Reader’s Choice – Best Anime 2013 Poll »« Reader’s Choice – Favorite Anime 2011 Poll

Reader’s Choice – Best Anime 2012 Poll

Mirai Nikki   OP   02 Aquarion EVOL   OP   09 Sword Art Online   OP1.5   01
Jormungand   OP   03 Guilty Crown   OP   03 Ano Natsu de Matteru   OP   01
Nisemonogatari   OP   06 Accel World   OP   02 Hyouka   OP   01

It’s that time of year again – welcome, one and all, to the Seventh Annual Reader’s Choice poll! Do you have a favorite series you’d like to see win? Or perhaps you’re just curious what everyone else enjoyed this year? Well either way, this is the time to cast your vote and make your voices heard!

As has become our habit, there will be two polls for you to vote on this year – one for regularly broadcast TV series, and another for OVA/movies. We’re asking you for your top 5 picks in each poll, which should stop the results from being heavily skewed towards the mega-popular shows. This year we have an astounding 132 TV series and 75 OVA/movies for you to choose from, so make sure you look over the entire list before deciding. Also, please respect other people’s choices in the comments, and keep in mind that entertainment is subjective. People like what they like, so even if you might think they have terrible taste (ooo, ooo, ooo, that’s me!!), please try to respect their opinions.

Here’s the criteria we used to decide what shows did (or did not) make it onto these lists:

• For a regular broadcast TV series to be considered, it has to have finished airing in 2012. The idea is that you can’t truly judge a series until it’s over, so shows such as PSYCHO-PASS, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Space Bros, and Little Busters! will appear on next year’s poll. Series with a second season coming but a clear stopping point in the one we’ve already seen (Ex: DOG DAYS’, K) are included. To further complicate things, this year has seen a rash of shows that have sort of finished, with further episodes incoming but often under a slightly different name, such as Saki: Achiga-hen episode of Side-A and Kokoro Connect. We decided to go ahead and include those shows in this year’s poll, and will treat future episodes like OVAs.
  • For OVA/movies, it has to have been released on Blu-ray/DVD in 2012 to qualify, ensuring that viewers outside of Japan have had a chance to watch it. This mostly pertains to theatrical offerings. The difference from TV series is that they don’t necessarily have to be complete to be included, since it can take several years for an OVA series to finish. That’s why Gundam Unicorn and Towa no Quon are appearing again this year.

As far as we’re aware, the anime series list is complete, barring a handful of shows that are animated but unlike “typical” anime. The OVA/movie list is less so, but this is by design; there are lot of really niche OVAs that aren’t really worth considering. However, if you feel there’s something that deserves consideration, please leave a comment or send me an email (email works best) and I’ll add it.

Now, are you ready for this? Well you’d better be, because let the voting begin!

Note: The polls will close on Tuesday, January 1st at 8:00 AM GMT. Results will be posted in the Best of Anime 2012 post, which will be written by the three active writers who have watched the most anime this year.

December 29, 2012 at 1:53 am
  • December 30, 2012 at 9:10 amOneClaim

-Fate Zero
    -Mirrai Nikki
    -Shakugan no Shana III
    -Sword Art Online
    -Accel World

I want to add more but I can only choose 5,so I decided to show the ones that have mostly touched my heart.

• December 30, 2012 at 9:27 amOneClaim

Medaka Box,Binbougami ga,Haiyore Nyarlko,Aquarion Evol,Dog Days,Sankarea,Persona 4,Kyoukai Senjou no Hrizon II,Onii-chan Dakedo Ai,Guilty Crown,Oda Nobuna no Yabou,Kokoro Connect,K,Campione,Hyouka,Hagure Yuusha no Estetica,Amagi SS+ and Black Rock Shooter.

Well,if I add all of the anime I’ve really enjoyed this year,here they are.(There are still some anime i’ve not watched yet though ^_^)

• December 30, 2012 at 9:25 amazeriraz

Anyone know when Tezuka’s Buddha was released on BD/DVD? Was it this year or last?

