Shingeki no Kyojin – 19 »« Shingeki no Kyojin – 17

Shingeki no Kyojin – 18

Shingeki no Kyojin   18   01 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   02 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   03
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   04 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   05 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   06
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   07 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   08 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   09
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   10 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   11 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   12
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   13 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   14 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   15
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   16 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   17 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   18
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   19 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   20 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   21
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   22 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   23 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   24
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   25 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   26 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   27
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   28 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   29 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   30
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   31 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   32 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   33
Shingeki no Kyojin   18   34 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   35 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   36

「巨大樹の森 ―第57回壁外調査②―」 (Kyodai Ju No Mori ―Dai 57 Kai Kabe Gai Chosa (2)―)
“Forest of Giant Trees ―57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (2)―”

This week on Shingeki no Kyojin, the 57th Expedition continues… and it’s probably best to just name it the 57th massacre or something. After all, when you have one Titan single-handedly demolishing everything in sight while playing yo-yo and soccer with human bodies, there just aren’t any other words to describe it. And ultimately, it’s just as the group says it themselves:

Things are even bleaker than expected.

The suffering just never stops with this show, and it’s something that starts right off the bat this week as Jean, Reiner, and Armin are almost forced to leave one of the group behind. As it turns out, they end up being saved by Krista before they have to make that decision, but gosh darn, things really could’ve turned out quite grim for one of them there. Either way though, it just goes to show that despite all this suffering, there’s still some kind of hope—in the context that you just might find the person you want to marry sometime during all the fighting. Of course, Reiner ends up having those exact thoughts this week, but yeah, that’s probably the only light hearted moment we’ll get for a while, heh.

In any case, the majority of the episode ends up being devoted to Erwin’s intriguing decision to continue the operation despite the entire right flank being demolished. At this point, it’s quite obvious that he has something up his sleeve—aside from the fact that the forest is theoretically the best place to fight using their 3D gear—although it seems like they won’t be revealing it just yet. Normally it’s here where I’d start speculating a bit, but considering the sheer amount of possibilities, I’ll instead focus on one of the things I felt was important this week.

And that thing involves how most of the soldiers didn’t seem to have any idea why Erwin decided to continue the operation (let alone lead them to the forest), but decided to follow their orders regardless. Likely this was in part due to the soldiers’ innate trust in Erwin in general and the belief that they likely wouldn’t have any additional luck dealing with the Titans themselves even if they did try to run off, but at the same time I felt like it was symbolic of the things mentioned last week. At this point, Erwin’s decision clearly has some tactical basis for it, but there’s arguably more to it. In many ways, it’s a confirmation and a test of the resolve they had when they signed up to join his squad, as well as of their ability to obey orders that could lead to their deaths.

In the end, It’s one thing to believe you can do something, but a whole other matter to actually act on your convictions when push comes to shove. Of course, it’s highly possible that this wasn’t part of the equation at all—in terms of being actually a reason why Erwin decided on this tactic—but it’s still interesting regardless because of how it theoretically serves an additional purpose either way. Indeed, it can’t be a good feeling just sitting in the trees waiting for the enemy to come (and potentially surround you while they’re at it), and it definitely feels like there’s a lot more going on here besides just tactical maneuvering.

Overall though, it looks like we’ll be hovering around a bit in a kind of “wait and see” mode over the next few episodes as we let things take their course and develop. Generally it looks like there’ll be less things to analyze as a result, but it seems like it’ll be in exchange for a large amount of action scenes (not that I mind in the slightest). Until next week!

Full-length images: 07.

Author’s Notes:

• Please scroll down to the first comment for important changes in policy regarding spoilers and speculation. Note that the zero tolerance policy on spoilers still applies.

