character is Klein but of course he’s left to the side lines in favor of self-insert masturbatory main character A.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:23 amAnanas

Even Link has more personality than Kirito.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:05 pmRickyMack

“Since ALO began, we have not once seen any evidence of clothing damage (we saw it once or twice in SAO but that didn’t exactly make all that much sense either).”

System Command: destroy top!

• December 15, 2012 at 6:18 pmTranquin

Sugou felt more parody than anything else, oh well, guess there is something yet to come next week too.

• December 15, 2012 at 6:37 pminferno

I guess… congratz kirito for making it there

• December 15, 2012 at 6:38 pmacolyte

When Yui breaks the walls, I was like ‘hookay… Hacking all the way through..’
    I’m glad the in-game part ends this episode so I don’t have to feel anxious not being able to watch the subbed epilogue while in Japan~

Thanks Moomba for covering this show and everyone who stayed watching~
    In the first few episodes I desperately tried to convince people to stay watching this when there were quite a few hate, more than now at least, I really enjoyed the LN so I felt sad when there were people who had so much negative prejudice on this.

I can’t say that this is the best anime this season though, but that’s just because there’s quite a few good ones such as Sakurasou~ But I definitely am satisfied with the adaptation – the timing (pacing) of the story development, the scenes to be cut out, faithfulness to the novel, and especially for Fairy Dance, the art.

There could be more BGM, but that didn’t ruin my enjoyment~
    Only one thing I ‘regret’ from the watching the adaptation.
    I wasn’t expecting Suguha/Lyfa to be as hot, if not hotter than Asuna, in the animation. Now I’m hoping for some Suguha x Kirito doujins.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:11 pmfragb85

I’ve been comparing this show with Twilight for awhile but only now has SAO truly become worthy of being the anime equivalent of Twilight. Its just so hilariously bad and people just eat this stuff up.

Once again the show tries to play our resident Mary Sue and Gary Stu as a perfect couple (with a child!) despite its lackluster development. Yep I’m sure convinced that they truly love each other. Then comes Sugou who is written the dumbest way possible including doing sexual harassment like its a hentai. At least hentai has the excuse of pandering to specific fetishes here its just out of place.

Then it gets even dumber (which I didn’t think was possible) and a Deus Ex Machina comes in to solve everything and give Kirto god powers because he’s Jesus(MAY HE LIVE FOREVER!). SO basically both arcs of SAO resorted to DEM to solve everything. TOP. NOTCH. WRITING.

Kirito then uses the god powers that were spoon-fed to him and TORTURES Sugou. But of course its played up as heroic because anything Kirito does is right and he can do no wrong. He’s so perfect that the ghost of a psychopathic murderer who toyed with and killed thousand of people(did the show just forget that?) now designates him as his messiah! ALL HAIL LORD KIRITO!!!!!!!!!

Bravo SAO! I thought I would hate you this episode, but instead you’ve turned your retard into something enjoyable.

• December 15, 2012 at 7:44 pmRasen

Non non non. The “anime” equivalent of Twilight is Vampire Hunter D.

SAO is more like any regular anime (which speaks to a trend anime in general is taking which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your tastes.)

• December 15, 2012 at 7:53 pmSol

>SAO is more like any regular anime

Which implies a lot of them are badly written if that’s the case, with none of the charm.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:11 pmRasen

Take it how you will.

I’m just saying that the hatred for SAO seems blown way out of proportion if someone thinks it’s the anime version of Twilight, and that there are far more deserving of that title.

Seriously, a show where there are harems (normal and reverse) is so normal I don’t know why anyone is surprised/bothered by it anymore.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:55 pmfragb85

Not even close. Vampire Hunter D continuosly shove perfect (and bland) Mary Sues as protagonists down our throats with writing that continuously tries to portray how awesome they are and get spoonfed plot developments that always work on their favor. Also Bloodlust was a fairly decent supernatural action movie.

And please spare us the generalizations. You’re implying that the harem aspects are solely what the detractors are talking about. The list of problems of SAO is far bigger than that.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:59 pmfragb85

*DOESN’T continuously shove

• December 16, 2012 at 4:28 amRasen

Seriously? Vampire Hunter D doesn’t try to shove perfect Mary Sues down our throat?

(The following is not an exaggeration. It is what I have noticed in the first 13 novels. And it’s not subtle. Everytime the book shifts to D, it starts singing his praises)

The book series with a main character so beautiful the entire world would be his harem if he bothered to have sex? Everything in that world wants to jump D’s bones. Men, women, young, old, humans, vampires, animals, vampire’s experiments, Lovecraftian demons, nature itself, etc., etc…

D, the Dhampir so powerful that if he gets serious, is the most powerful living thing on the planet in a world where they harness black holes for energy, and where humans can move faster than the speed of sound. Who through nothing but pure skill can cut through time, space, and gravity.

D, the Dhampir so beautiful that when he encounters a copy of himself, the book literally has a line saying “there was so much beauty in the air the world might collapse because it could not sustain it.”

And there are 25 novels of this.

• December 15, 2012 at 11:25 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

I gotta agree.

I just don’t know how this episode can be seen as THAT good.

Sugou was so hammed up that what little threat he may have posed went down the drain, and it was only further impacted with Kirito’s usual magical Deus Ex Machina moment and saving the day. Also, considering Kirito changed the pain adapters to 0 (Sugou also saying how anything Level 3 or lower would affect the body outside the game) and then ruthlessly destroyed Sugou, doesn’t that mean he most likely killed him in real life too, thus committing murder? I can understand that he would WANT to and perhaps people here have experienced the same type of situation themself, but even disgusting actions like Sugou did doesn’t give Kirito the right to play judge, jury, and executioner.