• December 30, 2012 at 9:27 amAmutofan123

OMG THIS IS so friggin hard

1.sukitte ii na yo
    2. natsuyuki rendevous
    3. tsuritama
    4.Koroko no basuke
    5. bimbougami ga

thermae romae, kokoro connect, nazo no kanojo x, accel world, another, ozuma and sket dance were all battling out for top 5 as well. really hard

• January 1, 2013 at 3:37 amNirvy

wow you watched a lot o.o

• January 2, 2013 at 3:22 amAmina

Sorry for not being part of the mainstream guys looool :D

• December 30, 2012 at 10:11 amRegalStar

Acchi Kocchi, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Jinrui, Hyouka, Chuunibyou

• December 30, 2012 at 10:27 amBob Bobbersson

Surely Magi should be on the list? Not saying it’s the best anime, but it did come out in 2012

• December 30, 2012 at 10:30 amStilts

It didn’t end though. It will resume next week.

• December 30, 2012 at 10:33 amBob Bobbersson

Ah, my bad, didn’t read the conditions. Too busy fighting lions, you see.

• December 30, 2012 at 10:34 amTaiyo

Anime-
    Sword Art Online
    Fate/Zero
    Danshikoukousei no Nichijou
    Hagure Yuusha
    Kore wa Zombie Desuka?

OVA/Movie-
    From Up on Poppy Hill
    Hagure Yuusha
    Seitokai Yakuindomo
    Gundam Unicorn
    Code Geass

The tales of symphonia ova was a huge disappointment… What happened to Lloyd fighting Kratos for the Flamberge and the crafting of the Eternal Sword?

• December 30, 2012 at 11:01 amdsafds

Accel World
    Sword Art Online
    Btooom!
    Sket Dance

• December 30, 2012 at 11:45 ambriex

132 TV series & 75 OVA/Movie ??? this is so friggin’ hard.

anyway, my pick this year..
    TV Series:
    1. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 2
    2. Nisemonogatari
    3. Sakamichi no Apollon
    4. Chihayafuru
    5. PapaKiki

OVA/Movie:
    1. Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito
    2. Strike Witches Movie
    3. K-On! Movie
    4. Minami-ke OAD
    5. KamiNomi Tenri-hen

• December 30, 2012 at 12:17 pmRyan S

It’s a shame that the sheer beauty of Uchuu Kyoudai isn’t qualified. It definitely obliterates all the other shitty uninspiring anime that came out this year.

Uchuu Kyoudai is very well the “good kid m.A.A.d. city”/”Bish Bosch” of 2012 anime.

• December 30, 2012 at 7:56 pmMatroid

Uchuu Kyoudai is such a gem that I’m sure it will get the credits it deserves next year.

• December 30, 2012 at 12:23 pmDomo-kun

In the poll, chuunibyou is mispelled as chunnibyou

• December 30, 2012 at 12:40 pmUrman

Fate/Zero
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    Jormungand
    Tari Tari
    Kukoro no basket

• December 30, 2012 at 12:51 pmAnimeluverz125

BEST ANIME 2012
    1. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    2. Kamisama Hajimemashita
    3. SKET Dance
    4. Area no Kishi
    5. Acchi Kocchi

Ahhhh, Sukitte Ii na yo., Sakamichi no Apollon, & TARI TARI were so close to making it on my top 5!! That was so hard.

• December 30, 2012 at 12:56 pmSteven Den Beste

Mouretsu Pirates is the best show of the year.

• December 30, 2012 at 3:38 pmAll Fiction

Chuunibyou
    Nisemonogatari
    Tari Tari
    Saki
    Mirrai Nikki

I didn’t see Fate/Zero on the list. Otherwise I would have picked that.

• December 30, 2012 at 4:50 pmLaughingMan

It’s there. Look again.