Shingeki no Kyojin   18   Preview 01 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   Preview 02 Shingeki no Kyojin   18   Preview 03
    August 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm
    • August 10, 2013 at 6:26 pmZephyr

New Policies Regarding Spoilers and Speculation

After taking into account what happened last week and considering the various views regarding speculation being allowed or disallowed, I have decided to try implementing some new policies in order to try and compromise between those that want to speculate and those that would rather have the show reveal things instead. As such, please note the following:

For Speculation

EDIT: Please note that there’s a bit of a hiccup here at the moment, regarding tags specifically for speculation. So if you’re speculating on something POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT TO THE STORY, please use usual spoiler tags and write in bold that it’s speculation, and I’ll edit it for you.

For Spoilers
      Please keep these to a minimum and try to only use this if you’re responding to a question someone asked. Make sure to use spoiler tags when responding to a comment with a spoiler. As usual, any spoilers without tags are subject to the zero tolerance policy as per the usual. This involves deletion of your comment and a banning.

Otherwise, there is no change in the tags used for this. For your reference though, the html for putting in spoiler tags has been included below:

• August 10, 2013 at 6:39 pmstarss

This is what happens with discussing blow-out popular shows online. – _ -

• August 10, 2013 at 6:43 pmZephyr

Indeed. But yeah, I mean it’s just a testament to how popular the series (and the site is), so it is what it is.

The general thing is I don’t exactly want to make it so people can’t/don’t speculate at all, as it’s part of the commenting/blogging experience, but at the same time it’s also quite obvious how such speculation could lead to spoilers very easily etc.

So I’m hoping this compromise works out. Bit more work adding those tags in, but at least it’ll be better than not having any speculation at all, and those who don’t care for it can ignore it as they please. Also, this way we shouldn’t have speculation being downvoted to oblivion either.

• August 11, 2013 at 12:38 amEspada

we don’t have such policies with other anime based on manga
        so why does SNK has this special policy?
        why dont we remove for us to comment for such anime like you did with the chatbox

• August 11, 2013 at 2:38 amEspada

oh well
          here’s some spoiler for the girls ^_~

• August 11, 2013 at 6:27 amAnanas

People opening spoiler tags and then being spoiled. Logic.

• August 11, 2013 at 7:49 amZephyr

Actually, it’s always been site policy that you shouldn’t be spoiling things past what’s covered in the anime when it’s based on a manga. It’s just usually been loosely enforced. And if you’ve been looking at the comments and reactions over the last 18 weeks, Shingeki isn’t something we can afford to loosely enforce this rule with.

Even then, I’m still at least considering ways to let people comment as they please, so let’s not make it look like I’m just preventing you from discussing or anything. If anything, I’m trying to give you more ways to comment, as otherwise you’d be downvoted to oblivion immediately and there really wouldn’t be a point for you to comment at all.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:54 amGermanguy

Just a Question to be sure. Is this Rule for all the Postings on the entire Website? or just here for this Anime?

If the 1st is True, then i must go back to my old Forum pals. Sorry, but Speculation is Salt and Pepper for me. I can not life without them

• August 12, 2013 at 7:56 amZephyr

It’s only for Shingeki. And uhhh, it’s not like I’m saying you shouldn’t post speculation at all, just that you should take extra care when doing so.

• August 12, 2013 at 9:46 amGermanguy

Okay, i got it then, Thanks.

No Sweet, i am not following this Anime anymore.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:31 pmvane

in that scene where the Female Titan suddenly appears in the Forest I jumped from the chair… I think that even for those who follow the manga, Shingeki no Kyojin anime is being a surprise.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:39 pmBass.EXE

I like the new policy, Zephyr. Thank you for keeping an open mind and compromising with your readers instead of trying to rule with an iron fist like some other, shall-not-be-named blogs.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:39 pmBass.EXE

Oops, that was supposed to be noted as speculation. Guess I messed up the tag a little. (not that it really matters in this case)

• August 10, 2013 at 6:45 pmZephyr

Well I just removed the tag for now since it’s nothing that needs a tag so… yeah. You can feel free to test run the tag below though, and I’ll remove em’ after.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:39 pmMagoiichi

Female Titan? More like Yandere Titan.

