Photo Kano – 01 »« GJ-bu – 01

Date A Live   01   22 Date A Live   01   23 Date A Live   01   24
Date A Live   01   25 Date A Live   01   26 Date A Live   01   27
Date A Live   01   28 Date A Live   01   29 Date A Live   01   30
Date A Live   01   31 Date A Live   01   32 Date A Live   01   33
Date A Live   01   34 Date A Live   01   35 Date A Live   01   36
Date A Live   01   37 Date A Live   01   38 Date A Live   01   39

「四月一〇日」 (Shigatsu Ichi Rei Nichi)
“April 10th”

The official start of one of the more anticipated series of the season (according to the RC poll) is finally here, and suffice to say, it’s a tale of two halves. Indeed, the thing most people will come away with following this first episode was the rather drastic difference before and after the eyecatch—as the first half was ended up quite typical (how about that kick?) in terms of introductions, and the latter ended up escalating things quite quickly with a variety of sci-fi, action scenes. As such, Date A Live’s premiere ends up being something that seems like it’ll be a hit/miss depending on your preferences—as some may consider the first episode slightly rushed—but I feel as though it does enough to warrant some of the hype it’s been given, as well as a continued watch.

And for me, a large part of that belief comes from the feeling that there’s definitely something here to work with. For one, the animation seemed quite fluid throughout—lending itself to some pretty flashy scenes that are arguably worth watching the series for alone. Some aspects seemed somewhat grainy at times, but it seems like it’s more of something that came from the raw source itself, rather than reflective of the series’ production values. In addition, there’s a decent balance between the comedic and serious elements here—though the less serious elements were definitely more prevalent this episode. A proper mixture of the two could really make or break a series, and for now, it seems like Motonaga Keitarou’s doing his usual in terms of that aspect—though this doesn’t end up particularly surprising, as you’ll remember that I noted his superb adaptation of Jormungand possessed this aspect as well.

Moving on, it seems like there’s also a fairly large cast to work with as well—and subsequently a fair amount of side plot lines to go along with the whole spacequakes (150 million dead to start things off!), spirits appearing and needing to be eliminated plot lines we were given this first episode. It remains to be seen if this ends up developing well or not, and whether or not it’ll just end up being another type of Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, which it seems to share some similarities with. Though I suppose, even if the latter ends up being the case, it’s not quite a bad thing… considering how well received that was.

Looking forward, the general impression I get is that there’s definitely something worth watching here. Hearing some things from LN readers about how they seem like they’re going to rush through the novels has me slightly apprehensive, but I do love the rather distinctive style the series seems to have (especially the occasional sci-fi elements incorporated within). Of course, it also helps when you have someone like Itsuka Kotori leading things as the commander of an anti-spirit organization—as her 180 through the first episode was quite entertaining, and she’s voiced by Taketatsu Ayana too.

Full-length images: 22.

Series Note: Due to various changes in the coverage schedule (more on that at a later time), some authors will be changing series. As such, it is unconfirmed whether or not Date A Live will continue receiving coverage past this episode. The schedule will be updated in the next week to reflect these changes.

ED Sequence

Date A Live   ED1   01 Date A Live   ED1   02 Date A Live   ED1   03

Date A Live   01   Preview 01 Date A Live   01   Preview 02 Date A Live   01   Preview 03
April 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm
  • April 5, 2013 at 7:38 pmK

Personally I think that seirei’s outfit is pretty. Will keep watching this series, and I hope it will continue to be covered on RC.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:40 pmAnimesetsuna

I can’t wait to see how Shido is going to date To… I mean Seirei.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:46 pmagr0n

The first episode was great the idea of girls showing up with a bang is cool and the main character’s sister’s role spices things up, especially when you consider her masochistic second-in-command. His sister’s kick I was feeling that damn that had to hurt luckily for him she didn’t aim lower.

• April 6, 2013 at 1:45 amos

her sister is like 7 years old, but that is cute.