• December 30, 2012 at 3:39 pmKuro

Best Anime 2012
    1. Sword Art Online
    2. Chunnibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
    3. Shakugan no Shana Season 3
    4. Ano Natsu de Matteru
    5. Guilty Crown

These were fun to watch. I would’ve chosen more but these are my top 5. Kuroko no Basket was one of the most entertaining I had watch. Luckily there is season 2. Happy New Year Everybody!

• December 30, 2012 at 3:44 pmAll Fiction

The first 1st half of SAO was godly.

• December 30, 2012 at 11:28 pmAiM

if you worship satan

• December 30, 2012 at 4:15 pmMontu

Wow, for a second I wasn’t too sure if I saw Hellsing Ultimate 9. I had to confirm it real quick.

• December 30, 2012 at 4:19 pmR

Is there a reason why Smile Precure is on the list when it’s not over yet?

My 5 choices are, in no particular order:

Binbougami ga
    Chihayafuru
    Girls und Panzer
    TARI TARI
    Yuru Yuri♪♪

I loved Nisemonogatari and Fate/Zero as well, but I decided to give the underdogs my vote because they entertained me just as much, if not more. With the exception of Yuru Yuri (because I knew what I was getting into), all of the titles I voted for caught me completely by surprise and still upheld an air of quality storytelling that I felt deserved my vote.

I also enjoyed Oda Nobuna no Yabou and Hyouka, but those two came to mind long after this gut reaction list.

This last season is undeniably the strongest of 2012 for me, ending an amazing year in anime. Psycho-Pass and Shin Sekai Yori are sure to get my vote for 2013.

Thank you to all the RandomC writers for all your hard work.
    Here’s to another great year of wonderful shows next year!

• December 30, 2012 at 4:42 pmMgMaster

Fate/zero – I obviously don’t need to say anything about it at this point :P

Another – DEM CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS!It just kept me wanting for week after week.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! – I was interested in the PV,quite hooked after the 1st episode and it didn’t disappoint till the end.Don’t see how any1 wouldn’t find this at least decent(doesn’t mean it has to be in their top list of course).

Jormungand – I actually started watching this after the 1st season was almost over since I assumed(by god knows what stupid reason) that it was just weaker version of Black Lagoon only to enjoy it more than that and to facepalm myself at what I was missing.

Muv-Luv Alternative:Total Eclipse – I’m still surprised this one is so underrated.I know it has it has several flaws but there are MUCH worst shows that are viewed in a MUCH more positive light.Maybe it’s because it introduced me to the awesome Muv-Luv universe that I never even heard of till’ then but I also thought it was a good show on it’s own.I wonder if I’m one of the few who thinks this but the main characters just grew on me over the course of 6 months as I found their development quite entertaining,especially Yuuya’s growth.

Already got 3 for the best of 2013 poll as well unless something manages to surpass Zetsuen No Tempest,Psycho-Pass and Sakurasou in the next year.Oh,and happy near year!

• December 30, 2012 at 5:12 pmtaiakun

Looking from the list, I expect this year’s poll return to be one of the most varied in recent times. There hasn’t been major standouts like last year (Steins;Gate and Madoka were clear cut from the rest). It is not that the quality of anime has dipped. If anything, there are too many good series to pick from.

My picks (in random order)
    - Fate/Zero
    - Acchi Kochi
    - Chuunibyou
    - Jormungand
    - Can’t remember whether I chose Hyouka or Ano Natsu de Matteru…

By the way, you missed Acchi Kochi OVA as well I think.

• December 30, 2012 at 5:44 pmmeg2541

I voted for Bleach and Hiiro no Kakera. Bleach is my favorite anime and Hiiro no Kakera is my newest favorite anime. Hiiro no kakera is amazing and wonderful romantic story. It was at a good pace not too fast not to slow just right. the characters are also great.