I can’t tell who has it worse, the humans or the horses :(

One thing I really love about this adaptation is that the music and the animation really adds a fresh feeling to every moment even if you read the manga before. For example, the music in this scene made it feel like something from a horror movie.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:54 pmLinkark07

I would lol so much if someone draws the female titan with the yandere Yuno pose.

• August 10, 2013 at 8:49 pmVagrant

Agreed.

To see the carnage and complete disregard for her enemies animated, and then hear the futility in the voices of the recon guys… just… wow

• August 11, 2013 at 1:50 amIncognito

Female Titan doing Yuno Gasai’s “yandere trance”? Yes, please! (That and a long overdue one of Kurumi Tokisaki, but I digress…)

Anyway, upon seeing the Female Titan jump in the air and proceed to make short work of the Survey Corps soldiers, I was immediately reminded of this fanart:

The comments say it all.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:46 pmHorus

I’m not going to like the next several episodes. I’m literally feeling a little sick.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:49 pmtsukioniisan

Run forest! Run! That last chase scenes just sent shivers down my back. And, damn… that guy who was spun around like a yoyo. Such a harsh way to die.

• August 10, 2013 at 10:17 pmRyuuzaki

they change the way the one legion reinforcement’s way of dying, im pretty sure he was smashed in a tree, im actually looking forward for that to be animated. what a let down. dahell is wrong with me starting to get hyped on how people will die in this series :S

• August 10, 2013 at 6:50 pmKurama

Speculation ▼

• August 10, 2013 at 6:52 pmKurama

Ahhhh, damn it, I’m sorry, I did it wrong. You can delete my comment, I’ve never used a tag on here before, and I thought you had to write your comment below it, but then I realized that’s what “Speculative comment here” meant. Sorry, I feel stupid.

• August 10, 2013 at 6:53 pmZephyr

You’re missing the ‘Speculation’ ‘Hide Speculation’ bit on your tag before.

It’s spoiler ‘Speculation’ ‘Hide Speculation’ within the <>.

**Updated it for ya. And don’t worry about it. :P

• August 10, 2013 at 9:22 pmMi-Chan

zephyr, for future reference, how is this done?

Test: i hate your face

Test 2: i still hate your face!

/thisisatestpost

• August 10, 2013 at 9:23 pmMi-Chan

ok that doesn’t evenw ork-_-’

• August 10, 2013 at 7:19 pmPsithief

• August 10, 2013 at 7:23 pmPsithief

(These speculation tags still don’t work, I typed it in and everything. :( )

• August 10, 2013 at 7:42 pmZephyr

Yeah, see the edit on my first comment eh. Just note it’s speculation and use the spoiler tag for now. I’ll manually modify your comment if need be.

• August 10, 2013 at 9:20 pmMi-Chan

Kurama, I totally agree with you on that one. Adding that with that thought, the person I linked most to that titan suddenly didn’t add up, there’s someone else in the equation. I want to know, I want to know! *waits patiently for another week*, there’s many things I enjoy about this anime, and perhaps this weekly wait that makes my blood boil, cheers!

• August 10, 2013 at 10:11 pmRyuuzaki

i think he knew. he is like a combination of brains of armin and balls of steel of mikasa afterall.

• August 11, 2013 at 2:06 pmjhpace1

My own $0.02:

• August 10, 2013 at 7:14 pmLeena

KRISTA WHY SO CUTE??

• August 10, 2013 at 8:51 pmVagrant

Goddess~!

Personally I’m a little partial to Petra o_o

She’s waaaaaaaaay cuter in the anime than in the manga

• August 10, 2013 at 10:08 pmRyuuzaki

exactly! the first time i saw petra, the only thoughts that ran in my head was, “was petra this cute in the manga? wtf did i miss while reading!”

• August 10, 2013 at 7:16 pmKoroshiyaKi

Reiner, you will have to fight Ymir if you want Christina.