• April 6, 2013 at 2:56 pmdestiny

shes 14 btw.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:53 pmoliviaven

I hope the adaptation will cover at least to volume 4 ^^

• April 6, 2013 at 12:21 amDarke

Given v3 and v4 are two halves of the same story, they’ll either have to do a two volume adaption or four volume. And from the current pacing I think they’re going too fast to be only looking at adapting two volumes.

• April 6, 2013 at 12:49 amsortedevaras

Indeed especially since they can finish v.1 in one more episode if they really wanted to.

• April 6, 2013 at 3:11 amAnimesetsuna

How many chapter are there in each volume?

• April 6, 2013 at 5:01 amDarke

Five chapters plus prologue and epilogue, assuming they’re required (v3 lacks epilogue, v4 lacks prologue since both volumes are half of a single story).

At the end of the episode they’re approximately 75% of the way through chapter 2 of v1, so I’m guessing they’re looking at this taking about three episodes. I don’t think they could compress the rest of the volume into a single episode so it only takes two.

• April 6, 2013 at 6:35 pmZnail

3 episodes per volume makes 12 episodes for the first 4 volumes and seems like a good pace. Not much were lost in this episode either.

• April 5, 2013 at 8:03 pmKuntzy

Those battle outfits… as expected of Tsunako. Fanservicey with a hint of mecha inspiration. They even adapted Tsunako’s designs pretty well so I’m happy.

I wonder how many people were lauding the superiority of the Taketatsu Ayana voiced Kotori to her other imouto counterpart this season only to have it crash and burn?

Anyways, hope this keeps getting covered.

• April 5, 2013 at 8:05 pmsortedevaras

Is it too early just to crown Kotori best girl?

• April 7, 2013 at 12:43 amThe Moondoggie

• April 7, 2013 at 9:00 pmSilver

Yes too early. She’s pretty awesome but the other girls are also pretty damn awesome as well. You will see soon…

• April 5, 2013 at 8:16 pmWanderer

I don’t know whether to keep watching this or not. It’s very pretty, but I’m not sure if I find it interesting enough.

I should mention, if you stop covering this, it will serve as a serious blow to the chances of me continuing to watch the series. I kind of hope you don’t stop, because there isn’t much else that’s caught my eye this season.

• April 5, 2013 at 8:37 pmTre

On a semi-related note, this is another anime that is going to continue streaming on Niconico before the TV airing, right?

I really hope that doesn’t become a trend, unless the streams become high quality. Right now this is really bothering me, since discussion on these shows are going to be happening well past what I’ve seen (it’s hard for me to go back to watching things in low quality).

• April 5, 2013 at 8:52 pmZephyr

Yeah, it’s another one of those NicoNico streams that’ll be slightly ahead of the actual TV broadcast.

• April 5, 2013 at 8:44 pmOwaranai

I’m tilting towards the light-hearted side here. The premise of spacequakes and spirits are interesting, of course, but what’s one to think when you end the episode off with the male lead being asked to do something as ludicrous as play a galge in order to ‘defeat’ the spirit?

Regardless, I think its a pretty decent start. Didn’t feel like I was rushed through the explanation of the premise and with the simple introduction of characters, it’s a good way to build some anticipation in character development. Definitely pretty to look at, though. Will be following this.

• April 5, 2013 at 11:20 pmhaseo0408

You find it crazy? Just imagine how poor Shidou must be feeling playing galge by her sister´s orders.

• April 6, 2013 at 5:07 amDarke

As Reine and Kotori mentioned, the galge is his “training” for making the spirit fall in love, not the actual way-of-doing-so. They apparently share the same belief as Tonomachi that galges teach the user all one needs to know about interacting with women… or in this case spirits. :P

• April 5, 2013 at 9:01 pmMagoiichi

I want a gif of Kotori’s dance, NOW!!!