It feels like a bunch of the things that made the SAO arcs much more decent (character and plot development, for instance) were just tossed aside this arc and replaced with all the DEM and unneeded fanservice and fetish feeding.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:17 amJHN

I admit SAO is far from the best thing ever (especially this arc and especially the anime adaption). But to compare it to Twilight, well…that’s just plain hurtful. :(

• December 16, 2012 at 6:54 pmSuppa Tenko

Eh, NO. The anime equivalent of Twilight is Vampire Knight.

1. depressing girl?
      2. Sparkly vampires?
      3. 2nd lover not quite vampire?
      4. girl can’t decide?
      5. Vampire council to mess shit up?

Vampire Knight is Just Like Twilight.

• December 18, 2012 at 5:52 amAster

in the recent developing of manga, VK already becomes way darker than the girly/gay twilight. But for anime, well……….

• December 15, 2012 at 7:54 pmKouji

What the hell? He didn’t stab him in the eyes? This was pivotal in the book!

• December 15, 2012 at 9:18 pmEuzio

He did. If u look at the reflection of Sugou’s eyes, he was clearly dropping right unto the point of the sword. So he pretty much got skewered through his eye.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:00 pmdarkkodiak

Dam, what a wasted opportunity at something clever in my opinion. When Heathcliff showed up, I thought he was literally going to show up and save both Asuna and Kirito. Why I think that? Well, out of respect for those two. Now that would have been really cool and would have made more sense than Kirito logging in as Heathcliff and using his admin privileges. Well, hopefully this Seed will bring something interesting to the table. Also, loving Yui’s hacking skills, too bad she only use them sparsely.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:12 pmQiesamuel

I realized that you mentioned the positive sides of this episode only on the random thoughts part. So, the positive sides of SAO are really random.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:28 pmc2710

It left a wierd aftertaste… For all its initial hype… I felt that it faltered

• December 15, 2012 at 8:30 pmc2710

Though it still escapes me to how my sister’s friends find it “TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! XD”

• December 15, 2012 at 8:46 pmboingman

Maybe their first anime ever and theyre not used to clichee plot and villains?

• December 15, 2012 at 9:02 pmc2710

Possibly… They’re 18 year olds…

• December 15, 2012 at 10:50 pmDualash

I treat SAO as something relaxing, that you’re not supposed to focus on all the aspects that are cliche or illogical. I mean, I know a lot of people, even a teacher, who enjoys the show, not for all the hype or like that, but its nice to cool down your brain and watch anime like this(with that sort of adventure, even if its not perfect).

• December 16, 2012 at 12:47 amc2710

@ Dualash – Trust me… I’ve released all limiters on my free-easy mode but I just can’t seem to enjoy this. First it was due to the copious amounts of time skips. The aspects of the show that I enjoyed was when Kirito was back in reality and not VR.

Even that, my limiter-free free and easy mode can’t enjoy it

• December 16, 2012 at 6:56 pmSuppa Tenko

You guys have watched too much Psycho Pass, Fate Zero and Madoka, you are no longer capable of getting aroused without extreme brain stimulation through plot twists and tragedies

*For those that don’t understand you’ve watched too many good ones*

• December 19, 2012 at 6:00 amc2710

You forgot to add titles like GuP, Shin Sekai Yori, Nise- and Bakonogatari. Just to name a few

• December 16, 2012 at 7:54 pmArashi Yamato

Try Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. Lots of shifting settings on the first season (and a awesome battle between a non combative dancer and spearwoman….with the dancer winning). Lots of WTH? But cool on the second season.

• December 15, 2012 at 8:44 pmboingman

Worst episode?
    Why the hell is mass murderer Kayaba now a good guy?
    There were many more cringeworthy moments.

• December 15, 2012 at 9:17 pmCode

It seems to me that SAO was written to cater to people with all sorts of different… fetish.
    First we have excessive fanservice, followed by incest, congrats, now we are one step futher,
    Welcome to NTR Online!
    *facepalms*

• December 15, 2012 at 10:04 pmryuuzaki

i will definitely not go near that NTR Online. its different if its catered in Hentai Sekai =)

• December 15, 2012 at 9:23 pmeuler271

Actually I dont think kirito hates per se kayaba at all, and by no means he is your average villain, he just wanted to create a world and “let” people live it, ofc, he could fit perfectly into the “mad scientist” troupe but even his own defeat and demise was under his own rules so probably one of the greatest antagonist in a while. about his last appearance, hmmm, well the novel explains it quite well and it’s pretty much believable considering what his wish was.

• December 15, 2012 at 9:43 pmSol

I dunno about you man, but if I saw the guy who essentially imprisoned 10k people including me and killed 4k of them, including some of my friends, I would go apeshit. Here we don’t even get a “YOU AGAIN YOU SONOVABICH” from Kirito.

It’s hard to believe grudges like that can be let go so fast.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:25 amJHN

Well Kirito still doesn’t like Kayaba for his actions. But after learning about Kayaba’s motivations, Kirito could actually see a little of himself in that. So it’s more like, Kirito hates Kayaba for his actions but can’t deny he would do the same in his shoes.

• December 16, 2012 at 7:18 pmdarnko

@JHN
        So Kirito would imprison 10000 people in a death game and kill ~4000 people just because he wants to play a stupid game?

• December 15, 2012 at 10:08 pmAdinda Tiara

Shit,i don’t like Sugou!!!

• December 15, 2012 at 10:24 pmU Doh

WTF is this troll fest?

• December 15, 2012 at 11:11 pmd-LaN

This can be sum up to:

SAO sucks, I can’t wait for the next episode.

Or you can call it tsundere.

• December 15, 2012 at 10:47 pmJhacks

Oh God…The level of writing in this show feels like it was written by a kid with a Chuunibyou. But it is still fun to watch, I never laugh so hard watching a shitty Anime since School Days, so I’d give SAO that.