• August 10, 2013 at 7:20 pmPsithief

Wrong season, troll.

• August 10, 2013 at 7:44 pmPsithief

*facepalm* Was that spoiler, speculation or off-hand random comment? I don’t even know anymore.

• August 10, 2013 at 8:06 pmLuxor

Just to clarify what Koro-sensei said, Ymir says to Christa in episode 6,

So it’s this season, not a spoiler, not speculation, and is just a random comment. Seriously, I think someone people are afraid of anything that looks remotely like a spoiler. -_-;

• August 11, 2013 at 12:40 amkarice

Though she’s still known as “Freckles” in the credits, apparently…

• August 10, 2013 at 7:31 pmNadester

Dat Ass :P ….. http://i.imgur.com/RHwV4oY.jpg

• August 10, 2013 at 7:47 pmselma

now this is really the mark of a good anime, it is still extremely thrilling to watch even when you’v already read the story and knew what was coming ! this episode ws too good and too short !

• August 10, 2013 at 8:01 pmBear

There are cliffhangers and then there’s “I just went over the handlebars” cliffhangers. That dead stop as Levi was about to fire his flare gun totally caught me off guard.

The animation certainly enhances an action story like this.

• August 10, 2013 at 8:23 pmMeldoy

Holy shit the female titan just pick up the humans and smash them like rag dolls. Wonder how Levi’s squad is gonna deal with her…

• August 11, 2013 at 1:57 pmjhpace1

I’m thinking Levi is going to run. The problem is, the Female Titan doesn’t tire, as long as she has sunlight, she can regenerate any injuries, so what’s the max speed of a thoroughbred horse? And for how long? The Female Titan is running better than that.

• August 10, 2013 at 8:49 pmkanade_

Time to read manga. Anime is too slow to follow.

• August 11, 2013 at 12:47 amWrong

LOL one chapter is around 40-50 pages, what do you mean by slow ?

• August 11, 2013 at 1:02 amVagrant

Good luck, manga takes a month to update in between releases OTL

• August 10, 2013 at 8:51 pmSenjougahara Hitagi

Christa caught me off guard for a sec there.. now I want to marry her, too.

• August 10, 2013 at 8:53 pmVagrant

Reiner, Ymir and Jean(?) (and maybe the other commenters) might object to that

• August 10, 2013 at 9:41 pmSenjougahara Hitagi

I’m gonna fight for this love!

BTW got to agree with this dude below, that reverse harem was as fast as lightning :D

• August 11, 2013 at 12:43 pmhaseo0408

Back off dude! I saw her first!.

• August 10, 2013 at 9:00 pmTez

Wow Krista… Never seen a reverse-harem form so quickly.

• August 10, 2013 at 9:07 pmEspada

Ill just leave it here
      Click it on your own risk
      Manga > Anime

• August 10, 2013 at 9:13 pmWrong

no LOL, you got trolled by the author

• August 14, 2013 at 1:56 pmAnoBakaDesu

• August 10, 2013 at 9:17 pmVagrant

LOL WTF!

That was an osm fake! roflol

• August 10, 2013 at 9:19 pmTerrorhunt

Dafuq?…

• August 10, 2013 at 10:05 pmRyuuzaki

trolled lolol!

that krista angel-titan looks awesome though

• August 11, 2013 at 2:07 amEliteF22

LOL, that’s hilarious.

• August 11, 2013 at 7:38 amAnanas

• August 11, 2013 at 8:01 amechykr

Funny that Connie is still so minature despite acquiring Titan powers.

Mikasa has her abs emphasized, while Armin, being the intelligent one, now has a bigger head.

• August 11, 2013 at 11:29 amRider

… and that’s how Connie becomes a giant… of two meters. e_e’

• August 14, 2013 at 8:19 pmNaYa

Hahahaha
        Oh, poor Connie…

• August 10, 2013 at 9:17 pmTerrorhunt

Back when I read the manga, I was under the suspicion that Krista might (keyword: might) be the Female Titan. Obviously I’m wrong.