• December 30, 2012 at 7:49 pmMatroid

I like Bleach TV, too. If there were a long-running series category, I would have voted for it. I just think it is an unfair comparison between a long-running series and a genuine season-based series, because the former has the luxury of time to develop the story in more details and bring in many more new characters.

• December 30, 2012 at 6:21 pmPassbyer

my vote:
    series:
    Fate/Zero
    Girls und Panzer
    Jormungand
    Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
    Nisemonogatari
    special mention: Another, Btooom!, Kokoro Connect, Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, Sakamichi no Apollon, Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A, Sword Art Online
    ova/movie:.hack//Movie, K-ON! Movie, Steins;Gate Special

• December 30, 2012 at 8:47 pmArcad

My vote in no order was:
    High School DxD
    Campione
    Kokoro Connect
    Symphogear
    and my number one was hands down
    ACCEL WORLD!! That anime (especially towards the end) had me on the edge of my seat cheering. No other series gave me that kinda reaction.

• December 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm0927123

Man this is what I get for playing Skyrim all week, 300+ comments!

Anyways will go with what I enjoyed the most, in no particular order:

Hyouka
    Guilty Crown
    Oda Nobuna
    Fate/Zero
    Nyaruko

• December 30, 2012 at 9:41 pmRoguespirit

Hyouka
    Girls und Panzer
    Black Rock Shooter
    Acchi Kocchi
    Nazo no Kanojo X

Although I wonder it GuP is really qualified since it technically hasn’t ended yet. Still what we have is indeed amazing so it gets my vote for being the most entertaining show of the year and exceeding everyone’s expectations.(the ones who gave it a chance anyway). GuP is aparently the most successful anime Actis has ever produced. They’ve had to start another run of blu-ray production to keep up with demand, and the Final episodes and OVAs aren’t even out yet.

• December 30, 2012 at 10:05 pmNyangoro

Top Five Series:
    - Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
    - Sakamichi no Apollon
    - Lupin the THIRD: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
    - Chihayafuru
    - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Top Five OVAs/Movies:
    - From Up on Poppy Hill
    - Hotarubi no Mori e
    - UN-GO #0
    - Sakasama no Patema
    - K-ON! The Movie

Honestly, I wish I understood Japanese so I could have finished Hyouge Mono.

• December 30, 2012 at 10:39 pmShuA

See overrrated hates toward SAO in this thread–> number of thumbs down toward comments which supports SAO

• December 30, 2012 at 10:46 pmName (required)

my top five list:
    -ANOTHER
    -hyouka
    -fate zero
    -CHUNNIBYOU
    -jormungand

• December 30, 2012 at 11:42 pmHuarriuteus

-Sword art online
    -Kokoro Connect
    -Chuunibyou
    -Hyouka
    -Kuroko No basuke

• December 31, 2012 at 12:26 amcul dud

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 31, 2012 at 1:20 amSpz

Shakugan no Shana, Saki, Hyouka, Jinrui & Girls und Panzer

Very hard this year, not because theres a lot of good titles, but because none of them are really ‘omfg this is THE BEST EVER’, like last year when we had, for example, Madoka.

• December 31, 2012 at 1:25 amAnanas

Taking a look at the list I can see only three serious candidates.

Hyouka, very inconsistent, sometimes average, often decent, really good or plain excellent at times. Anyway, Hyouka’s festival arc is far above anything else that was made this year.

Nisemonogatari, some terrific scenes here and there. Some pacing issues. Overall best candidate.

Jinrui, a slow first half overshadowed by its genius second one. Jinrui was more of a necessary show than AOTY material compared to the two above but it did leave the strongest impression. Time Paradogs.

• December 31, 2012 at 1:33 amBlueFalcon

My favorites are:

- Chihayafuru
    - Fate/Zero
    - Hyouka
    - Jormungand
    - Sukitte Ii na yo

• December 31, 2012 at 2:02 amEspada

Hellsing X not on the list?