• December 15, 2012 at 11:00 pmDualash

I don’t know about that. I saw School Days, and it made me feel depressed. I wouldn’t go that far.

• December 15, 2012 at 11:14 pmOwaranai

I’m not going to even finish watching the anime to comment on this, but this episode just seriously turned me off completely.

Something like this bordering on hentai is NOT what one would have expected of SAO, regardless of how good/crap it was in the past episodes. Sugou is nothing more than a terrible, pathetic of a villain who’s only characteristic is being an unbelievably stupid and one-dimensional pervert. The rape scene was something right out of a B-rated show or doujin and certainly does the hype generated for SAO zero justice.

Terrible. Now I get why Kawahara Seki wants to do a rewrite, especially so if the entire scenario was actually written in the novel itself. I’m not sure what those in charge of developing the anime were thinking, because I’m pretty sure many will turn away just because of this episode alone.

This was no ‘gilded hero’. The act of killing Sugou slowly but surely was nothing short of what a vengeful human would typically do – an eye for an eye. All that supposed character development about Kirito realising he needed help to achieve his goals have just taken a huge step backward in that moment.

That, though, does serve to remind me that Kirito is by no means perfect. Yes, he hardly ever dies or loses (Kira Yamato comes to mind in GSD), he always succeeds (stories like that are a dime a dozen) and he gets the girls…BUT he isn’t totally in control of his emotions.

I am still going to grin and bear it and finish it, though. From what I heard, the worst arc of the entire story is near its end and we’re HOPEFULLY progressing on to better things if they decide to animate the rest of it.

• December 18, 2012 at 12:11 amCorin

Slight point of order – ‘gilded’ hero isn’t actually a positive qualifier in the original Japanese. The insinuation it carries is actually more in line with ‘gold-painted’ than anything else. So that much isn’t really a fault in the writing.

Doesn’t change the fact that Kirito is a hypocrite and that this episode managed to be cornier than Ixion Saga DT, though. :P

• December 15, 2012 at 11:21 pmAnonymous

I thought troll threads were something from youtube
    didn’t expect one to pop up here of all places

• December 15, 2012 at 11:41 pmCraig McLeod

There was only one reason why Oberon lost, he pissed Kirito off.

• December 15, 2012 at 11:53 pmD

I really hope they redo the third arc of Jojo.

• December 15, 2012 at 11:59 pmMightnare

Come on, I want to see “The Black Swordsman” and “The Flash” walking away in the snow the next episode..

• December 16, 2012 at 6:57 pmSuppa Tenko

Sorry, a girl in a “coma” for the past 3 years can’t really walk… nor would it be wise to especially in the snow. Look at how Otonashi’s little sister died.

• December 16, 2012 at 12:18 amJounouchi

The battle should have ended with Kirito defeating Sugou with sheer willpower alone. Uh, yeah, it started like that but …. SAO totally copped out with the whole “ID Heathcliff” thing. It missed the mark and would have tied the two arcs together. Neo flashed through my mind for a split second. To overcome the limitations of computer programs and code with the human mind and/or love was what I thought they were trying to say but …. I guess not lol.

• December 16, 2012 at 12:29 ammike

Kayaba Akihiko being a good guy, he really is to be honest his intention was just to create a real fantasy world to be as real as possible, he might have kill like 4k ppl but later on you will find out the true purpose of his invention and the amount of lives it will save in future generations. Is like radation yes it can kill tons of ppl but if it was use in the right way it could also save millions from cancer.

• December 16, 2012 at 3:26 amboingman

Sounds like the author pulled that out off his ass with there actually being a purpose in all those deaths. I don’t buy i and don’t believe that Kawahara Reki planned that far ahead.

• December 16, 2012 at 12:43 pmmike

That don’t get explain till end of volume 7 of novel

• December 16, 2012 at 12:32 amDovahkiinGGGGG

The story writing was lazy this episode. Well, it’s been lazy often times before. Moomba is right, the deus ex shit can only be appreciated as satire.

I also hate how the creator is trying too hard to make Kirito come across as “cool.” Kirito was actually trying to sympathize with the man who was going to rape his girlfriend and then essentially kill her personality. lolwut?

• December 17, 2012 at 3:27 amDualash

Lol, that was wierd, I would not sympathize with a man who was trying to perfect thought control and just raped Asuna.

• December 16, 2012 at 12:37 amGinobi

I have reread the SAO LN about 5 times now, and i usually skip the Fairy Dance Arc and Mother’s Rosario Arc.

Mother’s Rosario is one of the best tear jerkers i have ever read. Its probably up there with Clannad. The reason I skip it is coz my manly pride cant hold the tears back.

On the other hand, I skip Fairy Dance coz its one of the finest examples of horrible writing.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:03 amKinny Riddle

As I was saying in the Tonari no Kaibutsu episode blogs, where Koyasu Takehitoalso plays opposite Tomatsu Haruka as her dad, someone ought to make a parody video parsing his hilarious Sugou dialogues over with clips from TnK, that would be really interesting to watch.

The virtual Sugou has been vanquished for now, allowing Kirito to free his wife from ALO, but he would still need to free her from the hospital in the real world, where a butthurt Sugou would no doubt do everything to stop him.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:37 amBeckett

SAO arc was bad, this arc was terrible. Accel World was crap too. You know what, screw Kawahara Reki fans, I’m not listening to their bullshit lies anymore. On two separate occasions now the signal before the show starts is overwhelmingly “IT’S GOING TO BE SO EPIC YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY THE LN OWNS OMG” and both times we’ve gotten steaming piles with such poorly written characters that I honestly wonder if Kawahara Reki isn’t, in fact, 8 years old. What’s that you say, fans? The adaptations were bad? No. Both adaptations were done by different companies. I can either believe that two separate companies who have both done EXCELLENT adaptations in the past independently screwed up on a royal scale, or I can believe that the problem is with the source material. I’m using Occam’s Razor to declare that the second option is far more likely. So from now on Kawahara Reki’s works are blacklisted in my world, I’ve let him pollute my mind enough.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:03 amAnanas

“IT’S GOING TO BE SO EPIC YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY THE LN OWNS OMG”

This quote alone is enough to make you reconsider the real worth of such shows.