That aside, the animation for this ep are simply superb. Hope it’ll continue for the next ep.

• August 10, 2013 at 9:18 pmMi-Chan

I am loving Jean’s development very well in this series, up from the start and to here, you can sense it very well. Armin’s quick wit was just nice to follow through. I think it wasn’t fair why Erwin did what he did, not telling people why they are to jump to their deaths for, I do believe though that he had two thoughts in mind: (1) he either didn’t want any spill of information since this isn’t the first time the female titan has come (obviously they knew her well), (2) he wanted to affirm the new joiners position. Either way, I am not happy about it. [don't know if I should put speculation tag, this is in your post anyway.] I can’t wait to see Mikasa though, I’ve missed her xD I want the trio to be on one team again ;__;. Thanks for your review, M.

• August 10, 2013 at 10:04 pmRyuuzaki

krista or petra?! mikasa or sasha?! why is it so hard to decide?! can i just trip the harem flag?

• August 10, 2013 at 10:26 pmKurama

Why not all of them? Or if you just want one, I’d be happy to take the other three.

• August 11, 2013 at 2:47 amRyuuzaki

ill allow to let you have armin :P

• August 10, 2013 at 10:27 pmVincent

DAMN YOU CLIFFHANGERS!!!111oneoneone

• August 10, 2013 at 11:08 pmRadiosonde

And the Female Titan skips pass one defender,gets through another….and she scores!! 1-0 to the Titans!

• August 10, 2013 at 11:23 pmShinobi

• August 11, 2013 at 12:55 amName (required)

• August 11, 2013 at 8:06 amechykr

Only that you’ll get killed by the sheer G-force for this one.

• August 11, 2013 at 1:53 pmjhpace1

More like an old-fashioned slingshot, aka David and Goliath. But since it’s steel cable and a body harness, those G-forces must be up in the teens. The guy was dead before he was let go.

• August 11, 2013 at 1:24 amVagrant

SnK is like GoT.

The manga readers are waiting to the “red wedding” episode(s) to see/ctahc the non-manga readers reaction.

Now you know why we we’re all depressed/hyped/shocked and stuff months ago…

• August 11, 2013 at 1:46 ambaseone

GOAL!!! and the Titans go wild!!

Seriously man look at those three’s faces. It’s good that they add a little bit of comedy(?) in this kind of situation.

• August 11, 2013 at 1:51 pmjhpace1

• August 11, 2013 at 3:21 amc2710

Never knew SnK has goddesses

• August 11, 2013 at 4:25 amewok40k

despite all of the misery, could not stop having those thoughts:
      Attack of the 50 feet tall woman!
      or, if you are more H-minded:
      Attack on TITan!

• August 11, 2013 at 4:59 ambollworm

Zephyr’s comments lauding the combatants for deciding to follow orders and having faith in Erwin’s decisions during battle is naive. Following a leader and a plan is what soldiers are trained to do, and there are severe penalties if they don’t in most armies. Having discipline to not break ranks under intense pressure as the Levi group did at the end with the female titan bearing down on them was laudable. Even a whiner like Jean stuck in there and fought well. I guess his constant bitching and questioning is needed for the storyline but it is annoying. Armin deserves the goddess, they make a good couple.

• August 11, 2013 at 8:04 amZephyr

Errr… I never exactly lauded anything. You’re mis-reading.

I just said a statement that the Erwin’s decision could be construed as something more than it is (that is, a test of resolve). Considering Jean himself mentioned how commanders that lose their soldiers’ trust tend to be back-stabbed earlier in the episode, it’s important to note that because Erwin himself may not be immune to a back-stabbing of some sort (especially since you’re still dealing with a lot of fresh recruits rather than fully trained, experienced soldiers).