• December 31, 2012 at 2:58 amiyArashi

Series:
    - Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II
    - Ebiten
    - Girls und Panzer
    - Binbougami Ga!
    - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

I chose these five because these are the shows that always left me satisfied after each episode. These are also shows I watch every now and then to cheer myself up because I know at the end I’d be grinning like an idiot. The best anime of 2012 for me is one that I would still watch in the future and still get the same enjoyment out of it that I got when I watched it the first time around while anime that I can appreciate more everytime I watch it is something that will stick with me forever; and that’s Kyoukaisen.

OVAs:
    - Steins;Gate Special
    - The iDOLM@STER Shiny Festa OVA
    - To LOVE-Ru Darkness OAD
    - Seitokai Yakuindomo OAD
    - Amagami SS+ SP

As for these five, well pretty much the same deal as above — any anime that one can enjoy watching over and over again is definitely worth being called the best.

• December 31, 2012 at 8:54 pmiyArashi

Okay… I just saw the last 4 episode of Kokoro Connect and I’d be damned if I didn’t give it a place in my list. With that said, I’m bumping up Kokoro Connect to Girls und Panzer’s place (since it hasn’t really ended yet) and my revised list is as follows:

- Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II
      - Ebiten
      - Kokoro Connect
      - Binbougami Ga!
      - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

• January 2, 2013 at 3:20 amAmina

so did i but now its too late to put it in. so damn annoyed.
        it was tug of war. why did they only put the last episodes now

• December 31, 2012 at 3:38 amAkiyama Yukari

1. Girls Und Panzer
    I watch this show for the tanks. And Nishizumi-dono.

• December 31, 2012 at 6:29 amNgai

Highschool DXD
    Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai
    Jinrui wa suitai shimashita
    Hyouka
    Nazo no Kanajo X

4th and 5th were a little hard to place for me. Were some others but I really loved the other 3 (no particular order). By no means watched all the series though!

None of the few ovas I’ve seen particularly made an impact, Jinrui’s are cool (not on list/doesn’t qualify) and Hyouka’s was nice in a kyoani/fanservice way (but made my eyes bleed in its web stream quality). To love-ru darkness ova on the otherhand…pretty awesome =D

If psychopass or tempest were for his year, they’d probably have made the list.

• December 31, 2012 at 9:40 pmpluskin

lol as much as I want it to happen, I know they won’t nominate Study x Study for best ED of 2012. they should though, because …

…um…

…it was so well animated >.>

…*coughs and shuffles away*

• January 1, 2013 at 3:29 amNgai

Wouldn’t mind that ED for the whole of season 2 =D It was ridiculously awesome (with likely a massively disproportionate share of budget).

I hoping Stilt’s ecchi side will call him to give DxD ED a special mention :P Look forward to him hopefully covering season 2, unashamedly gushing over is potential awesomeness… For an ecchi series though, it has a lot to live up to.

• December 31, 2012 at 6:44 amhamDemiya

My choices(anime):
    -Fate Zero
    -Hyouka
    -Chuunibyou
    -Kokoro Connect
    -Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Honarable mentions(shows I would have chosen if I could choose more than 5):
    -Muv-luv alternative total eclispe
    -Acchi Kochi
    -Girls und Panzer

• December 31, 2012 at 8:40 amaelove

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita!!!!! needs more lovin. That show was amazing, I hope it does well overall. My other picks were Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou, Nisemonogatari, Joshiraku and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I’m all in for comedy. This year wasn’t really a big one for me, especially considering last year was so mindblowing with four-star worthy shows like Steins, Madoka and Penguindrum. Props to Another, that would’ve been my next choice, I still get nervous around dolls with vacant expressions. or dolls in general.

also…never thought i’d live to see the day bleach was on this poll.