“I honestly wonder if Kawahara Reki isn’t, in fact, 8 years old.”

Give him at least 4 years more, 6 max.

• December 16, 2012 at 3:34 amd-LaN

Don’t like SAO, OK. But no need to act high and mighty.

• December 16, 2012 at 4:38 amRasen

This is less in defense of Reki Kawahara’s works, and more an offering of an alternative theory for your Occam’s Razor:

Adaptations of novels tend to be worse than their source material. There are exceptions, but that’s exactly what they are. Exceptions.

If you don’t like his works or his plots, that’s fine. Everyone has their own taste. But his stuff is not significantly worse than the bulk of stuff out there. Sales records for his novels are proof of that.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:19 pmBeckett

I agree that adaptations of novels tend to be worse than the novels themselves. That’s why novels remain such an enduring form of entertainment. But some novels are Ender’s Game and some are Twilight, and there is a significant quality difference between the two categories that has nothing to do with personal taste. It’s about the skill of the writer in creating characters and events and places that seem like they might be real even when you know they aren’t. Personal taste is well and good but this argument I hear all the time that there are no objective qualities to base entertainment on is complete bunkus.

And I don’t want to hear about sales, the tired “popularity = quality” excuse has worn thin as well. A quick Google of the top selling albums of 2012 lists such artists as Mumford & Sons, Michael Buble, and a Rod Stewart Christmas album in the top 10. The only lesson possible from this information is that a majority of people have bad taste.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:56 pmRasen

I don’t feel like spending too much time in arguing with you, so this response won’t be well-organized.

Your argument is looking at “absolute” value of quality. I’m looking at “relative” values of quality. So we’re arguing for two different things.

On popularity does not equate to quality, I agree. However, it is indicative of tastes.

Let’s start with the assumption that SAO is bad, for the sake of this argument.

Then yes, the majority of people have “bad taste.” This is apparent in the best selling video games (Madden ANYTHING, Grand Theft Auto, etc.) to movies like J@ck@ss, to people liking ANY sport at all. And millions or billions are spent on each.

Since businesses operate with the intent to make money, they produce things that appeal to masses. Therefore, SAO is not unique/alone. Look at Mahoukouka no Rettousei, Campione!, Hidan no Aria, Highschool DxD, Madan no Ou to Vanadis, etc. etc. The point is not to say these are quality works, but that SAO’s quality does not significantly differ from bulk of the others, at least in the eyes of the masses.

In other words, the things that bother you so much do not bother most other people as much. What this means is that your standards are different from the norm. It is a sad truth that what is normal (again, not “good”)or popular is determined by the majority. And the tastes of the majority of those who read Light Novels IS indicated by sales numbers.

And the majority do not appreciate being told what they like is low-brow or pointless. Go into a sports bar sometime and tell them they’re wasting their time and money watching an activity that produces absolutely nothing more children that want to participate in this non-productive activity, and edges out more serious student applications in colleges.

I’ve gotten side-tracked. The point I was trying to argue is that SAO’s quality is not significantly worse than everything else out there. And sales numbers are indicative of this. Because that’s how they make money. It’s also a bit of a chicken-egg problem: does SAO cause more low-quality stuff to be produced, or was that already the prevailing environment. (I’m leaning towards the latter, because as I’ve mentioned in a different post: Vampire Hunter D. And THAT one is considered a classic)

• December 16, 2012 at 6:06 pmBeckett

I think we mostly agree with each other. My main problem is not so much that the show is bad. You are right, there are many bad shows, they happen every season and we’ve all watched our share of them. My problem is more with the fans who hyped it into the stratosphere before it started. Those other bad shows you mentioned got little to no hype before they aired, so when they turned out to be bad everybody shrugs and moves on. But SAO is the Twilight of the anime world, it’s incredibly bad while meanwhile it’s inexplicably huge fanbase continue to insist that it’s actually brilliant without being able to name a single reason why that doesn’t boil down to “it’s, like, subjective man!” I guess I just need to accept this the way I’ve come to accept the presence of Celine Dion, an unexplainable blip on the radar.

• December 16, 2012 at 7:22 pmRasen

Eh. Close enough.

I guess the thing about your earlier comment that I didn’t like was that you were basically judging Kawahara’s works based off other people’s adaptations of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I see the logic of it.

However, I’m reluctant to condemn something by judging something the original creator didn’t produce. I do not like the Trinity Blood anime, but I like the novels. Same with Chrome Shelled Regios. The less said about Dragon Ball Z, the better. To use a more American/English example, I wouldn’t judge Sherlock Holmes by Robert Downey Jr.’s version. (Don’t get me wrong, I love them both. But they’re SO different.)

Now obviously, if there were plot elements, or characterizations, or characters you did not like, that’s fine. Reading the original source material would not change your opinion. But I remember earlier complaints about execution, foreshadowing, game mechanics, story transition, character’s thinking. And the thing is, Kawahara Reki DID do a better job of it than the anime. (Which should be obvious, because having watched the anime, I think it would be safe to say it would not have garnered the same level of a following by itself.) Granted, Kirito’s still incredibly competent. But anime has so many competent characters (with harems even!) that he doesn’t stand out. (And of course, after reading Vampire Hunter D, my tolerance for wish-fulfillment characters of a lesser degree is like, over 9000)

One other way of looking at the hype, was that it was not done through advertising. Which means the original source material was entertaining enough on its own questionable merits that a large number of people were excited about it. There was a certain level of genuineness to it. This is in stark contrast to say, I dunno, John Carter or Waterworld, for which the hype was generated pretty much entirely through advertising.