If anything you’re incorrectly applying real-life military scenarios to Shingeki and assuming everyone there is as well-trained or disciplined (when they’ve obviously shown times when they haven’t been). Furthermore, your severe penalties thing only applies in the context of “if they get caught” or “if someone has anything against it.” Considering this isn’t a modern army in the modern age, it’s quite easy to say, off your commander without anyone noticing and then just report back to HQ that he was killed in action by a Titan (not to mention people would be more prone to doing so in the Shingeki universe just because of the kind of fight they’re in).

Whether or not Erwin would be so easily killed is another thing, but yeah, the basic thing is you’re somewhat off base in terms of understanding what I said and in terms of applying modern military aspects to a universe whose military is equivalent to being hundreds of years behind.

• August 11, 2013 at 8:08 amMgMaster

Jean is like,the most human character out there so it’s only naturally for him to be questioning the commander’s orders.The other members of the recon corps are either seasoned veterans,complete weirdos,superhumans or an all in one package.I think he makes an excellent addition to the Recon Corps as he’s like a breath of fresh air among them or that character that one can sympathize with the most.Armin might also fit the same category,he’s just smarter.

Also,I agree that those two would look good as a couple :P

• August 11, 2013 at 6:19 amMagoiichi

• August 11, 2013 at 4:05 pmSekai

The sad thing is, they probably do. The problem is that the female Titan is just that much better! If it weren’t, Levi would just hack its head off.

In other news, I have to figure out a better way to play the game!

• August 11, 2013 at 6:19 amRider

• August 11, 2013 at 7:41 amAnanas

• August 11, 2013 at 11:06 amVagrant

At least now we know how they fit the budget for all those action scenes LOL

• August 11, 2013 at 2:38 pmAnanas

• August 13, 2013 at 8:59 pmmichaelman90

I’d rather they cut costs in these scenes than in the more important scenes. I’ve noticed some of the repeated clips/animations, too, but they’re perfectly acceptable in my opinion when you consider the quality of everything else.

• August 11, 2013 at 4:07 pmSekai

Surely a better theory is that Mikasa is just as popular in the Titan world as she is in ours?

• August 11, 2013 at 4:15 pmSekai

A terrifying episode indeed, what with the perfectly placed,cominous music.
        I loved eyeryone’s response to Kristy, as well as Eren’s: Ah, Capt.Levi wants me to think for myself in order to gain experience! Wait wha-WHAT DO YOU MEAN NONE YOU HAVEN’T A CLUE WHY THE HELL WE’RE ALL HERE??!!

Also, if it’s not a spiler then could someone explain to me what happened to the other outlying towns (such as Shiganshina) when the Titans broke through Wall Maria?

• August 13, 2013 at 3:19 amVagrant

No mention anywhere, but I’d assume they were also evacuated and/or abandoned.

Judging from the distance between the outer wall and the middle wall, and just how titan populated the area is, being isolated in the outer wall without a supply route or reinforcements is pretty much a death sentence already.

But would be interesting if they actually bring it up later on in the anime/manga.

• August 11, 2013 at 8:04 amechykr

• August 11, 2013 at 8:04 amechykr

• August 11, 2013 at 8:10 amechykr

Eren (thinking to himself): Corporal Levy seems to know what he’s doing. Guess the others too know that he could be trusted if he’s not panicking.

(Looks at Petra and the other’s terrified concerned looks)

Eren: OMGWTFFFF???

• August 11, 2013 at 8:37 amJel

Jean is becoming the most refreshingly relatable character. Sure he’s whiny and complains a lot, but isn’t it natural to wonder what the plan is after they were told it was supposed to go a certain way, and not being told any new information? He’s much more sensible to actually kill a comrade to betray them, and will listen to orders but he probably just wants to know the reasoning behind what they are doing versus being a loyal dog that doesn’t speak.

Armin’s train of thought is interesting as always.

Levi’s squad has so much trust in him. Can’t believe they didn’t just attack after realizing that the female Titan was ridiculously dangerous. Props.

Can’t wait for next week to see what Erwin has planned.