• December 31, 2012 at 11:22 amPerlaNemesis

Hmmm, many good anime came out this year but only Fate/Zero really stands out. I also voted for Hyouka, Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai and Sakamichi no Apollon although I don’t view them as worthy “Best Anime 2012″ title. good series but not enough. Sadly, I had to put Jinrui wa Shimashita on-hold due to school and didn’t have chance to resume. And I didn’t even touch Sukitte Ii Na Yo & Toonari no Kaibutsu-kun. They seem like awesome series. :/ Maybe if I had seen these series, I would have better opinion of 2012.

• December 31, 2012 at 11:30 amNatasha

1.Hyouka
    2.Chihayafuru
    3.Sakamichi no Apollon
    4.SAO
    5.Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

I wished I could add, chuunibyou, accel world, nazo no kanojo and sukitte ii na yo as well!!

OVA
    1.Steins gate
    2.HAGANAI
    3.accel world

Happy new year!!

• December 31, 2012 at 11:51 amInsertWittyNameHere

In no particular order:
    -Tsuritama
    -Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)
    -Jinrui
    -Danshi Koukousei
    -Natsuyuki Rendezvou

Sakamichi and Tonari were my other top 5 candidates.

• December 31, 2012 at 2:27 pmSoraNoKaze

Fate Zero is the best anime of 2012.

• December 31, 2012 at 2:55 pmArcad

One Im noticing about peoples opinions, we all have our own opinions of what we thought was the best of the year. Just cause someone else doesn’t agree doesn’t mean you gotta disapprove of their votes.

• December 31, 2012 at 5:27 pmMatroid

I think disapproval of someone’s vote is a legitimate part of discussion. But personal attack would be one step too far.

• December 31, 2012 at 4:11 pmNaiika

Did you guys even finish coverage of Hyouka? Just askin’

• January 1, 2013 at 4:35 amTheMoondoggie

Verdant got bored of it I think…. 19 was the last episode posted.

• December 31, 2012 at 4:38 pmJotaro

Where’s Jojo?

• December 31, 2012 at 5:08 pmDa5id

Didn’t finish this year, it only started.

• December 31, 2012 at 5:45 pmcshin9

In no particular order:
    -Another
    -Chihayafuru
    -Nisemonogatari
    -Persona 4
    -Sakamichi no Apollon

• December 31, 2012 at 6:04 pmKuro

A quite disappointing year, although there’s a lot of good animes, non of them actually impress me much. In the last few years, we have code geass, FMAB, Steins;Gate, but this year, meh

Guess I’m gonna go with Fate Zero and SAO

• December 31, 2012 at 6:13 pmboingman

Sword Art Online competing with Guilty Crown for biggest disappointment, considering the hype it gathered before it started? I don’t any other titles that gathered so much hate.
    Nah, I still think that this award will easily go to the Code Geass ripoff, while Fate/Zero will probably be voted the best anime of 2012.

My favorites: Fate/Zero and Horizon

• December 31, 2012 at 6:45 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

I’d say SAO was much better than GC for the first arc and good for a story wrote by an amateur at the time iirc.

• December 31, 2012 at 9:31 pmpluskin

nah, man. GC was the biggest disappointment because it actually had potential. The character and animation were great, the music was phenomenal. All it had to do was come up with a competent story and everyone was ready to call it the greatest anime of this generation. Instead we got this…

• January 1, 2013 at 3:31 amJonz

SAO? Guily Crown? Biggest Dissappointment??
      You’ve got to be kidding, SAO and GC is just overrated show, but is still quite okay.
      The biggest dissapointment this year has got to be Aquarion Evol. Only god knows how disapointing I am for this show…. x_x

• January 1, 2013 at 3:33 amJonz

grammar error: disappointing = disappointed :P

• December 31, 2012 at 7:09 pmkondee

I’m going to go on a major rampage if Fate/Zero isn’t anime of the year or if the mediocre SAO gets it (no offense SAO fans, I sat through 20 episodes already so I don’t wanna seem like I’m hatin’ for no reason…I actually liked it a bit at some point).