I’m drifting again, so I’ll try and sum up my points. Depending on which aspects of the anime adaptations of his works bother you, at least consider giving them a volume to read before writing Reki off as a producer for mass-consumerism? Also, in defense of the hype, I was one of those greatly looking forward to SAO. Not because I thought it was a revolutionary story, but because it created a world and characters I enjoyed reading about, and seeing it animated was a treat for me. (I CAN’T WAIT FOR MAOYUU, but I’m also a little apprehensive) Some shows, which are by all measures excellent, are so depressing at the end of it I feel like I wasted my life. (Because I watch to be entertained, not to be depressed. Urobuchi Gen reminds me of why I avoided everything Japanese for so long. And now Korean.)

• December 16, 2012 at 7:48 pmBeckett

Let me clarify my dislike then. The thing I have disliked about both of his works that I’ve seen adapted so far is that the characters seem like they were written by a teenager who has spent too much time on TV Tropes. All of his characters almost without exception are one dimensional caricatures with no depth. As I mentioned earlier, the difference between a great writer and a merely popular one is in creating worlds that feel real. None of the characters in these shows feel real, there is never a sense of suspension of disbelief, you are always acutely aware that you are watching a cartoon. As you rightly mentioned, there are many anime like this. By and large I accept that as a matter of course, hell probably half the shows or better that air every season are bad. But most aren’t touted as being the Second Coming of Evangelion by legions of fans before they air. There are two main things that can make me rage against bad anime:

1.) Fanboys insisting that was is bad is actually brilliant if you only “got it”. People can like bad anime, that’s taste. Hell I like plenty of shows that can’t be considered good on any reasonable objective scale. You mentioned Campione! earlier as a bad show, and I’d have to agree, but I still liked watching it, it was fun. But I’m never going to claim it was brilliant, at best it was mindless entertainment, like a sitcom.

2.) Shows that are good or even great right up until they blow it with an unbelievably badly written ending. See in this category: Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate.

Hope this sheds some light on where I’m coming from. By and large I think our opinions are pretty close so I wouldn’t call what we’ve got going on here an argument, more of a discussion ;). MAYBE I was a little harsh in my wording last night in my original post, but A.) The wound from the latest episode was still fresh, B.) I’ve been sick all week and was exhausted, and C.) The overwhelmingly “everything is sunshine and rainbows and anyone who doesn’t like a show is just a meanie hater” attitude on this site sometimes gets to me, I’d like to see more Real Talk. Apologies if anyone was unduly offended.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:13 pmGrandier

*monotone voice*

Oh no. Some anonymous blog reader called Beckett will no longer support any of Kawahara Reki’s work? Quick, someone get a hold of Kawahara and relay this detail – Kawahara’s entire career may depend on it!

*/monotone voice*

We all know you’ll be watching the last episode and pirating the BD torrents when they come out.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:22 pmBeckett

I’ll be watching the last episode, yes, because I’ve already watched 24 episodes and it won’t cost me anything to watch the last. Pirate the BD’s? I never download BD’s even from shows that I liked. I have a full time job, if I want BD’s I will buy them, and if I don’t like the show enough to buy them, then it’s a show I’m never going to watch again anyway so I don’t need them.

Also, go away, your opinion on the internet is just as irrelevant as mine.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:53 amNgai

I AM THE FAIRY KING OBERON.
    lmao… possibly the lamest kind of king possible. May as well be wearing a dunce cap and proclaiming himself the king of the losers… SAO’s weakness in story source really came through this week I think. I preferred the drama from Sugu’s arc.

• December 16, 2012 at 3:07 amAI

Vegeta : gravity? make it 300 times heavier ..

• December 16, 2012 at 3:17 amhoh

regarding the cloth damage thing. Well, these are Otakus after all. So, it’s possible that they’ve written some specific codes to satisfy their specific needs. I suppose the same cloth damage is more difficult to implement in battle situation.

Well, that was a satire.

• December 16, 2012 at 3:42 amBenigmatica

Thank Koyasu for giving me an outstanding performance that you give me more rage, but I still hate you though!

• December 16, 2012 at 4:03 amBenigmatica

• December 16, 2012 at 5:14 amD

Gotta admit, as honorable as I am as a person, I relate more to characters like Dio and OBERON than dumb heroes like Kirito.

• December 16, 2012 at 5:16 amRandom Hobo

Agreed with the fact that I was laughing when Kirito was getting bullied.
    Sugou probably is a blast at parties.

• December 16, 2012 at 5:35 amDvalinn

Oh man, this episode was more hilarious than most actual comedy shows. I was rooting for Sugou all the way through, because he really is just impossible to take seriously. The moment he started drinking Asuna’s tears I was rolling over the floor with laughter. I mean, really? This is like a bad hentai! Whahahahaha!

Of course, Kirito gets literal plothax powers at the last moment and saves the day yet again while having a friendly chat with a massmurderer. How nice.

Seriously, I haven’t seen writing this bad since Guilty Crown.

• December 16, 2012 at 5:54 amMuttsurini

try watching (well you probably all do) Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo for that kind of feel :D

• December 16, 2012 at 6:08 amYoukai

I haven’t seen the episode yet but… seriously, this image is a little misleading o_O

• December 16, 2012 at 6:19 amMuttsurini

did anyone refer it to The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ?? LOL

• December 16, 2012 at 7:01 pmSuppa Tenko

No it’s a reference to Hishe’s How it Should Have Ended: Dark Knight

• December 17, 2012 at 1:58 amMuttsurini

hahaha!! that’s hilarious man, thanks for that link! and im referring to kirito(link) receiving the world seed(uhh what’s the three stones called again? i already forgot. damn me!)

