Saki Achiga-hen episode of Side-A – 13
Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A is back with the rest of the semi-finals! If you’ve forgotten what went on during the original run, I suggest you visit our convenient archives to refresh your memory, because they waste no time launching back into the majhong tanoshii (note: you wouldn’t be the only one…I had to do the same thing :X). As such, I’m going to follow suit, stop with this ridiculous intro paragraph, and start with the ridiculous mahjong instead, woohoo!
Second Round: Matsumi Yuu (Achiga) vs. Hirose Sumire (Shiraitodai) vs. Nijou Izumi (Senriyama) vs. Yasukouchi Yoshiko (Shindouji)
This was the less exciting of today’s two matches, primarily because Shiraitodai’s Hirose Sumire (Saiga Mitsuki) wasn’t a true monster. The sad thing is that she easily could have been – her sharpshooter schtick could have easily been terufying (…okay, that picture was a bad example) if she ruthlessly and unceasingly went after one player…ohandalso, if she didn’t have a tell. I don’t begrudge the story that, though. It would be a bit much if every Shiraitodai player was like the end boss of max level raid dungeon.
There was that tell, though. At first I honestly though it was a trap. Shiraitodai are the best of the best, so I couldn’t imagine one of their top players having something so obvious as a tell. I thought she did it to draw the players who noticed it into a trap – making them evade when she target them, and then revealing that evasion was exactly what she needed to win. Bam! But alas, it was not so. Once again, I don’t begrudge this–just as it’s good for not all Shiraitodai players to be monsters, it’s good for some of them to have weaknesses, lest this turn into a totally unsatisfying curb-stomp battle (trope!). Still…it woulda been awesome!!
Third Round: Atarashi Ako (Achiga) vs. Shibuya Takami (Shiraitodai) vs. Eguchi Sera (Senriyama) vs. Ezaki Hitomi (Shindouji)
This was the better round by far. First of all was the great frenemy vibe between Sera and Ako. There’s just such a great feeling of mutual respect between those two, with how often Ako is impressed (and a bit disgusted, heh) at Sera’s big wins, while Sera just smirks when Ako manages to thwart her. That’s one of the things that the Saki universe has always done well (aside from yuri and epic tile slams) – making me like all the characters on the field. That’s definitely true of both Sera and Ako.
The other reason this round was better was we had a bonafide threat in the water, in the form of Shiraitodai’s Shibuta Takami’s (Toyoguchi Megumi) lurking yakuman. For those that don’t really understand mahjong…well, you’re in good company because I don’t really either, so I’ll defer to Wikipedia on this one. You know all those 1-2K point winning hands we’ve been seeing, along with the occasional 10K+ one? Well a yakuman is more on the level of 32,000 / 48,000 (non-dealer and dealer respectively). Assuming I’m doing the math right on that (unlikely, but stick with me), that’s a loooot of friggin’ points – almost enough to end the game outright (what with how low Shindouji’s score is by now). Basically, think of drawing a royal flush when everyone has already bet a ton of money. It’s kind of a big deal.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Yuu-nee evades Shiraitodai’s sharpshooter, revealing her tell, while Ako battles Sera…& let’s Shiraitodai’s yakuman monster grow #SakiA
- I’m glad that Akado-sensei is going to take this opportunity to teach Kuro some basic mahjong. I mean come on, Kuro didn’t even notice the other players cooperating with her against Teru! Seriously, you better brush up on that before you go up against Tacos…’cause I’m not sure she’ll notice things like that either, Orz.
- Yes yes, symmetrical docking for luuuuuuck!! *full on perv mode engage*
- Speaking of: if Toki is hurt, apparently you have to make Ryuuka eat or else she’ll just stay by her until she collapses. Senriyama are still the only ones really bringing the yuri to Saki Achiga. Keep it up!
- I got chills when Funakubo was talking to Izumi about the first year monsters. We have confirmation that Shizu (and later Saki) have a monster to fight in Shiraitoday’s first year Oohoshi Awai (Saito Chiwa), but I loved it most when Izumi thought that the other first year monster was Nodoka. No no Izumi-chan, not her. It’s Miyanaga Saki. Beware Rinshan-chan, bwahaha!
- By the way, this episode made me think of Teru as much less of a demon than she’s usually depicted. I mean, bringing sweets for her teammates? D: They’re even going to make me like the end boss, ahhhh!!
- Because Shindouji has been mostly useless so far (aside from the glorious Subara), I’d like to note that the ED and the preview seem to indicate that they have some real players coming up. (Uh, I think.) About time! Do justice to Subara’s pain, dammit!
- The next ep of Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A is set to air on Tuesday, January 29th, and yes, I will be blogging it. After that it’s only one more episode…and then Saki Season 2 announcement plx? Need more Tacos, Etopen, Rinshan-chan, bad waits, bad eyes, and all the rest of that Kiyosumi goodness, woohoo!!
ED3: 「TSUBASA」 by StylipS