Don’t get me wrong, 2012 has a fair share of solid finished titles that I enjoyed like Humanity has Declined or Another but Fate/Zero just grabbed me by the balls and made sure my eyes stay on screen at all times plus you got to admire how ambitious it is even if you disliked it.

• December 31, 2012 at 8:02 pmAnon

Loved F/Z here myself, but I think the material itself was too dense for most people. Recommended it to a few friends and they dropped it because “it didn’t have enough action.” It’s true that it starts slow, especially given that the first ep was double length.

Despite SA:O squandering opportunity at being great and morphing into an entirely different show in the second arc, it was still one of the most entertaining shows this year for me.

• December 31, 2012 at 9:26 pmkondee

That’s disappointing dude, I thought there was a lot of good action if people managed to get through the slow parts. When it happens it’s gorgeous. I recommended to friends to better success.

SAO didn’t do it for me but I’m glad you managed to enjoy it. Though my reaction to it seems venomous and exaggerated, I do agree that this is a celebration of anime in general for 2012. As long as any fan of anime gets entertained either way it doesn’t matter what show it is, I’ll consider it a good year.

• December 31, 2012 at 7:14 pmkondee

Aw man…I wonder why I’m so pumped for this as if this were the Oscars? I read Best Anime 2012 poll and the adrenaline just kicks in. It is not healthy for the fanboy side of me…

• December 31, 2012 at 8:16 pmMatroid

Any fan of this web site can easily watch over 10,000 hours of anime per year. After dedicating such a large chunk of our lives, it is only natural to want for some justification for our effort so that we can do it again next year. An annual ritual of “best” anime election is all that it takes to give us a sense of collective achievement. No, it is no longer an election– it has become a war to prove that I Watch Anime Therefore I Exist. You bet people are pumped. You should be. I surely am. This is what it means to be a fan.

• December 31, 2012 at 8:20 pmMatroid

Okay, 10,000 hours was just figurative. More like 200 hours to be realistic…

• December 31, 2012 at 9:15 pmkondee

Cheers to that! If I were in a Hyperbolic time chamber…I will easily consume 10,000 hours. To another year of anime!

• January 1, 2013 at 1:20 amMgMaster

o.O,you’re my hero,well said :D

• December 31, 2012 at 7:31 pmThrice-Great Hermes

So what’s been good this past year in anime.

Fate/Zero
    Aqurion Evol
    Muv Luv Total Eclipse

Well that’s about. happy new year people.

• December 31, 2012 at 8:07 pmris

why i don’t see Daily Lives of High School Boys
    i love that anime

• December 31, 2012 at 10:24 pmSenshi

Then go vote for Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. That’s the Japanese name for Daily Lives of High School Boys and that is what they have up for the poll. It along with Fate/Zero comes up as my favorite this year.

• December 31, 2012 at 8:54 pmcoins

can i change my vote to include kokoro connect?

because damn those last 4 episodes were good!

• December 31, 2012 at 9:00 pmYuki

In my opinion, best anime of 2012 is definitely:
    Hyouka
    Chuunibyou
    Fate/Zero
    Shakugan no Shana

And….. K-On the movie =)

• December 31, 2012 at 9:22 pmpluskin

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: GUILTY CROWN
    Everything was lining up to break new ground in anime and the best it could deliver was a story by committee. All side characters were one dimensional. They blatantly recycle overused story elements and fanboys have the gull to call it “homage” or “nostalgia”.

• December 31, 2012 at 10:34 pmWissenschaft

My picks in no particular order:

Fate/Zero
    Mirrai Nikki
    Muv Luv Total Eclipse
    Jormungand
    Eureka Seven AO

Best OVA by FAR: Unicorn Gundam Episode 5.

Biggest Disappointment of 2012: GUILTY CROWN

• January 1, 2013 at 12:43 amSenshi

Oh man, if only the OVAs for Kokoro Connect was up there, I just finished watching it a while ago and it was amazing. I think I enjoyed that arc as much as or even more so than the first arc which was what I considered to be the best arc in that anime until I saw this OVA. I would definitely have voted for that if I had not voted already and/or if it was included in the OVA/Movies poll.