• December 16, 2012 at 6:19 amKiko

NERDS FIGHT!

• December 16, 2012 at 7:14 amRS456

That Sugo guy is a real sadist and also somewhat mentally deranged. He looks like a typical sex offender in this episode.

• December 16, 2012 at 7:21 amRS456

But I think those scenes were highly unnecessary. They could of had Heatcliff come to the rescue right before Sugo starts to force her to make out with him.

• December 16, 2012 at 8:52 amEuzio

It was explained in the novels that Heathcliff’s sub-conscious system program only kicked in at that moment when Kirito had nearly given up. Convenient perhaps in terms of timing, and though the novels never stated this, but my belief is that Kayaba’s program only activated because it sensed that Kirito’s will was failing.

• December 16, 2012 at 11:20 amcreaothceann

*could have

• December 16, 2012 at 8:25 amKairoru

That’s quite a lot of HP, for a level 1 stats.

• December 16, 2012 at 8:37 amnacht

Well, This Sugou is the truly evil version of Jade :p

• December 21, 2012 at 6:55 amVesperia

Ahh I c wut you did dar

//ToTA :3

• December 16, 2012 at 8:53 ameuler271

it doesnt mean lvl stats, but level 1 privilege as a user of the system, being the top level kayaba as creator of the system.

• December 16, 2012 at 9:24 amTez

I agree… though this story is really cool w/ great characters, but the ends of the arcs are just too convenient for my tastes and the true villains are too over the top. Hell, the only decent antagonist, Kayaba Akihik,o is being shaded as “not so bad after all”

• December 16, 2012 at 9:37 amRasen

Well, the alternative to “not so bad afterall” is “crazy like Sugou,” because what other kind of person would do what he did?

• December 16, 2012 at 9:57 amFrontier

Kayaba Akihiko was never a good man. But I think he honestly believed what he was doing with SAO would benefit the players, by placing them in a virtual fantasy, a dream world, where they would be forced to change and live out new lives. In some regards he was right, as those who managed to live through SAO, such as Kirito and Asuna, irrevocably changed and became arguably better people than they were prior to playing the game. But in no way does this justify what Kayaba did, killing thousands and causing mental scars that would never fade away, and he very much deserved to be brought down by Kirito. Though in the end, whatever the players may have gotten out of SAO was only a side benefit in Kayaba’s mind. All he was ever really after was for the world of his dreams that he could live in apart from the real world, and all the players were ultimately just a means to that end.

Kirito’s talk with Kayaba didn’t strike me as “friendly,” nor of Kirito treating Kayaba like a “good guy,” but more of two individuals with respect towards one another having one final conversation. Kirito had always respected Kayaba even before SAO, and it was only after the Black Cats that I think he finally started resenting and hating him, while Kayaba’s respect towards Kirito came from his skills and his ability to defy the system, something Kayaba thought near impossible. Whatever hate Kirito had for Kayaba he took out in full force when he killed him in episode 14, and all that was left here was apathy towards the remains of his mind.

I think that after all was said and done in SAO, Kirito came to somewhat understand Kayaba’s actions. To live in the ultimate escapist fantasy and truly leave the normal, limited, and unfulfilling reality, is something that Kirito could sympathize with. It is afterall the same reason why he immersed himself with MMO’s, looking for the same escapism Kayaba sought. The only difference is that Kirito would never have sacrificed innocent lives just to achieve it, and as he put it in this episode he “never wanted to be Kayaba Akihiko,” a man who would sacrifice thousands just to achieve his own dream.

Yeah, Oberon/Sugou was pretty over the top in this episode, even by my standards! Even Noumi never got this bad, though if we take Sugou as a prototype for him it makes sense why. I never necessarily thought of Sugou as a parody of villain archetypes, but since I saw him as just a regular businessman playing at the role of an evil mastermind, I get how others would see him as just an outright parody. I now feel a bit bad that I never found him as hilarious. But his pathetic actions in this episode towards Asuna was really a bit too much, and unnecessary. Though as a whole Sugou was never the main focus of this arc, and as a result was more of just another antagonistic obstacle in ALO blocking Kirito from Asuna than an actual character, so I’ll just be glad we’re done with him and can move on.

Kayaba’s “death” was always ambiguous, especially after he had allowed Kirito and Asuna to live. While I’m sure he’s fine with his physical body dying, I think he’d have issue with truly dying as a whole and leaving his fantasy. As such, I can see Kayaba allowing his mind to continue living within the confines of the game world, the world he was so attached to that he gave it’s data to Kirito so that it may still live on. How he got into ALO is another question, though I’m under the theory that he either hitched a ride on Kirito’s Nervegear or on the transfer of data from SAO to ALO.

So I had no problem with his arriving as “God” to aid Kirito, especially after our hero had finally vocalized what’s been his major flaw since the series began: always going it alone and trying not to rely on others. The downside of this is that while Kirito using Kayaba’s account, which I assume exists because Heathcliff being a GM was ingrained into the data of SAO used to make ALO, was pretty cool, it also made the final fight quite disappointing. In comparison to Kirito vs. Heathcliff, Kirito vs Oberon was quite lackluster. Oberon just harmlessly slashed at Kirito with Excalibur and Kirito cut him to pieces so easily to the point where it’s arguable it even was a fight. Silver Crow vs. Dust Taker, a fight that was very similar to this one in both characters and emotions, was much more satisfying.