Kotori’s cuteness grabbed my attention and the simple humor alongside the decent (cliche, but enjoyable) action is why I’ll continue to watch.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:07 pmThe Moondoggie

IMO, decent pacing and removal of non-important scenes and dialogues. But attempting cramming 4-5 volumes in 15 episodes seems a bit short.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:21 pmsortedevaras

Boku wa Tomadachi ga Sukunai crammed 8 volumes into 2 short seasons, maybe this can too.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:46 pmThe Moondoggie

I don’t read Haganai’s LN, so I wouldn’t know.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:28 pmmichaelman90

From the previews it seems they may only do the first three volumes? Can only hope they don’t try to do more than that in one season..

• April 5, 2013 at 10:07 pmKuntzy

Well, we know they’re covering vol. 3 since one of the characters introduced in the PV’s is introduced in vol. 3. By extension though, they have to adapt at least part of vol. 4 since vol. 3 ends on a cliffhanger (and a pretty awesome one at that).

• April 5, 2013 at 10:09 pmmichaelman90

Just because volume 3 ends with a cliffhanger doesn’t necessarily guarantee that the anime will go past it into volume 4. For all we know they may plan on doing two seasons, we’ll just have to wait and see; not that your scenario isn’t the most likely.

• April 5, 2013 at 10:25 pmKuntzy

Well… it kind of does in this case. I don’t want to put spoilers or anything but just trust me. Let’s just say that vol. 3′s ending and the beginning of vol. 4 are part of the same scene. If it’s split cour then maybe they could get away with it like in Fate/Zero, but I doubt it is.

• April 5, 2013 at 11:12 pmhaseo0408

The original light novel is highly popular in Japan so there´s a posibility for second season, also the author releases the volumes at a crazy fast speed, seriously, volume 5 was just release and volume 6 already had a release date. So far adapting volume 3 is confirmed by the PV but throwing an original ending would ruin the story.

• April 6, 2013 at 7:31 amLalaland

Volume 7 was just release a few weeks back, volume 5 and 6 was release last year August and December

• April 6, 2013 at 8:04 amLalaland

Whoops, sorry haseo I didn’t read your post properly, apologies.

PS: you can ignore my above comment.

• April 6, 2013 at 7:58 pmhaseo0408

Don´t worry, by the way, I just heard volume 9 is supposed to be release late this year. As I said before, this author sure writes fast.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:31 pmLalaland

They are probably going to cover up to vol 4… Which I hope it won’t end as a train wreck, also they seem to have skip some information, and the RIBBONS! those RIBBONS!, also this. http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/457/tonomachi.jpg , they skip the rankings of Tonomachi and Shidou

• April 5, 2013 at 9:42 pmLightnDark

DAL aka – My little sister couldn’t possibly call me onii-chan and be this tsundere at the same time!

(Taketatsu Ayana and her little sister roles <3)

• April 5, 2013 at 9:45 pmZephyr

That and, my little sister couldn’t possibly be a commander of an anti-spirit organization. :P

• April 5, 2013 at 9:58 pmbaseone

I’m ok without the pantyshots

• April 5, 2013 at 10:11 pmmichaelman90

I think those were there just to impress the whole “generic happy family little sister waking her brother up” anime cliche; it was probably intentional for reasons other than just fan service.

• April 6, 2013 at 6:43 pmZnail

They had a bit more meaning in the LN, but that part were cut as it was one joke that was quick to tell in the LN but would take a few mins in the anime.

• April 5, 2013 at 10:36 pmAndmeuths

I have a theory that our MC was once prominent in dealing with Spirits, had his memories wiped, and Kotori is a fake sister (in the same manner as a Rolo Lamperouge), and his normal everyday life was actually a gift and a blessing.

• April 5, 2013 at 10:48 pmShadow74

I find it hard to decide whether to follow the anime or just keep aware of how advances in randomc or other blogs who see it.
    I think it would be good to give him a chance as a comedy / romance cliche of the season, gave me good laugh and I liked the appearance of the spirit, two points to see the next episode and see how it goes.
    Good job Zephyr, great publication.

• April 5, 2013 at 11:06 pmhaseo0408

Finnally! I´ve been waiting for this series ever since its announment and read all the tranlations of the light novels so far so I´m really exited. Please, please someone cover this series, I beg you.