• August 11, 2013 at 1:44 pmjhpace1

What an episode. It kept up the tension nearly the entire time. I known I’ve complained about the pace in the past, we should be at episode 6, not 18, but oh well.

Spoilers in case I trip over something important:

• August 11, 2013 at 4:56 pmZhinvu

• August 11, 2013 at 9:41 pmAaa123

Touhou 14 is out and there’s a shingeki no kyojin reference in it…

• August 12, 2013 at 2:46 pmStarFang

This is the demostration of Murphy’s law in anime format.

When they shall do the anime version of Popper’s Falsifiability?

• August 12, 2013 at 10:12 pmzandy

Where does everyone watch SnK? I think I need a new website. Please help

• August 12, 2013 at 10:20 pmKurama

What do you mean where does everyone watch it? Crunchyroll, Animefreak, Funimation, Animefushigi, Animeon, Goodanime, Gogoanime, and I could list many more.
        Though try to watch it on Crunchyroll, because it’s legal.

• August 13, 2013 at 8:46 pmmichaelman90

For better quality you could torrent a fansubbed mkv version and watch it in a media player, though that’s technically illegal.

• August 13, 2013 at 8:54 pmmichaelman90

SPECULATION

Of course, this is all just speculation so I could be wrong.

• August 14, 2013 at 10:48 pmarimpact

I’m just sad that at this point just about all the blog and youtube reaction/review media i follow of anime only watchers have been spoiled now, the new policy is a pretty clear indication that this site was hit as well. I guess like mentioned it can’t be helped, but some of the Speculation posts I read were clearly manga readers posing as speculators. Sometimes I wish the anime watchers wouldn’t read the comments on their blog or youtube but that usually doesn’t happen until too late. ugh.

• August 17, 2013 at 1:34 pmKevin L.

To be honest, it’s just like anything that’s an adaption of something that has existed long ago.

People who have seen the original medium of the intellectual property feel like they should be able to talk about and express excitement about what’s going to happen next in this new way of experiencing the series they’re a fan of.

Likewise, these same people want to compare how things are panning out and being realized compared to the original medium the story took place. For these people, they can’t seem to grasp, although rather self-centered, why would anyone not consume the work in its original format on top of this new away of experiencing the show.

Whether it’s a book-to-film adaption or a manga-to-anime adaption, it’s never going to go away these issues.

In this case, what needs to happen is easier ways to subcategorize those who have read the manga vs those who merely got exposed to the series via the anime. Of course, it’s easier said than done and most bloggers don’t have the know-how to do so or the CMS they’re using makes it very hard to execute this reliably.

If these things happened, there wouldn’t be this conflict.

• August 21, 2013 at 11:45 amAshen

Okay first things first: I thank you wholeheartedly for your spoiler/discussion/speculation policies. I think it strikes a fair balance for those who want to let the series unfold without prior knowledge of the source material, and for those who are already fans of AoT and want to speculate or discuss the adaptation and/or the progression of the story beyond this point.

As for the episode itself, I’ll borrow what I said over at Crunchyroll: Absolutely top notch. I just love this show to no end when it goes full force into battle tactics and war stratagem. I feel like it’s at its best when it shows the many facets of war (fear, cruelty, insanity, life-and-death decisions, forethought, planning, and experience vs. instinct).
      The aerial fights never disappoint, and in this case I think the anime builds on and exceeds the manga; such an immersive sense of movement, size, and speed is elevated by animation and sound. This I feel AoT has done better than any anime I’ve seen in recent memory.
      Finally, with that in mind, the adrenaline and fear are conveyed in such incredibly visceral fashion, to me it is nothing short of palpable.

There are issues with AoT, for sure, but at times like this I feel they’re all worth it. I can definitely see myself buying this on BD someday; I can’t imagine it won’t be dubbed, being as popular and as potentially lucrative as it is.

Thank you for continuing to cover this anime and to offer your analysis and thoughts. It makes the experience just that much more enjoyable.