But the best part about this episode that saved it in my mind was Kirito and Asuna’s reunion, both as lovers and as a family. Heartwarming, cute, and straightforward, as the couple’s relationship has been since the beginning. Also, major props to Suguha for pushing Kazuto to get off his butt and go see Asuna, even as the two of them were finally having a moment to themselves. That takes a lot of emotional maturity. I congratulate Sword Art Online on being able to make me like and root for both of the heroines.

So with one final episode I’m hoping Sword Art Online can pull off something very enjoyable and heartwarming with the reunion of Kirito and Asuna, and of course offer a better conclusion than this episode did. From beginning to end it’s always been a fun ride for me, even amidst tons of arguments and criticisms regarding the show and its plot, and I’ll always look at my time of watching the show, reading Moomba’s posts, and replying on my own feelings about it, very fondly and hope to be able to watch it again in the future!

• December 16, 2012 at 12:18 pminfo600

slowclap.gif

Bravo, good sir, very nicely said (Omni-style?)

• December 16, 2012 at 2:06 pmSuppa Tenko

Kayaba was indeed hitching in Kirito’s nervgear. And then he leaves something else as he leaves.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:48 pmboingman

You should really think about become a randomc blogger. Or maybe come back if you’re
      Omni. ;)
      The reunion didn’t touch me. Might have to with the fact that Asuna had been relegated to a “princess in the castle”. To me it felt like another clichee (“Oh look, the snow is falling”) event in a clichee ridden episode.

• December 16, 2012 at 8:06 pmArashi Yamato

It was mentioned in previous episodes that ALO is merely a copy of SAO revamped with a different leveling system (skills instead of level) and setting (Alfheim instead of Aincrad). This leaves the base system (Cardinal System) intact.

• December 18, 2012 at 3:19 pmMoonlight BlackCat

Are we even sure that Kayaba is dead? He could have programmed his persona into SAO to run Heathcliff while he was AFK. Heathcliff had to be in the world 24/7 but Kayaba could be on the run from the law and hiding in Jamaica for all we know. Or in prison for all we know.

Sugou probably was more concerned with his experiment than focusing on recreating the original game. So all the old ID names and accounts from SAO are probably still in there. Normally you would need a password to login, but since everyone had only one login into SAO, you could explain and say the password entry was a fake facade and there was no real password check programmed into SAO.

I personally loved the end fight with Kirito and Sugou. But if it had been my girlfriend instead of Asuna, I would have cut her free, given her my shirt and handed her my sword. I think she would have deserved the right to take Sugou out

• December 16, 2012 at 12:03 pmFuuka

I admit to fast forwarding to the Kirito x Asuna reunion. The director is much better suited to drama/emotional scenes. Although, even in the book I thought that Yui kinda ruined the scene.

• December 16, 2012 at 1:20 pmSekai

As stupid as it was, I quite enjoyed it!

But what exactly does Kayaba mean when he says that Kirito transcended the system?

• December 17, 2012 at 2:03 amkabutozero

Kirito has become “The choosen one ” cofcofneocofocofocfo

Obviously if you copy a server and leave security holes without patching you’re going to have a bad time , eh Sugou ? :)

Other players would be like , aww that’s BS , bug exploiter !

• December 17, 2012 at 6:55 amEuzio

When Kayaba said that Kirito had “transcended the system”, he was referring to how Kirito had basically defied many things that were pretty much impossible when he was in SAO. It is pure speculation at this point but we can pretty much narrow it down to these…

1) In SAO, Kirito had already achieved something that no other could porobably have, being a top clearer whilst being mostly solo. I think it was hinted or said that when SAO ended, he was the highest level player amongst everyone. It showed his determination in that he could survive all this time like that.

2) Whilst in SAO, his abilities displayed sometimes transcended the capabilities of the system itself. For example, in his duel against Heathcliff and possibly when he took on the 74th floor boss alone. Think the only other person to have surpassed the capabilities of the system was Asuna when she went to rescue Kirito from Kuradeel.

3) This would be the strongest point, but in the final battle against Heathcliff, Kirito had been defeated. His HP was already zero and he should have died. But through sheer willpower he persisted, defying death and stabbed Heathcliff, thus bringing Aincrad to an end.

The points above are just my speculation. But I think it is very viable that it is what Kayaba was referring to. The 3rd point especially would be the most likely one that Kayaba was talking about.

• December 17, 2012 at 9:05 amSekai

Ah, the first two points make sense. But for the last point I think it was explained in the comments that Kirito didn’t defy death, but merely took advantage of the short lapse of time between having your HP reach zero to actually dying. It apparently only seemed long in the anime for dramatic effect, so in that instance Kirito didn’t transcend the system.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:05 pmSuppa Tenko

After reading Mother’s Rosario, I have come to the conclusion that Kayaba Akihito is the absolute mastermind of the development from the entire world, and Accel World is probably ruled by his ghost seeing how every bit of VR tech will always stem from Akihito.

• December 16, 2012 at 2:16 pmVsin

Well, that’s the funny thing about Fairy Dance, isn’t it? As asspulled as most of the developments are, its very existence is absolutely vital for the premises of every other SAO arc.

• December 16, 2012 at 3:00 pmHunterWulf

Kinda strange when i think of the “attempted” rape scene here the one in Berserk came to my mind immedietly due to the many similarities between them .. and of course there are drastic differences .. but i’ll say it .. the scene in SAO was just pandering and pointless (i mean tearing Asuna’s clothes and molesting her) and if it didn’t happen nothing would have changed, where in Berserk the scene was central to the story and changed everything dramatically .. and that’s how scenes with a touchy subject like that should be handled .. why !!? .. read on –> but beware the spoilers:-

Edit: Berserk Spoilers:

Aside from that i did enjoy the action, the music, the themes (specially in SAO), and the relationship between Kirito and Asuna which i admit was developed somewhat nicely over the course of SAO (and got stalled in ALO).