• January 1, 2013 at 12:59 amNya~

so hard to choose since most of animes sucked or didn’t give u the ” this is the best anime i’ve ever watched” feeling.. however, I think if i had to choose it would be:

Kamisama Hajimemashita, Kuroro Connect n maybe bleach since it ended in 2012 hahahaha XD

• January 1, 2013 at 3:59 amDafer

to put in my list
    1.Kyoukai senjou no horizon
    2.Fate/zero
    3.K peoject
    4.Accel World
    5.Shagukan no Shana 3

• January 1, 2013 at 4:01 amFatty

Looks like I missed the deadline, but I’ll post for the fun of it anyhow!

1. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II
    2. Tsuritama
    3. Nisemonogatari
    4. Daily lives of Highschool Boys
    5. Rinne no Lagrange

Biggest disappointment has to go to SAO for me (it’s just edging out guilty crown). I adored SAO’s first episode, but it all started to go downhill from there… I couldn’t even finish Fairy Dance.

• January 1, 2013 at 5:56 amknight

1.kyoukai senjou no horizon
    2.accel world
    3.Sword art online
    4. chihayafuru
    5. fate zero

this five make people want to watch more and excited every episode best top 5 but still got more

• January 1, 2013 at 8:33 ampokpok

1 Mirai nikki
    2. Hyouka
    3.Fate/zero
    4 Nisemonogatari
    5.Jormungand

• January 1, 2013 at 6:05 pmHideyoshi

1.Guilty Crown
    2.sword art online
    3.danshi kokosei nichijou
    4.another
    5.chunnibyou demo koi ga shitai

• January 1, 2013 at 6:56 pmLaughingMan

How come Hellsing OVA 9 and 10 and Berserk Movie 2 are missing?

• January 1, 2013 at 9:34 pmVsin

Gundam AGE for most underappreciated Anime of 2012. Poor show was dead before it even hit the air. It’s not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it brought a solid number of interesting ideas to the table.

• January 1, 2013 at 10:12 pmJin

#1 Fate/Zero
    #2 Fate/Zero
    #4 Fate/Zero
    #4 Fate/Zero
    #5 Fate/Zero

Special consideration for Guilty Crown. Despite how fucking terrible it was, it is the one anime (along with Fate/Zero) that will ultimately be the most memorable for me in 2012.

In all seriousness it was an excellent year of anime but its a cluster fuck deciding spots 2-5.

• January 2, 2013 at 6:48 amnagi

NOOOO I missed the poll :((((

Just for the fun of it..

-Fate/Zero
    -Chihayafuru
    -Ano Natsu
    -Mirai Nikki
    -Kokoro Connect

• January 2, 2013 at 2:52 pmfairx

Haha.. missed coz of work..

Just for fun then, my list in no particular order would be:

Tsuritama
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
    Girl and Panzer
    Jormungand

ah… Moretsu Pirates break my heart… sigh~~

• January 10, 2013 at 10:00 amMukuro Rokudo

In order for me
    1. Fate Zero (ALL TIME BEST ANIME GRAPHICS and it has a very good story)
    2. Sword Art Online (Best anime for its 1st arc, but Alfeim was a little boring and quite a disappointment @_@)
    3.Another (One of the best twist ^_^)
    4.Sket Dance (I love this show though it has a not so good ending)
    5.Kore Wa Zombie Desu ka of the Dead (though its a personal preference I guess) ^_^

• January 11, 2013 at 10:26 pmYoshi

1) Sword Art Online
    2) Accel World
    3) Mirai nikki
    4) Chuunibyou
    5) Shagukan no Shana 3

• January 11, 2013 at 10:51 pmD

How to start an argument:
      1) SAO