• April 5, 2013 at 11:43 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

As someone who rarely has seen the manga version before the anime version of things, I can say that it definitely switched up unexpectedly for me.

With the way it started out (and from scans and such), it looked like it would be some sort of slightly darker fantasy-style story (I mean, seriously, the first event happening being a weird phenomenon killing 150 million people sends that kind of message, lol). Next thing I know, it suddenly gets all bright and cheery (even though it was said that the spacequakes still occurred) and seeming like a typical harem style anime. Then, it’s suddenly a bit darker again with the whole spirit aspect, seeing Kotori as the freaking head of a huge, secret, organization. Then it switches BACK to being brighter and cheery again with Kotori basically making the way to FIX things IS practically turning Keitarou into a harem lead essentially, lol.

Okay, not exactly, but at least it sets an actual premise/reason for it happening rather than it seeming pretty “random” like most typical harem anime are.

So, personally, I’m looking forward to see where this goes.

• April 6, 2013 at 5:13 amDarke

The LN is pretty much identical in it’s bright/dark swapping, though it’s never quite as bad as, say, Cube x Cursed x Curious, it can get a little grim at times. Though it’s a bit more pronounced in this anime episode since they do it a bit quicker so it generates a bit of whiplash. :P

• April 6, 2013 at 4:28 pmFarHorizon

Yes the whiplash … it hurts.

So not sure what to make of this.

• April 6, 2013 at 12:50 amdaikama

Hmm… different than what I expected. Like HalfDemonInuyasha, I also though the show switched gears unexpectedly back and forth. I get the feeling reading the LN would help a lot.

I thought the show was interesting enough to justify watching the next episode. It looks like it could be a fun ride, but I hope the pacing settings down a bit. It’s a little disconcerting reading comments that it appears to cover several volumes of the LN. That’s may work in some instances, but there are enough examples when that also doesn’t work.

Guess we’ll have to see how out pans out. Bring on episode 2.

• April 6, 2013 at 3:51 amPedoBear

Man that Kotori looks cute and delicious in every angle! Hmmm PedoBear approves!

• April 7, 2013 at 9:03 pmThe Moondoggie

You haven’t seen everything this show has to offer yet, sensei. Keep watching.

• April 6, 2013 at 3:55 ampokpok

that twin tail red hair kotori is number 1 right now

• April 6, 2013 at 4:57 amLondo

Shido needs to learn the art of getting girls from the grand master Katsuragi Keima. Only by learning from the best can he “see the ending”!

• April 6, 2013 at 6:06 amswordhack4

I’ve never read Date A Live, but looks very entertaining, and I loved the PV. If nothing else, I’ll keep watching for the visuals, but the story seems awesome!

• April 6, 2013 at 8:18 amQuikbeam

I am kind of torn on this one, the first episode was not exactly what i was expecting. It was enough to keep my interest so far, so i will probably give it 3 or 4 more episodes before deciding whether i will keep up with the show or not.

• April 6, 2013 at 8:36 amCybersteel

Kotori may not be actually Shido’s real sister. Maybe his parents died or something and he has amnesia? Shido might actually have some powers and is actually a 20 something year old dude.

• April 6, 2013 at 12:50 pmTakurannyan

I see what you did there

• April 7, 2013 at 8:30 amSnooSnoo

Well if you looked at the light novel covers you will see that Show Spoiler ▼

• April 11, 2013 at 1:29 amd-LaN

• April 6, 2013 at 3:23 pmAnanas

So far the animation is the only thing keeping it alive.

• April 7, 2013 at 8:58 pmSuppa Tenko

RATATOSK! USE AIN SOPH AUR!

• April 8, 2013 at 7:26 pmlivevoid

Gotta admit, episode 2 was a lot better than episode 1.

• April 23, 2013 at 11:15 amzasxkok9

The light novels were far better because they were more detailed… The anime plot is too fast-paced, and sometimes the animation is a bit jerky… I want more Tohka!