Let’s just hope the next episode ties loose ends and doesn’t pull any more deus-ex-machina (usually one is enough per story to ruin it XD)

• December 20, 2012 at 11:05 pmMormegil

That’s because Sword Art Online is a complete Berserk ripoff.

• December 16, 2012 at 4:06 pmrandom viewer

I don’t usually comment here for SAO, but after reading this post did it leave a better “after watching experience” than just finishing the episode by itself. I didn’t think this episode was funny so after reading the comments did it got funny for me. I was put into the full mood swings from being extremely happy to seeing the reunion and then to rage with that “Fairy King cr@p” and then happy at the end.
    P.S. Total disregard for the young minds of the viewers I’d say there’s an age restriction to watch this.

• December 16, 2012 at 4:13 pmEduardo

I hope there is a season 2, just for the bitter taste of Fairy Dance to be replaced by the next arcs. Kawahara sucks at creating villains, but Mother’s Rosario doesn’t have one, Phantom’s Bullet have an acceptable one and Alicization… well, that one is far from over, and it’s villain is not properly one

• December 16, 2012 at 5:10 pmewok40k

System command: set player race to HALF-elf. EXECUTE.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the pain unleashed on the Sugou. Kudos to the VA for bringing out epic comeedic villain we can all love to hate. Animated persona was rivalling the Charlie Chaplin in “Dictator”.
    I wonder what happened to him in real world, because if he didnt get some pain-caused body damage he can be still dangerous… e.g. making sure Kirito and Asuna got into “accidents” before they alert the authorities of his “300 players experiment”.
    And with the second season coming close to ending, the question is, will there be any continuation? For all its weaknesses, I enjoyed the series enoug to want to see another season. Will the studio accept the challenge?

• December 16, 2012 at 7:02 pmSuppa Tenko

The pain causes him to think irrationally and thus he gets beaten up by a 16 year old on therapy.

• December 16, 2012 at 10:49 pmctscloud

I wonder what’s going to happen to Kirito? Since he set the pain meter to 0, wouldn’t that cause harm to someone? So, if Sugou actually died isn’t that bad for Kirito? Sugou…pedobear status there. Other than that, love when a show dedicates a whole ep for “closure”…it can never be bad!

• December 17, 2012 at 6:58 amEuzio

Well with regards to the pain thing, just watch the final episode to find out :D

• December 17, 2012 at 1:03 amcyp

I have only one question. What about the rest of the players trapped in the game? He only frees Asuna. Selfish prick! Everybody seems to forget about them.

• December 17, 2012 at 3:04 amewok40k

I assume once they alert authorities – and Asuna’s father! – usual lab of mad scientist raid ensues, with henchmen (the tentacled avatars!) being taken care of and victims woken up.

• December 17, 2012 at 5:20 amseanytan

ah in i were kirito and akihiko didnt appear i would have felt so shitty not being able to do anything grah

• December 17, 2012 at 8:02 amMrRei

LOLs to you all! RC community makes some of the funniest episodic comments around. Especially because you take all the funny shits around the internet and then put them here. I’m busy, so good job everyone! Keep the comments funny!… and, um.. idiotic! XD

• December 17, 2012 at 11:01 amItachizame

• December 17, 2012 at 11:50 amLaughingMan

• December 18, 2012 at 5:58 pmMagoiichi

Why did you keep me waiting?! XD

• December 19, 2012 at 6:00 pmLaughingMan

Draconis took a while to upload the video because he’s been dealing with copyright bullshit on YouTube. He’s now uploading his videos on his Blip account. For more info:

• December 17, 2012 at 10:28 pmhaseo0408

Kirito didn´t say Kayaba was a good but if you compare him with Sugou it´s obvious who´s the less disgusting. Kayaba had a lot of charm and he demostrated in his performace of Heatcliff and that´s what Kirito was talking about, in the other hand Sugou was just a lame bastard. If you have a choice of course you would rather fight Kayaba, at least he had the guts to see his dream throught to the bitter end.

• December 18, 2012 at 4:22 amTheMoondoggie

I’d still choose Kayaba murdering thousands with an online game where they have a fighting chance than Sugou mindraping 300+ helpless people.

• December 19, 2012 at 12:14 amFlippyCat

I wish Nerve Gear was invented…

• December 19, 2012 at 7:58 amJello

Asuna boobies ;-;…

I would like to acquire aforementioned item. Though not in the hideously disgusting way Sugou tried to. Ugh.

• December 19, 2012 at 8:02 amJello

Lack of edit button…hngghhhhhhh

Constantly hesitant about watching this episode because I had previously known from the LN the disgustingnessughomgsogodawfullygross of what would happen here. I was hoping that Kirito’s vengeance upon Sugou would overshadow it…but…I got a completely unexpected comedy episode.

I can’t help but to think of the dying scenes in Mai-Hime when I saw Asuna log out ><

• December 20, 2012 at 11:10 pmanonymous

worst anime ever created.

• January 3, 2013 at 1:59 pmAshen

As silly and bass-ackwards as it was, I still couldn’t help but enjoy the ever loving hell out of the moment when Kirito accessed Heathcliff’s admin powers. The cartoonish levels of scum and villainy that Sugou reached in this ep. were absolutely ridiculous, so while I was shocked by the brutality I was actually rather pleased with how our “hero” finished him off as well. The overall savagery itself was certainly nothing I expected, and it got me to wondering: If Kirito had been an axe crazy awesome hero from the start… oh, the possibilities. Asuna and eventually Yui as his sanity tethers… but I digress.

Overall I greatly enjoyed this episode even with the cardboard cutout of a final boss and the not-so-stealthy DEM that let Kirito save the day.